Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 227

• Saul_Iscariot 9 Jun 2019 23:14:32 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Umbrella Academy - Netflix - 7/10. Started off so promising but I lost a bit of interest halfway through the series, but it picked up towards the end. Some great casting though, and I think that helped carry it through. My malaise may be due to bing watching it, something I normally abhor doing.

Black Lightning S2 - Netflix - 6/10

Pretty much the same summary as above though I watched it over several weeks. It just feels it is missing some element to lift it above drab. Again, I have no complaints about the cast but it is lacking something.
  • cowell 10 Jun 2019 10:51:08 1,981 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good Omens - Amazon Prime - 7.5/10
    Really enjoyed it. So delightfully British and full of heart. No classic but a solid entertaining series all the same.
  • TechnoHippy 10 Jun 2019 12:29:21 15,370 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Netflix may pick happy up as it does well on there apparently.
    Hopefully so!
  • Deleted user 10 June 2019 12:44:07
    Black Monday - A very fun breezy comedy with whip smart dialogue starring Regina Hall and Don Cheadle as a pair of Wall Street wheelers and dealers in the Micheal Milken corporate raiders junk bond a80's.

It took a while to sink its teeth in because the first episode is slightly all over the place in tone but once it settled in I was in for the ride.

8/10
  • Trafford 10 Jun 2019 15:07:48 8,378 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The Virtues

Fuuuuuuuuuck

10/10
    Yeah, Shane Meadows, Stephen Graham with PJ Harvey on the music.

The first episode especially, fuuuuuuuuck.
  • Trafford 10 Jun 2019 18:08:10 8,378 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Years & Years

A BBC Black Mirror from Russell T Davis that essentially asks the question 'what if all the bad stuff off the news gets worse?' then follows one family as they try to deal with it.

It's very on the nose and very well made.

Plus it's got Emma Thompson as a nightmarish Katie Hopkins/Nigel Farage character who is all too plausible

It's probably scarier than your average Black Mirror too given how current its current events are.

9/10
    This hasn't finished yet? At least another 2 episodes to go.
    But yeah I think it's excellent too.
    Thought the ending sequences of part 3 & 4 were devastating .
  • QBX 11 Jun 2019 22:14:51 70 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rellik

The main twist of this is that the plot is told backwards so you see the outcome of an event and then the build up to it. As a concept it's interesting (as I don't recall it being done before) but in the end it really doesn't make any difference.

It's still full of the usual cliches whether the plot is told forwards or backwards and you can guess who the killer is about halfway through. It was nice to see Ray Stevenson on TV again though.

6/10

Did you see what they did with that title!

Edited by QBX at 22:15:14 11-06-2019

Edited by QBX at 22:15:57 11-06-2019
  • Syrette 11 Jun 2019 22:48:35 50,304 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Summer of Rockets is a definite 9/10 for me. Don't really want to elaborate in case I spoil anything!
  • TechnoHippy 12 Jun 2019 08:28:45 15,370 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Happy (S2)

Watching this made me happy :-) More oddball ultraviolence that continued nicely from the first season. I hope it gets picked up for another season as it takes a wonderfully dark turn at the end with some strong potential.

Bonus kudos for a Jeff Goldblum appearance!

9/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jun 2019 08:36:25 10,899 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Years & Years

A BBC Black Mirror from Russell T Davis that essentially asks the question 'what if all the bad stuff off the news gets worse?' then follows one family as they try to deal with it.

It's very on the nose and very well made.

Plus it's got Emma Thompson as a nightmarish Katie Hopkins/Nigel Farage character who is all too plausible

It's probably scarier than your average Black Mirror too given how current its current events are.

9/10
    This hasn't finished yet? At least another 2 episodes to go.
    But yeah I think it's excellent too.
    Thought the ending sequences of part 3 & 4 were devastating .
    I really thought it was four parts for some reason. The ending to four would have been a perfect end to a miniseries too
  • mrpon 13 Jun 2019 23:08:44 35,379 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Titans S1 (Netflix)

Possibly the best DC thing I've enjoyed in a while. It's well acted, brutal and delivers that one more episode cliffhanger.

Loved it 9/10
  • GuybrushFreepwood 15 Jun 2019 04:34:56 1,259 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Good Omens 9/10

Bloody loved it. Iím a massive Pratchet fan but was worried this would be rubbish and that Tennant in particular would ham it up. As it was, he hammed it up perfectly and it was easy to forget who he was at times.

Thought everyone was well cast and canít fault it. Might watch it again straight away. I thought all the lead characters were great, with the witch being exactly as Iíd imagined her and even the kids being good.
  • Dougs 15 Jun 2019 06:35:19 90,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bosch S5. 7/10. Solid but unspectacular, not helped by the fact I'd read the book the series is based on last month so was very fresh. I do enjoy it though.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Jun 2019 21:23:25 15,370 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Black Mirror (S5)

A weak and short season compared the the previous releases. Not terrible and I did enjoy the second one quite a bit.

6/10
  • drhickman1983 15 Jun 2019 23:21:24 6,024 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good Omens

I'm a *massive* fan of the source novel (Pratchett is my favourite author and Gaiman is pretty high too), so that colours my expectations and opinion.

I'm pleased to say I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was perfect.

On the downside, it felt a but disjointed at times, and some characters felt a little underdeveloped. Adam and the kids in general were a bit underdeveloped, and Anathema and Newton don't get much more. And the four horsemen were, at least compared to the books, not quite as interesting, painted in the broadest of strokes.

That's perhaps unavoidable. The book has so many tangents it was inevitable some things would get left by the wayside.

On the plus side, first of all, Aziraphale and Crowley were pretty damn near perfect. Sheen and Tenant were just tremendous. Both played their parts excellently and the chemistry between the two was the glue that held it all together.

Perhaps it's because those two are so damn fantastic that others get a bit overshadowed, but the casting in general was good. Jon Hamm as the Angel Gabriel was another highlight. Although I wouldn't call it a stand out performance Jack Whitehall was much better than I expected, as I've not really been a fan of him before, but he worked quite well here.

All in all, it was an admirable adaptation. Without Tennant and Sheen it'd be much less memorable, but they elevated it to something special.

8/10 overall.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Jun 2019 14:58:01 15,370 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Justified (S1)

I enjoyed re-watching these. The characters compliment each other well and I enjoy the dixie mafia shtick. Some decent gunfights too.

8/10
  • Dougs 16 Jun 2019 21:42:08 90,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stranger Things S2. 7/10. Kind of lost interest in this after a few episodes, so put it on the back burner. Came back to it knowing S3 was coming and quite enjoyed the last 4 or so. I guess my problem is that it was too similar to the first one. Would have preferred an anthology series. Looking forward to S3 though.

Barry S1. 8/10. That was unexpectedly great. Funny as, well worth a watch if you like black comedy. Henry Winkler is amazing.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Jun 2019 22:31:11 16,673 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gomorrah - S1

Fuck yeah! This is some good shit. Proper Wire/Sopranos/Breaking Bad tier stuff. Binged S1 in a few days and straight into S2. Love it.
  • Vortex808 17 Jun 2019 07:41:23 13,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    S4 starting on sky Atlantic too. Sadly, I need to wait to buy it for streaming later.

My favourite current tv series. You have some enjoyable viewing to come. 😀
  • jaangus 17 Jun 2019 13:58:42 5,383 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Gomorrah - S1

Fuck yeah! This is some good shit. Proper Wire/Sopranos/Breaking Bad tier stuff. Binged S1 in a few days and straight into S2. Love it.
    Season 4 will all be on sky demand on wednesday .. I cannot wait!
  • jimnastics 17 Jun 2019 14:08:33 1,641 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

Barry S1. 8/10. That was unexpectedly great. Funny as, well worth a watch if you like black comedy. Henry Winkler is amazing.
    We just finished season 2, you're in for an absolute treat. There is one episode in particular which is top tier level.
  • JoelStinty 17 Jun 2019 15:49:21 8,065 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good omens

Really enjoyed it. Sheen and Tennant were outstanding. I think it will be one that will get better on repeated watches too.

4/5

What we do in the shadows.

Loved this. Itís an instant classic in my books. Just offers so much. Funny with great characters.

5/5

Now about to do a rewatch of the whole of The Sopranos. Watched it between 2005-2008 whilst at uni and never managed to see the final season. Here goes!
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2019 17:50:24 90,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's so good. I've been rewatching it on and off, and it's still fantastic.
  • JoelStinty 17 Jun 2019 19:49:59 8,065 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    yeah been downloading them on the sky box, but still tempted to pick up the blu ray box set as i be able to watch them more often than in a shared living area.
  • Addy__ 17 Jun 2019 19:53:05 1,402 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Gomorrah - S1

Need to watch this. Heard nothing but great things.

Also has anyone watched The Terror? It looks great.

https://youtu.be/pjq7Gl_hhPY

Apologies if it's been talked about already.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jun 2019 20:14:28 24,894 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Now about to do a rewatch of the whole of The Sopranos. Watched it between 2005-2008 whilst at uni and never managed to see the final season. Here goes!
    Just finished my forth watch. Stunning TV even now. So many great moments and characters.
    Enjoy :)
  • Trafford 17 Jun 2019 21:19:25 8,378 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've never watched The Sopranos.
    It is on my list, which is quite short funnily enough.
  • cov 17 Jun 2019 21:19:53 1,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Terror is great :)
  • sirtacos 18 Jun 2019 07:56:05 8,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Gomorrah - S1

Need to watch this. Heard nothing but great things.

Also has anyone watched The Terror? It looks great.

https://youtu.be/pjq7Gl_hhPY

Apologies if it's been talked about already.
    The Terror is absolutely fantastic. Worth it for the performances alone. I really can't fault it.

It's part of this new crop of miniseries masterpieces that make this the best time in history to be watching TV
  • wobbly_Bob 18 Jun 2019 09:05:03 5,144 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sabrina the teenage witch

Pretty average for the most part. I can see some really fantastic missed opportunities here but sadly they remain missed. With better writers this could be something special.

It's full of 2 dimensional characters and often falls back on cliche or soap opera plot lines. The actress playing Sabrina is awful. Nobody really shines apart from maybe the lady playing the school teacher. The rest must spend their time spitting out splinters from the constant chewing through the sceanery - see Blackwood and Ambrose.

It also makes little sense. The show is introduced
    with how the witches were persecuted and hung yet they literally worship Satan so the villagers were right? Most of the witches don't seem particularly evil so why is everyone happy to serve the devil. It's really obvious that the devil is evil. They are fully aware that hell is full of evil demons. It would be e been a better show if they were not in league with the devil but just misunderstood with a rich mythology of thier own. Again it's just lazy writing.

I seem really down on it but liked the show overall. It's just frustrating that it can be so much better. 6/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.