Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 283

• TechnoHippy 29 Jun 2020 13:11:53 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dark (S3)

Very bleak, and as intricate as the previous seasons, and it all comes together in a satisfactory conclusion.

8/10
  • beastmaster 29 Jun 2020 14:58:50 20,704 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Altered Carbon Series 2 - 5/10

It's watchable and there are some good plot elements but it's a huge drop-off in terms of quality from the original series. I remember all three of Richard Morgan books being excellent but that might not be the case.

There's an animated version which people here have said is poor but I'll probably still watch it out of curiosity. Maybe.

Started series 1 of The Sinner. Good stuff.

Edited by beastmaster at 14:59:01 29-06-2020
  • TechnoHippy 29 Jun 2020 18:27:00 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I preferred the second season to the second book :-) The anime is ok, but suffers from the usual anime issues, but to be fair I'm not a big fan of the style.
  • RGeefe 29 Jun 2020 23:39:13 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Godless (2017)

Been on my list for a while, purely on the strength of Jeff Daniels, who's usually really sensible at choosing worthwhile TV scripts. I was expecting a half decent Western mini series but nothing more.

Blimey. Did a lot of things I did not expect and played a lot with the genre by including a lot of things your old John Wayne shit wouldn't - illiteracy, female cowboys (cowpeople?) and post-civil war treatment of freed slaves.

It's not perfect and the episodes are LONG. Do it over a week. What's great is half the main cast are played by Brits.

If you like modern Westerns, it's really worth a watch and catches you off guard. Might be a bit slow for some but the pay offs are all there.

8/10
  • oldskooldeano 29 Jun 2020 23:44:47 3,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @beastmaster Do series 1 of the Sinner, and series 2, but as others have said you absolutely can skip season 3. Such a shame.
  • freddymercurystwin 30 Jun 2020 00:42:20 2,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just started The Sinner tonight, good so far.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jun 2020 13:01:04 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 and Part 2 (on Crunchyroll)

Most people would say that the first couple of JoJo arcs are more like a prototype for the super-stylish, super-flamboyant mastery of later stories. And they're not completely wrong! They're basically vampire stories, cribbing heavily from Fist of the North Star. The series doesn't quite have its own identity yet.

But this anime is soooooooo damn good all the same. The animation is sublime, all the voice acting is turned up to 11, and there are still plenty of the ridiculous fights and poses that the series is famous for.

That and some great, great characters. Part 1 has DIO, the villain with so much ham that even his name must be capitalised. The villains of Part 2 aren't quite as cool, but the heroes do get an assist from a friendly Nazi SS officer with robot arms. He's worth the price of entry alone.

A whole lot of love has been put into every part of this. It gets all of the thumbs up from me.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jun 2020 13:01:22 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and the opening and ending themes fucking rule. I was PUMPED ALL THE WAY UP.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Jun 2020 15:03:39 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maniac

Beautiful. More than a bit mental. Emotional. Wonderful.

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 1 Jul 2020 10:38:13 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Injustice

A two part legal thriller centred around a lawyer with a troubled past and a murder. It's quite well put together, and even though it's a bit predictable it does offer a few surprises along the way.

6/10
  • StixxUK 1 Jul 2020 18:26:10 8,323 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @RGeefe Godless was fantastic! Might have to watch it again.
  • Dougs 1 Jul 2020 18:59:39 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Had forgotten all about Godless. That was awesome. Will have to check if it's in 4k, looked stunning at 1080
  • chopsen 2 Jul 2020 12:47:05 20,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So finished Dark S3 the other day.

It does sort of tie things up even if there is a blatant deus ex machina in introducing the 3rd world . There is also *way* too much exposition about the bullshit science of all the time-travel. It spend too much time trying to explain everything.

It also suffers under the weight of it's own complexity. Unless you have what happened in the previous episodes very fresh in your mind, you're probably going to be wondering wtf is going on a lot of the time.

With all that going on, there isn't much room to develop any half decent plot lines or have the cast of characters actually do anything of any significance.

Kind of reminded me of the last season of Lost. With a protracted drama based on mystery, even though the need to get an answer is a compelling reason to continue watching, when you actually get the answer it seems to diminish the experience as a whole. Like being shown how a magic trick is done or have a joke explained to you.

Edited by chopsen at 12:47:38 02-07-2020
  • beastmaster 3 Jul 2020 16:29:00 20,704 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Sinner S1 - 8.5/10

Great mystery. Gripping thriller.

Watching S2 now. It's a lot more creepy and sinister. Kind of reminds me of Midsommar, which is a good thing.
  • RGeefe 3 Jul 2020 17:23:13 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just don't do series 3.
  • freddymercurystwin 3 Jul 2020 19:13:55 2,128 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @beastmaster we've started watching this, please say it's more than just some girl some guys hooked on drugs?
  • leekuti 3 Jul 2020 19:36:08 14 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Save Me

The whole cast are absolutely spot on in this raw British drama

Must see!
  • beastmaster 3 Jul 2020 19:56:50 20,704 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    @beastmaster we've started watching this, please say it's more than just some girl some guys hooked on drugs?
    It's more than just some girl some guys hooked on drugs. There, happy? :-)
  • TechnoHippy 3 Jul 2020 21:25:45 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Godless

After seeing it mentioned here I thought I'd give it a try and it's a damn fine western. It is a slow burner, but enough to let everything breathe and with some strong characters and performances. It builds nicely to an inevitable conclusion, but with some nice surprises along the way.

8/10
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Jul 2020 21:34:37 25,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @TechnoHippy
    Loved it. Lady Crawley is class in it.
  • Dougs 3 Jul 2020 23:39:17 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's a top show that deserves greater billing imo.
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2020 01:05:25 17,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Just don't do series 3.
    Yeah, we've started watching S3. It's pretty shit so far. 4 or so episodes in and it's barely gone anywhere. It's just become a generic detective/mystery show. The first series felt carefully written and planned - it was shocking and fantastic. 2nd was okay but I admit I can't remember it much. Third is terribly written in places and the supporting cast is not good. Pullman isn't good enough to keep it afloat by himself. I hope it picks up, but not sure I'll be tuning in for S4 if it happens.
  • jimnastics 4 Jul 2020 10:52:22 1,825 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After some recommendations from you guys n gals! We've done a load of detective / crime series recently, now we're looking for a sci-fi / thriller series to watch to break it up a bit, we've really enjoyed these in the past:

Lost
    Stranger Things
    Fortitude
    Westworld (S1...)
    The leftovers
    The Boys
    The Expanse
    The Mandalorian

Has anyone watched anything awesome recently that would be in the same bracket as those?
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jul 2020 10:53:26 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zero Zero Zero (it's on Amazon, I think)

A limited series about the logistics of transporting a massive shipment of cocaine from Mexico to Italy. It follows a few plot threads that involve Mexican drug lords, international shipping companies, and the Mafia.

Gabriel Byrne is the only well-known actor in it, but everyone does a good job. The narrative is really twisty, and there's a fantastic soundtrack from Mogwai.

Initially I thought it would be a limited series, but it's been renewed for season 2. So yeah, watch it, it's brilliant.

9/10

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:26:53 04-07-2020
  • chopsen 4 Jul 2020 11:02:42 20,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @jimnastics

Fringe is a good romp if you've somehow missed that.

Battlestar Galactica for some pew pew sci fi.
  • Nanocrystal 4 Jul 2020 11:24:24 2,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @jimnastics Watchmen was ace.
  • Rum_Monkey 4 Jul 2020 11:34:42 829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Fringe is underrated, once it gets past monster of the week and into its stride its great.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jul 2020 11:35:36 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fringe > X-Files

There, I said it.
  • Rum_Monkey 4 Jul 2020 11:37:26 829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm with you.
  • Nexus_6 4 Jul 2020 12:12:51 4,946 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Star Wars Resistance 8/10
    I have been banging on about this to anyone that will listen, which in lockdown isnít many.
    Itís obviously made for a younger audience but even so, itís a fantastic series. The production values alone make it look outstanding and help smooth over the bumps of the story (for an adult) when it gets a bit slapstick or moral lesson territory.
    It starts out small, with the main character getting recruited as a resistance spy on the Colossus, a fantastic setting for pretty much the rest of the series. This is a huge Galactic Empire era facility that sits on an ocean planet. Run by an ex imperial officer and protected by The Aces, a bunch of elite fighters and racers.
    The First Order gradually weasel their way in to the station and towards the finale it ties in with the opening of Starkiller base in Force Awakens

I canít understand the hate this gets from reviewers on line. Just a shame itís been cancelled after itís second series was announced. Itís in Disney+ so check it out if you can.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.