Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 273

• TechnoHippy 26 Apr 2020 17:38:21 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Channel Zero - No-End House

The concept reminded me of Clive Barker's Thief of Always (which is an awesome story), but it didn't grab me as much as the first season did (the two series aren't connected as far as I can tell). It certainly had it's moments, but it repeated itself too much and just dragged certain threads unnecessarily.

6/10
  • Nemesis 26 Apr 2020 21:55:24 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Black Sails

S1 9/10
    S2 9/10
    S3 9/10
    S4 9/10

Prequel to treasure Island, while being losely based around the real life pirates and goings on around that time. Absolute quality, the budget must have been huge for this show, from the sets and sense of place, to the ship battles. But what impressed me more than this was the writing and acting, Flint especially becomes less of a character and more a living breathing person.

If you haven't given it a go, I can't recommend it enough. Fantastic stuff
    I gave it a go and just finished up S1. Takes a while to get going and it didnít click until episode 4-5, but yeeeeah. I really enjoyed it. Thanks!
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 Apr 2020 22:01:25 12,727 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Long John is properly sexual.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Apr 2020 22:02:09 13,529 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is Taboo any good?
  • challenge_hanukkah 26 Apr 2020 22:04:59 12,727 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only with subtitles.
  • Dougs 26 Apr 2020 23:05:10 94,063 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Parks and Rec S4. 9/10. That was emotional.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2020 14:02:44 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Manhunt Unabomber

A compelling story - I don't know how true to the events it is though. I have to say I did feel some sympathy at the way the bomber was broken at the end.

8/10
  • beastmaster 27 Apr 2020 15:10:51 20,679 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Clone Wars - Series 2,3 & 4 - 9/10

They are getting better. Still no sign of any true darkness from Anakin yet. Some duff episodes here and there (ones that focus on cadets or 3PO and R2) and there but not many.

Some (in fact all) of the battle scenes are spectacular. Again, kudos to Disney+ for their HDR magic. There were a few episodes set underwater which had jaw-dropping battle scenes with Admiral Ackbar.

One thing I didn't expect from the series is how brutal and savage it can be at times. People getting lightsaber stabbed and killed all over the pace and they are not afraid to show it.

Edited by beastmaster at 15:11:14 27-04-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Apr 2020 15:15:46 24,907 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not in HDR.
  • beastmaster 27 Apr 2020 15:22:00 20,679 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    It's not in HDR.
    Wow! It certainly looks great on my telly. Even more impressive.

Edit: Would love it if they gave it that treatment.

Edited by beastmaster at 15:25:09 27-04-2020
  • RawShark 29 Apr 2020 13:51:24 1,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Better Call Saul S5

Some of the series' best ever moments for me, and another great baddy in the form of Hector.

It does still have the same problem every prequel has though. We know who makes it into Breaking Bad so there's no sense of jeopardy about their safety. But having said that the series understands this and intentionally toys with the viewer in a few scenes.

9/10
  • JYM60 29 Apr 2020 14:30:28 18,435 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Better Call Saul all seasons

Just burned through the whole thing in a couple of weeks. I am maybe in the minority here, but I prefer it to Breaking Bad. It might be that it includes actually likeable characters who you care about, or just that two of my favourite BB characters are the main ones here. It's also really cool seeing what people from BB were doing before BB. 9/10

Afterlife

Better than S1, more consistently funny imo. Ridiculousness is turned up another notch. Funny new fat lad character, which is apparently a dig at James Corden. 8/10
  • Rum_Monkey 30 Apr 2020 12:44:15 804 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Bosch s6

One of the best 7/10 shows around. It does nothing special or different but it does it well. Some plot points are rushed but more of the same and if you like previous seasons you'll enjoy this one too.
  • Gunzberg 30 Apr 2020 12:57:33 2,796 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JYM60 I too prefer it a gazillion times to Breaking Bad.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Apr 2020 13:02:22 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Criminal Minds (S7)

I'm impressed that they've maintained the variety in the murders (some are a little fanciful), although the teams' chemistry is a little strained, but still watchable.

6/10
  • Dougs 1 May 2020 21:52:03 94,063 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Parks and Recreation lockdown special. 10/10. That was tremendous. Seriously impressive in such a short space of time. Watch it!
  • JoelStinty 1 May 2020 21:59:49 8,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mandolorian

Alright I suppose. I kind of like low key stuff that explores wider universes within franchises but this didnít really do anything for me. Just felt like a few loose sketches thrown together with a good opening and ending. Just that all the stuff in the middle (6eisodes) could have been fitted into one. Having said that episodes are often short and itís Star Wars. Does set up an intriguing second season though.

3/5
  • TechnoHippy 2 May 2020 13:14:10 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mandolorian

I enjoyed this - it has a Lone Cub vibe and probably one of the more interesting Star Wars productions for some time. I'll confess seeing all the stupid memes about the baby Yoda critter predisposed me to dislike it, but it's actually quite well done. A decent balance of cute and little bastard. It also manages a satisfactory ending and an effective set up for the next season.

More please.

8/10
  • Kay 2 May 2020 16:27:12 20,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Parks and Recreation lockdown special. 10/10. That was tremendous. Seriously impressive in such a short space of time. Watch it!
    Where's this available to watch? Although I never did get round to watching the final season.
  • Rum_Monkey 2 May 2020 16:28:32 804 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I've never watched past the first few eps of the last season. Hated the time jump and Edgar they did to Leslie and Ron.
  • RGeefe 2 May 2020 17:24:57 975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ozark S 1+2

1 - Did it when it first came out and it reaaally suffered from being only a few years after Breaking Bad ended. It's definitely an interesting story but ultimately not quite the sum of its parts. I did the whole series when it came out and vaguely forgot most of what happened. Restarted it due to the third series arriving but it definitely ended on a "not sure if this'll get renewed" note.

2 - An improvement, for sure and the characters that were a bit underserved in the first series come more to the fore. Ruth really shines and you absolutely root for her but then it feels like there were contract issues or they wanted to cut costs and they have a cull that kind of comes out of nowhere. You lose a lead antagonist in the FBI agent in a really hollow way, then his killer gets killed in another weirdly dissatisfying way. While the farmer villain is killed - makes sense from a story perspective but his wife doing him in out of some weird pride for wanting a baby? Nonsense

Just started series three and I'm still undecided. There is absolutely loads to like about it but I feel it falls into this kind of void where it's trying not to be Breaking Bad and in trying not to be Breaking Bad, you're almost kind of going "oh yeah like Breaking Bad".

EG -

- the wife literally Breaking Bad and becoming the head of the empire
    - Marty having to ensure he's a valuable asset to his Mexican cartel bosses so they don't kill him
    - the relationship between Marty and Ruth really having shades of Walt/ Jesse

I am invested in it and I do care about the characters, especially Ruth and Wyatt, who are exceptionally well drawn and deserve their own series. But if they announced it was cancelled tomorrow I'd be like "yeah ok". It's just in this very odd place.
  • Dougs 3 May 2020 00:31:49 94,063 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Where's this available to watch? Although I never did get round to watching the final season.
    I watched it through the NBC app with a VPN. Last season is good, some might say a bit unnecessary but still ties things up nicely and well worth a watch
  • RawShark 3 May 2020 10:12:23 1,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gangs of London

Really good. Have to admit I had some trouble keeping up with who everyone was but I found it pretty gripping. Also has some of the best action scenes Iíve seen on TV. Essentially this version of London is like Itchy and Scratchy Land - The Violentist Place on Earth. Looking forward to seeing where a second series will go, although itís going to be an excruciatingly long wait.

9/10
  • Kronos 3 May 2020 11:38:31 773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Better Call Saul S5

Some of the series' best ever moments for me, and another great baddy in the form of Hector.

It does still have the same problem every prequel has though. We know who makes it into Breaking Bad so there's no sense of jeopardy about their safety. But having said that the series understands this and intentionally toys with the viewer in a few scenes.

9/10
    Regarding sense of jeopardy I disagree, I am highly worried whether Jonathan Banks(Mike) is going to be able to make the next series. He is looking pretty ancient.
  • RawShark 3 May 2020 11:47:58 1,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kronos haha - very good point. Get that man self-isolated now.
  • RyanDS 3 May 2020 17:09:27 13,212 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just watched first 2 episodes of carnival row. Thought was great, but am tired of being burnt when these series go nowhere. Should I continue?
  • TechnoHippy 3 May 2020 17:45:28 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Just watched first 2 episodes of carnival row. Thought was great, but am tired of being burnt when these series go nowhere. Should I continue?
    I didn't realise there was a second season - I enjoyed the first.

Bah - misread your post!

Edited by TechnoHippy at 17:45:57 03-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 3 May 2020 20:11:48 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Criminal Minds (S9)

I'm not a fan of the new member of the team, but I wasn't a huge fan of the one she replaced, so no big deal. Some fun murders, but probably a weaker finale than in previous seasons. Still compelling viewing though.

6/10
  • Jono62 4 May 2020 23:28:05 25,031 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, Nicholas Cage is going to play Joe Exotic in a new TV mini series

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/04/nicolas-cage-joe-exotic-tiger-king-miniseries

https://giphy.com/gifs/online-nicolas-KWzzTbkhDvmQU
  • TechnoHippy 5 May 2020 07:28:48 17,299 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Homeland (S8)

It's never quite regained the highs of the first season, or the original Israeli show of a tense intelligence/political drama. While it has progressively become more Tom Clancy-esque in the storyline it's still been an interesting watch, although how the Hell she manages to keep her job is beyond me :-) One highlight of this latest season was the portrayal and impact of a weak president. Despite its faults, it does remain compelling viewing.

7/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.