Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 275

• Rum_Monkey 10 May 2020 13:24:05 607 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The Mandalorian

Very strong first few episodes with a great finale. There's a bit of a lull in the middle but nothing awful. I like the short run time of each episode, it suits the man goes to planet, fucks shit up and then leave style of the show.

Great theme music too.

8/10

Edited by Rum_Monkey at 13:24:15 10-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 10 May 2020 17:51:15 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Criminal Minds (S9)

It's getting a little silly with how the team get personally involved in some of their cases, buy murder hasn't got boring yet, so sticking with it. Hopefully the new annoying woman is leaving.

6/10
  • gooner77 10 May 2020 19:02:30 1,476 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gangs Of London 8/10

Starts off as a standard crime saga with OTT fight scenes tacked on but from Ep4 onwards it really grabbed the attention and developed into a decent thriller but with ludicrous amounts of violence and gore. I found myself binge watching it and there are a few good twists along the way especially in the final episode.

Of the 2 main characters I didn't care much for Sean but Elliotts arc was pretty good.

There's a rather good support cast too (most of which appeared in GoT funnily enough)
  • Anthony_UK 10 May 2020 19:33:50 2,996 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Last Kingdom Season 4 - 7.5/10

Caught me by suprise when it was released a few weeks back. Massive fan of the series too.

Drops the ball a little, felt there was far too much time just travelling along with the various characters separated doing their own thing in order for plot points to happen.

Entertaining and I recommend the show as a whole, but likely the weakest season so far.
  • Vortex808 10 May 2020 22:50:17 13,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spaced series 1 repeated on C4 on Friday.

Watched the last few episodes today.

Still great.
  • jrmat 10 May 2020 23:06:00 196 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Unforgotten

Good solid show. Netflix, old BBC. Investigating cold cases. Nothing super spectacular but well done and watchable. Have watched all three series in the last month. I found the emotion the detectives, particularly the lead, went through unrealistic, and maybe a little formulaic but otherwise a solid show.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 May 2020 23:53:15 13,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mark Kermodeís Secrets of Cinema

Dr K talking about tropes of the biggest genres in the theatres. Lots of nice clips and broadly framed in an essay format rather than packing it with talking heads. Lovely stuff.
  • cowell 12 May 2020 07:01:18 2,150 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Coming to the end of our Sopranos rewatch. Overall still my favourite series of all time. However, i'd forgotten how limp The Final Episodes of season 6 are and given the much debated ending, what leads into that ending makes it more irritating. If this half season had been killer, the response would have been different I think.
  • RyanDS 12 May 2020 20:57:00 13,182 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does it count as a series?

The unbreakable kimmy schmidt

Fucking amazing. Bandersnatch was an interesting experiment but this is unbridled joy. A choose your own adventure which is silly, made me laugh out loud many many times and was just fantastic.

10/10
  • TechnoHippy 13 May 2020 19:36:46 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    How to get away with murder (S1)

It's a compelling watch, but they're all a pack of stupid and utterly vile cunts that I don't think I can stomach another season.

7/10
  • Rum_Monkey 14 May 2020 12:22:32 607 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Better Call Saul s5

Best season yet and everything is starting to lead to BB nicely. BB universe really do great baddies with lalo salamanca a great addition. Kim is probably one of my favourite female characters ever and it's interesting to see the change and outcome.

10/10
  • JYM60 15 May 2020 17:10:44 18,406 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Succession S1 8/10

Thought it was a bit of a slow starter, but really gets going after 3 or 4 episodes. Episodes are really long, often over an hour, but they fly in. A good old fashioned family war, with plenty of funny and cringe.
    Interesting that the creator is also one of the creators of Peep Show. Very different. Though The fiance getting sucked off, then swallowing his own jizz is right out of the Jez/Superhans playbook.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 May 2020 09:27:58 13,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Books S1

Itís dated a lot worse than I thought it would. Jokes are mostly quite light and obvious and the set looks very much like a stagey studio set.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 16 May 2020 13:29:17 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Damages (S1)

An intricate legal thriller with a good cast. Glenn Close is an absolute bitch and great to watch. Ted Danson does a good turn, although I'd have liked to have seen his character a bit more developed. The support was generally good, but I did think the young lawyer was a bit of a weak link, but did enough to carry her part. It does set up the second season well.

8/10
  • yegon 16 May 2020 17:23:00 6,492 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Succession S1 8/10

Thought it was a bit of a slow starter, but really gets going after 3 or 4 episodes. Episodes are really long, often over an hour, but they fly in. A good old fashioned family war, with plenty of funny and cringe.
    Interesting that the creator is also one of the creators of Peep Show. Very different. Though The fiance getting sucked off, then swallowing his own jizz is right out of the Jez/Superhans playbook.
    Itís brilliant, and season 2 doesnít disappoint.
  • BlueandYellow 16 May 2020 17:27:17 3 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True Detective Season 3

Some great acting but felt it dragged at times. Neither this nor season 2 have came close to season 1 for me.

6/10
  • richarddavies 17 May 2020 18:00:52 7,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Community

Never seen it before but I racked through every series on a few weeks. Took pretty much the entire first series for it to click with me, but once it did I loved it. Troy and Abed are an all time classic duo.
    Past few series though just ended up a bit sad. Quite a few members of the main cast leave, but for some reason they decided to drag it out for a few more seasons and it was a mistake.

Overall though an easy 8.
  • Kronos 17 May 2020 18:29:34 767 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Netflix Bordertown (Sorjonen) Series 3. Loved the first two series but found this one a bit slow and boring(in places) and not alot of variety in the stories this time round.

Focus seemed alot more on Sorjonen and his daughter and the rest of the cast didn't seem to get alot to do, particularly Lena.

Feels like this will be the last series as they pretty much wrapped everyones stories up.
    Wonder whether the stuff about the department getting funding was actually referring to the series in some kind of meta way

6/10
  • Anthony_UK 17 May 2020 18:32:10 2,996 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Messiah 8/10

Off the box art on Netflix, I thought it was Alexa Davalos from Man in High Castle again.. and I couldn't deal with her miserable face and monotone acting.

Thankfully it isn't! What it is, is the story of what would happen in modern day times if someone attempted to claim they were the new Messiah. Considering the subject, it's portrayed in a realistic way, from Fox News to other forces at work. Slow paced, maybe too slow for some and I believe it was cancelled after 1 season. That said I enjoyed it and there's enough there (and enough of an ending after one season) for it to be a satisfying watch.
  • TechnoHippy 17 May 2020 18:46:47 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kronos wrote:
    Netflix Bordertown (Sorjonen) Series 3. Loved the first two series but found this one a bit slow and boring(in places) and not alot of variety in the stories this time round.

Focus seemed alot more on Sorjonen and his daughter and the rest of the cast didn't seem to get alot to do, particularly Lena.

Feels like this will be the last series as they pretty much wrapped everyones stories up.
    Wonder whether the stuff about the department getting funding was actually referring to the series in some kind of meta way

6/10
    Same here. I enjoyed the first two seasons, but just couldn't get into the third season.
  • TechnoHippy 17 May 2020 19:41:24 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Salvation (S1)

An Elon Musk wank fantasy when a rich, but bold space entrepreneur swoops in to save the world. All goes well until Tom Clancy parachutes in and spunks military conspiracies everywhere. Despite all that, it's quite compelling.

6/10
  • JonFE 17 May 2020 22:29:49 2,002 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (S1)

Boy, what a ride! I'm not too familiar with Douglas Adams work (read a bit of HHGtG), so came to this without certain expectations and it delivered one of the most crazy TV series I've ever watched. Eccentric characters, thickening plot, charming acting; it was the dog's nuts!!!

Straight off to season 2! Hope the powers that be change their minds and renew it for season 3...

(9/10)
  • RGeefe 17 May 2020 22:40:53 829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dead to Me series 2

A show that genuinely astounds me. It won't be for everyone but it's a farce that tackles some deep themes and is almost soap opera esque in its cliffhangers and tension but then has absolutely heartbreaking moments where Linda Cardellini acts out coping mechanisms for her child abuse.

As tragic as it can be funny. Brilliant stuff. Roll on series 3.
  • chopsen 18 May 2020 08:36:10 20,921 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This thread depresses me. So Messiah and Dirk Gently have both been cancelled?

fucksakes.

btw TV Dirk Gently....has got very little to do with the books.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 May 2020 08:43:24 13,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apart from the name thereís basically nothing of Douglas Adams in the Dirk Gently series.

BBC4 did a version too which had no money but Stephen Mangan was probably closer to Adams Dirk.

Heís basically Tom Bakerís Doctor to begin with in the books - they were repurposes Dr Who ideas originally
  • Lotos8ter 18 May 2020 12:21:40 2,977 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Mandalorian 8/10

Enjoyable enough but I was expecting a Second Coming level that it never hits. Plenty of time for it to get going and the Disney merchandise is going to go into overdrive with it. The end credits art is incredible, I just wanted more.
  • TechnoHippy 19 May 2020 13:53:28 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Salvation (S2)

Well that got ever more mental. I think I just reached a stage of only watching it to see how batshit it got and it did manage to keep ramping it up. And then right at the end it got interesting as well, but alas has been cancelled.

And the blonde's sex kitten smirk for every situation was annoying.

4/10
  • DrStrangelove 19 May 2020 14:28:08 15,091 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Trek: Picard - 7.5/10

I actually didn't care at all about this because I'd lost hope in new Trek entirely, and I expected fan service wank to make it even worse. I would have never watched it.

The reason I did was there were a few rubbish Twitch Prime exclusive items for Borderlands 3 that I just wanted to have for completeness's sake, so I registered for a free one-month Twitch Prime trial. That also comes with Amazon Prime but I didn't care until I recalled 2 weeks later that this includes ST Picard, so I watched it. I'm glad I did.

And I was positively surprised. It's no classic Trek and of course it's fully serialised, but actually... it worked. Mostly. It actually did something worthwhile with this format, as opposed to the disaster that was Discovery.

It had its up and downs, it was best in the first half and kinda went bust towards the end, but overall there was enough to keep me interested and engaged. I watched the entire series in a single setting and was pretty happy with it. I was eager to watch the next episode, as opposed to Discovery which mostly had me eager to reach the end of the current never-ending crap episode.

I find it hard to be overly negative about it, which is a weird feeling. Not sure I can get used to this. The ending was anticlimactic and that whole Elnor or whatever's his name stuff felt really pointless and out of place, but still, overall I did enjoy this.

Some really great moments and I actually cared about some of the characters, although more fleshing out wouldn't have hurt. It also (mostly) does a good job at having shades of grey that actually ring and don't feel forced.

I liked how Picard can be a flawed character who let people down but nonetheless deserves a lot of respect. I felt it does a good job at giving you a personal connection with him. How Agnes committed a horrible crime but you understand why she did it. How the Tal Shiar≤ aren't actually evil, their motivation is actually to save the galaxy. I wish the Romulan chick wasn't so comically sinister, that didn't help.

Also, someone seems to have played Mass Effect. Now I get that the theme of synthetics being the doom of their creators is hardly new in sci-fi (in Mass Effect, that would be the Geth). However the combination of a synthetics ban (an AI ban in ME), the apocalyptic visions from beacons, the impending arrival from synthetic beings from outside the galaxy which would eradicate organics... I find that hard to ignore. Obviously ME did a better job at that, but enough has been said about Mass Effect.

Amazon Prime also has Orville, watching that next.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:45:47 20-05-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.