Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, ok... it still looks and feels rather present day and modern though
  • Addy__ 26 Sep 2019 19:41:06 2,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    American Horror Story Apocalypse (Season 8)

Last full season I watched of this was Coven which I think was Season 3. Lost interest after that. I actually only watched S8 due to a couple of hints about characters so felt like a good progression.

Anyway I really enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. Kathy Bates can still pull off that psychopathic persona even now. Quite looking forward to S9 which is a blatant 80's camp slasher rip off.

7.5/10
    Yeah, it was a good one. Completely bonkers.

The Trump series (season 7?) was really good if you're up for more. They're generally very hit and miss though and there have been some properly duff series along the way.
    Might check that out. I've actually started AHS season 9 (2 episodes in) and love it so far. It's a great 80's slasher homage.
  • Addy__ 26 Sep 2019 20:02:09 2,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Probably in the minority here but I cannot get on with Peaky Blinders at all. I'd put it off for ages and constantly had family and friends rave about it. I've done the first season and just don't see what all the fuss is about. I actually feel the same way about most British dramas I've tried recently. Bodyguard was crap and killing eve not much better.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Sep 2019 20:07:08 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the most recent series is the worst one but the earlier Peaky Blinders were cool. I think you've got to buy into how stylised it is though, the drama doesn't always make sense without it.
  • Dougs 26 Sep 2019 21:14:42 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Probably in the minority here but I cannot get on with Peaky Blinders at all. I'd put it off for ages and constantly had family and friends rave about it. I've done the first season and just don't see what all the fuss is about. I actually feel the same way about most British dramas I've tried recently. Bodyguard was crap and killing eve not much better.

I'm the same tbh. Watched 5 or 6 and it's OK but feels like a slog.
  • RawShark 26 Sep 2019 21:35:34 953 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone watched Undone on Amazon yet? Its an instance where I wish theyd edited it as four hour long episodes rather than eight 30 minute episodes, because it really messes with the pacing.

Not finished yet - Im undecided so far.
  • PatrickEwing 26 Sep 2019 23:14:21 2,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fuck just finished all of Orange New Black at last, Christ that last series was miserable and hard work, only took 2 months to work through it but felt bad to see it through.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Sep 2019 23:28:14 22,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Has anyone watched Undone on Amazon yet? Its an instance where I wish theyd edited it as four hour long episodes rather than eight 30 minute episodes, because it really messes with the pacing.

Tangentially: I have been watching The Tick and it is half an hour long and it seems perfect for that show. I actually felt like I watched more of it than I would have if it was an hour. Takes a bit of time but I enjoyed it by the end.
  • RawShark 26 Sep 2019 23:37:21 953 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    RawShark wrote:

Tangentially: I have been watching The Tick and it is half an hour long and it seems perfect for that show. I actually felt like I watched more of it than I would have if it was an hour. Takes a bit of time but I enjoyed it by the end.
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    RawShark wrote:

Yeah it works for The Tick, definitely. Im a big believer that comedy is best served in smaller doses. Drama though can be stretched out longer. In the case of Undone, and Ill be careful here in case anyone wants to go in fresh the whole crux of the series doesnt get unveiled until the end of the second episode...
  • barchetta 27 Sep 2019 00:32:12 1,966 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:

I'm the same tbh. Watched 5 or 6 and it's OK but feels like a slog.
    Am I anywhere near the mark thinking this is a UK based Boardwalk Empire deal? Having caught the odd scene it struck me as a bit too theatrical
  • Lukus 27 Sep 2019 00:59:42 22,296 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Peaky Blinders is cheesy AF. I don't get why it's so highly thought of by so many.

As a side note, people who have Peaky Blinders themed weddings are literally the worst people to have ever existed.
  • wuntyphyve 27 Sep 2019 07:56:26 13,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me and the Mrs have nearly finished s1 of peaky blinders. Enjoying it so far tbh and feels like a good replacement for ripper st which we also enjoyed. Quite like a good overly dramatic period jobbie with people getting a good kicking.
  • Syrette 27 Sep 2019 08:23:36 50,385 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Peaky Blinders is cheesy AF. I don't get why it's so highly thought of by so many.
    Because we've got better taste than you.

;}

Edited by Syrette at 08:24:10 27-09-2019
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2019 08:32:38 25,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ashes to Ashes

Watched series 1-3 again, first time in a few years though. Love it. Set in the 80's is a win for me off the bat, as I love that decade. All the cast are brilliant especially Gene, Raymondo and Bolly. Keeley Hawes is also extremely hot of course.

10/10
    If for some reason you missed it, it is on iplayer (so is LoM) and I can't recommend enough.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Sep 2019 09:06:21 4,851 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:

As a side note, people who have Peaky Blinders themed weddings are literally the worst people to have ever existed.
    Same here - I watched three episodes of S1 and thought it was boring and incredibly predictable. Genuinely don't get what the fuss is about (love Cilian Murphy as an actor, too - he's given some amazing performances).
  • TechnoHippy 27 Sep 2019 09:41:36 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Detectorists (S1)

This is a show I've always wanted to check out, but never seemed to get round to it - well I've fixed that and it's a great show. The humour is quite understated and very dry and works well. The story is quite mundane, but fits the context. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm eagerly waiting the next series to come on iPlayer.

8/10
  • Vortex808 28 Sep 2019 13:46:28 13,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have also just rewatched Detectorists series 1 after the recent repeats.

It's still glorious and one of my favourite shows of recent years.

Series 2 starts tonight. 😃
  • TechnoHippy 28 Sep 2019 14:34:56 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good news - I shall check it out.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Sep 2019 20:39:30 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Justified (S4)

Dips a little towards the end, but watching the marshal play cowboy remains entertaining. For some reason I thought there were only 4 seasons, so I'm pleased to discover that there's another two to watch.

7/10
  • anephric 29 Sep 2019 18:29:50 3,525 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Series 7 of Spiral (Engrenages) has started with absolutely zero fanfare on BBC4 this week. I've missed the first two episodes so will have to watch on iPlayer but 3 and 4 are on tonight. Rest on two a night for the remainder of the week.
  • Fab4 29 Sep 2019 20:41:29 8,854 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It isn't season 7, it is a repeat of season 6.
  • anephric 29 Sep 2019 21:25:32 3,525 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it? Yay, I haven't missed it then, it didn't say repeat in the Freesat listings.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Sep 2019 22:37:54 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Detectorists (S1)

This is a show I've always wanted to check out, but never seemed to get round to it - well I've fixed that and it's a great show. The humour is quite understated and very dry and works well. The story is quite mundane, but fits the context. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm eagerly waiting the next series to come on iPlayer.

8/10
    Keep watching... and have tissues at hand
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Sep 2019 23:16:26 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Moop

Edited by Decks at 23:21:16 29-09-2019
  • pacrifice 30 Sep 2019 02:33:18 5,059 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Designated Survivor.

Season 1 was good, interesting. Season 2 just skip the family drama moments to what the story is really about... And it's still kinda meh. Season 3 was a wreck. Swearing for the sake of it because they can on Netflix.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Sep 2019 13:42:48 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Criminal (United Kingdom)

There's only three episodes? But what was there was entertaining enough, especially as it remained confined within the interrogation. UNfortunately the 'twists' were telegraphed, but an ok watch overall.

6/10
  • spindle9988 30 Sep 2019 16:15:01 5,000 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Mindhunter season 1

Hammy but entertaining about FBI guys analysing murdering psychopaths. If it wasn't bingeable on Netflix I'm not sure I'd stick with it as broadcast tv. The 60s period setting never feels authentic either.

But yet...

6.5/10
    That's probably because it was set in the late 70s.
    :)
  • BinaryBob101 30 Sep 2019 17:19:52 27,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Top Boy - 6/10

It's ok I guess. A few have raved about it in here, which I find a little odd. It's ok.

The acting is uniformly fine. The story is fine if a bit lacking. Characters are fine, if a little one dimensional and lacking depth. It's all fine I guess. Only problem with fine is it all lacks a bit of sting. I was expecting just a bit more.
  • arty 30 Sep 2019 17:26:40 601 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You do know that Mind Hunter is authentic though?
  • Tomo 30 Sep 2019 17:31:58 17,039 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    State of the Union - 9/10

Chris O'Dowd/Rosamund Pike middle-class four-wheel-drive, 3-wheel-buggy drama which joins the couple in the pub before they venture across the road to their marital counselling session. It's pretty funny, makes you think a bit and each episode is 10 minutes, so it's like micro-dosing a boxset.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.