Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 241

• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Sep 2019 19:13:31 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    arty wrote:
    You do know that Mind Hunter is authentic though?
    I meant the look and feel rather than the plots. Holden being a generic modern tv lead doesn't help.
    I like series 2 more than one, the procedural case solving stuff is good stuff
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2019 06:56:54 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mindhunter should be right up my street, but I just can't get into it. Must be my current state of mind,as I normally like methodical slow burners
  • JoelStinty 5 Oct 2019 08:54:33 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Killing Eve. S1

Great. You always worry that shows won't live up to the hype but this one did. I can't remember the last time a single character carried a show like Villianelle does. Every time she is on screen you are just anticipating what the fuck she is going to do next. She is backed up by a great supporting cast in particular, Sandra Oh, David Haig and Kim Bodnia.

Only downer is that the actual events that the plot lines revolve around is bit meh, and a bit.. well BBC drama (which to be fair it is), but thats not really the point of the show. Sadistic, smart, bloody funny, and really fun to watch.

4.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 08:55:50 05-10-2019
  • sirtacos 5 Oct 2019 10:53:51 8,192 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This Is Us, seasons 1 & 2

Maudlin, manipulative, cloying crap. Nearly every conflict is neatly resolved immediately in the most picture perfect and banal way possible. Every emotional moment is punctuated by the same fucking soft acoustic guitar riff. Every episode has at least 3 characters spouting some inanely profound shite about Life, Love or the True Meaning of Family.

It's "real life" drama filtered through a Hallmark postcard.

It's infuriating because it's still very watchable and has some elements of a genuinely good show, but it stops short of that, because its only ambition is to be emotional comfort food for people to watch with a pack of tissues and a box of wine.

(My partner keeps watching this and I hate it but I also like it which makes me hate it even more.)

Also although it's mainly aimed at women it oddly has a dearth of interesting female characters.

Essentially, This Is Us is to drama what Bing Bang Theory is to comedy.

4/10

Edited by sirtacos at 12:55:27 05-10-2019
  • TechnoHippy 6 Oct 2019 09:37:42 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Preacher (S4)

Excellent build up and conclusion of a very oddball story about the apocalypse sort of sin city meets paradise lost. The characters balance each other out and I'd love to see the saint star in his own spin off series.

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 6 Oct 2019 15:25:51 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Detectorists (S2)

Brilliant show - very dry humour and the blend of the hobby and real life is spot on. Looking forward to the next season :-)

9/10
  • freddymercurystwin 8 Oct 2019 11:13:08 1,775 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone start watching the new series of Motherhood on BBC 2 last night? It's quite subtle and I guess will likely appeal more to those who have to bear the drudgery of the school drop-off/pick up.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Oct 2019 22:53:53 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Detectorists Series 1

Perfect

10/10
  • Dougs 9 Oct 2019 19:51:51 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gomorrah S3. 8/10. More horrible people doing horrible things to each other, but my it's so well done. Beautiful last scene .

Edited by Dougs at 19:52:28 09-10-2019
  • Stuz359 9 Oct 2019 21:25:57 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Loudest Voice.

Story of Roger Ailes creating the fox network and his influence on events over several decades of US events. Really interesting, i'll go with 8/10.
  • Vortex808 9 Oct 2019 22:59:05 13,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Gomorrah S3. 8/10. More horrible people doing horrible things to each other, but my it's so well done. Beautiful last scene .
    Good stuff. I still have S4 sitting here unwatched. Now the darker nights are here, it might be time to fire it up.
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2019 10:00:21 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm going to bowl straight into it next week. Naples buys a hell of a lot of drugs though.
  • Anthony_UK 10 Oct 2019 12:50:00 2,967 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Peaky Blinders season 2 7/10

Cillian Murphy in anything is a win and I'm loving that the BBC has made something rivalling HBO in terms of production values. That along with a great cast make it worth a watch, but as watchable as it is I really don't understand the hype so far.

There's just nothing subtle about it, each scene feels like exposition and the whole thing is stylised to the point of glorification of what are murdering gangsters.

On a desperate note, mind blown that the actor who plays Sabini is Locke from GOT.
  • Blakester 11 Oct 2019 09:36:59 4,825 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Anyone start watching the new series of Motherhood on BBC 2 last night? It's quite subtle and I guess will likely appeal more to those who have to bear the drudgery of the school drop-off/pick up.
    Do you mean Motherland?

Hadn't watched the first series, but blasted through series two in a few days.

It's not a laugh out loud comedy, but very well observed (especially the pain and misery of school sports day) and most of the characters are either likeable or hissable villains.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2019 09:41:33
    @Anthony_UK I couldn't get on with PB for the reasons you outlined. Wondering whether I'm missing out on something significant
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Oct 2019 00:53:14 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Anthony_UK if you're feeling that in season 2 then season 5 will be a real chore
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Oct 2019 10:15:58 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Motherland s2

Not as relatable as the first series as it becomes less about parenting and more about the squabbles between the main characters but still a solid sitcom.

Interesting the Graham Linehan has been replaced by his wife on the writing staff. I wonder if that's a pr move after al the terrible things he's been saying on twitter.

7.5/10
  • JoelStinty 12 Oct 2019 10:27:15 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Peaky Blinders season 2 7/10

Cillian Murphy in anything is a win and I'm loving that the BBC has made something rivalling HBO in terms of production values. That along with a great cast make it worth a watch, but as watchable as it is I really don't understand the hype so far.

There's just nothing subtle about it, each scene feels like exposition and the whole thing is stylised to the point of glorification of what are murdering gangsters.

On a desperate note, mind blown that the actor who plays Sabini is Locke from GOT.
    Yeah I feel kind of the same with PB. I really enjoyed the first season but it has never really recaptured what made it great in the first place. The Russian season is pretty good though. I havenít seen the latest one yet and not really in a rush too to be honest
  • Dougs 12 Oct 2019 10:30:09 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've tried, but I just can't get into PB at all. It's ok, but o struggle to care about the characters (albeit only after 6 episodes or so)
  • TechnoHippy 12 Oct 2019 11:19:12 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Capture

Quite an interesting techno thriller and quite a dark view of the world in places. While it's a bit far fetched, the direction of it does feel plausible in today's society. Performances were a little mixed, but carried the story well enough and the ending went much darker than I expected.

8/10

Peaky Blinders (S5)

More of the same and entertaining enough.The politics lacked something for me, compared to previous seasons, and the ending didn't really resolve much - it felt more like a set up for the next season.

7/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 14:08:11 12-10-2019
  • anephric 12 Oct 2019 22:07:27 3,525 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Season 7 of Spiral IS now on BBC4, first two eps were on tonight.
  • kentmonkey 12 Oct 2019 22:31:29 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Peaky blinders S5

Gone on for two seasons too many.

S4 was at least entertaining enough, but S5 really feels like it's scraping the barrel. I'm probably done now. Thought S1 & 2 were great, S3 still pretty good, and S4 could have wrapped it up if needed.

For anyone not hooked after the first 4 episodes, I'd say give up as the long game isn't worth it.

4/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Oct 2019 22:58:16 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey it feel like the Shelby story came to its natural conclusion some time ago now.

I'm all for a sleeper hit but this only got massive after it peaked and now it's huge in the States it'll probably have a weird cameo by someone like Johnny Depp next series to fully jump the shark
  • Trafford 13 Oct 2019 07:57:52 8,394 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been on a binge over the last few days.
    Top Boy (Summerhouse) and the netflix relaunch series.
    A solid 10 for me.
    Thought the story and the characters were great.
    Nicely filmed and Brian Eno doing the soundtrack.
    I want more of it soon.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Oct 2019 20:46:32 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Absentia (S1)

Started off strong and sucked me in - although it took me a whole episode to recognise the lead :-) She was good in Castle, but she's much better in this. The mystery is interesting, although does get a little convoluted towards the end, but I binge watched the final 6 episodes just to see how it turned out. I was initially disappointed as it all seemed too neat, but the final scene fixed that.

8/10
  • Dougs 13 Oct 2019 21:14:30 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Motherland s2

Not as relatable as the first series as it becomes less about parenting and more about the squabbles between the main characters but still a solid sitcom.

Interesting the Graham Linehan has been replaced by his wife on the writing staff. I wonder if that's a pr move after al the terrible things he's been saying on twitter.

7.5/10
    6/10 for me. It started well, but tailed off quite badly, the holiday episode was excruciating. Some decent observations though, and had its moments.
  • Nanocrystal 14 Oct 2019 00:04:24 1,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently re-watching The Wire. Season 1 is tight, yo. A perfect 10, and I'd like to amend my previous scores for all other shows by -1.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Oct 2019 00:20:22 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Detectorists s2

Perfect

10/10
  • JoelStinty 14 Oct 2019 11:26:06 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dexter Season 3

A mixed season three, it really sags in the middle and I started to lose interest in the show. It kind of goes all soap opera but it pulled me back on board with a very strong ending.

It already feels like they pushing what can be done with the show

3.5/5

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.