Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 235

• minky-kong 19 Jul 2019 09:53:48 14,398 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Killing Eve s2. 6.5/10. Much the same as the first, but the script lacked the same sharpness I thought. There were also some really questionable plot devices or decisions by characters that didn't make such sense to me. But it was a light, entertaining enough watch and Jodie Cromer was ace again.
    Finished this yesterday and would agree, they've upped the campiness this series, and there's numerous examples of people acting out of character just to move the plot forward. Watchable, but not great.
  • sirtacos 19 Jul 2019 10:09:16 8,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You lot are gonna fucking love Barry season 2. It's bonkers in the most excellent way possible

Stranger Things S3

I enjoyed it greatly.

I love the cast; they're all likeable in their own way. Especially Alexei.

Uma Thurman's daughter is in this, and looks uncannily like Uma Thurman.

It's much more Goonies-like now, with more humour and silliness, but I didn't mind at all. It's more fun than it's ever been, but also feels slightly less authentic somehow in a way that's difficult to put my finger on. Also the show suffers during its more maudlin moments (last episode is full of them, and they don't always work).

Definitely better than I expected, but I'm not sure how it'll stand up to repeat viewings.

8/10

Edited by sirtacos at 10:26:47 19-07-2019

Edited by sirtacos at 10:46:41 19-07-2019
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jul 2019 19:30:55 15,436 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Virtues

I didn't know anything about this, but I like the lead actor so gave it a try and it turned out to be a decent if quite grim journey into loss and the past. Fairly slow in pace for a mini-series and it's a bit disturbing in places, but overall I enjoyed it.

7/10
  • dominalien 22 Jul 2019 10:19:07 9,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stranger Things S3

Definitely better than S2. Somewhat overdone on the banter between the cop and the mom. I thought ep 7 was the poorest of the bunch with a serious shift in tone and many silly sillies, but luckily ep 8 gets back into form. I thought the whole drama of the cop dying and then immediately implying he was alive in the credit scene was a huge misstep. I'm still hoping it's not really him in the Russian prison, despite me liking the character very much.

8/10
  • oldskooldeano 22 Jul 2019 11:06:39 2,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Comedians in cars getting coffee S11. 2019

Damn I love this show. As always I just binge watch these shorts one after the other until there are none left. Sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss but always interesting. Highlights this season for me are: a) Eddie Murphy seems a bit tortured. He knows he lost his edge and it hurts him. B) Matthew Broderick is a quintessential manhattanite. C) Martin Short is actually really funny D) Bridget Everetts act seems amazing and I would love to see it and lastly Seinfeld gets visibly angry about a certain comedian who is a friend of hers. He is not mentioned by name but best rumour is that it's Bobcat Goldthwait.

Some cool cars too!
  • gooner77 24 Jul 2019 07:58:43 1,418 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Big Little lies S2 8/10

Not quite a patch on S1 but decent nonetheless. Meryl Streep is a good addition and her scenes with Nicole Kidman are great. Laura Dern and Zoe Kravitz have expanded roles and do well too
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Jul 2019 09:37:48 11,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stranger Things 3

Wasn't sold on the tonal shift and the references feel overly unsubtle and occasionally jarringly wedged in.

But once the plot gets going the pay off is well worth it.

8/10
  • Tonka 24 Jul 2019 19:20:47 29,827 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Chernobyl

Astonishing

A must see. As good as the wire.
  • JYM60 24 Jul 2019 19:36:08 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Handmaiden S2: 4/10

Tbh I barely paid attention to half the episodes. I thought S1 was ok because it was a bit different, but Christ it is boring now. Seems to take so long for anything to happen, how many shitty predictable attempts to escape will happen? Good ole plot armour on every named character, seriously not sure why they haven't been killed. The one eyed girl has tried to kill herself, was meant to be executed, was sent to the death camps, and is now back?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Jul 2019 20:57:23 11,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @JYM60 the first half of season two when she's hiding in that warehouse getting boned by the bodyguard feels like it lasts forever. Everything worth watching happens in the second half. It's almost like they were given too many episodes and didn't bother writing extra content to fill them.

The third season is a big step up.
  • JYM60 24 Jul 2019 21:11:48 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah The bodyguard helped her escape god knows how many times, and she botched them all. Now she seems to be treating him like shit. I don't really get it.

Watched an episode of S3 last night. The new 'bad' guy seems decent. Absolutely had enough of Fred and Serena.
  • JoelStinty 28 Jul 2019 20:37:31 8,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chernobyl

Once every ten years or so you watch something that you know is simply outstanding on all levels and will be regarded as an all time classic, and Chernobyl is that. Loved it,

Series also cements Jared Harris as a true great imo as well. He has become a seal of quality.

5/5
  • macmurphy 28 Jul 2019 20:53:07 3,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Chernobyl

Once every ten years or so you watch something that you know is simply outstanding on all levels and will be regarded as an all time classic, and Chernobyl is that. Loved it,

Series also cements Jared Harris as a true great imo as well. He has become a seal of quality.

5/5
    Still to watch this but so true. Heís amazing in everything Iíve seen him in.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Jul 2019 21:52:34 11,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Derry Girls

Incredible

10/10
    Series 2 also 10/10 and the soundtrack is wall to wall bangers
  • JoelStinty 28 Jul 2019 22:07:33 8,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Chernobyl

5/5
    Although I still donít quite know what accent he is trying to do In the expanse. Sort of part Scottish part South African itís quite weird.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Jul 2019 07:37:26 15,436 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Britannia

Not brilliant, but reasonably entertaining. I quite liked how they handled the magic and mysticism. The story is a bit bonkers, but keeps things moving, however it does feel a tad rushed at the end. Still, I'm looking forward to the next series.

7/10
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 29 Jul 2019 09:30:11 347 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    macmurphy wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Chernobyl

5/5
    Although I still donít quite know what accent he is trying to do In the expanse. Sort of part Scottish part South African itís quite weird.
    It's a special dialect designed for the Belters, isn't it? Camina Drummer uses it too.
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2019 09:44:44 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Boys - a very weird experience. I loved it as it's own thing but, being a huge wanker for the comics, I either didn't really like the changes or kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, which it never did.

But, as a show, it was great. I understand why they made all the changes (bar possibly one) and I think they mostly worked to it's benefit.

So, yeah, would recommend. As good a comic book adaptation as there's been, I think, bar possibly JJ S01.

8/10
  • Vortex808 29 Jul 2019 10:02:04 13,386 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait up, there's a tv adaptation of The Boys? This is on netflix/amazon?

I'll have to look at if i can stream it via xbox if available. If nothing else, just to see how they've made it fit for tv! 😃
  • Dougs 29 Jul 2019 10:33:01 90,576 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Amazon!
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Jul 2019 10:35:06 24,977 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derry Girls

Incredible

10/10
    Series 2 also 10/10 and the soundtrack is wall to wall bangers
    Another Derry Girl, good lad. It was excellent, series 3 is coming at some point ;)
    Had you have said you didn't like it maybe, I think it would have been fair to say we would have all lost a little respect for you ;)
  • Dougs 29 Jul 2019 10:40:42 90,576 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd rather they didn't do a third tbh.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Jul 2019 10:56:53 24,977 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs
    Really, Why.
    The quality of the second series was very high. No reason to think the third won't be, have faith mate. Ders more to Derry Girls dan-dis. ;)
  • Dougs 29 Jul 2019 11:04:43 90,576 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I just thought it ended perfectly. I prefer shows to not outstay their welcome and overdo it.
  • Dougs 30 Jul 2019 08:10:47 90,576 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gomorrah S2. 8.5/10. Again a relatively slow start but the conclusion is absolutely brutal. Nasty, horrible fuckers.
  • Vortex808 30 Jul 2019 08:45:31 13,386 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait for 3! 😃

Redemption of sorts for some.

I need to get myself sorted out for season 4 now!

Edited by Vortex808 at 08:46:55 30-07-2019
  • Dougs 30 Jul 2019 08:57:38 90,576 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Making a start later! It is absolutely fantastic but man, I hate every single one of them.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Jul 2019 10:40:03 27,440 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Parks and Recreation S3

A fantastic season, a step up in writing , Amy Poehler is amazing as usual but I love Rob Lowe.

Weíll have S4 done by the weekend at this rate :)
  • TechnoHippy 30 Jul 2019 16:56:52 15,436 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dungeons and Dragons

One of my favourite cartoons as a youngster, and in a fit of nostalgia rewatched them all. The episodes I remember are still good, some of those I forgot were filler, but overall still a fun watch. Dragon's Graveyard is still the best episode.

I do have to wonder how the hell Venger became the main bad guy considering his general lack of competence.

Dungeon Master/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.