Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 306

• simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Sep 2020 21:44:18 14,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Stemming from a TIA, like Trump has apparently had a number of
    Malcolm?

Edit: Prof Google has filled me in. Bloody hell!

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 21:47:35 07-09-2020
  • RGeefe 7 Sep 2020 21:54:41 1,311 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scrubs was good at the time but then Green Wing came along and shat all over it. My mate called it the "here's what I learned today" show and he's right. Though the Brendan Frasier reveal was excellently done.

Plus they really dropped a bollock towards the end when they tried to keep it going with an all new cast.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Sep 2020 21:57:23 14,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Plus they really dropped a bollock towards the end when they tried to keep it going with an all new cast.
    Why do producers ever think this will work?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Sep 2020 22:00:03 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Saved by the Bell: The New Class was an underrated gem.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Sep 2020 22:38:27 14,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Return / Season 11

Rewatch of the Kickstarted series that Netflix picked up. Jonah Ray is a great update on Joel and Mike, I probably prefer him to Mike if Iím honest, and the new Mads are a lot of fun too. The movie selection is right up there, lots of 60 and 70s stuff and the riff standard and running gags are as good as ever.

The kaiju rap is an all time classic skit
    https://youtu.be/EiJylMyfu9I

10/10
  • SuperSoupy 8 Sep 2020 09:49:47 228 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Sopranos S2

S1 of this show was a solid set up with some brilliant flourishes. But it admittedly felt a little underwhelming overall. S2 already has its chess pieces in place from the start, and hits the ground running while also throwing a few more pieces on the board.

A couple of storylines feel a bit soap opera-ish but who cares when the characters are this good? Still struggling to see what the point of keeping Tony's psychiatrist around is for though. She ain't solving anything, and her own motive only seems to be there for no other reason than to keep the 'mob boss sees a shrink' premise alive. Which at this point isn't so much required.

But really if I'm splitting hairs like this then it must be good. And very good it is. Here's to S3!

9/10
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2020 09:51:33 31,115 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Downton Abbey Series 03

Wooah, that went dark.
  • RyanDS 8 Sep 2020 09:51:47 13,326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    RGeefe wrote:
    From what I gather they didn't. It was a goodwill gesture to get people an extra series salary.
  • RGeefe 8 Sep 2020 09:55:43 1,311 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bojack Horseman S2

There are parts where it's a step up and parts where it's a step down. It was nice to see them going into the deep end with some of the more serious stuff - particularly the episode where he goes to New Mexico but I could really do without Todd and some of his "whackiness". It's all a bit Rick and Morty for me, at times. I could have done without the entire subplot of the improv comedy.

The visual gags are still absolutely stunning. Like the Halloween party where a wolf is dressed as a sheep. There's some frames where you have to pause to take in 2 or 3 jokes, which is great. But I really hope series 3 loses some of the "omg this is so random" vibe.

But I guess Netflix wants 12 episodes a series and that's what it gets.

7/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Sep 2020 12:05:55 14,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    RGeefe wrote:
    From what I gather they didn't. It was a goodwill gesture to get people an extra series salary.
    Well that makes even less sense
  • RichDC 8 Sep 2020 12:16:12 8,911 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RGeefe In general things remain excellent throughout each season of Bojack but Todd's whackiness never goes away and really does grate at points.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Sep 2020 13:42:02 17,738 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Away

There was much I didn't like about this show - too much focus on the home drama (not that it was bad, just a bit too much of it - except for the daughter), the lack of nuance with the politics and the story being a bit obvious. However I did enjoy it on the whole, most of the space bits were well done and I did feel for the challenges the crew faced. Although how the hell they made it through training I don't know - they're quite an unprofessional crew in many ways.

6/10
  • Rum_Monkey 8 Sep 2020 13:45:47 1,277 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    You smash through content TH.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Sep 2020 14:45:04 17,738 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The lack of commute has increased my watching time :-)
  • chopsen 8 Sep 2020 15:56:22 21,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm a few episodes in with Away and am finding it a bit of a chore tbh. I'd actually forgotten I started it till I saw that.

The drama is just so...undramatic.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Sep 2020 16:02:52 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice to see the girl out of The Next Karate Kid getting some work though.
  • nickthegun 8 Sep 2020 16:24:43 82,982 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ive not bothered with it. A few years ago there was an absolute plague of boring, kitchen sink, family drama disguising itself as sci-fi/fantasy tv shows and I am so over that its not even funny.
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Sep 2020 18:29:20 4,451 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lucifer S5 part 1

Glad to have the show back but it felt a bit rushed writing wise, the crimes they solved where not as well written as before. Micheal was bit of crap villain so far although God stopping the fight was good bit
  • creepiest-lizard 11 Sep 2020 18:49:32 2,024 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried a bit of the first season of Lucifer.
    It was fucking terrible.
    Kind of Supernatural lite when Supernatural is a lite version of loads of other stuff already.
  • Anthony_UK 11 Sep 2020 22:26:11 3,035 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Away - 6.5 (Edge scale)

I enjoyed it, as others have said there wasn't anything standout bad and I enjoyed the characters and the story overall. I'd happily watch another season anyway.

What threw me was rather it be a realistic technical recreation of a journey to Mars, the focus of the mission in space feels more of a plot device to separate a family and create drama from that, rather than the dangers of struggles purely living in space for that amount of time. It's all heartfelt and acted well enough but felt contrived enough to make me suspend my belief at times.

Bit light on edge of the seat drama too, but that said I've smashed though all ten episodes in 3 days which is rare.
  • Rum_Monkey 11 Sep 2020 22:58:02 1,277 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Big Little Lies s2

I didn't think it needed any more after the first series but they have done well to carry on the story without feeling tacked on. A stellar cast all performing well with good writing and good humour.

8/10
  • RGeefe 11 Sep 2020 23:02:28 1,311 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bojack Horseman series 3

God this is a fucking slog. I genuinely don't remember what happens other than an abortion, some shit happening underwater and some not so subtle criticism of Uber.

Fucking hard work. Still got 3 episodes left but I might just skip to series 4.

Feels like the quality has taken a nosedive.

can't be arsed/10
  • theone1 11 Sep 2020 23:09:25 114 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RGeefe You need to watch to the end, so much of the future episodes feed from the end of S3
  • TechnoHippy 12 Sep 2020 20:26:07 17,738 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Humans (S1)

I liked the idea of it more than the execution. The story is fine, although it does feel dragged out a bit. In the end it did enough for me to stick with it until the end, but I don't think I'll bother with the next series.

5/10
  • Nazo 12 Sep 2020 21:45:24 1,445 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Avenue 5
    I enjoyed this. Each episode ratchets up the chaos slightly building the humour and absurdity as it goes. Some great performances too.

8/10
  • RawShark 13 Sep 2020 10:04:05 1,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This should be called the incorrect opinions about tv series thread.
  • Load_2.0 13 Sep 2020 10:24:23 32,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Away was pretty gash. It took anything exciting about going to Mars and made it miserable.

Not a single member of that crew would pass a psyche evaluation as they are all on the verge of mental breakdown!

The drama was soap opera levels but the most distracting thing was the Nasa Directors facial expressions. She featured quite a bit in Ep 1 but they must have realised how distracting that face was and cut back on her screen time.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Sep 2020 23:40:56 14,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Gauntlet

The Netflix funded season. Shorter than the return season and some corporate meddling makes it weaker.

Good is that Jonah, the bots and mads still have great chemistry. Bad is that the film selection is much poorer, including an all time low in Atlantic Rim. Netflix apparently wanted them to included a modern deliberately bad to be so bad itís good movie and it just totally fails. How can you successfully riff something that is trying to be multilayered levels of irony and deliberate cheese?

The framing device of Jonah being trapped in a back to back binge watch doesnít really work either since the audience can leave whenever we want and Jonah is already trapped watching movies because thatís the whole premise of MST3K

High point of the season has got to be Mack & Me the horrible McDonalds ET knock-off.

7.9/10

Dark - season 1

Strange goings on in Germanyís most dreary and rainy town. An impossible mystery, grim murders, everybody has secrets years in the making.

Itís all intricately woven and had us hooked. The oppressive vibe doesnít really let up so bingeing ainít easy.

Even though I know there are two more seasons to come there is a frustrating lack of closure to any strand of the plot.

8/10
  • Nanocrystal 14 Sep 2020 07:36:42 2,208 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Bureau (not De Change) - S1
    Very good this. Hoping the other seasons keep the quality up.
  • RGeefe 14 Sep 2020 10:10:05 1,311 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How's Schitt's Creek? I'm told it's hilarious. Have done 3 episodes so far and chuckled about twice.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.