Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 274

• RichDC 5 May 2020 07:31:17 8,906 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    So, Nicholas Cage is going to play Joe Exotic in a new TV mini series

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/04/nicolas-cage-joe-exotic-tiger-king-miniseries

https://giphy.com/gifs/online-nicolas-KWzzTbkhDvmQU
    It's the next Breaking Bad, guaranteed.
  • Tomo 5 May 2020 10:16:19 18,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Nest - 5/10

I'm partial to a mid budget BBC drama. You know what you're getting with them: functional filmmaking with the odd attempt at a flourish, overuse of suspenseful music and regular, often jarring twists.

The Nest is on iPlayer so thought I'd give it a whirl. Poor girl agrees to be the surrogate for a rich couple. All is not as it seems... It went from intriguing to okay, before having a stupendously boring final episode. I don't think I've seen a show where so many characters are so dislikeable. Maybe one of the social workers wasn't a complete arsehole. A last act bloodbath would've been very satisfying but alas.
  • Globalmeltdown 5 May 2020 10:20:15 823 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Westworld season 3
    8/10
    Some truly wonderful episodes but didnít like the season finale very much.
  • nickthegun 5 May 2020 10:21:07 82,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Manifest S2 - Same as S1, absolutely nothing happens. Why am I watching this? Why will I watch S3?

5/10
  • Nanocrystal 5 May 2020 10:42:57 2,204 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bojack Horseman S2 - 10/10
    Wow this was great. Almost abandoned it half way into season 1 but it started to gain momentum at that point and in season 2 it really hit its stride. Funny, dark, heartfelt, and full of animal-based puns. Can't wait to watch the rest.
  • RawShark 5 May 2020 10:47:51 1,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Nanocrystal you are in for such a treat. Itís possibly my favourite series of all time. And the ending for season 2 was just wow.
  • Blakester 5 May 2020 11:35:02 5,047 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Mandalorian

A real shit sandwich. Strong opening and finish, but the middle episodes look cheap and lack quality, especially the village and prison break ones which seem lifted from rejected A-team scripts.

The finale is fantastic though.

8/10
  • Saul_Iscariot 6 May 2020 20:24:12 3,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Misfits -Series 1- I had missed out on this when it first aired owing to the fact that I worked nights and was recording two other shows at the time. I tried watching it on my PC but there was five to eight minutes before the show started and it would always crash as the ads finished, and restarting it meant you had to watch the ads again. There was only so many times I could watch an ad for Koppaberg cider before giving up.

But E4 was advertising it, so I watched the first episode and was completely hooked. Normally I would not binge watch anything, but I went through the series in the first night. Then caned through two and five episodes of series three over the next two nights. There are some great characters, stories, and the music is right up my street as well. The lead, Nathan, was supposed to be a cocky twat, and I really disliked him. So job done, the rest of the cast were all fine. There is a real hint of humour similar to the In Betweeners as the young cast handle getting to grips with being super powered, and there are plenty of ĎWoah.í, moments. It is brilliant.

But it does suffer from everyone in the cast, male and female alike, being very sexual predators and very rapey. That side lets the show down. It would be nice to see people being nice to one another.

But, as with a lot of things of that time, there is a Zombie episode. So I have stopped watching it. I fucking hate Zombies, so fuck that shit.

8.5/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 May 2020 11:42:19 14,579 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Limmyís Homemade Show

Limmy does a short sketch show where he plays all the parts. Watched it twice through now. Fantastic stuff.

9/10
  • Armoured_Bear 7 May 2020 11:57:25 29,022 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fleabag

I initially struggled with the first few episodes, I just didn't get it, irritaing preposterous posh wankers being wankers plus cringe but It gradually clicked and Series 2 was much better with some great performances. S1 didn't really make sense to me without S2.
    I get it now.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 May 2020 11:58:30 29,022 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    Misfits -Series 1- I had missed out on this when it first aired owing to the fact that I worked nights and was recording two other shows at the time. I tried watching it on my PC but there was five to eight minutes before the show started and it would always crash as the ads finished, and restarting it meant you had to watch the ads again. There was only so many times I could watch an ad for Koppaberg cider before giving up.

But E4 was advertising it, so I watched the first episode and was completely hooked. Normally I would not binge watch anything, but I went through the series in the first night. Then caned through two and five episodes of series three over the next two nights. There are some great characters, stories, and the music is right up my street as well. The lead, Nathan, was supposed to be a cocky twat, and I really disliked him. So job done, the rest of the cast were all fine. There is a real hint of humour similar to the In Betweeners as the young cast handle getting to grips with being super powered, and there are plenty of ĎWoah.í, moments. It is brilliant.

But it does suffer from everyone in the cast, male and female alike, being very sexual predators and very rapey. That side lets the show down. It would be nice to see people being nice to one another.

But, as with a lot of things of that time, there is a Zombie episode. So I have stopped watching it. I fucking hate Zombies, so fuck that shit.

8.5/10
    Depite it's flaws I did enjoy Misfits back in the day, especially Ramsay.
  • beastmaster 7 May 2020 12:07:09 21,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Clone Wars Series 7- 8/10 but the last four episodes 10/10

I could quite happily just watch the very last four episodes again and I think I will.

now watching S1 of Rebels. Chopper is brilliant.
  • RawShark 7 May 2020 12:18:12 1,283 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Madalorian

Yeah I enjoyed that. Basically Firefly but in the Star Wars universe. Most importantly it was truthful to the mainline series - even keeping the strong marketability that is the one constant through the films - while selectively dropping all the things that made the worst films a bit shit. Looked good, good cast (Werner fucking Herzog!) and fun characters.

If I have a criticism, itís that they gave baby Yoda the same canned baby noise thatís been used in adverts forever.

Also, and Iím not sure if thereís an answer to this or something I should just forget about, but if the Madalorian creed states that you never reveal your face to anyone, why did Jango and Boba spend most of episode 2 without helmets? But then itís not the first time Stat Wars has failed to get its canon straight.

9/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 May 2020 17:30:39 14,579 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Roaming The Wild

Another BBC Scotland rewatch. Thereís only three episodes but Iíve watch it through six or seven times. Two Scottish blokes go hiking, canoeing and cycling across mostly wild places in the Highlands and north coast. Itís wonderfully relaxing. The narrator had a voice I could listen to forever and the wilderness is beautiful.

10/10
  • TechnoHippy 7 May 2020 18:22:10 17,718 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    8 Days

A German drama about the final days leading up to a meteor hitting the Earth. It follows various threads and is a bit of mixed bag. Some of the characters and threads are more developed than others. It all seems remarkably calm in certain aspects considering what's going on. But overall it's quite compelling.

7/10
  • Saul_Iscariot 7 May 2020 19:43:28 3,790 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RawShark In the Clone Wars cartoon it is said that Jango isnít a Mandalorian, he just acquired the armour some how. There is a lot of contention about whether a Mandalorian is someone born on the planet. In the old expanded universe Someone could become adopted into a clan, something that the TV series has resurrected. If I was a betting man I would say that different tribes and clans have different ways.
  • RGeefe 7 May 2020 19:55:24 1,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fleabag

I initially struggled with the first few episodes, I just didn't get it, irritaing preposterous posh wankers being wankers plus cringe but It gradually clicked and Series 2 was much better with some great performances. S1 didn't really make sense to me without S2.
    I get it now.
    Nothing will get me to like that show. Gave the first couple of eps a go and my overall impression was "East London cunt is a cunt and everyone she knows is a cunt this is not a documentary"
  • RGeefe 7 May 2020 19:56:41 1,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @RawShark In the Clone Wars cartoon it is said that Jango isnít a Mandalorian, he just acquired the armour some how. There is a lot of contention about whether a Mandalorian is someone born on the planet. In the old expanded universe Someone could become adopted into a clan, something that the TV series has resurrected. If I was a betting man I would say that different tribes and clans have different ways.
    This is the way

I saw that stupid meme loop before I saw the show. Forever ruined that scene.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 May 2020 22:38:10 10,585 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Fleabag

I get it now.
    Nothing will get me to like that show. Gave the first couple of eps a go and my overall impression was "East London cunt is a cunt and everyone she knows is a cunt this is not a documentary"
    Kentish Town, no?

Anyway, you're also wrong outside geography; it's the best comedy in years

Edited by fontgeeksogood at 22:38:33 07-05-2020
  • Dougs 7 May 2020 23:16:14 95,420 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    +1

It's absolutely tremendous.
  • Tomo 7 May 2020 23:50:50 18,076 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    + 1 million

It's brilliant. Absolutely lacerates pretty much everything whilst being funny and tender all at the same time.

Kentish Town/Tufnell Park yeah. So NW5, which is kinda north London despite the postcode.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 May 2020 00:01:11 14,579 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fleabag fans should watch Mae Martinís Feel Good on 4OD
  • Dougs 8 May 2020 06:11:22 95,420 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I assume Fleabag fans have watched the live show, now to rent on Amazon for charity? Basically the first series but with a couple of changes. Was lucky enough to see it live last year, seriously impressive.

Will check out Feel Good. Have just started Run, written by Vicky Jones who is PWB's bestie.
  • Jono62 8 May 2020 07:39:30 25,566 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Upload - 8/10

Interesting concept. Its about an afterlife in a computer simulation. Has the usual TV tropes, but the main characters keep it very interesting. Can't say too much without spoiling it. On Amazon Prime.
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 10:25:49 17,718 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Jono62 I managed the first two episodes, and while I liked the idea, it lacked substance - does it get better?
  • Zerobob 8 May 2020 11:01:44 2,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Mandalorian - 8/10

There's a lot to like here. A simple but effective over-arching story that makes sense. Well-crafted episodic stories that make sense. Character motivations and decisions that make sense. A protagonist who's motivations you can understand and relate to.

I didn't think any of these things were possible anymore when it comes to stories set in the Star Wars universe, and I liked it far far more than I expected to.

Only marked it down because I thought it started to fall apart in the final episode, when characters made uncharacteristically poor decisions for the sake of the plot, and "plot armour" suddenly became a thing. Also, things started to get a bit over the top, which was a shame considering how grounded the series had been up until this point, for something set in the Star Wars universe.
  • Jono62 8 May 2020 11:17:40 25,566 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I would say it gets better and as with most things, it ended just as it was establishing itself.
  • MrWonderstuff 8 May 2020 14:26:48 3,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tomo Yea the Fleabag cafe is round the corner from my Mum and where I grew up. The cafe is actually in York Rise which sits between Highgate Road and Dartmouth Park Hill - it's a Turkish Cafe in reality when I last walked passed before the lockdown.
  • TechnoHippy 9 May 2020 12:29:35 17,718 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Taboo

Tom Hardy is usually a decent watch, and he does broody mental case quite well, and the role here is suited for him. The period drama is good, with some twists and turns to keep it interesting. The pacing is a little odd, and a bit slow in places, but not enough to put me off.

8/10
  • JoelStinty 10 May 2020 10:05:15 8,970 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Afterlife S2

Think I preferred the first season. The first four episodes are really good but I felt in the last two episodes Tony character crossed a weird line where he became too narcissistic? Not only is he solving everyone's problems but he starts to use his grief in a way that unsettled me, particularly towards Emma (the nurse). I don't know whether that is a part of the parcel when you are grieving so heavily, and it is something I recognise it as part of depression, but the way it was handled seemed a little odd. I think because we see a lot of this during the first season it seems perhaps, excessive. As a whole though, its good. The side characters are fantastic and get some nice development. Its impressive how Gervais continues to write great side characters they steal the show. Each of the returning characters have satisfying moments on the screen. His conversations with June still being the highlight. There a re couple of good news characters, and a couple that we kind of seen before in his other series, but they're still good fun.

Mostly great, just crossed a weird line (that is probably nothing) that I found odd.
    3.5/5

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.