Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 259

• TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2020 15:09:45 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Locke and Key

It's fairly decent once it gets going, but a little too much teen drama for my liking. However the story isn't bad, and there's some effective moments. There's a satisfying conclusion, and still a strong hook for another season - hopefully there'll be one.

7/10
  • Chug666 10 Feb 2020 09:51:35 704 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vikings Season 6 (part 1). Enjoyable. Quite a lot of brooding and growling, regularly interrupted by violence and/or nudity.

It's become one of those comfort food shows for me, I'm not convinced its particularly good or has a strong story but I still find myself looking forward to new episodes. One (half) season to go before I'll have to find something new.

It gets an 8 from me.
  • IRWATWO 10 Feb 2020 10:28:11 711 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Snowfall series 1 8/10

Really, really good telly, thanks to all who recommended it. The 2 points off are because it falls into that category (for me), like The Sopranos, where I can enjoy the brilliance, but not actually give a fuck about any of them. As oppose to The Wire, where I cared about just about all of them, even as flawed warped and unpleasant as they often were.

Looking forward to the next 2 series, thanks again, probably wouldn't have got to this otherwise.
  • robthehermit 10 Feb 2020 11:06:24 7,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Good Place. Whatever the last series was.

Thought it was a bit of a step down from the previous series and took too long telling a story that it could have wrapped up in half as many episodes. It rounded things off nicely though so I can't complain too much. 7/10.
  • retro74 10 Feb 2020 11:18:06 3,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eastbound & Down Series 1

I've had this on DVD for a long time but never got past the first episode - which I've now seen 4 times

Watched the whole series this time though, episode 5 was excellent and the rest were ok

7 out of 10
  • RawShark 10 Feb 2020 11:20:35 1,210 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Primal - season 1

Everyone knows the best episodes of Samurai Jack were the ones with little to no dialogue, so this takes that conceit and moves it into prehistoric times in a caveman & dino buddy story with blood and gore by the bucketload.

It's still got the stylised joy of Samurai Jack, but there is a lot of bearing teeth and roaring. Too much, really. Like you actually get bored of lingering shots of various creatures opening their mouths as far as they can and bellowing.

Still, it's five episodes long and fairly affecting. It's good enough, but not on a par with Samurai Jack or some of the better episodes of Clone Wars.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 10 Feb 2020 11:39:57 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Vikings (Season 6)

A bit of a rocky start, but manages to pull it together by the end. Not the strongest season, although it's still one of my favourite current shows. To be honest I didn't think it would survive Ragnor's death, but it still continues to entertain.

Although when I go I hope that I get a send off like Lagatha's - probably the most memorable episode of the season.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 10 Feb 2020 15:59:01 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Code (S1)

Quite a tight Australian political drama that progresses well, with some nice layers, but a little obvious in places.

7/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Feb 2020 23:24:41 13,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seinfeld season 2

The gears are clicking, Jason Alexander is gaining traction, the narcissism is bleeding through. Itís very quickly coming into its own.

8.9/10
  • sirtacos 11 Feb 2020 02:12:20 8,244 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @sirtacos What keeps me coming back is that despite the fact that they are awful cunts, you can't help but like them (the central characters anyway). Even after so many repeated viewings, it's still utterly compelling. I've just got to Pine Barrens again. Best. Episode. Evar

Edit: doh, brain fart there!
    Pine Barrens is my favourite too. Oh what the hell, looks like I'm going to have to force the ms to watch the whole series from the beginning :D
  • Dougs 11 Feb 2020 07:54:22 94,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Titans S2. 7.5/10. Does get a bit Arrowverse in the middle but I thought it pulled it around at the end quite nicely. Not sure where they go from here though, a baddie of the week series will get full quite quickly imo.
  • Blakester 11 Feb 2020 12:54:28 5,002 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Ray Donovan s7 - 8/10

Very consistent show for me always delivering an 8/10. Good acting with good characters and drama. It's a real shame it's now cancelled so we won't get the final season.

If you're a fan of the show and haven't watched this season, don't. It will leave you extremely frustrated.
    I've stuck with this show even though it's been on the slide since season 3. I think the combo of Liev Shreiber and Jon Voight has just about justified the time investment, but it's now so far off the premise of the original concept that it might as well be a completely different show. Half the character are an utter waste of time (Daryl and Bunchy - I'm looking at you) and the body count would put Commando to shame.

Having finished season 7, and then learning that it's not been renewed, my reaction was "meh" which is pretty much everything you need to know.

Season 7 - 5/10, the entire run a generous 6/10.
  • TechnoHippy 11 Feb 2020 16:38:54 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Code (S2)

The same structure as the first series, with a different conspiracy. The formula works reasonably well, but the hacker's character is strained quite a bit. Still an interesting watch though.

6/10
  • Nanocrystal 11 Feb 2020 21:56:59 2,133 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Ray Donovan s7 - 8/10

Very consistent show for me always delivering an 8/10. Good acting with good characters and drama. It's a real shame it's now cancelled so we won't get the final season.

If you're a fan of the show and haven't watched this season, don't. It will leave you extremely frustrated.
    I've stuck with this show even though it's been on the slide since season 3. I think the combo of Liev Shreiber and Jon Voight has just about justified the time investment, but it's now so far off the premise of the original concept that it might as well be a completely different show. Half the character are an utter waste of time (Daryl and Bunchy - I'm looking at you) and the body count would put Commando to shame.

Having finished season 7, and then learning that it's not been renewed, my reaction was "meh" which is pretty much everything you need to know.

Season 7 - 5/10, the entire run a generous 6/10.
    Stopped watching this after the season where Ray's wife dies of cancer off screen and it was all told in flashbacks for some reason. Truly abysmal writing. Was pretty great up to that point.
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Feb 2020 05:18:31 26,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @IRWATWO

Oh Yeah 👌👍
  • sirtacos 12 Feb 2020 08:06:38 8,244 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fleabag S1

Protagonist is still a horrible cunt, but the last 2 episodes make her much more sympathetic (despite the not entirely unexpected big finale reveal). Some of that is due to the evil stepmother who bullies and completely outcunts the protagonist.

Her relationship with her sister is by far the most touching thing about the series and I cried a bit. A lot.

Also, Hugh Dennis. He's very good, as always.

WTF, THERE'S A SEASON 2 ALREADY!!!!!

!!!!!!

YAY

Edit: 9/10. 10/10? 9.5/10.

Edited by sirtacos at 08:10:02 12-02-2020
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2020 08:15:41 94,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    S2 is even better. The first episode is one of the best I've ever seen. Saw the theatre show last year too, just brilliant.
  • sirtacos 12 Feb 2020 08:19:30 8,244 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    S2 is even better. The first episode is one of the best I've ever seen. Saw the theatre show last year too, just brilliant.
    That makes me so happy :D
  • TechnoHippy 12 Feb 2020 17:55:40 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Forest

That was rather splendid. A French murder mystery with the required complexity, and more than a dash of oddness. The only off note for me was how cavalier they were with evidence and allowing random strangers to wander through crime scenes. Other than that I was enthralled all the way through.

8/10
  • cov 13 Feb 2020 15:12:33 2,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I liked the forest too

Castle rock s2. Sort of standalone but then interweaves a little with S1. Even better actually - mixes the supernatural element with quite hard hittong personal stories against a great stephen king world really well. Like s1 fantastic cast and acting again.. partixularly the actress playing a young annie wilkes (misery). Tim Robbins the main name this time (Sissy Spacek s1) 9/10

Still dont know how this seems to have flown so much under the radar, possibly because it is hulu and not on any major streaming services.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Feb 2020 15:52:30 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I keep seeing ads for Castle Rock, and it does look interesting, but I already have enough streaming subscriptions :-(
  • Dougs 13 Feb 2020 22:55:12 94,678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Good Place S4. 8.5/10. I always know I've enjoyed a series when I am sad it ends. The last few episodes are excellent, really nicely handled and posed some interesting questions. It had its ups and downs but overall it was quality and the pay off was well worth it.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Feb 2020 15:50:36 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cobra

An interesting scenario, although some of it stretches credulity a bit. It's fairly well put together though and I did enjoy it.

6/10
  • Vortex808 15 Feb 2020 17:11:32 13,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    Snowfall series 1 8/10

Really, really good telly, thanks to all who recommended it.
    Just watched the pilot for this, and aye, i think I'm going to be watching the rest of this for a while too.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Feb 2020 22:43:23 26,050 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Vortex808
    About bloody time! I have been championing this series since 2017,where have you all been. ;)

Luckily you have 3seasons/30 episodes to enjoy. I feckin love it mate.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2020 12:00:47 13,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sex Education series 2

The whole timeless transatlantic Glee but in Wales vibe didnít fit as well with me this time around. Maybe I just wasnít in the mood but it gives everything an artificial sheen that keeps any emotional content at arms length.

7/10
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Feb 2020 15:10:52 976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Detectorists

Probably my favourite ever comedy. Something about it just hit me and its perfect.

Sad that it's over but happy it went out without a single duff note.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2020 15:38:58 13,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey I think I prefer it when a show knows when itís done and we get a shorter perfect run. Dectoristists timed it perfectly.

Iím crossing everything for the new series of This Country when it has/had the potential to do the same.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.