Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 307

• Tonka 14 Sep 2020 10:18:14 31,114 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    The Bureau (not De Change) - S1
    Very good this. Hoping the other seasons keep the quality up.
    Is the French tv-series that changed name from Les Bureau des Legends? That one definitely manages to keep the quality up.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Sep 2020 10:25:17 33,174 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Quick! Get him in the bureau de change!
  • Nanocrystal 14 Sep 2020 10:26:49 2,208 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're on borrowed time sunshine!
  • nickthegun 14 Sep 2020 10:27:03 82,978 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Lucifer S5 part 1

Glad to have the show back but it felt a bit rushed writing wise, the crimes they solved where not as well written as before
    They arent really the point of the show anymore so they are, like with scrubs on the previous page, even more 'heres what we learned this week'. Every crime conveniently is related to the lesson lucifer is trying to learn this today but it was particularly heinous this year as both of them were leaning on it.

And, ugh, put Maze out of her misery. That makes a face/heel turn pretty much every season.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Sep 2020 10:30:36 14,600 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    How's Schitt's Creek? I'm told it's hilarious. Have done 3 episodes so far and chuckled about twice.
    Netflix keeps trying to preview it to me but the trailer looks shite
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Sep 2020 10:30:54 14,600 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    How's Schitt's Creek? I'm told it's hilarious. Have done 3 episodes so far and chuckled about twice.
  • RawShark 14 Sep 2020 13:10:37 1,285 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couple from this weekend:

High Score

Perfectly watchable but lamentably light doc on the history of video games. Much like The Toys that Made Us, it's an interesting topic but told in too frivolous a fashion to feel like it's breaking any new ground. It's at its best when it's getting the players themselves to tell the story - former Nintendo staff, tournament winners and developers all have interesting segments. But you feel like towards the end of the series they lost the theme and were just covering loose ends that didn't fit into any other episode, so the development of Doom get thrown in an episode with Starfox for some reason. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as it should be either.

6/10

I'll Be Gone in the Dark

Some people are saying this is the best true crime documentary series ever, and while I'm not sure about that, it is definitely up there and the best example I've seen in a while. It's the story of crime writer Michelle McNamara's dogged hunt for the Golden State Killer, but what sets it apart is that as well as telling her story, a significant amount is told from the victim's perspective and gives them a voice - and it's made very clear that the US justice system has never really done that and failed everyone involved in the case for the best part if thirty years. It's terrifying, emotional and perfectly pitched. Blasted through it in two nights and would recommend anyone else to do the same.

10/10
  • TechnoHippy 14 Sep 2020 13:31:14 17,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Young Wallander

I haven't watched the originals, so can't compare, but I enjoyed this Nordic murder thriller. He's initially a bit off putting with his youthful earnestness and slightly strange voice, but once past that the investigation was involving. Not sure about the ending, but the journey was decent enough.77

7/10
  • Blakester 14 Sep 2020 13:33:42 5,055 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    RGeefe wrote:
    It reminds me a little of Arrested Development - wherein the laughs are more chucklesome than full belly. The characters are amazing though, especially Moira.
  • Dougs 14 Sep 2020 14:02:29 95,477 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've really tried to get into it, as I love Eugene Levy and Catherine wotsit. But I just can't....watched about 7 episodes, and whilst it's not bad and mildly funny at times, I feel no draw to carry on watching....
  • Tonka 14 Sep 2020 14:15:00 31,114 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Quick! Get him in the bureau de change!
    DAMMIT! It was auto correct I swear!
    /calls handler
  • Blakester 14 Sep 2020 16:50:24 5,055 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Strike - Lethal White

A huge disappointment.

Overly complicated plot that wasn't interesting enough to warrant the brain power, and too many scenes that stretched believability beyond breaking point.

It's the chemistry between Strike and Robin that keeps this show going, but I though the "will they, won't they?" dynamic has completely run its course and become plain dull. I genuinely couldn't cope with another episode of her glancing at him lovingly from a distance.

I don't think there's any more books to adapt, which is probably for the best.

4/10
  • Rum_Monkey 14 Sep 2020 16:58:33 1,277 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Black Mirror s5

Only 3 episodes long and probably the weakest 3 out of the whole lot. Don't know if the they're bothering with anymore but it looks like they have lost what made it special.

6/10
  • RawShark 14 Sep 2020 18:58:14 1,285 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that series was a disappointment. Other series kind of took the angle and are now doing it better. San Junipero was probably the high point that still hasnít been bested.
  • Nanocrystal 14 Sep 2020 23:39:42 2,208 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked the episode where the two dudes bang each other in the video game. But the Miley Cyrus episode was a real low point for the show. To be fair, anthologies are always gonna have massive variations in quality.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 22:42:10 14,600 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Strike: Lethal White

The central mystery/case was weak barely seemed to have any stakes or investment worth making. Even Strike and Robin barely seemed arsed about it.

The relationship between Strike and Robin was probably at its blandest too. Robin has always been the best character in this series and sheís reduced to crying, hyperventilating and gazing longingly at Strike.

I only finished it an hour ago and I canít remember what the point of role of half the characters was.

6/10

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 22:42:20 15-09-2020

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 22:42:54 15-09-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2020 22:48:46 14,600 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Extinction: The Facts

Mega bleak David Attenborough film that pulls few punches in lining up expert after expert to deliver unglossed truths about how humans are destroying the environment and the horrible consequences for us and nature.

For such a mainstream BBC prime time programme it really doesnít spare the viewers feelings either in the starkness of its message or the visual reality of what this looks like.

Hopefully Attenboroughís star power will make some people listen but given the political vibe of the times I suspect not.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mn4n

10/10
  • RawShark 15 Sep 2020 22:50:00 1,285 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started watching The Third Day. So far so Wicker Man. Itís very pretty though, in a British island sort of way.
  • Syrette 15 Sep 2020 22:51:42 50,796 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Understandably, it was the preachiest show I've ever soon.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Sep 2020 08:09:02 17,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wallander (S1)

Not as good as I'd hoped after watching the Young Wallandar. He's a bit of an odd character, and the feature length episodes drag a bit. The investigations are reasonably interesting.

6/10
  • Blakester 16 Sep 2020 12:14:28 5,055 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Started watching The Third Day. So far so Wicker Man. Itís very pretty though, in a British island sort of way.
    I thought I'd hate this, but the first episode was absolutely terrific. Unsettling, funny, shocking and weird.

Loved the visual style and how Jude Law completely threw himself into the character. Emily Watson and Paddy Considine are one of strangest couples on TV - real shades of Royston Vasey.

Desperate to see the next episode - shame it's shown weekly.
  • oldskooldeano 16 Sep 2020 12:23:56 3,135 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Wallander (S1)

Not as good as I'd hoped after watching the Young Wallandar. He's a bit of an odd character, and the feature length episodes drag a bit. The investigations are reasonably interesting.

6/10
    Just curious here. Are you watching the Kenneth Branagh Wallander or the original Swedish? In these cases itís always best to go full Scandi.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Sep 2020 13:33:21 8,202 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Currently binging on The Wire boxset, think S2 and S4 are my favourites, with S3 being the weakest, although only marginally - acting and writing has been top notch throughout.

Will start S5 this week, I can certainly see where it's going after watching the S4 finale last night. Hope it won't disappoint either and tie up the various loose ends nicely.

Can't believe this passed me by for so long - Breaking Bad is still the pinnacle of TV series for me, but this is definitely in my top 5.

9/10
  • TenMinJoe 16 Sep 2020 13:37:25 84 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kingdom season 1 on Netflix. This was GREAT. It's set in approx 1600 in Korea, and everyone has brilliant hats, and there are ZOMBIES.

There's all this courtly intrigue going on, people trying to get the crown, and it's intertwined with the zombie stuff BUT it feels like it would all be going on even without the zombies. Like, this world isn't 100% defined by zombies. But, also, ZOMBIES!

Edited by TenMinJoe at 13:37:42 16-09-2020
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2020 13:41:50 82,978 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    It veered wildly from boring to fascinating but will probably keep watching.
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Sep 2020 14:01:12 1,277 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Sounds like the type of show to have a spliff beforehand.
  • nickthegun 16 Sep 2020 14:03:09 82,978 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jude does get on the reefer at one point, funnily enough
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Sep 2020 14:07:29 1,277 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I like how big actors are venturing into TV more and more. Especially one off type series.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.