@kentmonkey It's on Sky Atlantic.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 Oct 2019 22:09:30 9,972 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HBO Go / Crave / NowTV / yarr
  • kentmonkey 17 Oct 2019 22:28:10 23,609 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks both. I have now TV for another 4 weeks so I'll try to hit it during that time
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2019 23:16:49 94,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've only watched 4 episodes but it is fantastic
  • Mola_Ram 18 Oct 2019 04:57:32 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Dark Season 2

After the excellent 1st season, this is a dire disappointment. All theyíre trying to do is confuse you more, probably hoping people think itís incomprehensible so it must be clever.

Characters are all just completely unlikeable by now and they should all just go back to the start. They also just plain forget about plot elements, hello children with eyes burned out by chair.

And donít even get me started on the terrible ending. Parallel fucking worlds! I will not be coming back for a S3.

4/10
    Though I ended up liking season 1, I still think that the show didn't really need the sci-fi elements. It would have worked perfectly fine as a generation-spanning murder mystery.
  • Gibroon 18 Oct 2019 08:51:34 2,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Detectorists season 1 & 2

Lovely, simple, funny, charming stuff. Just the sort of escapism TV that's needed these days.

Where do I find season 3?

BBC 4 tomorrow, episodes 1-3, next week 4-6. Sweet!

Edited by Gibroon at 08:53:49 18-10-2019
  • Vortex808 18 Oct 2019 09:03:53 13,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Try to find the xmas special which fits between 2 &3 if you can too!
  • MadCaddy13 18 Oct 2019 19:30:12 3,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Better call Saul S1

Iím not too sure why it took so long for me to start on this show but Iím glad Iíve got 3 seasons to go!

Really enjoyed the characters, new and old, looking forward to season 2

8/10
  • RawShark 20 Oct 2019 11:56:34 1,210 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Living With Your Self

Paul Rudd is always relatable so thatís a plus. Itís well put together, good score, well shot, and the narrative framing is interesting.

But while it is at times an interesting mediation on self loathing and late-30s malaise, I feel like it never quite grasps that concept with both hands, instead falling back to Multiplicity-style farcical situations. In fact, too often it feels like a soft reboot of that concept. And thatís a reboot/remake that no one asked for.

The narrative gets a little confused at points too, with one time jump going completely unexplained. Another thing I never really understood was the reasons behind going to the sex clinic when itís made clear that the issue is not with his sperm count, but his wife being unable to carry the baby to term Some scenes feel a bit fillerish, and thereís a few story elements that are set up, as cliffhangers no less, only for them not to go anywhere.

I would have actually preferred this to be a two hour film with an actual ending than have the concept stretched over eight episodes with a vague promise of more episodes to come.

Not terrible by any means, but not particularly satisfying either. Itís disappointing as there really are some interesting ideas in there.

5/10
  • StixxUK 20 Oct 2019 12:06:02 8,331 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not sure if it belongs in this thread as it's reality TV rather than a "series" as such, but just the second series of The Circle just finished.

For those that don't know, it's a reality TV series in which a bunch of people are confined to flats, cut off from the outside world and only communicate via a mini-social network. Some are real people, and a few are "catfish".

Didn't watch the first series but I found it absolutely fascinating and captivating, and was definitely rooting for and against certain particpants to GoT levels. Got me thinking how much was real vs scripted/nudged/well-edited.

Did anyone else watch it and what did you think?
  • Gruff 20 Oct 2019 19:06:26 3,599 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Better call Saul S1

Iím not too sure why it took so long for me to start on this show but Iím glad Iíve got 3 seasons to go!

Really enjoyed the characters, new and old, looking forward to season 2

8/10
    I'm jealous, slow burn perfection
  • Khanivor 22 Oct 2019 19:52:16 44,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bosch, Season 5 - 7/10

A bit of a dip after the last couple of seasons, which were phenomenal. This one really hues close to its source material novels and having recently read them my brain hadnít had time to do its usual work on memory and forget WTF happened. As such there was much less suspense for me. The acting remains very strong and itís style and tone hasnít wavered in five years. The consistency is one of its strengths.

Star Trek Discovery, S1 - 6/10

Really enjoyed the first few episodes when it looked to be setting up mysteries to play out over the series. Then they are solved. The whole Klingon in a human plot bugged the living fuck out of me, especially with the camera work. The middle of the season sagged deeply to where I almost broke band gave up. It was Voyager quality shite.

It picked up in the concluding episodes although some pretty stupid shit continued to happen with depressing regularity. The whole thing is a bit of a mess really and screams the agony of a show with no strong sense of purpose or direction being pulled on by dozens of different people all wanting something different.

Production quality is amazing though.
  • Dougs 23 Oct 2019 07:07:16 94,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I watched the latest series of Bosch having just read the book too. It's a decent, solid show which I enjoy a lot.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Oct 2019 09:01:04 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Tunnel (S1)

A decent (if far fetched) investigation, with good chemistry between the main characters. It has a Seven feel to it which worked for me.

7/10
  • Tricky 23 Oct 2019 10:34:50 4,992 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Star Trek Discovery, S1 - 6/10

Really enjoyed the first few episodes when it looked to be setting up mysteries to play out over the series. Then they are solved. The whole Klingon in a human plot bugged the living fuck out of me, especially with the camera work. The middle of the season sagged deeply to where I almost broke band gave up. It was Voyager quality shite.

It picked up in the concluding episodes although some pretty stupid shit continued to happen with depressing regularity. The whole thing is a bit of a mess really and screams the agony of a show with no strong sense of purpose or direction being pulled on by dozens of different people all wanting something different.

Production quality is amazing though.
    Pretty fair summary. Opinions differ but personally series 2 was a major step up, so if you were thinking of not bothering I'd recommend giving it a try.
  • jaangus 23 Oct 2019 12:47:29 5,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Iím working my way through The Shield as it was a cheap box set and I needed something for my commute.

Just finished season 2. Itís a bit shit really. I can imagine it had more impact at the time but it also was out around the same time as The Wire which is in a completely different league.

Main problem is that Chiklis is a horrific actor.
    Don't say that. I have fond memories of it and planned on watching the 4K remasters again at some point. I still have vivid memories of that final episode, but won't say anything for fear of spoilers.

Did anyone else watch SouthLand? I thought that was brilliant and was really disappointed when it got cancelled. Similar sort of vibe to The Shield but with more emphasis on the boys in blue than the undercover detectives.
    The Shield is superb and thats coming from someone who thinks The Wire is the greatest tv show ever. I didnt realise that it had been redone in 4k so cheers as the picture quality was the only thing putting me off rewatching it.
  • chopsen 23 Oct 2019 19:47:24 21,041 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first season of The Shield is ok but was dated when I saw it years ago. The second and third are not so great and one of them is properly really shit (can't remember which).

After that though, it gets really good as the proper story arc that propels it towards the last seaosn gets going.

If you didn't like Sons of Anarchy though, you're not going to like this. It's get a very similar thing going on.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2019 19:54:20
    I liked Shield a lot overall despite feeling very similar to you guys.

Anarchy tho I just couldn't get on with. I gave up by the last season.

Edited by adamasunder12 at 19:55:04 23-10-2019
  • dominalien 25 Oct 2019 09:28:00 9,652 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Carole and Tuesday on Netflix

Two girls try to make it big in the music industry.

It starts off well enough. The songs range from whatever to mildly ok and the way they show everyone staring with tears in their eyes is just cringeworthy.

Once the talent show starts it becomes a complete slog and is painful to watch.

The ending is embarrassing and should be struck from existence.

4/10
  • Khanivor 25 Oct 2019 13:30:25 44,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Tricky - watched the first Episode of S2. It was a massive step up in quality. Cinema quality production too. Very good
  • sirtacos 26 Oct 2019 02:34:40 8,244 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does it tone down the offensive levels of stupidity and incessant shaky cam in S2?
  • RawShark 26 Oct 2019 23:00:07 1,210 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bojack Horseman Season 6 Part One

Oh God. I donít want it to be over. But itís building up to the best ending ever. At first I was going to be critical in that it was Bojack light and tertiary character heavy, but by the end it all makes sense. Itís possibly the best writing in television. Including Succession.

Somewhere, Logan Roy is telling me to fuck off.

10/10.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Oct 2019 06:21:17 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RawShark
    Always meaning to get around to start watching this. I'm on season one of Big Mouth at the moment, which will is good I'm not sold yet. I also have Disenchanted pt 2 to watch
    ...bloody 'toons ;)
  • johnnyrocketfingers 27 Oct 2019 11:25:41 300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Parks and Rec 1000/10

I finished all of Farscape too and man it is so weird. It felt confusing and all the characters had some real conflicts in the early seasons and I couldn't "get it". Real survival stakes. I liked it more near the end when there was some focus on preventing war and the wormhole tech.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Oct 2019 11:31:47 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did you watch it at 2x speed?
  • johnnyrocketfingers 27 Oct 2019 11:39:05 300 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Mola_Ram I watched it on the second monitor while doing other things.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Oct 2019 10:02:44 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Tunnel (S2)

Well paced, but despite the larger scale of events it felt less immediate than the first series. The chemistry between the leads remains strong and the investigation kept me interested until the end.

7/10

and season 3 of the same was shorter, with a more mundane investigation, but still overly complex plotting. It didn't have quite the same deep state undertones from the previous seasons. However the chemistry still worked and I didn't see the ending coming. Fun, but probably best they didn't try to do more.

7/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 09:27:35 29-10-2019
  • Dougs 30 Oct 2019 16:38:40 94,622 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rust Valley Restorers 7.5/10. I don't know why it works, but it does. Fascinating stuff, very watchable with some really good people involved (so I do know really). I'm not really a car person but really enjoyed it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Oct 2019 19:02:38 13,966 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BBC iPlayer not putting the Christmas Special between series 2 and 3 of Detectorists really gives the third series a big "you've missed something here" vibe with characters and situations in place with none of their set up being shown

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.