Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 314

• nickthegun 16 Oct 2020 14:05:10 83,333 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its honestly a bit of a Mandela Effect, for me. I watched it all when it was first on and a few episodes a few years ago to check Im not going crazy but I just dont understand how it was so well regarded. It genuinely feels like everyone else watched a different show because its just so boring and shit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Oct 2020 14:15:54 14,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think its problem could be that it was very quickly surpassed by shows like Band of Brothers and Battlestar Galactica when it came to serious mature cinematic tv depictions of war and sci-fi.

I could just be riding the nostalgia, it certainly looks less like tv than Star Trek or Babylon 5 but a long way from how cinematic big budget tv would become very soon after.

Its probably quite syfy channel looking now but my glasses are too rose-tinted.
  • IRWATWO 16 Oct 2020 15:20:43 794 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @IRWATWO I don't think they're better quality than the DVDs from what I remember and the CG has not aged well at all. I still love it though.
    Thanks. I will buy Severed Dreams to compare. And then the rest of it probably.

I do remember catching the odd episode at all hours on Ch4 when it first appeared, and dismissing it as a Trek ripoff (ironic given where DS9 came from) then suddenly wanting to know what happens next, in a way Trek had never done, beyond 2 parters and end-of-season cliffhangers. The story arc of the first 4 seasons, from the very first episode, remains some of the best telly I've ever seen, and perhaps even more so as it is hidden behind production values that speak of love and dedication for the project, but also extremely limited budgets.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2020 15:22:34 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @IRWATWO Story wise I found it more interesting than Star Trek, but with much lower production values. I'd still rate B5 higher though.
  • richarddavies 18 Oct 2020 12:49:10 7,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watchmen

Went through it in a couple of days and it was pretty marvelous really. Struggle to find much fault with it. Jeremy irons accent is quite offensively bad, but if that's the only niggle I can think of it did pretty great overall.

9/10
  • ZuluHero 18 Oct 2020 13:49:24 9,264 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Haunting of Bly Manor. 6/10

Not as engaging or scary as Hill House. Quite slow and the story has quite a few plot holes and dead ends. Started off quite promising bit ultimately let itself down.
  • RawShark 18 Oct 2020 19:17:31 1,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Haunting of Bly Manor. 6/10

Not as engaging or scary as Hill House. Quite slow and the story has quite a few plot holes and dead ends. Started off quite promising bit ultimately let itself down.
    Yeah was about to post something on this but this pretty much nails it.

It has its moments but never adds up to the sum of its parts. Disappointingly a lot of the characterís story arcs just trail off. And some extremely dodgy accents. The narrator canít figure out if sheís a plummy voiced southerner or from somewhere oop north.

The framing device doesnít work either. If anyone cornered you at a wedding and started telling you a ghost story that lasted ten hours you would be begging them to shut the fuck up by episode three.
  • dfunked09 18 Oct 2020 19:59:34 533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    S1 and S2 of The Fall. Probably 9/10 for each.

A few episodes into S3 now and I'm already seeing why people say it goes to shit. Should've just ended S2 slightly differently and be done with it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 21:48:02 14,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dfunked09 Itís like they were commissioned for more episodes than they had plot and shat the bed coming up with ideas
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 21:48:18 14,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Oct 2020 21:50:43 14,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No More Jockeys

Its not telly but its like telly sort of, youtube. Anyway, Mark Watson, Tim Key and Alex Horne playing a game that borders on Iím Sorry I Havenít A Clue worthy

9/10

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoMoreJockeys
  • retro74 19 Oct 2020 22:37:11 3,355 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cobra Kai - Season 1

Really good overall but episodes 9 and 10 seemed to introduce some really cheesy, incongruous elements that did not work at all

Strange that they were the best rated episodes when I checked IMDb after watching it

7 out of 10
  • TechnoHippy 20 Oct 2020 15:01:56 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Babylon 5 (S3)

Well that was just wonderful. All the good work in the first two series really come together as everything kicks off. There's some great character development, although G'Kar and Londo both usually manage to steal any scene that they're in.

The only off note for me is Marcus, he's not bad, just a bit of an annoying twat.

10/10
  • Dougs 20 Oct 2020 15:14:11 96,030 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Cobra Kai - Season 1

Really good overall but episodes 9 and 10 seemed to introduce some really cheesy, incongruous elements that did not work at all

Strange that they were the best rated episodes when I checked IMDb after watching it

7 out of 10
    I would put S1 at an 8. I really enjoyed it despite the cheesiness. However, I am not as enamoured with the start of S2. It is irking me.
  • Jono62 20 Oct 2020 15:17:55 25,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Dougs The main girls acting and fighting is really off putting.
  • Decks 20 Oct 2020 15:18:44 26,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the will to watch it drained from me at the start of S2, I'm going to try to get back into it at some point though. The guy playing Jonny's son really irritates me the shit haired cunt.
  • Dougs 20 Oct 2020 15:29:20 96,030 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It was more the continued presence of Crease that is bothering me. I mean, where's Johnny's rationale for that? Makes no sense to me.
  • Tomo 20 Oct 2020 18:43:43 18,266 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Atlanta S1 - 8/10

It's good. I blasted through it. It did leave me wanting somewhat though. I think that's kinda deliberate though. The whole thing feels quite aloof - it just drifts along and things happen or they don't. Onto S2...
  • retro74 20 Oct 2020 19:35:26 3,355 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dougs absolutely. Makes no sense at all

I can see season 2 being a bit shit if the first episode is anything to judge it on
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Oct 2020 22:02:24 14,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Spaced series 2

Obviously

10/10
  • TechnoHippy 21 Oct 2020 17:35:03 17,847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Roadkill

BBC political drama with Hugh Laurie as a rather charming conservative MP. It's interesting enough, but doesn't stand out. Everyone does a reasonable job and it progresses with the requisite twists and turns, but ultimately plays it quite safe.

6/10
  • RGeefe 21 Oct 2020 18:10:19 1,379 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Malcolm in the Middle - various seasons and such

This has held up surprisingly well and I forgot how many of the jokes really, really aren't for kids. It just about passes as a family show but more for the 10+ age bracket, rather than the Simpsons.

Some of the delivery and the lines the kids get are fantastic, particularly little Dewey. I have fond memories of the show because I basically grew up with it through secondary school.

10/10
  • IRWATWO 21 Oct 2020 20:46:42 794 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Bojack Horseman series 3

Fucking brilliant, frankly. Really well written, really clever. Great cast. Nuanced characters you actually give a shit about. The way the animal characters (except Bojack) behave as animals only occasionally is really well used. Even the theme tune is great. If the next 3 series are as good as the first 3, I'll be very happy. Thanks to all who recommended it on here, pushed it to the top of my list.

Edited by IRWATWO at 20:48:16 21-10-2020
  • RGeefe 21 Oct 2020 21:05:58 1,379 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am still yet to finish series 3. Found it a slog and really can't be arsed. One day.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Oct 2020 21:33:53 14,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Books series 1

After Spaced this seems incredibly dated. Over the top rubber faced student based sitcom. I remember it being one of the smart ones first time around.

6/10
  • Mola_Ram 22 Oct 2020 08:23:46 24,598 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gomorrah - Series 1

I've heard about this series a lot on here, and it only just recently became available.

Fuck me the people on this show are terrible. It's glorious.

10/10
  • RGeefe 22 Oct 2020 09:21:48 1,379 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Black Books was better than I remembered it but I set my expectations low. The comedy is quite hokey in places but, by and large, it held up well enough. Though the quality did deteriorate pretty quickly across the series.

The Boys (S2)

Bloody brilliant. I also liked the vague attempt to explain Karl's weird accent by having a cockney mum (played by a bloody Manc, so they can't even get that right) and an Oz dad. Fuck it, it's an attempt.

Really good. I am also massively impressed that they keep it to only 8 episodes and it never, ever drags. Something Netflix could learn from.

Genuinely didn't see the ending coming.

8/10
  • Blakester 22 Oct 2020 09:29:22 5,094 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Gomorrah - Series 1

I've heard about this series a lot on here, and it only just recently became available.

Fuck me the people on this show are terrible. It's glorious.

10/10
    It's really grubby TV, and all the better for it.

I've still to watch the final season as I've been saving it up for a special occasion.
  • Decks 22 Oct 2020 09:37:56 26,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Black Books was better than I remembered it but I set my expectations low. The comedy is quite hokey in places but, by and large, it held up well enough. Though the quality did deteriorate pretty quickly across the series.

The Boys (S2)

Bloody brilliant. I also liked the vague attempt to explain Karl's weird accent by having a cockney mum (played by a bloody Manc, so they can't even get that right) and an Oz dad. Fuck it, it's an attempt.

Really good. I am also massively impressed that they keep it to only 8 episodes and it never, ever drags. Something Netflix could learn from.

Genuinely didn't see the ending coming.

8/10
    I'm pretty sure his dad was supposed to be a cockney too.
  • richarddavies 22 Oct 2020 09:38:11 7,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:

8/10

His dad was supposed to be British as well......I've mentioned it on here before, but it's like they had a "who can do the shittest British accent" competition on set and it all got a bit out of hand.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.