Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 250

• X201 24 Dec 2019 06:50:46 20,710 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heís got no grounds to complain, he brought it on himself by breaking the thread rules.
    ďWhole series onlyĒ
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Dec 2019 10:51:16 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Breached on the grounds that it wholly sucks.
  • DocDawg 24 Dec 2019 11:17:06 165 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus Christ the Witcher series is just hideous to look at. It looks so cheap. Where the fuck did they shoot this thing? And its hilarious how shitty and unknown all these actors are. Seems like they just cast the local population in whatever Eastern European shithole they shot this in. This show is so damned budget in its locales and actors.
  • creepiest-lizard 24 Dec 2019 11:42:23 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the settings and locales used were beautiful and very in keeping with the Witcher mythos, but then I'm not some psychopath who seems to have a chip on his shoulder about "eastern Europe"
  • barchetta 24 Dec 2019 11:48:25 2,666 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    So it seems the BBC have done for Scrooge what they did for War Of The World's, turned it to shit!

/sigh
    Youíre wrong.
    Itís great.
    No bloody tweeness, as Dickens intended, the book is meant to be an attack on the men of business and the world they created. Itís not supposed to be comfortable or easy to read/watch.

The poor arenít lovverly cockerney caricatures guvínor.
    I quite enjoyed what I saw of CC but it looked frickin hideous - macro blocking all over the dark scenes (which is to say nearly all of it). Surprised the Beeb wouldn't opt for UHD stream of this on iPlayer too. Missed opportunity there.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Dec 2019 13:55:02 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DocDawg wrote:
    Jesus Christ the Witcher series is just hideous to look at. It looks so cheap. Where the fuck did they shoot this thing? And its hilarious how shitty and unknown all these actors are. Seems like they just cast the local population in whatever Eastern European shithole they shot this in. This show is so damned budget in its locales and actors.
    The first scene with the spider thing looks very stagey but after that I thought it was mostly fine
  • TechnoHippy 25 Dec 2019 13:20:45 17,700 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    His Dark Materials

A fairly decent adaptation of the books, there's some change to the story, but it still feels right and much better than the film attempt. The characters come across well for the most part, and Lyra is as annoying as she was in the books. I'm interested how they handle some of the more esoteric aspects of the following books.

And armoured bears rule :-)

7/10
  • johnnyrocketfingers 25 Dec 2019 13:40:06 304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished the new Christmas Carol adaptation from BBC. Very cool. And I like Stephen Graham in most things.
  • Tomo 25 Dec 2019 14:00:58 18,060 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    His Dark Materials was a solid 9 for me. Loved it - perfect Sunday viewing. Reminded me of being a nipper and watching weekend event telly.
  • creepiest-lizard 25 Dec 2019 14:07:05 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does Dark Materials just cover the first book in the series?
    As a previous poster said, I'm not sure how the BBC will deal with the themes of the later story's theological stance. If they don't chicken out and recreate it faithfully I can imagine the BBC will get alot of middle England complaints considering the way this country is going
  • TechnoHippy 25 Dec 2019 15:04:27 17,700 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The first season covers the first book, with some elements from later on brought forward.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Dec 2019 15:54:51 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    His Dark Materials gets a 9/10 from me too.
  • TechnoHippy 25 Dec 2019 19:31:10 17,700 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A Christmas Carol

Another nice adaptation. It's well presented with some good performances. I wasn't immediately convinced, but on the second episode it clicked and was fantastic to the end.

8/10
  • Stuz359 25 Dec 2019 21:51:24 277 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lost in Space season 2. Excellent to be honest, really good watch so 9/10.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Dec 2019 22:05:57 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A Christmas Carol

Dreadful tedious first episode but parts two and three really fired things up. One of the most affecting Tiny Tims I've seen.

7.8/10
  • creepiest-lizard 25 Dec 2019 22:18:45 1,888 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr Robot Season 4
    Fantastic, fitting, moving end to maybe my favourite tv series of all time. I cannot recommend this show more highly. What seemed like it would be a clever show about a computer hacker in the end was so much more
    9/10
    I'd give the series as a whole 10/10 though
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Dec 2019 22:29:57 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Martin's Close

One of ghost story for Christmas M R James adaptation from Mark Gatiss. It has shit me right up.

8.5/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Dec 2019 23:01:58 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Susan Hill's Ghost Story

Channel 5 adaptation of the follow up novella to The Woman In Black, The Small Hand.

Surprisingly haunting and spooky for something that had the production values of the average episode of Vera.

The malevolent ghost kid was really creep and the ending had a proper chill to it.

Unsettling.

7.5/10
  • QBX 26 Dec 2019 23:50:21 188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Peaky Blinders (Series 5)

The best series since the first if not second.

They managed to create a threat in Mosley without contriving to make him ineffectual at every turn like the previous series and did so without getting their clothes off every 5 minutes.

9/10
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 27 Dec 2019 02:01:19 2,954 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Donít fuck with cats - 7/10

Another one of those Netflix murder docs, you donít see anything grim but itís pretty clear cut unlike making a murder and the like.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Dec 2019 15:27:29 17,700 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Expanse (S4)

Follows on nicely from the previous series and sets up the next. Most of threads progressed with some interest, a;though the Martian aspect lagged a little, but came good at the end. My only slight criticism is that it doesn't seem to be in any hurry with the central mystery, but the journey is interesting enough to not be a big concern.

9/10
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Dec 2019 15:42:35 23,487 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @TechnoHippy that was one of the things I really liked about the series. It could have gone all grand and huge but it instead made a story about the small encampment and frontier law. It made it more compelling in many ways.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Dec 2019 15:51:55 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    Peaky Blinders (Series 5)

The best series since the first if not second.

They managed to create a threat in Mosley without contriving to make him ineffectual at every turn like the previous series and did so without getting their clothes off every 5 minutes.

9/10
    I think I'm exactly opposite to every part of this review. I thought Mosley's presence was a jumped shark.
  • RedPanda87 27 Dec 2019 16:53:11 2,036 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Expanse (S4)

Follows on nicely from the previous series and sets up the next. Most of threads progressed with some interest, a;though the Martian aspect lagged a little, but came good at the end. My only slight criticism is that it doesn't seem to be in any hurry with the central mystery, but the journey is interesting enough to not be a big concern.

9/10
    I like the pace but I am concerned that it might get cancelled again before it gets to see the story through.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Dec 2019 20:35:54 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Worzel Gummidge

Mackenzie Crook two part adaptation that brings more folklore in and hints of Detectorist tenderness.

Absolutely lovely.

9.5/10
  • johnnyrocketfingers 27 Dec 2019 22:23:10 304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished Troy Fall of a City.

I liked it a lot a wicked fresh take on the Trojan War that didn't look to adapt the Iliad but instead draw from other versions including new ideas. Gyasi was great as Achilles but I wished we had more God scenes, especially since this happens to be one of the few portrayals of the war that actually depicts them. Almost every other work chooses to ignore them.
  • Darth_Flibble 28 Dec 2019 09:53:46 4,430 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    American Horror Story: Apocalypse (season 8)

I quite liked they linked s8 to s3 and s1 (The murder house is the best season) and little reference to s5 but I would of liked to seen more of the Apocalypse setting. I thought the robot was bit far far fetched even for a show about witches, demons ghosts etc, the dumber and dumber looking robot creators were cringing at every minute, they should of got rid of this sub plot. Also the misandristic witch with dodgy orange wig can fuck off as well

7/10
  • QBX 28 Dec 2019 12:25:50 188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I'm not disagreeing with you. I thought the shark jumping came when Tommy became an MP - I had him down for Prime Minister the way the show has gone ;-)

But my review isn't necessarily praise for S5 just how bad the previous two were.

I had no idea what was going on in S3 and as I alluded to you could actively see the writers trying to make the mafia hit squad as useless as possible in S4 which is where things needed to change.

Following that anything would have been an improvement.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Dec 2019 13:15:57 14,561 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @QBX Yeah I can see the problems in the previous seasons too. I think almost every problem the show has had is that it became a huge success after it reached a point of natural conclusion and they just have to keep stringing things out and bolting ever more outrageous situations to keep it escalating year on year.
  • Gruff 28 Dec 2019 13:57:08 3,630 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Expanse (S4)

9/10
    I like the pace but I am concerned that it might get cancelled again before it gets to see the story through.
    They are already filming the next series at least I hear:) It gets epic, events wise, the adaption in this series has foreshadowed those events, cannot wait.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.