Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 230

• nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 08:30:07 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was going to watch it but finally finished Badlands instead.

Shame it got cancelled, but it was just too beautiful and mental for this world.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2019 08:34:21 23,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Warrior starting on Sky One on Tuesday. Looks great.
    Yup, good fun this.
    I've watched the whole first season, and definitely recommend it. I wouldn't say it's as good as Banshee, but even Banshee wasn't at peak greatness in its first season. There's a whole lot to build on.

It's already been confirmed for S2, by the way.
  • Dougs 26 Jun 2019 08:52:59 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I was going to watch it but finally finished Badlands instead.

Shame it got cancelled, but it was just too beautiful and mental for this world.
    Loved Badlands. Door left slightly ajar in case another network wants to pick it up...
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Jun 2019 09:00:22 25,597 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah still need to finish Badlands, my interest started to fade a bit in the final season.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2019 09:04:19
    How many seasons was badlands then? Always fancied watching it.
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 09:06:31 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Three. It's well worth a watch. It gets progressively more crazy as it goes along.

Like I've told a few people, watch the first episode and you will know if it's for you after precisely one scene.
  • Dougs 26 Jun 2019 09:08:12 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It was perfect train fodder for me. Batshit crazy, light enough that if my attention wasn't fully there, it didn't matter and each episode rattled along at a pace.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2019 09:11:01 23,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it really picked up in season 2, where they basically doubled down on the ham, and all the insane double- and triple-crossing with everyone switching sides like 5 times an episode. Glorious stuff.

I watched the first half of S3, but there was a very long delay before the final episodes came out.
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 09:19:31 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It was perfect train fodder for me. Batshit crazy, light enough that if my attention wasn't fully there, it didn't matter and each episode rattled along at a pace.
    That's why the mrs liked it, down to the bad guys all being colour coded (for your convenience) like an old episode of Batman.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2019 09:58:14
    So does it get wrapped up ok?
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 10:09:43 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah. They knew they were on the wire, so it they wrapped up the current plot and opened the door to a new one.

Its not as satisfying as something that knows definitively its going to end, but nothing gets left up in the air.
  • spindle9988 26 Jun 2019 10:14:02 5,128 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What we do in the shadows

Loved the film, the series is even better.

Fuck me, that was good.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2019 10:32:43
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah. They knew they were on the wire, so it they wrapped up the current plot and opened the door to a new one.

Its not as satisfying as something that knows definitively its going to end, but nothing gets left up in the air.
    Cool. I'll probably start it once I'm done with the terror.
  • DugBriderider 26 Jun 2019 13:25:02 841 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

Yes, that's perplexing, isn't it? I've got no idea just how involved he was with it. Reading from his comments he has made about the adaption he seems all for the Angel and Demon being gay lovers. I would have to guess he's behind it. Who knows. I have no idea. Maybe he always wanted it that way (Pratchett didn't see it nor write it that way) or maybe he's changed over time and feels it's better this way. As I said, I don't understand it because making their relationship central is an awful idea and it goes against the books premise.
    I think you need to wind back on this, their companionship is portrayed as long, deep and uncomfortable due to their circumstances but I always thought it was platonic. You may be picking up on a effeminate/camp vibe but that's in the source material as well.

"[m]any people, upon meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three assumptions: he was British, he was intelligent, and he was gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide." While angels do not technically have a gender unless they try hard enough and he's British by choice rather than nativity, this is a rather good summing-up of his personality."

Plus any other "Diverse" casting was barely noticeable.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Jun 2019 13:37:22 23,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought their relationship was the single best thing about the show. It fell down in a few other places, but that aspect was rock-solid. Maybe not 100% faithful to the source material, but it's an adaptation - not everything is going to be the same, nor should it be.
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Jun 2019 14:17:34 5,162 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DugBriderider wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

Yes, that's perplexing, isn't it? I've got no idea just how involved he was with it. Reading from his comments he has made about the adaption he seems all for the Angel and Demon being gay lovers. I would have to guess he's behind it. Who knows. I have no idea. Maybe he always wanted it that way (Pratchett didn't see it nor write it that way) or maybe he's changed over time and feels it's better this way. As I said, I don't understand it because making their relationship central is an awful idea and it goes against the books premise.
    I think you need to wind back on this, their companionship is portrayed as long, deep and uncomfortable due to their circumstances but I always thought it was platonic. You may be picking up on a effeminate/camp vibe but that's in the source material as well.

"[m]any people, upon meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three assumptions: he was British, he was intelligent, and he was gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide." While angels do not technically have a gender unless they try hard enough and he's British by choice rather than nativity, this is a rather good summing-up of his personality."

Plus any other "Diverse" casting was barely noticeable.
    I don't think I need to wind back on this because I'm not wrong. You obviously haven't read the book. I see that Azriphale quote being cherry picked a lot. The FULL quote from the book I have in front of me is:

"ďMany people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.

Two of these were wrong; Heaven is not in England, whatever certain poets may have thought, and angels are sexless unless they really want to make an effort.Ē

The book also says "ďAziraphale. The Enemy, of course. But an enemy for six thousand years now, which made him a sort of friend.Ē

They Angel and Demon are incapable of what the show implies. They are sexless, ageless, formless importal beings of immense power that have taken on human forms. They have no gender. It actually describes their relationship in the book (I'll summarise as it's a lot to type) as basically like two spies out in the field. They've spent so long together that really they have more in common with each other than their superiors. They are barely friends. They do have a grudging respect and understand for each other but that's as far as it goes. So yes, they are "almost friends" as it says directly in the book.

The TV version definitely tries to make them out to be friends and even implies very heavily that they are even in love. Such lines as "You took my friend, bastard" and also when Azriphale is confronted by Angels they specifucally refer to Crowley as "your boyfriend" from the show are not me just picking up on something that isn't here. It's directly telling the viewer that yes they are friends. Also the numerous moments in the show that simply don't exist in the book trying to shoehorn in the relationship that simply doesn't exist.

My problem with it is, as I have said, the book ISN'T about them. To make it about them just reduces the book to meer buddy road movie. The book is better than that and about more than that. The relationship they have in the book ties into the themes of the book. To change their relationship destroys that message.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 14:21:11 26-06-2019
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 14:30:54 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think theres something a bit Freudian going on here because they are written as more as hetero life partners.

And even if they weren't, who the fuck cares? By the sounds of it, the show decided to flesh out their relationships and their characters and if, by doing so, decided to make them as gay as the day is long, why is that such a problem? I mean, really?

The book isn't about them. The TV show is.
  • freddymercurystwin 26 Jun 2019 14:40:25 2,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anybody been watching Years and Years on BBC? It follows a family of siblings and Co from 2019-2034 and paints a picture of what the future could bring, Iím on episode 5 (of 6), itís been pretty bonkers and compelling so far but not beyond the realms of possibilities by any stretch (unfortunately), deeply depressing and dark at some points but with plenty of humour too, canít say as I care for many of the characters tbh and naturally you have to dispel belief a little whilst youíre watching it given itís set in the future but (as no doubt due to BBC budgets permit) it largely looks exactly like today and most of the characters do not appear to have aged in any way, but itís got a good energy and pace throughout and Emma Thompson (even though I donít like her much) is in her element. A good enjoyable romp so far, Iím hoping the last episode is as explosive as the rest.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Jun 2019 14:45:32 25,597 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think theres something a bit Freudian going on here because they are written as more as hetero life partners.

And even if they weren't, who the fuck cares? By the sounds of it, the show decided to flesh out their relationships and their characters and if, by doing so, decided to make them as gay as the day is long, why is that such a problem? I mean, really?

I know all gay people are demons, but does that mean that all demons are gay?
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Jun 2019 14:46:24 5,162 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I feel like you're not really listening. I've explained this many times.

It's literally just been written but here it is again.

My problem with it is, as I have said, the book ISN'T about them. To make it about them just reduces the book to meer buddy road movie. The book is better than that and about more than that. The relationship they have in the book ties into the themes of the book. To change their relationship destroys that message.
    I care because I love the book and the themes of the book. There's nothing wrong with a gay buddy road movie (well apart from it's derivative as all hell - no pun intended) and if you want to make a show about that go for it. I might even watch it, but that show isn't this one.

And as I have also explained, I'm not against changes for change's sake. Lord of the rings is better than the book, for me, and makes sense for the medium. The changes here are not in keeping with the themes of the book or what the book is actually about. The changes are not even good changes but instead awful cringy shit.

And thinking about it, the changes are silly and nonsensical. They are Angels and Demons. They are formless, genderless, powerful and ageless. They don't have "boyfriends" as one of the Angels nonsensically accuses Aziraphale as having.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 15:09:20 26-06-2019
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 15:13:53 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So, to repeat my point, there are two separate things you are moaning about.

The first is that the show is different to the book, which is fine.

The second is that you are annoyed that the show has made them gay, which it doesn't really do. It portrays them as just good, if slightly grudging friends with genuine affection towards each other.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Jun 2019 15:20:18 27,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, no need to watch this now. And folk jumped on Beasty for a fucking Happy Death Day 2 U spoiler! :D
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 15:26:49 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Their relationship is core to the story but not the plot, if that makes any sense at all.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2019 15:44:50
    spindle9988 wrote:

Fuck me, that was good.
    I watched the first episode of this series and its not for me. Just a few too many times my wife and I were looking at each other and saying "wtf?". Might get better later, but the first one killed it for us, which is a shame as I hoped it would be something good.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Jun 2019 15:58:44 27,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Like Lucifer? :D

Nick, I get your gist.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 26 Jun 2019 16:02:47 25,597 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:

Fuck me, that was good.
    I watched the first episode of this series and its not for me. Just a few too many times my wife and I were looking at each other and saying "wtf?". Might get better later, but the first one killed it for us, which is a shame as I hoped it would be something good.
    I genuinely can't understand how anyone could not like it.
  • Deleted user 26 June 2019 16:06:14
    nickthegun wrote:

The second is that you are annoyed that the show has made them gay, which it doesn't really do. It portrays them as just good, if slightly grudging friends with genuine affection towards each other.
    I didn't get any inkling that the pair of them were gay. It never entered my head and I saw it exactly like Nick did.

However they decided to adapt it, the end result was a good series imo.
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Jun 2019 16:10:58 5,162 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Really? This is getting old.

The first point, please re-read what I have written, is that they changed the book. My contention is that it isn't fine and I've explained in depth now multiple times why I don't think it's fine. Sure any media isn't holy script and can be changed but in this case, it's for the worst.

I'm not annoyed they have made them gay per se. I'm annoyed that they made them anything at all. I'll repeat for about the 5th time now? they are ageless, sexless, and immortal. Making them pals or gay is very silly at best and at worst it runs against the themes of the book.

I can't understand how you are having a problem with this? To be honest I think you have it in your head that I'm either a homophobe or that I'm one of these nerds that can't bear to have any changes made to their precious. Neither of these are true. I've explained in detail many times over now.

I've carefully explained why I think the changes aren't good and why I dislike them. To be honest it's getting to be a waste of both our times to keep going around and around: I state why I think why the changes made aren't good then you ignore what I've just said and then just come back with the same thing.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 16:11:55 26-06-2019
  • BinaryBob101 26 Jun 2019 16:22:09 27,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Once terms like "Political Correctness" get bandied about, during a pretty full-on rant about diversity - well, you're kind of setting up a mission statement here. It's not such a leap to come to a premature conclusion.

That said, you hate smashed burgers too, which is also a bit weird. :D

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 16:22:25 26-06-2019
  • nickthegun 26 Jun 2019 16:43:52 82,290 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ok, yes, this is getting tedious so, for absolute clarity my point this:

You are annoyed about two things. One is legitimate, albeit shortsighted, and the other you have completely made up.

And that isn't including the weird rant about political correctness gone made for having a black person on the cast.

Read back what you originally wrote and if you genuinely can't see why anyone would have a problem with it, yes, this conversation is beyond pointless.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.