Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 281

• TechnoHippy 15 Jun 2020 08:05:24 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I liked Penny Dreadful - some good atmosphere, although I'm a fan of the Victorian era setting.
  • RobAnybody 15 Jun 2020 09:46:15 2,144 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love Penny Dreadful - unfortunately it falls apart a bit in season 3 (the final season) but overall it's a fantastic series.

Has anyone tried Penny Dreadful: City of Angels? It's also from John Logan but is set in Los Angeles in 1938 with no recurring characters from the original series despite the re-use of the Penny Dreadful name. I've not seen it, only watched the trailers and some clips, but it doesn't appeal at all. Reviews are mixed and apparently it's best to treat it as its own series and not compare it to the original because it's a very different beast.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Jun 2020 11:10:26 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mayans MC (S2)

I was a big fan of Sons of Anarchy and Mayans expands on the world nicely. It doesn't have quite the same richness of characters, but they do all fit together well. There's enough shenanigans to keep things interesting and it balances the MC and other interests well. The blonde women is a liability though. There's a decent conclusion and keeps things open for another season.

8/10
  • retro74 16 Jun 2020 11:20:47 3,229 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    I really loved Normal People. It was a bit frustrating at times but possibly my show of the year so far overall.

Can't understand either a 2/10 rating or that someone would sit through every episode of a 2/10 show. Even in lockdown.
    If you don't watch the bad programmes you have no point of reference for the good. I watched the whole thing because I'd heard from people in work that it was one of the best series they'd seen and I wanted to see for myself

Same with games, films etc, I've played plenty of terrible games until the very end and I've never switched a movie off half way through no matter how bad
  • TechnoHippy 16 Jun 2020 16:33:21 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Salisbury Poisonings

A BBC mini series looking at the people and events of the Russian nerve agent assassination. I have a loose personal connection with the attacks as my brother was part of the army clean up crew. It's quite a sombre affair and I appreciated that they didn't over dramatise it. I would have liked to have seen more about the investigation into the agents and efforts to capture them, but I guess a lot of that will be kept secret for some time.

7/10
  • cov 16 Jun 2020 16:49:25 2,263 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @retro74

Ditto, tho i had to turn off The Reliant (film on netflix) last night as it was so awful

Edited by cov at 17:17:33 16-06-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Jun 2020 21:33:46 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What We Do In The Shadows - Season 2

Lovely stuff. Lots of Laszlo and Colin Robinson being on top top form, I think Nadia might even have lost her star of the series crown.

The series continues to be better than the movie for me, although it did feel more sitcom-y this time.

Lots of cool references to other horror and vamp lore again.

Wish I had a third season already.

9/10
  • RedPanda87 16 Jun 2020 21:39:07 2,023 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    I really loved Normal People. It was a bit frustrating at times but possibly my show of the year so far overall.

Can't understand either a 2/10 rating or that someone would sit through every episode of a 2/10 show. Even in lockdown.
    If you don't watch the bad programmes you have no point of reference for the good. I watched the whole thing because I'd heard from people in work that it was one of the best series they'd seen and I wanted to see for myself

Same with games, films etc, I've played plenty of terrible games until the very end and I've never switched a movie off half way through no matter how bad
    I don't think you need to finish it to realise it's bad and experience that badness as a point of reference, especially with a show or game. I can appreciate the good just fine without spending numerous hours doing that. But fair enough.

Edited by RedPanda87 at 21:39:35 16-06-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Jun 2020 00:00:24 2,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Salisbury Poisonings 8/10 thought that was pretty good, without googling so trusting my memory and what I've since read of the events I'm pretty sure it was a fairly accurate portrayal of the events as they occurred, how the hell the copper seemed to slip under the radar for a couple of days was staggering! I wasn't bothered about seeing any more of the crime investigation, I would have liked to see more of the testing/forensics side of things however. But fine acting and scrpt and some good likenesses with the real people portrayed who showed their faces at the end, which I thought was a nice touch.
  • TechnoHippy 18 Jun 2020 13:35:23 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Project Blue Book (S1)

I was pleasantly surprised by this, it's not as good as Taken or X-Files, but it's still a good take on the UFO mythology and conspiracy. The take on the conspiracy is quite fascinating and skirts the line of what is actually going on.

7/10
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jun 2020 17:25:55 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Project Blue Book (S2)

They tried to up the stakes a bit with the politics, with mixed results, and involving the wife both felt like missteps. However the core premise remains strong and I enjoyed delving deeper into the investigations the related conspiracies. Annoyingly it finishes strong, but there will be no more seasons - which is a shame. Still I had fun while it lasted.

7/10
  • Trowel 19 Jun 2020 18:40:17 23,406 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cuckoo seasons 2-5 8/10

Absolutely rock solid sitcom, love it. Season 5 slows down a little with Andie MacDowell being shoehorned in and a weird direction for Rachel, but counters it with Ken's development.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Jun 2020 20:37:04 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Sinner (S3)

Not quite as good as the previous seasons. Rather than revealing a mystery this one is more an exploration of various characters' psyches. And it does a decent job, but they're a bit unlikeable, or stupid and that tarnishes it all a bit. Still worth a watch though.

7/10
  • Dougs 21 Jun 2020 13:35:48 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Staged. 10/10. Michael Sheen and David Tennant knock it out of the park with 6 15-20 min episodes of rehearsing for a play in lockdown. Best comedy I've seen since Fleabag. Really, really well.done, esp in the time they've had.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jun 2020 20:30:15 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cardinal (S1)

A Canadian murder mystery that was a chance find on iPlayer. I do like the lead (he was good in thee 4400 as well). The investigation is slow and steady and for a change without political intrigue, although the detective's past does impinge on the current events. A solid thriller.

7/10
  • Anthony_UK 21 Jun 2020 21:32:48 3,004 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Salvation

S1 - 5
    S2 - 7

The plot which includes everything from the Chelyabinsk meteor to military conspiracies, to the anoymous hacker group and Elon Musk in all but name... none of it is offensively bad, its watchable even, its just all so inoffensive.

Everyone's pretty, scientists look suitably boffiny and scary military types look suitably threatening.. but that naturally comes with people making ridiculous decisions for reasons that make zero logic.

But.. I enjoyed it, the back end of season 2 ramped up the stakes and the actors actually looked like they gave a shit... and ended on a genuinely surprising cliffhanger.

... then it was cancelled.

Could be worth a watch on a rainy weekend dependant on your tollorance for gigantic plot holes.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 21:39:58 21-06-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jun 2020 22:33:31 28,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watchmen

Wow, that was a bit special. Wonderfully written, engrossing, thought provoking and very relevant.

One small criticism of the finale. What was the point of Wade?

9.5/10
  • TechnoHippy 22 Jun 2020 20:11:34 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cardinal (S2)

The mystery is a bit more adventerous this time, with more moving parts, and it all fits together well. It maintains the slow and steady pace that allows you to enjoy it all coming together. The ending was a bit of a blow :-(

7/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jun 2020 00:34:48 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Staged

Michael Sheen and David Tennant essentially delivering a locked down version of The Trip playing semi-fictional versions of themselves as they try to rehearse a play via Zoom. Very funny, both delivering huge and a small supporting cast adding some nice colour to things.

All six episodes on iPlayer now and they’re only about 15 minutes each.

9/10
  • Dougs 23 Jun 2020 05:45:36 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hurrah, another fan. Thought it was tremendous. The editing is brilliant, to get comic timing like that, in that format, is seriously impressive.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jun 2020 08:24:03 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dougs Tennant and Sheen have incredible chemistry especially considering they weren’t even in the same country.

And Sheen looks completely manic with his Good Fight hair and beard
  • Dougs 23 Jun 2020 09:39:57 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sheen is awesome. I did spend longer than I should worrying that David Tennant had lost a bit too much weight too.

This is a nice thread on it, from the Director's sister

https://twitter.com/lucyeatonmess/status/1271121778161614849

Edited by Dougs at 09:41:57 23-06-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jun 2020 09:41:11 13,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tennant was very thin looking
  • Chug666 23 Jun 2020 09:42:25 702 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I've just finished this and entirely agree with your review. It's good comfort food telly (if you take comfort from murderous scumbag bikers).
  • TechnoHippy 23 Jun 2020 11:00:28 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Chug666 wrote:
    @TechnoHippy I've just finished this and entirely agree with your review. It's good comfort food telly (if you take comfort from murderous scumbag bikers).
    Heh - biker gangs do tend to make for some fun TV :-)
  • TechnoHippy 23 Jun 2020 20:10:16 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cardinal (S3)

It does a good job of maintaining the quality, and not unexpectedly it focuses more on the personal side of things and so overshadowing the main investigation a bit. I'm still enjoying the chilled pace which accentuates some of the brutality.

7/10
  • RGeefe 23 Jun 2020 20:19:55 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sinner (series 3)

Went into this partly with eyes open. I can see what they were trying to do but after the first two series, particularly the second which was ridiculously good, this one really doesn't stack up.

As others have said - it's a character study, which is fine if your characters have some likeable qualities but the several we focus on are all flawed and not in the good sense.

Fundamentally, it's a detective show with no mystery. The main villain/ suspect is also a complete knob. Again- not in the good sense.

Could have not watched it.

5/10 - mostly for Bill Pullman
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jun 2020 20:12:28 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cardinal (S4)

Sadly there are no more to watch :-( The quality remained constant throughout, abd there was a bit more drama in the last season. The investigation also had a few more twists and turns than the previous ones. A solid watch.

7/10
  • Kay 25 Jun 2020 17:46:14 20,565 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet (S1)

New show by the some of the main writers of It's Always Sunny and Community, about a videogame studio behind the world's most popular (fictional) MMO. Seems to have gone under the radar a bit (probably due to the deliberately generic title, and the fact it's only on Apple TV), but as you'd expect from the writing and acting talent behind the show, it's very good.

Sure, the characters are cliched and the storylines are quite predictable, mostly pop culture stuff and workplace issues in the internet streaming age, but it's very witty with it and great fun. It's also not averse to surprising you when things get too predictable - one episode in particular stands out - and there's also a quarantine episode after the main season ends that was really well done.

8/10
  • JYM60 26 Jun 2020 07:18:27 18,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spartacus: Blood and Sand

From the first episode I thought it was a pile of Green screen, slo-mo, CGI pish. But actually (it is those things) I got to really love it. Great characters, loads of action, a massive dollop of gore and sex if you're ok with that.

8/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.