Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 223

• DUFFMAN5 26 Apr 2019 09:24:24 25,050 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs
    Hi mate the real question I want answered, Is ders more to Ireland dan dis ?
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2019 09:35:21 90,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    :D Reminds me, I haven't finished watching latest Patridge
  • HairyArse 26 Apr 2019 09:53:34 1,335 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only two episodes in so technically I shouldn't talk about it in here, but is anyone else watching The Great British School Swap on Channel 4? It's brilliant.

I don't know if you've seen the clip that's been doing the rounds but basically a white family go and have dinner with a Muslim family and afterwards the Brummie mum says:

"They were really lovely. I expected to go there and it to smell like Pakis.... errmm I mean Muslims but it was really clean and tidy and they had a PlayStation and Sky." Genuine WTF moment.

Thankfully the ignorance shown by both sides is bewildering and it's nicely balanced out.

What surprised me, though, is that in 2019 there are still areas where communities are almost 100% white or 100% Muslim. Maybe we're more progressive in the North but even 25 years ago back when I was at school, white and Muslims were integrated. Sure there were tensions, but the decent among us got on just fine.
  • HairyArse 26 Apr 2019 09:57:36 1,335 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Basic premise of the show, btw, is that 12 kids from a white school and 12 kids from a Muslim school have a fortnightly exchange in the hope of dispelling some of the racist stereotypes perpetuated by the media, ignorance and just common misconceptions. Thankfully there's more to it than just the shock value and it's an eye-opener all-round, though as ever with these types of programmes, I can't believe just how thick some people are.

"Do you sell halal lettuce?" :DDD
  • yoshikoh 26 Apr 2019 10:05:12 6 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    kingdome 9/10
    great stories and screen play.
  • retro74 26 Apr 2019 10:18:25 2,883 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @HairyArse I think I'll watch that, it sounds very interesting. I live in the north west and when I went to school there were no Muslims at all and only one black kid in a school of over a thousand pupils. It was like a "Vote Leave" march for children

I'm not surprised some of these families have such ignorance

Now where I live, only 500 yards from said school, there are four Muslim households in our little cul-de-sac, how times have changed
  • TOOTR 28 Apr 2019 18:16:29 10,452 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone watched multiple seasons of ĎThe Magiciansí?

Iím a few eps into season 1 and wonder if worth persevering for the long ha or to skip off the garden path now.
  • TOOTR 28 Apr 2019 18:16:29 10,452 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone watched multiple seasons of ĎThe Magiciansí?

Iím a few eps into season 1 and wonder if worth persevering for the long ha or to skip off the garden path now.
  • Dougs 1 May 2019 22:51:12 90,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Umbrella Academy. 7.5/10. I enjoyed that without it ever really blowing me away. Looked great and had some nice touches but I didn't really like many of the characters. Even Pogo.
  • fontgeeksogood 2 May 2019 07:38:45 7,427 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Line of Doody

I've been watching the whole lot. It really fell off a cliff after the third series, didn't it
  • wobbly_Bob 4 May 2019 14:33:10 5,144 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Star Trek Discovery: Season 2

An improvement on season one; although, I still think it's not without it's problems. I like that they actually took the criticisms of the first season and made some changes: The lighting isn't so dark, tonally the show is lighter with humour and bants, other crew memembers get more to do, Klingons have hair, and Micheal Burnam is allowed to emote and have emotions.

The show show still has some problems. I think the other crew remembers could get even more to do. They have some lines now but not much in the way of character development. Burnam is a lot better as a character now she is actually allowed to act although maybe she takes it a bit too far. She does doe eyes and cries. A lot. I still have yet to be convinced that a long form story telling style is right for Star Trek. I miss the exploring and adventures on strange new worlds.

The story of season two was pretty good but I preferred the story of the first season. With the improvement though I feel like season 2 edges out over the first one and I liked it better overall. I think it's a good show and if they keep improving it then it could be great!

7/10
  • DUFFMAN5 5 May 2019 22:42:53 25,050 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Line of Duty series 5
    Excellent, although I was not as immersed as previous series, well at least until the final 2 episodes.
    9/10

P.S. My God the 3 coppers interrogating Hastings were feckin' ugly.
  • Mola_Ram 6 May 2019 13:18:46 21,707 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched The ABC Murders, starring Malkovich Malkovich and Ron Weasley.

It was fine, though so very far from the source material that I wondered why they bothered adapting it at all. Like, the bare bones of the plot are there, but it's grim and devoid of any humour whatsoever. Characters are changed and given depressing backstories, even the look of the show is unrelentingly dour.

It's fine to change things in an adaptation, but this was basically unrecognisable as an Agatha Christie story.

6/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 May 2019 16:05:36 11,263 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mola_Ram of the run of big budget BBC Christies they've done the last few years this is the weakest by absolutely miles
  • TechnoHippy 7 May 2019 08:52:59 15,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks to being laid low with cold for a few days I've powered through a host of box sets:

Top of the Lake

A decent thriller investigating a pregnant teen who disappears in rural New Zealand. The character progression was well balanced, and the revelation of events led to a captivating story.

7/10

Unfortunately I tried the second season and didn't get on with it.

Rillington Place

Tim Roth plays sinister well in the drama about a post war serial killer. An excellent watch.

8/10

Collataral

Murder investigation in London with some political impacts. Entertaining enough.

6/10

Line of Duty

Worth the hype for me. It is a bit silly and over the top, but it's still damn fine drama.

Nicking bent coppers/10

Killing Eve

It took me a few attempts to get into this. It's quite mental, and I'm still not sure about Eve. The ending was also unsatisfactory, it just ended without any real closure, just ends.

6/10
  • souvlaki 7 May 2019 10:07:08 958 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Race across the world (BBC 2)

Watched this after a work colleague recommended it. It followed 5 couples who had £1200 to get from Greenwich to Singapore via set hubs without using planes.

It was pretty enjoyable TV and another series is being commissioned this year. Itís still on catch up. Iíd recommend.
    Thanks for the recomendation - me and the wife enjoyed this a lot \o/
  • jimnastics 7 May 2019 10:45:06 1,659 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Line of Duty series 5
    Excellent, although I was not as immersed as previous series, well at least until the final 2 episodes.
    9/10

P.S. My God the 3 coppers interrogating Hastings were feckin' ugly.
    We enjoyed it but the ending was just daft... the bit with Dot tapping his fingers 4 times to do "H" in morse, but actually that must mean there are 4 bad guys!! I'm sorry, what?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 May 2019 11:04:55 21,355 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm enjoying Handmaiden's Tale a lot, does the second season hold up?
  • TechnoHippy 7 May 2019 12:51:25 15,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Victim

Top class drama. The mum was a bit mental, but understandable under the circumstances. Has some great scenes and twists along the way.

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2019 14:27:42 15,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The cold is still going strong, so another box set burned through.

River

Quite a sombre thriller. I liked the delusion aspect and how River interacted with them was well done. Quite slow paced, but the characters pulled it through.

7/10
  • brokenkey 8 May 2019 18:09:23 10,303 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'm enjoying Handmaiden's Tale a lot, does the second season hold up?
    Yes
  • Mr_Sleep 8 May 2019 20:30:53 22,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    As a counterpoint, I thought the first series of the Handmaid's Tale was high quality but the second irritated me due to poor writing and increasingly silly ways it continues the story. I made it to about three episodes in. I wouldn't want to go into too much detail due to spoilers and stuff.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 20:31:17 08-05-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 12 May 2019 11:31:14 3,709 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lucifer - Season 4

Glad to have the show back although its only 10 episodes (no doubt because its on netflix now) but they are longer than the standard 42 minutes they use to be.

Great season, being on netflix lets them get away with a bit more stuff than on fox

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 12 May 2019 12:02:54 15,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Frankenstein Chronicles (S2)

I enjoyed the first series, and this continued the story nicely. Sean Bean does stour well.

7/10

Whitechapel (S1-4)

In parts this felt like a crime solving pantomime, but entertaining enough to watch.

6/10
  • Trowel 12 May 2019 22:13:35 22,714 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished Line of Duty S5 today, having never watched the previous and been sucked into the hype. I can't remember the last time I watched a series with such consistently poor acting and strange pacing. Packed full of convenient discoveries and thin plot devices, and the final episode had all the thrills of attending a meeting. And what's with all the TLAs?

BOS/10
  • DUFFMAN5 12 May 2019 22:18:24 25,050 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Trowel
    Watch the first series and see what you think. For my money the best one along with 3.
  • Trowel 12 May 2019 22:26:51 22,714 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks, may give it a go. So long as it's not like watching Casualty...
  • Dougs 13 May 2019 11:59:31 90,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Derry Girls S1 and 2. 8.5/10. Utterly brilliant series. Some great characters, great soundtrack, set against The Troubles which gives it all a bit more depth than just a comedy about 4 girls (and one boy) in NI.
  • glaeken 13 May 2019 12:56:14 12,070 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Killing Eve - 6/10 - Not sure I get why this one got so much hype. It's reasonably entertaining but but I felt it lost steam after the first few episodes and then dragged on to a conclusion which was very lacking. The plot toward the end of the series just becomes a bit of a mess. Also I am not sure I really bought into the actress playing Eve. Not quite sure why.

Overall it was OK but not really seeing why everyone was raving about it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.