Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 276

• JoelStinty 20 May 2020 06:34:24 8,970 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Devs

I really enjoyed this. The way Alex Garland is able to articulate his ideas (visually and through the script) is really impressive. There is so much here to enjoy. Intriguing, captivating and thought provoking.

4.5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 06:35:37 20-05-2020
  • Trowel 20 May 2020 07:31:34 23,649 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cuckoo S1 - 8/10

I came to this late so watching the early episodes for the first time, and pleased that it's a sharp sitcom throughout. I didn't know the titular Cuckoo was played by Andy Samberg, which was a little surreal for a BBC comedy, but Greg Davies is brilliant throughout.
  • TechnoHippy 21 May 2020 19:27:06 17,713 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mr Mercedes (S2)

A lot slower paced than the first season, and I felt that it was better for it. The storyline also resonated better as a King story than the manhunt of the first series.

I didn't realise there was a third season - I'm interested to see what it's about considering the ending of the second season.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 21 May 2020 19:40:19 17,713 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ok, the judge at the start is my new favourite person :-)
  • jrmat 21 May 2020 19:43:14 214 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Me and the missus have just started on Life on Mars. Is it any good? First episode seemed pretty decent.
  • MrWonderstuff 21 May 2020 20:35:21 3,326 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Anthony_UK I love The Last Kingdom. Got me checking wiki about the 10th century. Where I lived previously was the final resting place for Athelstan so I was especially engaged with this season.
  • Reacher 21 May 2020 20:54:35 3,008 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jrmat wrote:
    Me and the missus have just started on Life on Mars. Is it any good? First episode seemed pretty decent.
    The concept is good and Gene Hunt is a legendary TV character. I wouldn't bother with Ashes to Ashes unless you want a poorer version of the same.
  • RGeefe 21 May 2020 20:57:42 1,308 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    jrmat wrote:
    The concept is good and Gene Hunt is a legendary TV character. I wouldn't bother with Ashes to Ashes unless you want a poorer version of the same.
    Daniel Mays absolutely makes the third series work though. I'd say do the first and last eps of series one then the first ep of series 3 followed by the last 2-3. I do really like the ending.

I tried rewatching Life on Mars recently. Hadn't aged as well as I'd hoped, sadly.

Edited by RGeefe at 20:58:50 21-05-2020
  • Dougs 21 May 2020 23:27:52 95,419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Mandalorian 8/10. That was excellent, enjoyed that a lot. Great production values, good cast with some good cameos,.and a solid if unspectacular plot. More like this please.
  • Anthony_UK 22 May 2020 02:14:35 3,034 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    @Anthony_UK I love The Last Kingdom. Got me checking wiki about the 10th century. Where I lived previously was the final resting place for Athelstan so I was especially engaged with this season.
    The show had a similar effect on me and made me look into the real history behind it all. I suppose it just helped visualise a time in history that didn't particularly interest me before now. Main negative being the show follows the real history to the point, that Wikipedia spoilt season 4.

Great show though!
  • Rhaegyr 22 May 2020 12:31:56 5,198 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arrested Development - Season 3

What the hell happened? I've been rewatching these as the other half's never seen it. S1 and S2 are absolute gold but the quality feels like it fell off a cliff here.

All character development seemed to be reset, storylines constantly being rehashed and everyone seemed a lot dumber, particularly Michael. Only Gob and Lucille get regular laughs from me; the other characters just spin their wheels. The whole Charlize Theron plot seemed bizarre, too.

The consensus online seems to be the quality crapped out when it came back in S4 and S5 but I really struggled with this season. Never watched S4 and S5 - are they even worse?

5/10

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:32:17 22-05-2020
  • RedPanda87 22 May 2020 13:25:23 2,037 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

What the hell happened? I've been rewatching these as the other half's never seen it. S1 and S2 are absolute gold but the quality feels like it fell off a cliff here.

All character development seemed to be reset, storylines constantly being rehashed and everyone seemed a lot dumber, particularly Michael. Only Gob and Lucille get regular laughs from me; the other characters just spin their wheels. The whole Charlize Theron plot seemed bizarre, too.

The consensus online seems to be the quality crapped out when it came back in S4 and S5 but I really struggled with this season. Never watched S4 and S5 - are they even worse?

5/10
    I thought season 4 was a lot better than the general consensus. The big gap, the general love of the first 3, and a change of style (which I actually found refreshing) probably didn't help. Season 5 is near unwatchable though in my opinion.

I also didn't get on with the remixed version of season 4 - it gets rid of the cleverness of season 4's structure. In doing so it gives you a better mix of the characters, and is more like traditional Arrested Development, but also just highlights the season's weaker writing.

So personally I'd watch the original cut of season 4 if you watch any (which is now hidden in 'trailers and more' on Netflix). But I'm sure most people disagree with most of this, so ymmv.
  • Dougs 22 May 2020 14:06:15 95,419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

5/10
    They learned halfway through that they were being canned so didn't give a fuck, whilst also trying to tie the story off to a degree. I still like it a lot.

S4 was weird and didn't really work, even if I knew why they'd done it like that. Started S5 but don't think I lasted more than 20 mins
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 May 2020 22:49:50 14,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Climbing Blind

BBC4 documentary about a blind man who loves climbing and wants to climb the Old Man of Hoy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jb7t/climbing-blind

9/10
  • Saul_Iscariot 22 May 2020 23:55:28 3,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Morning Show - Apple TV - Just fantastic. A real, gripping drama about a TV show set against the back drop of one of the hosts being fired for sexual misconduct. The cast is stellar, and it just works. 10/10
  • Nanocrystal 23 May 2020 05:59:08 2,204 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Devs - insufferably smug/10

Started pretty well but I grew to hate this more and more with each episode. Had a nugget of an interesting idea at its core but no clue what to do with it. Really dumb, facile and inconsistent in it's explanations of quantum theory and determinism. Constantly established rules for how things should work and then broke them in the next scene. Too many plot holes to list. The ending made no sense at all... there was an event about mid-way through the finale that would have made a fairly fitting and satisfying conclusion but the show dragged on for another half hour of increasingly nonsensical tripe. Could have been a passable movie, maybe, but it was stretched well beyond breaking point to fit eight episodes, mostly by having the characters speak really... fucking... slowly. Clearly thought it was clever and deep but it was quite the opposite, and boring to boot. Avoid.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 May 2020 06:07:36 26,166 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Reacher wrote:
    jrmat wrote:
    Daniel Mays absolutely makes the third series work though. I'd say do the first and last eps of series one then the first ep of series 3 followed by the last 2-3. I do really like the ending.

I tried rewatching Life on Mars recently. Hadn't aged as well as I'd hoped, sadly.
    Seriously!!! Ashes to Ashes is fookin great:
    80's setting.
    Bollyknickers
    80's music
    Bollyknickers
    80's fashion
    Raymond, Shaz and Chris
    The Quattro
    Gene's history/Story
    Bollyknickers.

... Poorer version indeed, not a chance.
  • Dougs 23 May 2020 06:54:15 95,419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I never did finish Ashes to Ashes. Think I only had a couple of episodes to go. But yeah, I enjoyed it. Philip Glenister is aces.
  • TechnoHippy 23 May 2020 16:08:16 17,713 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mr Mercedes (S3)

It splits it's focus from the start, but does eventually come back together. Initially I wasn't happy that they'd focused on one of the weaker characters from the previous seasons, but it did develop in an interesting manner. Old Captain Janeway performed a decent role as a psycho dirty bitch, and the judge was a joy to watch.

8/10
  • DUFFMAN5 23 May 2020 17:50:23 26,166 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Cuckoo S1 - 8/10

I came to this late so watching the early episodes for the first time, and pleased that it's a sharp sitcom throughout. I didn't know the titular Cuckoo was played by Andy Samberg, which was a little surreal for a BBC comedy, but Greg Davies is brilliant throughout.
    On the Greg Davies front Man Down which he writes and stars is fookin ace. Great support cast as well. He even cast Rik Mayall as his dad in the first series.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 May 2020 22:48:21 14,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Mandalorian

I was fully expecting to hate this after all the fanboying itís been getting but it wasnít the show I thought it would be at all. The first episode is a little rough going and I wasnít feeling a Star Wars vibe from it but after that things pick up.

I know it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger and sets up an obvious course for series 2 but I kind of like the idea that they do a completely unrelated story instead. Like these Disney+ series are just snapshots of the universe.

Greatly appreciate that they resisted the usual streaming service bloat too

9/10
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 23 May 2020 22:50:43 26,365 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah it's a really good show. Jon Favreau really knows how to do this shit.
  • Dougs 24 May 2020 08:37:43 95,419 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And some stellar guest directors too.
  • RGeefe 24 May 2020 08:49:26 1,308 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't like it at first but definitely warmed to it. If you see it as a western with lasers it works. That you build a connection with characters which are, really, sketches of characters at times, is impressive.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 May 2020 09:47:40 14,579 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    I didn't like it at first but definitely warmed to it. If you see it as a western with lasers it works. That you build a connection with characters which are, really, sketches of characters at times, is impressive.
    Thereís something very comic booky in the way it does character development and in its episodic structure. Itís essentially all action and plot with little padding
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 10:39:36 17,713 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Homecoming (S2)

It's not as intricate, or as impactful as the first series, but does develop into an interesting investigation and draws into the first season well (eventually). The short episodes keep a decent momentum and the ending provides a suitable, if unexpected conclusion.

7/10
  • Saul_Iscariot 24 May 2020 12:55:28 3,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For All Mankind - Apple TV - Imagine a world where NASA aborted the first moon landing, and the Russians get there first. This spurs on the Americans to step up their space program.

The show is really well cast, shot and produced. But occasionally it starts to drag. The last few episodes are exceptional. I was quite tired as the credits rolled on episode nine but had to carry on watching the final episode, the cliff hanger was that good.

The speculated background events in the world feel so well done that it helps establish some of the characters motivations. Not all the astronauts are the great people that I expected. And there are some great character arcs. I really hope that there is a second series.

When I got the Apple TV subscription with my phone I didnít think Netflix or Prime had anything to worry about, but this, and the Morning Show, indicate that high quality TV could become their hallmark.

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 25 May 2020 15:00:46 17,713 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Der Pass (Pagan's Peak)

A German murder mystery by the same producers who made Dark. The bleak location matches the sombre tone, and the two leads compliment each other well with their different histories and approaches. The story unfolds slowly, but keeps it interesting, and the killer worked well.

8/10
  • Trafford 25 May 2020 15:20:28 8,667 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shameless : Series 1-11. All4
    Never watched this when it ran originally on Channel 4, was too busy having kids and dealing with life myself.
    Have had time recently to catch up and it's been a highly entertaining ride. Despite a handful of daft episodes ( probably Xmas specials) there's top notch acting talent going through situations that veer from grim to hilarious.

The writing is great, monologues that bookend each episode and foul mouthed outbursts.
    Lots of drugs, sex and music.

Frank getting head butted is my favourite punchline in the entire series, and it happens a lot.

Characters come and go from it, the first 3 seasons have an excellent arc, but after that it's
    mostly stories from life on the Chatsworth.

Extra point goes to it being filmed partially in my local precinct in the later series (Sale), must have been right under my nose.

• RGeefe 25 May 2020 15:22:54 1,308 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Trafford I assume more of the Northern Moor/ Wythenshawe end rather than town centre?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.