Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 284

• jrmat 4 Jul 2020 12:36:59 204 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Fringe is underrated, once it gets past monster of the week and into its stride its great.
    That's most of the first series though. But is good after that.
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 12:59:15 5,089 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @jimnastics If you enjoyed Lost and Stranger Things I'd recommend Dark and Maniac on Netflix. Altered Carbon is also a good shout on that platform.

Battlestar Galactica is seconded from me for sure if you haven't seen that yet.
  • Dougs 4 Jul 2020 13:08:32 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Better Call Saul S5- 7/10. The closer it gets to BB the less engaged I am. It still looks great, with good performances but I know where it end. Still better than a lot out there though

Edited by Dougs at 13:08:44 04-07-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 4 Jul 2020 13:44:58 965 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'm surprised at that, thought it was by far the best season yet. And I've loved each one so far.
  • Dougs 4 Jul 2020 14:12:01 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A lot of it is that I'm not that interested in the backstory to the Salamanca's and Fring. Lala is a great character, as is Gustavo but i don't feel imissing out if I don't know the ins and outs of it all.
  • jimnastics 4 Jul 2020 17:21:32 1,841 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the recommendations folks, much appreciated. Looks like a solid list to work through!

Fringe
    Battlestar Galactica
    Watchmen
    Dark
    Maniac
    Altered Carbon
  • chopsen 4 Jul 2020 17:55:32 21,041 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lucky you if you're about to watch all that for the first time

Pro tip: don't stop watching Dark for prolonged periods. It's really fucking complicated and if you lose track of what's going on you're screwed. And don't watch the dubbed version.
  • anephric 4 Jul 2020 18:12:09 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A sci-fi/fact series that never gets any love is the Canadian Regenesis.

I absolutely loved this at the time (after hunting down poorly seeded torrents of it) and it's been patchily released on DVD/Blu-ray (the UK only got the first season on DVD, I think, Germany has a Blu-ray set of all seasons).

I have no idea if it's on a streaming service, but if it isn't, it should be. The first season has some pointless HBO-style nudity to try to get dads to watch, but after they dropped that and just went full hard SF nerdgasm, it's great. The final season is a bit weird and told in flashback from the future, I wasn't as fond of that one.

Edited by anephric at 18:13:45 04-07-2020
  • beastmaster 4 Jul 2020 18:22:24 20,912 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Sinner S2 - 7/10

Not as good as S1 but more creepy and still a decent story. Carrie Coon is a sensational actress. Not seen Fargo or The Leftovers. Need to watch them.

Will give S3 a miss. Not sure what’s next. Fancy Black Sails but will probably watch something shit like Warrior Nun.
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 18:28:17 5,089 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    And don't watch the dubbed version.
    Definitely. I had the dubbed version on by accident once and... no, just no.

It implies you have to keep your full attention on it - unless you understand German? - but that is a good thing in this case, you really don't want to lose track.
  • damagedinc 4 Jul 2020 21:17:23 2,857 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished dark on netflix

One of the best.
  • MrFlay 4 Jul 2020 21:28:18 4,505 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just Watch is a nice app/website if you have multiple streaming services and want to know if a show is available anywhere.
  • TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2020 09:33:31 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    A sci-fi/fact series that never gets any love is the Canadian Regenesis.

I absolutely loved this at the time (after hunting down poorly seeded torrents of it) and it's been patchily released on DVD/Blu-ray (the UK only got the first season on DVD, I think, Germany has a Blu-ray set of all seasons).

I have no idea if it's on a streaming service, but if it isn't, it should be. The first season has some pointless HBO-style nudity to try to get dads to watch, but after they dropped that and just went full hard SF nerdgasm, it's great. The final season is a bit weird and told in flashback from the future, I wasn't as fond of that one.
    I have all these on DVD and they are a good watch.
  • Jono62 5 Jul 2020 10:14:47 25,350 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like it's only available in the US to stream.
  • Vortex808 5 Jul 2020 12:29:01 13,856 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sunderland til I die (S1&2).

Full on binge watch over a week. Easy viewing, nice representation of highs & lows of football.

Despite knowing pretty much how it went, I still got absorbed in it and felt for them. Especially after how this season ended too!

Glad I'm not a mackem/10
  • RGeefe 5 Jul 2020 15:44:40 1,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ashes to Ashes series 3 (the only one worth it)

Been a decade since I watched this over the original run. Not quite as good as I remember but those last 3 episodes...incredible, especially they way the draw back the curtain.

Second watch, I noticed a lot more of the subtle details that add to the characters and story. It's clear they knew what they were doing all along, which is good to see.

Keeley Hawes isn't as annoying as I remember and Daniel Mays is clearly enjoying the hell out of being Jim Keats.

I wish they'd have left it as the usual six episodes, rather than 8, though. Makes the first two series a real slog.

9/10 (series 3)
    7/10 overall

Going to do a sweep through of Life on Mars, now that they've announced a third series is in production.
  • Anthony_UK 5 Jul 2020 20:01:31 3,020 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sinner S3 - 4/10 (I'd rate the first two easy 8-9's)

As far as I can tell its from the same writer, but the whole thing is so implausible.

The first 2 had fairly ridiculous stories, but it still felt grounded. Every episode this time round has various unbelievable, contrived events that had me shouting at the TV. Even Paxman's detective, turns from a dark interesting character, to just laughable.

I think there's an attempt to look at men in society, especially the parts men suppress to be excepted. But its so poorly executed, it feels like the social commentary of a 15 year old emo incel.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 20:02:36 05-07-2020
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jul 2020 12:55:22 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wild Boys

An Aussie 'western' about a small gang of bush rangers. It's quite a fun watch, although their shenanigans are quite predictable. It gets points for the enthusiasm of the characters, although production wise, it's a bit rough around the edges - most notably with the fights and gun battles. I did enjoy it though.

7/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 12:55:33 06-07-2020
  • jaangus 6 Jul 2020 16:03:19 5,399 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Zero Zero Zero (it's on Amazon, I think)

A limited series about the logistics of transporting a massive shipment of cocaine from Mexico to Italy. It follows a few plot threads that involve Mexican drug lords, international shipping companies, and the Mafia.

Gabriel Byrne is the only well-known actor in it, but everyone does a good job. The narrative is really twisty, and there's a fantastic soundtrack from Mogwai.

Initially I thought it would be a limited series, but it's been renewed for season 2. So yeah, watch it, it's brilliant.

9/10
    This should be on sky eventually i watched the first episode but had to stop as the subtitles were all skewed. Not on amazon uk but is on us as far as i know.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jul 2020 21:09:31 13,966 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Sunderland til I die (S1&2).

Full on binge watch over a week. Easy viewing, nice representation of highs & lows of football.

Despite knowing pretty much how it went, I still got absorbed in it and felt for them. Especially after how this season ended too!

Glad I'm not a mackem/10
    I think knowing how it goes - especially in the first season - makes it all the more heartbreaking seeing how hopeful the fans are.

Some big heart wrenching moments too. When the injured player says he needs to get a dog because he’s so lonely oh man
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jul 2020 21:45:07 13,966 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Talking Heads

A whole heap of Alan Bennett monologues voiced by an all star cast. Almost uniformly bleak, occasionally incredibly dark, in rare moments quite funny. There are slightly more from the POV of paedophiles than is really comfortable.

Very well written but Alan Bennett is such a distinctive voice than no matter who is reading it the Alan Bennettness of the writing is inescapable.

A few go on slightly longer than necessary.

8/10
  • RawShark 7 Jul 2020 10:33:35 1,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Harley Quinn - Season 1

Recommended for the Tom Hardy-esque portrayal of Bane alone. I really enjoyed this - plenty of laughs and even a few feels along the way. Little bit too potty-mouthed for my liking but it's an adult animation innit. Kaley Cuoco makes for a good Harley.

8/10
  • beastmaster 7 Jul 2020 20:57:07 20,912 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Sinner S3 - 4/10

I was warned. I should have listened. I had to see for myself though so I sat through it.

Lots of problems but the main ones are

Revealed too much too soon. Wasn't really a mystery as you just knew what was going on and why for the most part.

Bad story. Seemed like there was too much Fight Club.
    Just wasn't very interesting.

Acting. Pullman is fine but everyone else is poor.

It was also boring.

Dracula - 8/10

Liked the take they had on it. Noticed Steven Moffat had his name attached to it. It was a fun, different take.

Edited by beastmaster at 21:04:51 07-07-2020
  • Jono62 7 Jul 2020 21:04:32 25,350 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dracula was fantastic until it shit the bed in the finale.
  • nickthegun 7 Jul 2020 22:03:07 82,290 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first episode was pretty good but it did what all Moffat shows seem to do, fall in love with the main character and vanish up its own arsehole.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Jul 2020 07:25:34 13,966 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought the conclusion of Lucy’s story, being burnt up and disfigured, was effective but everything else about that last episode was pure late-series Sherlock bollocks
  • johnnyrocketfingers 8 Jul 2020 09:46:23 300 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I finished Community which was great. I've been less intolerant of the character of Abed than last time. Perhaps since the first time I've read up on how stories get made and so I had more of an interest in his character's meta commentary.

Also did Rick and Morty and found it really fun. Amazed that sauce episode caused such a fuss.
  • Zerobob 8 Jul 2020 11:25:27 2,449 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Devs - 7/10

Strange, because a few weeks ago I was considering whether we're all truly in control of our own actions and if our decisions are truly our own - the core concept that the series explores - and it draws you into this narrative with a huge dose of intrigue, which is well done.

However, for spoilerific reasons, I thought it ended up getting a bit silly. I fully understand the concept Devs was attempting to convey, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the way the series operated this concept. I believe the act of seeing one's future allows one to change it.

Add to this hours worth of po-faced, glazed, static expressions from most of the cast, and I found it a real slog in places. Why do so many series think that the only way to execute dialogue is by having characters sit around with glum, blank expressions on their faces whilst delivering "cutting" dialogue. It's inhuman and boring.
  • chopsen 8 Jul 2020 11:34:32 21,041 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I believe the act of seeing one's future allows one to change it.
    Erm....that's exactly what happened.
  • nickthegun 8 Jul 2020 11:39:43 82,290 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    However, for spoilerific reasons, I thought it ended up getting a bit silly. I fully understand the concept Devs was attempting to convey, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the way the series operated this concept. I believe the act of seeing one's future allows one to change it.
    I think thats what it tried to do but got really lost along the way. It ended up being Ron Swansons nihilistic interpretation Vs the girl actively wanting to change things and she did.

Ron had to believe that everything is completely fixed for his wish fulfilment fantasy to work, so just went along with it, same, really, with his girlfriend.

The problem is, i suppose, is that the proposition is pretty preposterous and culminates in the girlfriend effectively murdering the young dev at the bridge. Their interpretation relies on pretty much collective madness because anyone in their right mind would try to stop someone falling off a dam or not shooting someone in the fucking head.

The girl disproves their theory by being the only one who realises how dumb it is to just go along with it, so she did ultimately change the future.

I did enjoy it but it was a bit disappointing that in order to make plot work they had to fall back on the old trope of making smart people act like morons.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.