Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 313

• magicpanda 12 Oct 2020 00:18:59 15,065 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Expanse Season 3

10/10

Just fucking brilliant sci-fi. The little things bring it all together with amazing attention to detail to put you in space, it just looks spectacular. The best thing on right now for me.
  • Tonka 12 Oct 2020 07:28:16 31,190 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Downton Abbey (the last two)
    The Series started blurring together in the end. A fantastic masterpiece all in all, even though it lost some steam in the end. Much of that is due to how history was against it.

If you build a foundation on the whole upstairs/downstairs thing, and that thing evaporates, then there isn't much you can do. A feeling of doom pervades the final two series.

But, there was opportunity to do the Matador (a superb Danish tv show) thing and make it about the Crawleys and the modern world, and it's clearly where it was headed.

All in all I think it ended at the right time. Will watch the movie though.
  • RGeefe 12 Oct 2020 09:06:53 1,379 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    Ozark Season 1 8/10

Really enjoyed it. Great acting from the 2 leads and the script,setting and overall tone of the show is really well done

Am 3 episodes into Season 2 and it doesn't feel quite as good. A tad too political
    Ozark is such a "nearly" show.

It could get cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn't be bothered. Yet it's still good but there's something off about it.
  • creepiest-lizard 12 Oct 2020 09:26:33 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's almost a Breaking bad lite. It uses the core concepts of that show but somehow missed the humanity. It's definetely worth watching though. Ruth is a great character and the one I really want to end up okay.
  • Tomo 12 Oct 2020 09:33:27 18,266 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've started watching Atlanta on iPlayer. Donald Glover show. It's verrrrry good. Less than 30 min episodes too which is great. Really blast through them.

Edited by Tomo at 09:49:44 12-10-2020
  • Dougs 12 Oct 2020 09:48:22 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Need to get back into that. Watched the first couple then it disappeared off NowTV.
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2020 09:52:27 83,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There are some odd things going on with Sky at the moment. Im rewatching The Leftovers atm. They started the series off last week on sky atlantic but none of the episodes are on demand. If you missed one (we had a brief power cut during S1e4), youre shit out of luck.
  • RGeefe 12 Oct 2020 09:57:23 1,379 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    It's almost a Breaking bad lite. It uses the core concepts of that show but somehow missed the humanity. It's definetely worth watching though. Ruth is a great character and the one I really want to end up okay.
    Yeah absolutely. The fact that pretty much no one is likeable doesn't really help. There's bits taken from BB but fundamentally miss why they worked. Only Ruth and the old bloke they live with are the half decent drawn and likeable characters.

It doesn't help that the colour scheme is dogshit mixed with mist.
  • Dougs 12 Oct 2020 10:00:02 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    There are some odd things going on with Sky at the moment. Im rewatching The Leftovers atm. They started the series off last week on sky atlantic but none of the episodes are on demand. If you missed one (we had a brief power cut during S1e4), youre shit out of luck.
    I get very frustrated with all that. It sometimes takes us ages to watch a show because we both like different things at different times, so rare for us to blitz something. Pisses me off to get halfway through something only for it to disappear before we can finish it
  • Nanocrystal 12 Oct 2020 10:05:55 2,230 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Bureau (not de change) seasons 1-5
    Absolutely brilliant this. Some incredibly tense moments despite a low budget and almost no real action scenes. Great cast of characters and a twisting, complex, globe-spanning plot that's cleverly told but easy to follow. The finale felt very, well, final, but apparently there's a sixth season on the way.
  • Tomo 12 Oct 2020 10:08:07 18,266 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thankfully we pikey Sky Go off parents. It really is a heap of shit, with a sprinkling of decent content. Mainly the HBO stuff. The 3 minutes of adverts prior to watching something really takes the piss given the small fortune it costs anyway.
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2020 10:12:03 83,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sky Go deserves a sticky on r/assholedesign. Blanking out player controls (play, pause and FUCKING VOLUME) during the adverts is absolute bullshit.

Pro-tip: In windows, if you right click the volume control and select 'volume mixer' you can mute individual programs, so you can actually mute sky go during the two minutes of pre-roll adverts
  • neems 12 Oct 2020 10:14:55 4,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Nanocrystal

"This is a high class Bureau-de-change!"
  • Load_2.0 12 Oct 2020 10:50:46 32,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Battlestar Galactica.

I'd watched the odd episode here but never seen an entire season. I binged it all via the BBC over the past few weeks.

I know this a pretty popular/iconic series here and perhaps that had set my expectations a little too high.

It has some great characters who get great
    writing. Obvious stand outs are Admiral Adama, channeling his earlier Marty Castillo and the Chief (lol could they cut him a break? Just once?) It also had some pretty awful characters. Zarek, Cavil, their moustache twirling antics just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Season 1 was great I was really on board for seeing how it would unfold but really it was a bit of a downward spiral for me.

The frequency with which people are sentenced to death, threatened with execution or assassinated in the fleet with no real repercussions bothered me. But not nearly as much as the Cylons "plan" honestly they were just so fucking random with their decisions and actions. The final five revelation/plot/explanation felt rushed and poorly thought out.

The biggest problem is the Space Angels and Starbuck. Tadaaah God did it. Mysterious ways indeed. The Starbuck thing just felt like they wrote themselves into a hole. So magic! Alive again as a corporeal space ghost.

Oh and Saul Tigh and that fucking eye patch. How many times per episode were we treated to a close up of the XO pulling a wild eyed expression of shock or horror. It's at least once per episode.

As for launching all the ships into the sun. WTF president Adama, all those medicines and useful tools? So you can live in caves with a backpack?

OK that's a lot of moaning. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did it have some excellent characters and great acting. Yes.

It's a 7 out of 10 for me.

• TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2020 07:56:03 17,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Babylon 5 (S2)

Continues nicely from the first season and maintains a decent balance between the main arc and the various sub plots. The characters are larger than life and really carry the story. It doesn't measure up with production values compared to more recent shows, but excels in every other aspect that it doesn't matter.

9/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Oct 2020 08:13:16 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

a) ďBabylon 5ís a big pile of shit!Ē

b) where you watching?
  • Dougs 16 Oct 2020 08:20:01 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    :D
  • TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2020 08:35:13 17,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Get out!

:-)
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Oct 2020 09:37:55 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I havenít watched Babylon 5 in ages. I thought it started quite shite, until all the pieces started to come together and you realised this wasnít a typical show of its time. There was a really great planned out story. Where are you watching it?
  • richarddavies 16 Oct 2020 09:41:54 7,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fear the walking dead season 5

I'm not quite sure why I went through it all to be honest. It was so dogshit, in so many ways, it's like my head can't quite get my head around it all.

Just bafflingly shit
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Oct 2020 11:44:42 1,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    It's a shame because it was looking pretty good at 1 point.

Until the ultimate wetwipe Morgan shows up and ruins it all
  • Rodney 16 Oct 2020 11:50:12 4,663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Didn't they animate Bablyon 5 using Amiga 500s or was that just a playground rumour?
  • Vortex808 16 Oct 2020 12:01:50 14,113 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think so. Sure i read that in some amiga mag back in the day.

Not sure it was a 500 though, maybe one of the fancier upgraded ones.

Edited by Vortex808 at 12:02:31 16-10-2020
  • TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2020 12:04:11 17,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    I havenít watched Babylon 5 in ages. I thought it started quite shite, until all the pieces started to come together and you realised this wasnít a typical show of its time. There was a really great planned out story. Where are you watching it?
    I'm buying them on Amazon - I actually have them all on DVD, but too lazy to switch disks.
  • IRWATWO 16 Oct 2020 12:39:32 794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    I'm buying them on Amazon - I actually have them all on DVD, but too lazy to switch disks.
    I didn't know they were on Amazon. I also have the DVDs (films and Crusade too :) ) but an upgrade in pic quality would be good. Couldn't get much worse, the originals look like they were filmed through greaseproof paper. Still completely great telly though.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2020 13:06:25 17,847 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @IRWATWO I don't think they're better quality than the DVDs from what I remember and the CG has not aged well at all. I still love it though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Oct 2020 13:25:55 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tried watching some Space Above & Beyond clips not too long ago and for the most expensive tv show in the world at the time the cgi looks very PS2 cut scene nowadays
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2020 13:46:31 83,333 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The interesting thing about SAAB is its actually pretty shit
  • RyanDS 16 Oct 2020 13:57:42 13,366 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Didn't they animate Bablyon 5 using Amiga 500s or was that just a playground rumour?
    Video toaster if I recall which was an amigo programme.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Oct 2020 14:01:12 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The interesting thing about SAAB is its actually pretty shit
    Get out

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.