• fontgeeksogood 10 Apr 2019 07:32:54 5,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    She at least waved at you
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Apr 2019 07:49:40 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah finished it last night, easy 10. Really quite sad she's not making any more.
    And Killing Eve is being held back in the UK :(
  • souvlaki 10 Apr 2019 11:17:47 899 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    Babylon Berlin - 9/10

Loved this. Apparently the most expensive non-English language series ever made, and it shows. It's really rather different from the novel on which it is based, but I don't think the changes to the plot harm it in any way.

Technically it's 2 series of 8 episodes each but they were broadcast back-to-back and there is no clear break between series 1 and series 2.

Based on this recommendation I started watching it the other day and it is easily the best things I've seen in a long while. Absolutely brilliant.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Apr 2019 12:39:01 19,022 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah finished it last night, easy 10. Really quite sad she's not making any more.
    And Killing Eve is being held back in the UK :(
    If it makes you feel any better she's had very little to do with the second season apparently.
  • SweetMrGibs 10 Apr 2019 12:43:52 1,177 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Walking Dead S9 - 9/10

One of the best seasons. Getting rid of a couple off characters was the best thing to happen to it. The new baddies are so damn good.

I'm tempted to give Fear a go.
    Fear the Walking Dead season 3 is fantastic. In fact, one of the earlier episodes (called '100') is better than the entirety of the parent show's recent seasons (Season 9 notwithstanding). When you realise what the '100' refers to... goosebumps.

Edited by SweetMrGibs at 12:49:48 10-04-2019
  • wobbly_Bob 10 Apr 2019 13:12:43 5,008 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ultraman (Netflix)- stop me if you've heard this one before but.... a high school student has to come to terms with his emerging superpowers while reluctantly embracing his magical destiny and battling a series of enemies that he eventually defeats with the power of determination and friendship.

Boring, badly plotted shit with that sorry 3d cell animation that makes it look like a PS3 cut scene. Takes something that could have been interesting and makes it as mundane as humanly possible.

8/10 (relative to the genre)
    I couldn't get on with it at all. The action sequences are really boring and samey. It's ridiculous that baddies stop and wait while the good guys have a chat or do what they have to do. For example in the second episode it waits while he talks to his dad and then waits again while he transforms. They also stop and wait while either one has a good old monologue. If it's not enemies fighting or waiting around to fight it's characters spitting out torrents of exposition. I made it to episode 4 or 5 before giving up on it.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Apr 2019 10:41:27 6,968 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Making A Murderer (S2)

While I 'enjoyed' S1 I had my doubts over whether they could stretch this case out over another 10 episodes.

Turns out the approach of S2 shifted quite a bit, from S1's "this is the injustice of the American legal system" to a "who dunnit" style documentary (while confirming the US legal system is still completely broken).

Definitely worth watching if you liked the first part, and I have to say Avery's new lawyer, while a bit creepy-looking, is one tough and very smart cookie, who I found extremely compelling to listen to.

9/10

Breaking Bad (S1-5)

Rewatched this for the 4th time (yup), and it's still perfection. Best TV series ever made in my book.

Will no doubt watch this a 5th time at some point.

11/10
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Apr 2019 10:44:20 24,255 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

Breaking Bad (S1-5)

Rewatched this for the 4th time (yup), and it's still perfection. Best TV series ever made in my book.

11/10
    Good man. I have seen around 5 times. Love it.
  • KnuttinAtoll 11 Apr 2019 10:56:09 6,968 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

Breaking Bad (S1-5)

11/10
    Good man. I have seen around 5 times. Love it.
    I really can't get enough of the BB universe, where, even if nothing much happens, it's very enjoyable to watch.

While I don't rate BCS quite as highly (9/10, as it drags at times - BB moves at quite a pace consistently in comparison), I'm really looking forward to the next season.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Apr 2019 19:38:46 14,768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Happy Valley (S1)

I've seen it mentioned on here a few times as being a decent watch and I have to agree - it's a fine drama. I like the lead character a lot, she has a certain practicality about here, and a she's a bit mental.

8/10
  • Youthist 12 Apr 2019 19:53:25 13,686 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Making A Murderer (S2)

While I 'enjoyed' S1 I had my doubts over whether they could stretch this case out over another 10 episodes.

Turns out the approach of S2 shifted quite a bit, from S1's "this is the injustice of the American legal system" to a "who dunnit" style documentary (while confirming the US legal system is still completely broken).

Definitely worth watching if you liked the first part, and I have to say Avery's new lawyer, while a bit creepy-looking, is one tough and very smart cookie, who I found extremely compelling to listen to.

9/10

Breaking Bad (S1-5)

While

11/10
    While I firmly agree on BB, MAM2 was 75per cent filler utter shite, and his lawyer was thoroughly unconvincing.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2019 13:10:35 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Unexplainers

BBC Wales series about two men setting out to explain the inexplicable. A tolerance for low budget charm is probably essential. Also, one of them used to be in Goldie Lookin Chain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003np1

8/10
  • nickthegun 13 Apr 2019 14:18:20 77,113 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It span off from a podcast of the same name, which is well worth a listen to, if you like the TV show
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2019 19:54:57 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @nickthegun ah neat. I'd never heard of it but it came up as an iPlayer recommendation after watching loads of BBC Scotland exclusive comedy
  • nickthegun 13 Apr 2019 21:16:48 77,113 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, this is more for the podcast thread, but there's a podcast called The Parapod that's along kind of similar lines.

Two stand-up comedians, one skeptic and one so open minded his brain falls out try to convince each other that the paranormal does/doesn't exist.

It's very, very funny.
  • Bichii 13 Apr 2019 21:19:08 1,439 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sabrina part 2.

Started off not as good as the first season but the last half was excellent.

8/10.

Roll on 3&4 (that Netflix just announced)
  • TechnoHippy 14 Apr 2019 11:18:18 14,768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Happy Valley (S2)

Somehow manages to be better than the first, although I think it should be renamed to "Northern mum takes no shit and solves crimes".

9/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2019 18:40:18 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - Part 2

More fun and games in Greendale. I mostly dug it but I did feel like all the Messianic stuff gets a bit latter season Buffy. Fighting Satan over the end of the world feels like it came along a bit soon.

Turning up the wokeness is a big plus for this season. It's nice to see a series where that sort of thing colours everything without feeling heavy handed.

The supernatural stuff remains fun and it's still a little strange that Geoff from Coupling is a high priest of darkness.

9/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2019 19:28:02 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Up For It

BBC Scotland comedy series in which Ashley Storrie, Christopher Macarthur-Boyd and Rosco McClelland act like total fannies. It's super dumb but they're all obviously such good pals that their chemistry really makes it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00037wr

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 14 Apr 2019 19:56:03 14,768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Requiem

A fairly decent horror. Spooky in places, quite slow paced, but an interesting mystery. The lead was a bit of a mental case, although sort of understandable.

7/10
  • GuybrushFreepwood 14 Apr 2019 20:02:23 654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Iron Fist

Dull, dull and more dull adventures of someone who gets beaten up a lot and every now and then has a glowing hand and wins. Other times heís huffy. About the least impressive super hero Iíve seen and certainly the dullest. Fight scenes (what little there were) were not very good. Why not have a lead who was actually good at martial arts?

4/10

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 20:10:12 14-04-2019
  • Waffleaber 14 Apr 2019 20:08:03 731 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - S2

Not sure I'll bother with S3. It's entertaining enough but mainly from how stupid it is.
    - The characters and rules of the universe are inconsistent (Blackwood going hyper-mysognist, surely Zelda would be pleased Sabrina would be Hells ruler?)
    - Iteresting plot points are resolved in an unsatisfactory manner. ( Blind Roz, Blackwood's daughter, A secret war with angels )
    - Significant things happen with zero buildup ( Anti-Christ sabrina, a prophecy out of nowhere, Harvey and Roz love each other now?
    - Pointless "What if?" episode
    - Harvey's pointless face

It's basically budget Buffy.

5/10
  • Devilligan 14 Apr 2019 23:11:43 594 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

I worked in the writers' room for the second series of Requiem. It was going to get much, much wilder.

Unfortunately, the BBC (that's never really been good with selling horror shows) badly mis-sold it as a thriller and it never really found an audience so the second series never really happened.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Apr 2019 00:10:17 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Devilligan it would have been really interesting to see where things went after that ending. The way the supernatural and almost crime drama style thriller action mixed together felt pretty unique and I'd be into seeing something similar again. I really thought it would turn out that the spooky stuff was all in her head at several points in the series.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Apr 2019 09:32:50 14,768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Devilligan That's a shame - I would have enjoyed seeing more. The ending had a bit of a Twin Peaks vibe.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Apr 2019 13:02:25 19,520 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm about halfway through a rewatch of The Americans. It's such a complicated show, to let you feel for spies who routinely destroy innocent people's lives. Phillip and Elizabeth do some really evil shit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Apr 2019 13:50:16 9,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Waffleaber it did feel like they wasted two series arcs worth of plot with Blackwood's scheme and Sabrina the incest antichrist
  • KnuttinAtoll 15 Apr 2019 13:52:53 6,968 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Making A Murderer (S2)

9/10

Breaking Bad (S1-5)

While

11/10
    While I firmly agree on BB, MAM2 was 75per cent filler utter shite, and his lawyer was thoroughly unconvincing.
    Sorry, just saw your post now.

Think that's pretty harsh, care to elaborate? Genuinely interested.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Apr 2019 19:37:20 19,022 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anything on Now TV worth watching while I have it for GOT?
  • Letsgetthispartystar 15 Apr 2019 19:43:21 19 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Decks wrote:
    Anything on Now TV worth watching while I have it for GOT?
    Try Nicktheguns tales of bullshit and tales from the smarmy side.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.