Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 294

• Steve-Perry 7 Aug 2020 10:18:13 1,803 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @Decks That's basically it. There's a spirit aura that everyone can see apart from a few people.

I'm not sure about the clothing. Perhaps the 'God' of the final episode just really like the look of him in a dress.
  • Steve-Perry 7 Aug 2020 10:19:35 1,803 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    What was that Jake Gyllenhall movie which was a rip off called?

Scott Bakula has a cameo in that, as his dad on the phone.

I bet he was wearing heels and make up on the other side of the call. Shame we never see it.
  • Dougs 7 Aug 2020 10:54:45 95,479 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    As to why, hes 'that guy'. In every group of friends, there is one guy who's first reaction to everything is to drag up.

Charity event? Drag. Stag night? Drag. Birthday party? Drag.
    Usually ex-military IME
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2020 11:01:20 82,982 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    1000%.

One of my mates is an ex-para and loves a drag up. He also kept trying to get the 'Dance of The Flaming Arseholes' going as a thing until we pointed out we werent a rugby team.
  • mrpon 7 Aug 2020 11:20:25 36,375 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    What was that Jake Gyllenhall movie which was a rip off called?

Scott Bakula has a cameo in that, as his dad on the phone.

I bet he was wearing heels and make up on the other side of the call. Shame we never see it.
    Source Code
  • Dougs 7 Aug 2020 11:20:42 95,479 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It Ain't Half Hot Mum has a lot to answer for.

My wife's family are ex/current military and just think I am a big spoilsport for rarely joining in with the fancy dress.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Aug 2020 13:00:25 17,738 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DC Titans (S1)

Like Umbrella Academy I didn't connect with this on the first try, but I'm glad I gave it another try. It's much darker than I expected (in a good way) and there's a decent story there, although it does meander a bit and loses some focus along the way. The cast is a bit of a mix in quality and a lot of the CG is poor. However, over all it's quite entertaining.

7/10
  • RawShark 7 Aug 2020 13:29:24 1,285 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Transformer: War for Cybertron

It's ok. I didn't feel a renewed interest for the series like I did with Castlevania, for example. For a series about a toy line it came off as a bit navel gazing at times.

Here is my main problem with the series - if you're going to have a story dealing with a war involving an entire planet, it helps if you have more than a dozen or so character models. You see so many repainted versions of the same robot it gets generic. The more generic a robot, the more you can tell they're going to bite the dust - it's the Star Trek redshirt situation again.

Also, I would have liked them to have gone back even further in the timeline. We join the series in the midst of the war, but a more interesting story would be the events that preceded and caused the war - that's a story we haven't heard before. The history of the planet is really left to incidental dialogue, which is a shame.

That being said, characters the series deems worthy are characterised quite well and if the focus on the next two series is to stay on Cybertron there could be some more screen time for the lesser seen characters to shine. I especially liked Soundblaster and his mafia gangster style faction - more of that please.

6.5/10
  • RawShark 7 Aug 2020 13:37:30 1,285 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DoroHeDoro

Japanese madness - but totally enthralling. This is a great example of how to do world building - very little exposition, just straight in with a lizard headed man biting people's heads so the guy who lives inside his mouth can confirm if they were the one who turned him into a lizard man or not. Yeah.

Great cast of characters, a god mix of laughs and violence, and lovely artwork - it's a cosplayer's wet dream. There is the typical anime obsession with large breasts but at least it's not too pervy about it.

I enjoyed it - hoping for more.

9/10
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Aug 2020 13:41:57 1,277 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @RawShark is it aimed at kids?

Transformers.

Edited by Rum_Monkey at 13:42:09 07-08-2020
  • RawShark 7 Aug 2020 14:06:34 1,285 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey Not really - it's rated as PG so it's not an adult series by any stretch, but the story deals with fairly mature themes - genocide being the main one. It's much more mature than the Michaal Bay movies in a non-peering up Megan Fox's skirt sort of way.

I think the target audience is definitely the people who watched the cartoon as kids and have now grown up. There's no flame decal on Optimus here.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2020 14:08:53 82,982 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I donít know anyone who watched it who really liked it. It seems to have been really badly pitched.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Aug 2020 14:12:25 26,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I watched the first one with my little boy and he was bored shitless.
  • Garfy 8 Aug 2020 22:11:45 1,476 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Umbrella Academy s1+2

I'm a sucker for superheroes and time travel stories so this was almost tailor made for me. Wish it had focused a bit more on those elements rather than family disfunction but very good overall.

8/10
  • Tomo 9 Aug 2020 17:36:24 18,096 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Watchin Succession... The no confidence episode... :o

Fist in mouth stuff. So good.

It's basically Game of Board Rooms

Edited by Tomo at 17:36:43 09-08-2020
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Aug 2020 18:46:37 10,631 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's so good
  • Tomo 9 Aug 2020 19:08:12 18,096 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    "I swallowed my own load. It was WILD."
    "What... Dude."
    "It's a thing. It's got a name. I just can't think of it right now"

:D
  • thelzdking 9 Aug 2020 19:42:29 10,188 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Nest - 2/10

Soap opera-level writing with a trillion shit plot twists all dressed up as a proper drama. Really very poor.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Aug 2020 19:45:52 26,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    "I swallowed my own load. It was WILD."
    "What... Dude."
    "It's a thing. It's got a name. I just can't think of it right now"

:D
    Yeah that whole bit was brilliantly done.
  • Tomo 9 Aug 2020 21:30:45 18,096 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I thought Greg was just too stupid and too caricatured at first, but he gets better and better. His dealings with Tom are so good.
  • Blakester 9 Aug 2020 22:11:54 5,055 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You canít make a Tomlette without breaking some Greggs.
  • Nanocrystal 10 Aug 2020 03:11:00 2,208 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    You canít make a Tomlette without breaking some Greggs.
    Best line ever.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Aug 2020 07:40:39 10,631 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It smells like the cheese monger died and left his dick in the brie
  • Mola_Ram 10 Aug 2020 08:13:28 24,398 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So it smells like brie then?
  • Blakester 10 Aug 2020 10:46:18 5,055 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm doing my second run-through of Succession, which is all the more interesting having recently watched the 3-part BBC documentary on the rise and fall of the Murdochs.
  • Jono62 10 Aug 2020 11:00:55 25,596 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Currently halfway through Heroes Season 1 and it is so good. Shame it shits the bed in the later seasons.
  • JoeBlade 10 Aug 2020 12:39:33 5,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    The Umbrella Academy s1+2

I'm a sucker for superheroes and time travel stories so this was almost tailor made for me. Wish it had focused a bit more on those elements rather than family disfunction but very good overall.

8/10
    Loved it too overall, closer to an 8.5 for me. I was very pleased the 2nd season didn't let down.

Also, the soundtrack is da bomb (does anyone say 'da bomb' anymore? Just me then?)
  • Jono62 10 Aug 2020 13:12:21 25,596 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This youth does

https://tenor.com/xhJo.gif
  • TechnoHippy 10 Aug 2020 17:16:28 17,738 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DC Titans (S2)

About on par with the previous season and while it suffers from the same faults, it does still enjoy the strengths. The characters are fun, and their evolution interesting, although the story does tend to meander off course with regular abandon. The CG remains awful though. Despite its faults it is an entertaining watch and I hope there'll be mnore.

7/10
  • RGeefe 10 Aug 2020 21:51:55 1,311 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wire 2 - Wire Harder (the boat series)

Definitely a different feel to the first but that's possibly because we've gotten to know the characters. The scope is definitely bigger. I was vaguely aware that each series shifts its focus to a different part of Baltimore but I think this is the one where it sets out its stall. I feel like I know roughly what to expect from the rest.

In a lot of ways - it feels like a GTA game in terms of how it works. Certainly can see how it influenced both GTA IV and big influences on Breaking Bad (the montages, some of the shots, a lot of superfluous detail, the bowtie motherfucker being an early Gus Fring )

A lot of it hinges on that reveal at the end of the first episode about what exactly was being smuggled. If that had been left later, I think it would have been more of a struggle to engage with.

Weirdly - I think I cared less about the drug dealing gangstas this time around. I understood it and THAT moment with D'Angelo was a real shocker but I was quite happy to just move on from them. I gather that will not be the case but I can't see certain characters lasting past series 3.

Overall - more of a sidestep than a step up.

8/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.