Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 287

• simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Jul 2020 00:13:18 13,966 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I May Destroy You

Absolutely head spinning BBC rape drama. It goes totally all over the place and never settles into the kind of comfortable procedural narrative grove I was expecting.

Brutal and never afraid to show you the most uncomfortable moments without ever feeling exploitative.

Only minus is it starts a bit slow considering what it becomes but I suppose that pacing is necessary to get us there.

9.5/10
  • RawShark 21 Jul 2020 12:29:30 1,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I May Destroy You

Absolutely head spinning BBC rape drama. It goes totally all over the place and never settles into the kind of comfortable procedural narrative grove I was expecting.

Brutal and never afraid to show you the most uncomfortable moments without ever feeling exploitative.

Only minus is it starts a bit slow considering what it becomes but I suppose that pacing is necessary to get us there.

9.5/10
    Yep was about to post on the same thing.

Really thought provoking stuff. Watching as a straight male it made me take a full sexual inventory and ask myself if I'm really a complete bastard and never knew about it.

It should go without saying that Michaela Cole is a serious talent and that her days doing tiny roles in blockbusters should be over now. I love how she really throws herself into this and gets her truth across - with all the toilet sitting and uncomfortable scenes included. Although TV is still the one space where people don't take their bras off for sex.

10/10 for me. If you watch one series this year this should be it.
  • nickthegun 21 Jul 2020 13:54:21 82,289 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was originally going to be a netflix show, but their default position is to always retain control of the IP, so she walked away and fired her agent for trying to pressure her into taking the deal. She took a good bit less money from the bbc to retain control of the project.

She definitely backs herself.

Edited by nickthegun at 13:54:43 21-07-2020
  • Blakester 21 Jul 2020 13:57:53 4,999 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The (American) Office - all seasons

This has been a big part our lockdown experience, consuming a handful of episodes most nights.

I admit, I was highly sceptical of it going in, even though a lot of people had told me it was great. The first half dozen episodes didn't reassure us, coming off as a fairly lazy recreation of the original.

However, it really hits its stride in season 2 as the Pam/Jim storyline starts to develop and Steve Carrell turns Michael Scott into an idiot worth rooting for.

Like any show with such a volume of episodes, there are a fair few duds (mostly involving Dwight) and I can't honestly say that Andy improved the show, especially after Michael left. But it will linger in the memory, especially episodes like the fire drill.

The biggest compliment I can give is to say that I was sad when it ended and would happily work at Dunder Mifflin with those people.

8/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Jul 2020 15:26:01 13,966 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I May Destroy You

9.5/10
    Yep was about to post on the same thing.

Really thought provoking stuff. Watching as a straight male it made me take a full sexual inventory and ask myself if I'm really a complete bastard and never knew about it.

It should go without saying that Michaela Cole is a serious talent and that her days doing tiny roles in blockbusters should be over now. I love how she really throws herself into this and gets her truth across - with all the toilet sitting and uncomfortable scenes included. Although TV is still the one space where people don't take their bras off for sex.

10/10 for me. If you watch one series this year this should be it.
    Itís incredible. Itís a 10/10 really but some of it is so hard to watch.

Not just the honesty of what it covers but the amount of ground too thereís nothing untouched here.

I thought it was either going to be a revenge thriller or a bit of a whodunit but absolutely not but sort of but not at all but also itís everything else too.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 15:27:28 21-07-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Jul 2020 17:02:04 4,311 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cobra Kai Season 2

I really enjoyed it, its 9/10 right up to the last episode which is the best fight yet. The fight in the school is mostly one shot and its so well done, watched behind the scenes and they switched out to stunt doubles so seamless for certain bits. Season 3 is coming to netflix later this year.

9.5/10
  • askew 21 Jul 2020 17:08:43 21,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    John Adams: 8/10

It's very prestige, and very worthy, and very good. BUT. Fucking Tom Hooper and his fucking love of handheld, jauntily-angled, wide-lensed shots.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2020 17:14:55 25,597 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I kind of want to watch Cobra Kai, is it still only available on the shitty Youtube subscription thing?
  • Rum_Monkey 21 Jul 2020 17:16:35 965 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    And are the 9/10 scores a joke like how people know commando is crap but still give it 10/10?

Or is it actually good?
  • fontgeeksogood 21 Jul 2020 17:17:33 9,972 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I kind of want to watch Cobra Kai, is it still only available on the shitty Youtube subscription thing?
    I'm genuinely astonished you've not watched it
  • anephric 21 Jul 2020 17:19:42 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    askew wrote:
    John Adams: 8/10

It's very prestige, and very worthy, and very good. BUT. Fucking Tom Hooper and his fucking love of handheld, jauntily-angled, wide-lensed shots.
    I loved this at the time. The arc of Paul Giamatti's teeth getting ever more rotten and foul was majestic.

I kept meaning to buy the Blu-ray but it was v expensive and only came out in the US.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2020 17:21:21 25,597 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I watched the first one but Danny LaRusso looking like the slutty one off the Golden Girls really hit me hard. The influx of good reviews is making me what to try and get passed that.
  • anephric 21 Jul 2020 17:21:50 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hasn't YouTube Red bitten the dust now? All of Cobra Kai will move over onto Netflix at some point when the new series comes out.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Jul 2020 18:46:48 13,966 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    And are the 9/10 scores a joke like how people know commando is crap but still give it 10/10?

Or is it actually good?
    Commando is rad man
  • beastmaster 21 Jul 2020 20:12:34 20,912 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Arnie starts the films carrying a tree over his shoulder. It gets progressively more awesome as it goes on.

Edit: He also hides behind a few flower pots when an armyís shooting at him.

Edited by beastmaster at 20:14:22 21-07-2020
  • captbirdseye 21 Jul 2020 20:33:08 9,639 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He can also smell the bad guys coming for him.
  • f00b_inc 22 Jul 2020 11:00:10 789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And feeds a deer - 10/10

Edited by f00b_inc at 11:00:26 22-07-2020
  • Tomo 22 Jul 2020 18:23:10 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm four episodes into I May Destroy You... absolutely brilliant so far. Definitely one to watch if you liked Fleabag.
  • Tomo 22 Jul 2020 18:31:31 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It was originally going to be a netflix show, but their default position is to always retain control of the IP, so she walked away and fired her agent for trying to pressure her into taking the deal. She took a good bit less money from the bbc to retain control of the project.

She definitely backs herself.
    Did not know this.

I know it's literally inconceivable, but imagine if the BBC had no money and we never got to see the show. That would be crazy. But luckily there's not a remote possibility of that happening in the future so everything is actually fine.
  • RGeefe 22 Jul 2020 18:38:12 1,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I'm four episodes into I May Destroy You... absolutely brilliant so far. Definitely one to watch if you liked Fleabag.
    And what if you absolutely hated Fleabag and everything about Phoebe Walla Walla?
  • fontgeeksogood 22 Jul 2020 18:42:34 9,972 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Then you are dead inside and out
  • johnnyrocketfingers 22 Jul 2020 18:46:07 300 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finished Mandalorian and...okay.

The music was great. Simple but truly evoking the style necessary. The end of episode artwork was also wicked. Characters were cool, love that it was made with Unreal Engine sets. The dialogue was kinda lame but I resolved myself quickly that, of course it is, it's Star Wars, it's always a bit clumsy but if the story is good you can forgive it.

Finished Cursed too. It was okay. I didn't bother to check but it feels like the target audience were young adults, despite the violence.
  • Tomo 22 Jul 2020 19:40:11 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    And what if you absolutely hated Fleabag and everything about Phoebe Walla Walla?
    I would suggest Disney+ or Britbox
  • Tomo 22 Jul 2020 19:40:20 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Then you are dead inside and out
    And this
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2020 20:30:52 13,966 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Watch IMDY anyway. Itís far more raw and real and has none of the smarm of Fleabag.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2020 20:30:53 13,966 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Watch IMDY anyway. Itís far more raw and real and has none of the smarm of Fleabag.
  • Dougs 22 Jul 2020 20:56:26 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Oh. Now I am very interested.
  • RedPanda87 23 Jul 2020 08:04:33 2,026 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    I don't really get the Fleabag comparison (though I also love Fleabag). Just give it a try.
  • Tomo 23 Jul 2020 08:58:50 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Again, I've not finished the series yet. But to me both are centred on quite rudderless women in London with a focus on 'modern' issues of mental health, sex, family, feminism and basically what it's like to be a 20/30-something living life right now. IMDY explores some darker parts of life than Fleabag, but neither is particularly cosy.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.