Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 291

• Rum_Monkey 3 Aug 2020 12:53:11 1,455 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I've never seen the Sopranos described as a marmite show before. Everyone loves it, and the 1 or 2 that may exist that don't are just wrong.
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 13:02:32 5,318 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    I've never seen the Sopranos described as a marmite show before. Everyone loves it, and the 1 or 2 that may exist that don't are just wrong.
    :D

It's an excellent show, definitely in my top 5. However, I understand how the subject isn't for everyone (although I suppose that's true of anything) And I...

You know what, you're right, creepiest-lizard is just wrong.
  • creepiest-lizard 3 Aug 2020 13:05:09 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well for the record I didn't say it was bad. I said I didn't like it.
  • Dougs 3 Aug 2020 13:09:01 95,992 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Well for the record I didn't say it was bad. I said I didn't like it.
    You're still wrong! 😀
  • creepiest-lizard 3 Aug 2020 13:10:40 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey, if everybody wants to watch a tv show based on one neat idea in a Billy Crystal comedy for seven seasons have at it..
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Aug 2020 13:29:49 26,216 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @SuperSoupy
    Just wait until you see the ep: Pine Barrens. One of the greatest ever of any show. As for top tv (Dougs is right, done this many times) for me it is BB (I have seen the entire run at least 6 times now) closely followed by Sopranos.
  • Blakester 3 Aug 2020 13:32:05 5,091 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Last Narc - Amazon Prime

If you've watched Narcos:Mexico, this should be required viewing. It's an in-depth documentary on the death of DEA agent Kiki Camarena - told from the perspective of his wife, the agent closest to the case, and assorted cartel bodyguards who witnessed his torture and murder.

It's a fascinating yet soul-destroying look at government corruption, cover ups and the murky role of the CIA, who in their own words, have nothing to do with law enforcement. Hearing some of the testimony from people actually involved in the murder made my blood run cold - the world can be a really fucked up place.

Recommended - but be prepared to feel like shit for a while afterwards.
  • JoelStinty 3 Aug 2020 13:36:55 9,024 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What we did in the shadows S2

Not quite as good (or just as fresh?) as the first season but it is still extremely funny. Still one of my favourite shows on tv.

4/5
  • Dougs 3 Aug 2020 13:45:21 95,992 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @SuperSoupy
    Just wait until you see the ep: Pine Barrens. One of the greatest ever of any show. As for top tv (Dougs is right, done this many times) for me it is BB (I have seen the entire run at least 6 times now) closely followed by Sopranos.
    I was thinking the other day about the episode College, where he takes Meadow out to look at schools. Its so good. The juxtaposition is almost frightening.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Aug 2020 13:50:13 26,216 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dougs
    Indeed, I know the ep you mean.

p.s Lovely feckin' Gunners ;)
  • SuperSoupy 3 Aug 2020 14:48:43 239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dougs Saw that one just last week, very good. Most recent one I've seen is where the discover something nasty about their kids' football coach. And how Tony deals with it is really well done.

From what I can tell so far, anytime that character wrestles with being at his lowest, in the face of the pressure of his position, is where the show really sings.
  • SuperSoupy 3 Aug 2020 14:54:56 239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also +1 to the Succession talk earlier. My second-fave show of last year just behind Watchmen.

It's consistently brilliant and the entire cast are perfect. Looking forward to what they do with S3.
  • Dougs 3 Aug 2020 15:11:17 95,992 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've only seen half of S1 of Succession, they are all similarly nasty fucks. I have yet to find their redeeming features that makes me care about them though. Even the horrible bastards in Gomorrah managed it so I have hope yet
  • Vortex808 3 Aug 2020 15:33:58 14,109 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I've only seen half of S1 of Succession, they are all similarly nasty fucks. I have yet to find their redeeming features that makes me care about them though. Even the horrible bastards in Gomorrah managed it so I have hope yet
    Ah Gomorrah, my current favourite show. I tried to get the ciro film from italy, but was fucked over by 'rona delivery sanctions.

Everyone is such a bastard, some more than others obvs, yet when certain ones get done in, it almost brings a tear to the eyes. Hell, I even hated ciro for a good bit...

End(ish) of s4 was a bit sad too, I wasn't quite expecting that, although did twig eventually from what was going on elsewhere in the scene.

Sadly I guess it'll be fair wait for S5 now. :-(
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Aug 2020 15:49:36 14,876 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I know we’re going to run short of new TV soon but the BBC must be getting desperate trying to make such a deal out of Heroes being back
  • Dougs 3 Aug 2020 16:11:26 95,992 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Vortex808 I still haven't finished S4 actually. Rattled through 1-3 on my commute, took a breather for a few months as it depressed me a bit. Got 4 or 5 in before the Rona struck. Haven't managed to get back into it yet.
  • Vortex808 3 Aug 2020 18:13:32 14,109 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lots of back stabbing and scheming and... I won't spoil it.

I really liked it, maybe not quite as much as S3, but it's pretty much my favourite thing on telly right now.

Still need to get the dvd's of watchmen and the boys, as I would really like to see how they are.

I've also found out that Suburra is on Netflix, so may get going on that for my fix of Italian crime drama.
  • Tomo 3 Aug 2020 22:37:19 18,261 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Unbelievable - 9/10

Sticking with the rape dramas after I May Destroy You... This one is on Netflix and it's really good. Based on true stort but dramatised. Follows a pair of female detectives as they track down a serial rapist. It's very well acted and manages to be fairly devastating but without being relentlessly oppressive. Highly recommend.
  • Dougs 3 Aug 2020 22:47:09 95,992 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Really, really good series that.
  • RGeefe 3 Aug 2020 23:00:13 1,371 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I started When they see us and barely got through the first episode. My tolerance for "here's awful shit masquerading as entertainment" is low these days
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Aug 2020 23:56:23 14,876 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Games Britannia

BBC4 doc that’s been reshown and is about a hundred years old. There’s a talk in the third part about the latest Grand Theft Auto ... GTA4 ... and leans heavily on the “what are these video games, they’re not like the Monopoly you played as a child”.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Aug 2020 08:16:12 17,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Unbelievable - 9/10

Sticking with the rape dramas after I May Destroy You... This one is on Netflix and it's really good. Based on true stort but dramatised. Follows a pair of female detectives as they track down a serial rapist. It's very well acted and manages to be fairly devastating but without being relentlessly oppressive. Highly recommend.
    Really good series, although it had me shouting at the screen with the injustice of it.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Aug 2020 08:27:24 17,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Umbrella Academy (S2)

Follows on nicely from the first season and also manages to build on it. The characters develop in some expected, but also unexpected ways. It's a little more coherent than the first and sets things up nicely for another series, whilst also having a decent ending.

8/10
  • RawShark 4 Aug 2020 10:27:32 1,314 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    If you're looking for redeeming features from the cast of Succession, you're watching the wrong series. You just get acclimatised to the cuntyness.

Shiv's bum though.
  • RawShark 4 Aug 2020 10:29:18 1,314 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I know we’re going to run short of new TV soon but the BBC must be getting desperate trying to make such a deal out of Heroes being back
    Well if it worked for Channel 4 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer...
  • RyanDS 4 Aug 2020 11:15:19 13,364 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Umbrella Academy series 2

Between this, The Boys, Preacher etc it is amazing how we are in a golden age of comics tv series.

Like season 1, I loved every second. As with the previous, Five was the standout, but Klaus was very close and honestly every actor was perfect. Genuinely touching, funny and great action. And bonkers.

9.5/10
  • Mola_Ram 5 Aug 2020 16:28:18 24,586 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Umbrella Academy S2

I mostly enjoyed that, and thought it was better than the first season. I like the characters - Klaus in particular - and the interplay between them was as much of a highlight as it was the first time around.

It was pretty messy, though. With plot contrivances that relied on people not being able to communicate (Five not caring to mention that Kennedy survived in the doomsday scenario, seems a pretty big thing to leave out), characters having amnesia, or characters suddenly not being able to use their powers for some arbitrary reason (Five's teleportation being the main culprit). It also didn't really feel like everyone got their chance to shine, as far as superpowers went.

And finally, even though this was an improvement on the first season, it did feel like it was treading old ground a bit. So hopefully in S3 they can skip over a bit of the "dysfunctional family needs to learn to work together" business, and develop themselves a bit more.

8/10
  • Phattso 5 Aug 2020 16:36:10 25,936 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Morning Show S1 (Apple TV+)

Watched more out of boredom than interest but - a few heavy handed moments and eye rollingly unbelievable scenes aside - it was really really good. Effective handling of (some of) the nuance around #MeToo, decent casting, and some really uncomfortable moments. Popcorn level fish out of water story wrapped around the whole thing which was OK, and brought the humour to offset the more serious moments.

Not sure wtf they go with the second season but I'd watch it.

8/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Aug 2020 22:02:06 14,876 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Star Trek Picard

Jean-Luc back from his borderline medieval life on the vineyard to get himself involved in a conspiracy that threatens life in the Federation. Plus cameos.

It takes some liberties but ultimately it was enjoyable and good to see some familiar faces.

8/10
  • Blakester 6 Aug 2020 09:34:22 5,091 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    The Morning Show S1 (Apple TV+)

Watched more out of boredom than interest but - a few heavy handed moments and eye rollingly unbelievable scenes aside - it was really really good. Effective handling of (some of) the nuance around #MeToo, decent casting, and some really uncomfortable moments. Popcorn level fish out of water story wrapped around the whole thing which was OK, and brought the humour to offset the more serious moments.

Not sure wtf they go with the second season but I'd watch it.

8/10
    We just finished this and absolutely loved it. Anniston, Witherspoon and Carrell are all great - but it's Billy Crudup who steals every scene he's in with charisma to burn.

The season finale was hugely satisfying too - not something you can level at many shows at the moment.

It looks like season 2 is Corona-delayed

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.