After that, it becomes utter wank.
  • Dougs 14 Oct 2019 11:54:15 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I binned it halfway though S5
  • Gruff 14 Oct 2019 12:08:43 3,480 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started watching Ash Vs The evil dead again, I got as far as midway through the 2nd season first time, dunno why I stopped, other things going on.

My God, its fantastic, pin sharp writing, over the top buckets of blood, not normally my genre, but the humour is on point. Loving it, and a 3rd season to watch fresh.
  • RawShark 14 Oct 2019 15:03:53 953 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah Dexter peaks at 4. You can pretty much skip season 5 after the first episode and it makes no difference to the story - it's filler at its most filleriest. Other seasons have the odd moment here or there (I quite liked the Colin Hanks story arc) but it's never as good as the Trinity Killer story. Anf the final season is incredibly weak - I think everyone involved had stopped caring by that point.

Did finish season one of Succession. Best way I could describe it is that it's a really good show about utterly horrible people.
  • papalazar0u 14 Oct 2019 22:56:34 23 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Succession Season 2 - 10/10. Think that last episode was about as perfect an episode as possible. Didnít want it to end (had to look at how long was left a couple of times, hoping that it wasnít close to the end), however what an ending when it came.
  • Stuz359 14 Oct 2019 23:28:36 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah it was a good watch, but I could see that ending coming a mile away.
  • papalazar0u 14 Oct 2019 23:31:30 23 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Stuz359 yeah agree - thought it was going that way and there were enough references to it throughout, didnít detract from how effective it was though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Oct 2019 00:43:00 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Started watching Ash Vs The evil dead again, I got as far as midway through the 2nd season first time, dunno why I stopped, other things going on.

My God, its fantastic, pin sharp writing, over the top buckets of blood, not normally my genre, but the humour is on point. Loving it, and a 3rd season to watch fresh.
    I put off watching for ages because I thought there was no way it could possibly capture the feel of the films, that it would be boring network tv nonsense but how wrong I was
  • Blakester 15 Oct 2019 08:45:25 4,825 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Succession - Season 2

Easily the best TV I've watched this year. Humour, drama, killer quotes and genuine shocks from some of the most deplorable characters ever committed to screen. The final episode achieved something I thought was impossible, it made me sympathetic for Tom.

A whole year to wait for season 3, but it'll be worth it if the quality is as high.

10/10

"You can't make a Tomlette without breaking some Greggs"
  • PatrickEwing 15 Oct 2019 09:56:07 2,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    re Dexter, I'd well watch a series of Doakes giving out shit in the police force pre-Dexter...
  • TechnoHippy 15 Oct 2019 12:42:42 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    American Horror Story: Apocalypse

This isn't the strongest season, for me it felt too incoherent. So much so that I gave up halfway through and returned a few months later. In fairness that final few episodes did tie it together and it had some nice moments.

6/10
  • chopsen 15 Oct 2019 13:06:49 20,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think Dexter went downhill after/during the second season. It started going to shit when they started to make out that he deep down wanted to be good, but it was all his parents fault.. Really lazy cliche to fall back on.

It was way more interesting when he was a unrepentant fuck up, he knew it, he knew how to hide it and somehow you still rooted for him. It all bit incongruous when the gave him feelings of regret and emotional abandonment.

Edited by chopsen at 13:07:06 15-10-2019
  • Mola_Ram 15 Oct 2019 13:15:44 21,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's probably fair enough. Season 4 was only really great because of John Lithgow.
  • chopsen 15 Oct 2019 13:26:32 20,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, he was good. I suspect without him the show would have ended a lot sooner.

It definitely outstayed it's welcome either way!
  • TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2019 10:27:33 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Absentia (S2)

It lacks some of the impact of the first season, but the investigations remained interesting. Although the final reveal did seem a tad abrupt. The lead was watchable, but suffered a little from being annoying (in a similar fashion to Carrie in Homeland) with the drive to do things her way no matter what the cost. Still a decent watch overall though.

7/10
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2019 14:23:52 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím working my way through The Shield as it was a cheap box set and I needed something for my commute.

Just finished season 2. Itís a bit shit really. I can imagine it had more impact at the time but it also was out around the same time as The Wire which is in a completely different league.

Main problem is that Chiklis is a horrific actor.
  • BinaryBob101 16 Oct 2019 16:47:51 27,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Succession Season 2 - An easy 10/10

The best written and funniest show currently on TV comes to an end for the year and I'm genuinely sad.

Some of the most awful characters ever and just so damn quotable.

"You can't make a Tomellete without breaking a few Greggs."

Peak telly then. Must cost a lot less for HBO than Got too.
  • BinaryBob101 16 Oct 2019 16:52:59 27,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh shit, sorry Blakester didn't see that.

Serious quotes are amazing too:

I wonder if the sad Iíd be without you, would be less than the sad I get from being with you.Ē
  • HairyArse 16 Oct 2019 16:53:08 1,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Iím working my way through The Shield as it was a cheap box set and I needed something for my commute.

Just finished season 2. Itís a bit shit really. I can imagine it had more impact at the time but it also was out around the same time as The Wire which is in a completely different league.

Main problem is that Chiklis is a horrific actor.
    Don't say that. I have fond memories of it and planned on watching the 4K remasters again at some point. I still have vivid memories of that final episode, but won't say anything for fear of spoilers.

Did anyone else watch SouthLand? I thought that was brilliant and was really disappointed when it got cancelled. Similar sort of vibe to The Shield but with more emphasis on the boys in blue than the undercover detectives.
  • Frogofdoom 16 Oct 2019 16:55:36 14,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really liked Southland and they cancelled it in a terrible place.
  • Dougs 16 Oct 2019 17:32:34 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Homicide: Life on the Streets was good too.

Only watched the first series of The Shield, I quite enjoyed it but despite it being on All 4, I haven't quite gotten round to watching more.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2019 17:56:22 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Homicide is David Simon (The Wire). It has also aged but his writing is on a different t level so it still hold up better than a lot of other things from that time. The Wire is as fresh today as it was at the time.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Oct 2019 21:18:54 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm late, but

Succession (series one)

Fucking brilliant
  • Lotos8ter 17 Oct 2019 15:57:07 2,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Another Succession Series 2 10/10 from me.

For anyone coming to it new, don't expect to love it straight away. Season 1 builds and you need to get to know the characters before it works properly. Season 2 was uniformly excellent though.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2019 17:35:03 15,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whilst I agree that The Shield isn't on par with The Wire I still enjoyed it for what it was, and for me it had one of the most apt endings in a TV show.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Oct 2019 18:42:09 22,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Shield is rare thing in that it improves as it goes on. The final few seasons are brilliant. The way the drama shapes the characters and their development is pretty good.

Granted, I haven't watched it for a while and my memory may have dimmed as to the bad bits. I do remember Forrest Whittaker chewing all the scenery but it is gloriously him.

Might need to give it a rewatch.
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2019 21:25:37 9,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dark Season 2

After the excellent 1st season, this is a dire disappointment. All theyíre trying to do is confuse you more, probably hoping people think itís incomprehensible so it must be clever.

Characters are all just completely unlikeable by now and they should all just go back to the start. They also just plain forget about plot elements, hello children with eyes burned out by chair.

And donít even get me started on the terrible ending. Parallel fucking worlds! I will not be coming back for a S3.

4/10
  • kentmonkey 17 Oct 2019 21:27:24 23,191 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What 'service' can I watch succession on? It has me intrigued, but I don't remember seeing it on any of the sub services.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.