Registered 16 years ago
    Oh 8/10

Damn new page - castle rock s1

Edited by cov at 12:26:16 06-02-2020
  • JYM60 6 Feb 2020 14:36:26 18,180 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Office UK 10/10

Had not watched it for ages. Series 2 and specials are better than the first I think. Kinda gutting that there is only 14 episodes, but obviously Gervais likes ending things on a high. I heard that the David Brent movie is a pile of crap, anyone watched it?

I always watch episodes of the US Office too. I probably prefer the US one at it's peak as there is a lot more of it, and a lot more good characters. US dropped way off a cliff later though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Feb 2020 14:41:50 12,202 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @JYM60 the movie is like someone had written Brent having only experienced him through memes and novelty birthday cards not the original series itself
  • wuntyate 6 Feb 2020 14:57:51 13,790 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Witcher

Finally made it to the end. Only one duff episode I thought (the dragon one), but the rest were great. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next season. I'll definitely be giving this a rewatch before then though.

9/10

Edited by wuntyate at 14:58:04 06-02-2020
  • minky-kong 6 Feb 2020 15:10:27 14,492 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyate Finished this yesterday as well and I agree with you, and I only really found the dragon bit shit because of the weird disconnected voice-over for him, the rest of that episode was great.
  • RGeefe 6 Feb 2020 15:15:46 502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally completed Good Place.

Came very late to the party on this and, wow. Funny, thoughtful, logical character arcs, nothing felt wasted and it went out on its own terms in a way that was touching and makes sense.

Absolutely incredible television, at a time where I'd lost all hope that Americans could make anything funny. Perfectly uplifting but nuanced and tackles big subjects in a grounded way. Plus Ted Danson stealing every scene.

10/10
  • RGeefe 6 Feb 2020 15:17:15 502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    The Office UK 10/10

Had not watched it for ages. Series 2 and specials are better than the first I think. Kinda gutting that there is only 14 episodes, but obviously Gervais likes ending things on a high. I heard that the David Brent movie is a pile of crap, anyone watched it?

I always watch episodes of the US Office too. I probably prefer the US one at it's peak as there is a lot more of it, and a lot more good characters. US dropped way off a cliff later though.
    Brent movie has its moments but it suffers from being complete unnecessary and no Merchant.

"Mental in the head or mental in the legs" is a line that gets me every time though.
  • cowell 6 Feb 2020 17:22:13 2,101 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Sopranos - Series 2 - 10/10

The re-watch continues and series 2 is gold as well. Richie Aprile is a stone cold psychopath.

Into series 3 and his mother very suddenly passes away, which feels like a disapointment considering what has come prior. However transpires, the actress had passed away The CGI work is a bit off, but I guess they had to make the best of it
  • wuntyate 6 Feb 2020 18:16:06 13,790 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • wuntyate 6 Feb 2020 18:16:06 13,790 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @minky-kong hmm yeah. That could be what did it tbh.
  • Dougs 6 Feb 2020 18:23:02 92,086 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @cowell the way Ritchie fucks up Beansie is grim. And I miss Livia in later seasons. She was a piece of work. Brilliantly done.
  • cowell 6 Feb 2020 19:02:31 2,101 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @cowell the way Ritchie fucks up Beansie is grim. And I miss Livia in later seasons. She was a piece of work. Brilliantly done.
    Outstanding performance as Livia
  • Rum_Monkey 6 Feb 2020 22:57:17 151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Ray Donovan s7 - 8/10

Very consistent show for me always delivering an 8/10. Good acting with good characters and drama. It's a real shame it's now cancelled so we won't get the final season.

If you're a fan of the show and haven't watched this season, don't. It will leave you extremely frustrated.
  • sirtacos 7 Feb 2020 09:00:32 8,228 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Outstanding performance as Livia
    Ralphie still takes the cake for me, for obvious reasons. Whereas Richie boy is a violent psychopath who doesn't mind hurting people, Ralph is a violent psychopath who *enjoys* hurting people.

The whole show is a non-stop parade of cunts, which is why I don't think I'll ever be able to watch it a second time - it's exhausting how awful all the characters are.

I wasn't able to finish Boardwalk Empire for that reason - too bleak, with too few redeemable characters. (Sopranos was far too well-written to quit. It was also a lot funnier than B.E., which helped a lot. )

Edited by sirtacos at 09:39:56 07-02-2020
  • arty 7 Feb 2020 09:05:51 640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyate That, and the most ridiculous attempt at a scottish accent in the history of television.
  • Dougs 7 Feb 2020 09:20:37 92,086 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @sirtacos What keeps me coming back is that despite the fact that they are awful cunts, you can't help but like them (the central characters anyway). Even after so many repeated viewings, it's still utterly compelling. I've just got to Pine Barrens again. Best. Episode. Evar

Edit: doh, brain fart there!

Edited by Dougs at 12:43:55 07-02-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Feb 2020 10:17:44 25,305 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs
    Pine Barrens mate ;)
    That is awesome, the miscommunication between Tony to Paulie over the cell and then to Chris is pure Gold.

Directed by...Steve Buscemi no less!
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Feb 2020 10:18:07 151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    The guy was an interior decorator.
  • askew 7 Feb 2020 11:11:24 20,672 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Working my way through The X-Files on Prime Video. When I was a nipper, I used to get my mum to record them off BBC2, so really only saw episodes from the latter half of S2, S3, and S4.

S1: it has not aged well, but has some neat episodes. I think there's only one episode that can be considered part of the 'myth-arc' story in this season: the rest are monster-of-the-week.
  • Dougs 7 Feb 2020 12:44:25 92,086 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 doh!
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Feb 2020 12:57:57 25,305 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dougs
    "Forget about it!" ;)
  • mothercruncher 7 Feb 2020 22:33:13 17,081 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don’t care it’s only episode 1/4, Frankie Boyle’s Tour Of Scotland is a joy, so many good one liners. “The place has more vegetables than I could ever leave on the side of my plate in my life”, “Glen Coe is like me- rugged and beautiful. And responsible for the disappearance of several ramblers”,
  • crashVoodoo 8 Feb 2020 01:02:46 6,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Though I've not technical completed the season yet, i'm loving Condor. It was on Universal last month where i series linked it and promptly forgot about it.

I do like a government conspiracy thriller and for the second night in a row i'm glued to it and only have 3 eps left.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2020 03:12:44
    @askew did the same a few months back. Gave up around the end of season 2 as it was becoming less alien mystery and more horror. Apparently the following series just got worse.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2020 03:13:13
    @mothercruncher thanks for the tip, I'll add it to my backlog.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Feb 2020 06:46:49 12,202 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Working my way through The X-Files on Prime Video. When I was a nipper, I used to get my mum to record them off BBC2, so really only saw episodes from the latter half of S2, S3, and S4.

S1: it has not aged well, but has some neat episodes. I think there's only one episode that can be considered part of the 'myth-arc' story in this season: the rest are monster-of-the-week.
    When I rewatched a couple of years ago I was surprised how fast the conspiracy arc was introduced and progressed. I’d remembered it being a slow burn that was introduced after a long lead in of monsters of the week but it’s there from the start
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Feb 2020 09:40:52 12,202 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seinfeld season 1

First three are all up on All4 now.

Some of the acting is a bit stiff to begin with but the jokes and characters still totally hold up. After Mrs Maybe’s Friends binge it’s a nice change of pace to see people who know how terrible they are.

The early ‘Woody Allen’ George takes a bit of getting used to when the ‘Larry David’ version of the character is who he was always meant to be.

8.7/10
  • spindle9988 9 Feb 2020 11:37:15 5,091 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Finally completed Good Place.

Came very late to the party on this and, wow. Funny, thoughtful, logical character arcs, nothing felt wasted and it went out on its own terms in a way that was touching and makes sense.

Absolutely incredible television, at a time where I'd lost all hope that Americans could make anything funny. Perfectly uplifting but nuanced and tackles big subjects in a grounded way. Plus Ted Danson stealing every scene.

10/10
    I agree. It’s actually now one of my all time favourite shows. It’s hard to make a show where you like every single character. Ted Danson is absolute gold.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Feb 2020 11:52:52 22,599 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, the second half of the final season has been fantastic, still got a couple of episodes left but really don't want it to end.

Few laugh out load moments as well. “What in the name of Kevin Spacey’s self-made Christmas Eve video message to try to get back on House of Cards is going on here?” had me chuckling for ages.
  • creepiest-lizard 9 Feb 2020 11:57:55 1,002 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always thought The Good place looked like one of those quirky irritating american comedy dramas where everyone is funny and clever a la Buffy or Gilmore Girls which I've always despised but its gotten such overwhelming praise on here that I really need to give it a go.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.