Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 288

• RawShark 23 Jul 2020 16:16:39 1,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't want to spoil anything but I will say one thing. Tampons.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Jul 2020 08:17:54 17,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Norsemen (S3)

I enjoyed the first two seasons, and this lived up to my expectations. The humour isn't particularly sophisticated, but is consistent and as a parody of shows like Vikings works well.

7/10
  • Tomo 24 Jul 2020 08:33:56 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @RawShark

Haha yep that was great.

I'm a few more episodes through. Definitely clearly its own thing now. It's really great. And horrendous. But great.
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2020 19:52:01 17,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Daredevil (S2)

A bit of a dip compared to the first, mainly because it tries to cover too much and so some of the threads feel underdeveloped. The Punisher was a good addition, although Electra less so. The scraps are still good. even if he spends most of the series having the crap kicked out of him. Still a decent watch overall.

7/10
  • Trowel 25 Jul 2020 20:10:11 23,486 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Boys S1 - 8/10

Wow. A relentless pace for the most part brought to life by a strong cast. A few plot threads and charaters who feel unecessary, but that's probably a hangover from not being able to adapt the comics page for page - still amazing to see how much of the gore and action they were able to recreate. Look forward to S2 in a month or so, and I see that S3 has now been confirmed as renewed which is fab.
  • JoelStinty 27 Jul 2020 10:44:05 8,924 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Daredevil (S2)

A bit of a dip compared to the first, mainly because it tries to cover too much and so some of the threads feel underdeveloped. The Punisher was a good addition, although Electra less so. The scraps are still good. even if he spends most of the series having the crap kicked out of him. Still a decent watch overall.

7/10
    Yeah S2 doesn’t quite reach the heights of the first. Thankfully the third gets rights back on form. Really enjoyed it. Reading a few unsavoury things about Jeph Loeb this morning which might help explain why some threads of the second season may feel undercooked.

Anyway Dexter Season 4

Bit like above, felt Seasons 2 and 3 where ok but not a patch on the first, thankfully this matches the first. Loved it. Binged it over a few day’s. Giving Dexter a equal and tying it into dexter’s own issues as he tries to grapple with raising a family made for a compelling season. As a proper good ending too which left me open mouthed.
    4.5/5
  • Rum_Monkey 27 Jul 2020 11:20:23 965 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Is that the trinity killer one? Peak Dexter if so.
  • JoelStinty 27 Jul 2020 11:24:20 8,924 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Is that the trinity killer one? Peak Dexter if so.
    Yup.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jul 2020 11:27:13 26,034 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RawShark
    Can agree to both IMDY being great and Michaela Coel being very talented. A very different beast but her " Chewing Gum" is brilliant and so funny. I think it si still on 4OD
  • chopsen 27 Jul 2020 11:27:32 21,041 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Season 1 Dexter is the only really good Dexter.

The rest are all various degrees of meh, and it definitely lost something when they made it all about Daddy issues.

Trinity storyline is a relative high point, but it really is all relative.

Last season is *fucking* abysmal. I never finished it.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jul 2020 11:28:50 26,034 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    RGeefe wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    I'm four episodes into I May Destroy You... absolutely brilliant so far. Definitely one to watch if you liked Fleabag.
    And what if you absolutely hated Fleabag and everything about Phoebe Walla Walla?
    I don't really get the Fleabag comparison (though I also love Fleabag). Just give it a try.
    Same.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Jul 2020 11:29:06 5,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agree with the above to a point - the original season is by far the best.

S2, S3 and S4 had some great moments but it fell off a cliff at the start of S5.
  • Rum_Monkey 27 Jul 2020 11:46:34 965 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The last season is one of the worst bits of TV I've ever seen. I don't know how they manage to completely fuck it up like that.
  • Tomo 27 Jul 2020 12:10:46 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Have finished I May Destroy You now. Absolutely blasted through it - it's brilliant. Made me feel the full gamut of emotions. Was tough viewing a times. Highly recommended.
  • Bambot 27 Jul 2020 12:51:37 1,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Have finished I May Destroy You now. Absolutely blasted through it - it's brilliant. Made me feel the full gamut of emotions. Was tough viewing a times. Highly recommended.
    Serious question, why voluntarily put yourself through ‘tough viewing’? Where’s the entertainment or benefit?
  • Tomo 27 Jul 2020 13:11:58 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Because it's imperative to expose yourself to information/experiences outside of your own world.

As a fairly privileged, straight, (pasty) white male who hasn't been raped or experienced sexual assault, I feel I have a marginally better awareness of the issues raised by the series than before I started watching.

IMO, if more people exposed themselves to series like this rather Walking Dead season 28, society would be more informed and a more tolerable place as a consequence.

Not saying that you shouldn't watch Walking Dead, but catching some more challenging/educational television is very important, as well as being entertained.
  • Tomo 27 Jul 2020 13:15:47 17,805 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Also worth mentioning, IMDY is also very funny at many points. The three central friends are really great together. It's far from unrelenting bleakness if I've given that impression.
  • dfunked09 27 Jul 2020 13:21:04 28 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Dead to Me Season 1 & 2

Relatively short episodes and seasons, so definitely something that could be binged in a couple of days even though we took our time with it. Great chemistry between the two leads, and some great twists and turns along the way.

8/10 overall
  • Bambot 28 Jul 2020 13:05:40 1,821 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Because it's imperative to expose yourself to information/experiences outside of your own world.

As a fairly privileged, straight, (pasty) white male who hasn't been raped or experienced sexual assault, I feel I have a marginally better awareness of the issues raised by the series than before I started watching.

IMO, if more people exposed themselves to series like this rather Walking Dead season 28, society would be more informed and a more tolerable place as a consequence.

Not saying that you shouldn't watch Walking Dead, but catching some more challenging/educational television is very important, as well as being entertained.
    I can't stand the walking dead. Such a relentlessly depressing show. Don't understand why people enjoy that experience.
  • Nazo 28 Jul 2020 13:51:14 1,367 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Warrior Nun S1

First half was tedious teenage emo bollocks, 2nd half was better when it got into its story a bit more and we got some decent fights. I was expecting Buffy for a new generation but that's clearly not the direction it's heading. Oh well.

5/10
  • retro74 28 Jul 2020 14:45:41 3,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brooklyn Nine Nine S2

I have to say that it's fast becoming one of my favourite series. I thought it would get a bit samey and I suppose it does because it's got one main location but still it's brilliantly entertaining, has tons of heart and has great characters

Boyle is obviously my favourite

9 out of 10
  • Rum_Monkey 28 Jul 2020 16:31:31 965 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Captain Holt or GTFO.

It actually gets better as it goes on for me, it's a great sitcom.
  • RGeefe 28 Jul 2020 16:32:48 1,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seen Broadchurch (series 1) was being shown again on ITV and had a run through with it - US Netflix.

That really is not as good as I remember. It definitely feels very ITV. There are some amazing performances - Olivia Coleman and David Bradley in particular - but whoever did the editing needs shooting. Far, far too many cuts and some of it comes off hammy.
  • Dougs 28 Jul 2020 16:55:31 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Unorthodox 8/10. Fascinating insight into the hassidic community in Brooklyn, NY. Enjoyed that a lot.
  • Dougs 28 Jul 2020 16:57:01 94,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Captain Holt or GTFO.

Yeah, although the quality does start to drop imo. Only seen half a dozen episodes of s6 and am not compelled to watch it much. It's always a bit hit and miss, but more miss these days
  • retro74 28 Jul 2020 16:57:41 3,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey :) it's between Boyle and Holt, sometimes Holt is #1
  • RyanDS 28 Jul 2020 17:00:08 13,278 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Captain Holt or GTFO.

Apart from Gina.

I love that show but tend to fast forward scenes with here in and have skipped episodes centres around her. Repugnant and unfunny and somehow clearly a writers darling. (Spoiler, she is also a writer on the show...)
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jul 2020 21:33:09 9,972 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    YOU JUST DRANK CEMENT
  • elstoof 28 Jul 2020 22:00:31 25,868 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watched Chewing Gum, both series on Netflix both very good. Would’ve liked a third.

Fleabag series one, liked it very much

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.