Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 261

• simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Feb 2020 23:39:29 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Giri / Haji

First 4 episodes were great then it went to shit, script became soap opera-ish with ridiculous coincidences again and again then they tried to add a few pretentious touches which didn't work at all with such an unconvincing storyline, almost all the characters were fucking idiots as well, so much potential but ultimately disappointing.
    Solid cast of good actors as well.
    It seems to be well-rated critically but I don't understand why, it's hugely flawed.
    What did you think of the ballet on the roof top?
  • Mola_Ram 20 Feb 2020 05:54:12 23,705 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Giri / Haji

First 4 episodes were great then it went to shit, script became soap opera-ish with ridiculous coincidences again and again then they tried to add a few pretentious touches which didn't work at all with such an unconvincing storyline, almost all the characters were fucking idiots as well, so much potential but ultimately disappointing.
    It seems to be well-rated critically but I don't understand why, it's hugely flawed.
    I wouldn't have minded that bit if it had been in a different series. It really didn't fit in this one, like they gave direction of that episode over to a 1st-year arts student.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2020 07:00:24 28,821 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Giri / Haji

Totally out of place and ridiculous, didn’t work at all. One of the “pretentious touches “ that I was referring to.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2020 10:09:50 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear is the fourth episode the one with the massive shoot out between the rival gangs because that felt a lot like it should have been the end of a first series and everything after that like a second season or sequel.

I really enjoyed it - Will’s performance in particular - but I can see it being the kind of drama that falls apart if you think about any specific plot element too long.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2020 12:52:28 28,821 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear is the fourth episode the one with the massive shoot out between the rival gangs because that felt a lot like it should have been the end of a first series and everything after that like a second season or sequel.

I really enjoyed it - Will’s performance in particular - but I can see it being the kind of drama that falls apart if you think about any specific plot element too long.
    Yep it was, up to that it was great.
    Then, Taki was out partying in London and just happened to be partying next to where her dad and Uncle were in a shoot out, afterwards she manages to immediately find her injured Uncle with no-one else around in the centre of London, after that Ian came to speak to Sarah during the day when she would obviously be at work at the exact same moment when Yuto comes down the stairs and is visible.
    Oh and Donna shot Vickers dead, his wife comes back from her night at a musical and picks up the gun like a trained police officer, pumping bullets into Donna like a pro,
    with that kind of stuff it lost all credibility for me.
    Shame with such a great cast, ultimately a series that thinks it’s clever but isn’t.

Most of the characters were idiots though I did like Rodney and Sarah was pretty adorable.
  • Rhaegyr 20 Feb 2020 12:56:40 5,122 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Twin Peaks: The Return

Difficult, obtuse, surreal, stilted, incredible and practically indescribable.

10/10
  • JoeBlade 20 Feb 2020 13:09:10 4,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Twin Peaks: The Return

Difficult, obtuse, surreal, stilted, incredible and practically indescribable.

10/10
    I really need to see this, I'm a huge fan of the original series and most of Lynch's output in fact.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2020 13:10:38 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Rodney was my favourite. I couldn’t remember his name though, Will Sharpe played him.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2020 14:25:31 28,821 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Rodney was my favourite. I couldn’t remember his name though, Will Sharpe played him.
    Yeah, he seems like a good actor, need to look for him in other stuff.
    My other half was on imdb at the end as usual and said he's done plenty of other stuff, directing etc.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2020 14:43:35 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Flowers was excellent if weird bleak surreal comedy sounds appealing to you. He wrote that and is in it too
  • Rodney 20 Feb 2020 20:11:19 4,397 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just watched Fleabad, and went through both series over the weekend.

I had no idea what it was about going in, but I was vaguely aware it had won some awards.

Loved it. Works really well as both a drama and comedy. The two sisters are played brilliantly, and Olivia Colman's character is hilarious. Favourite bit being when she screams "what a cunt" when the priest leaves.

I think it might be my favourite UK comedy show since the office and peep show..
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2020 20:28:24 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Stranger

Complex, convoluted and totally dumb Netflix thriller starring Giles from Buffy, Dennis Pennis, Jennifer Saunders and a lot of ‘that one from thingy’ actors.

As long as you don’t stop to try and think about why anyone is doing anything or how they’re connected then the constant twists have the momentum to pull you through but man, it’s stupid one you try and put it together.

Better than the other Harlan Coben thriller Netflix adapted Safe but does suffer from a weird sense that most of what happens would’ve made more sense in an American setting.

7/10

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 20:28:54 20-02-2020
  • Kay 21 Feb 2020 17:32:22 20,565 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Man Like Mobeen - seasons 1 & 2

No-one else watching this? It's pretty hilarious with the odd dramatic moment here and there. Guz Khan is a genuine comedic talent.
  • Jono62 21 Feb 2020 17:34:21 25,056 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Man Like Mobeen - seasons 1 & 2

No-one else watching this? It's pretty hilarious with the odd dramatic moment here and there. Guz Khan is a genuine comedic talent.
    I watched it on Netflix. It's decent. The guy who hates everything is very funny. 8/10
  • Kay 21 Feb 2020 17:37:49 20,565 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The deadpan uncle? Yeah, his delivery is great.

Season 3's on iPlayer - only seen the first episode, but it looks it will step up the drama a notch.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Feb 2020 18:54:32 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you like the Uncle he’s Joe Lycett’s sidekick on Got Your Back on Channel 4 being very similar
  • Grim 21 Feb 2020 19:50:37 97 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Chernobyl - Superb and chilling.
  • yegon 21 Feb 2020 19:55:13 6,498 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Get it.
    Get the rhythm.
    Get the rhythm.
    There we go.
    There we fucking go.

I’m talking about Perpetual Grace LTD if it wasn’t so bleeding obvious. GREAT show, feels like a sister piece to Patriot, has some of the same cast, similar unusual plotting.

Here’s Ben Kingsley!

https://youtu.be/TOB-bA7_Frc

Edited by yegon at 19:44:01 22-02-2020
  • Vortex808 22 Feb 2020 00:41:22 13,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Snowfall season 1.

Enjoyed it. Thanks to all who recommended it.

On to S2!
  • JoelStinty 23 Feb 2020 10:40:59 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Disenchantment S2

Good. It occurred to me lying in bed that the show had started to exist in my conscience in the same way that Simpsons and Futurama had. Teabeanie, Lucy and Elfo can stand alongside the likes of Bender, Homer, Fry etc. Which is some doing to be honest.

The show has more of a central through line and story this season that works in its favour, theres not as much pressure for it to be funny (which it is) but allows the characters and world to flourish. Maybe an episode or two more than it needed to be, but everything comes full circle in the last episode. Good fun.

4/5
  • JoelStinty 23 Feb 2020 10:41:09 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Disenchantment S2

Good. It occurred to me lying in bed that the show had started to exist in my conscience in the same way that Simpsons and Futurama had. Teabeanie, Lucy and Elfo can stand alongside the likes of Bender, Homer, Fry etc. Which is some doing to be honest.

The show has more of a central through line and story this season that works in its favour, theres not as much pressure for it to be funny (which it is) but allows the characters and world to flourish. Maybe an episode or two more than it needed to be, but everything comes full circle in the last episode. Good fun.

4/5
  • Anthony_UK 23 Feb 2020 23:57:13 3,003 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Black Sails S1 - 8/10

Avoided initially as I assumed that nobody outside of HBO would have the budget to make a pirate show complete with sea battles and do it justice without it looking awful. Thankfully I was totally wrong.

What starts off as an entertaining if slightly by the numbers adventure, slowly appears to be revealing a more with some genuinely surprising twists.

Roll on season 2
  • Dougs 24 Feb 2020 07:17:35 94,084 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's a great series, well worth sticking with.
  • creepiest-lizard 24 Feb 2020 09:21:13 1,340 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Black sails is great and gets better as it goes on.
    Captain Flint is one of my favourite characters in any show ever.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Feb 2020 09:23:14 17,310 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another vote for Black Sails - it's well worth a watch.
  • Fab4 24 Feb 2020 17:05:51 8,921 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I wish I was seeing Black Sails for the first time. A brilliant show.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Feb 2020 19:02:31 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Torchwood series 1

What if John Barrowman had sex with all the monsters not good enough to make it as Tennant era monsters of the week?

Of all the ‘British X-Files’ this looks the most like it was made for CBBC.

6.5/10
  • Reacher 24 Feb 2020 21:33:56 2,984 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just started watching. Black Sails.
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Feb 2020 22:20:09 9,714 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Torchwood series 1

What if John Barrowman had sex with all the monsters not good enough to make it as Tennant era monsters of the week?

Of all the ‘British X-Files’ this looks the most like it was made for CBBC.

6.5/10
    As someone on this esteemed website once quipped, "The aptly named Torchwood makes me want to light my dick on fire before I would ever watching it again"
  • Stuz359 24 Feb 2020 22:24:33 256 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Black Sails is awesome and It just gets better as it goes on. Production values are amazing too. Probably liked it more than GOT.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.