You seemed to have typed 10/10 wrong.
  • Kay 8 Nov 2020 22:10:26 20,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Actually yeah, it probably deserved a 9 just for L TO THE OG
  • dfunked09 8 Nov 2020 22:40:12 1,028 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Haha, it took me a month to get over that cringe moment... Thanks for bringing it back!
  • Rum_Monkey 8 Nov 2020 22:59:20 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The tomlette line automatically makes it a 10/10
  • Kay 8 Nov 2020 23:15:02 20,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I really wished I'd gone in cold on that bit. I was expecting the line all season after reading it in this thread.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2020 03:46:44 24,905 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gomorrah S2

Still grubby, still excellent. I didn't think they would go so far as to kill children, but they went there! It was soul-draining!

I don't think I quite liked it as much as S1, partly because they added a bunch of new characters that I just didn't really care about. Though that lady druglord was pretty intense.

8/10
  • Vortex808 9 Nov 2020 09:42:09 14,324 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now get on to season 3!

S3 is my favourite one so far I think. So much good stuff...

Well, certainly plenty happens.
  • Tonka 9 Nov 2020 09:59:41 31,378 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Poldark S1

I wanted some more UK costume drama and this showed up on a list. Tells the sotry of the black sheep of the fancy pants Poldark family in 19th century Cornwall. He has a scrappy copper mine but a heart of gold. His cousin on the other hand has everything served on a silver platter, but is blessed with a reverse Midas touch.

The there's a ton of romance. Heaving bossoms and lingering gazes.

I very much enjoyed it, despite having some problems with how pigheaded the main character is. HAs made me want to go to Cornwall.

Well worth watching
  • TechnoHippy 9 Nov 2020 13:06:35 18,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Queen's Gambit

This proved to be an unexpected delight. I do enjoy playing chess, and wish I was better at it. I also don't know a lot about its history - something I should remedy. This was both an interesting personal tale, as well as a glimpse into the world of chess for that period. It delivered on both counts, although I would happily have heard more about the game analysis, but they might be too geeky for the general audience :-) Loved it.

9/10
  • freddymercurystwin 9 Nov 2020 15:45:43 2,296 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Iíve started watching To The Lake on Netflix, a non-zombie but lethal pandemic series from Russia, which focuses on a bunch of about eight characters some nice some not so nice brought together who are trying to escape Moscow and the plague and the marauding violent dregs of society who are doing the looting/raping etc to live out the pandemic aboard a boat on a distant lake. On episode 2 so far (there are 8) but pretty good so far, acting, camera work, storyline, effects, soundtrack all good. Perhaps a bit depressing to watch atm but at least you know weíve not reached this stage yet, the wife didnít really want to watch it I canít think why!
    Just finished this. 6.5/10
  • Tomo 9 Nov 2020 15:53:30 18,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Kay wrote:

whole Rhea storyline - I was surprised at how easily Logan was hoodwinked by her.

Tbh, I think this is fair. I remember having a similar sense, but then as the series went on and it became apparent that Logan wanted to personally bearhug Rhea the entire storyline seemed more credible.
  • RyanDS 9 Nov 2020 21:26:13 13,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    End of the fucking world.

First 2 episodes 4/10. Rather boring but ploughed through due to recommendations here. Then it clicked. Great rest of first series. Really intrigued to see where they take it in the second.

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 10 Nov 2020 08:19:57 18,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    XIII: The Conspiracy

More of a mini series with a conspiracy that Tom Clancy would have wanked out. Still it just about hangs together, clips along at a fair pace, and the action is decent.

6/10
  • papalazar0u 10 Nov 2020 09:05:27 188 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I'm 3 episodes in and unexpectedly hooked - I'm a complete chess novice but I don't think that matters at all, the characters and world the show has created is brilliant. Will hopefully finish watching it tonight - also loving that it's only 7 episodes.
  • Decks 10 Nov 2020 09:09:22 27,689 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thought you were banned?
  • JoelStinty 10 Nov 2020 14:08:21 9,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Homeland Season 8

Pretty good. As moments where it is homeland at its best and moments where it starts to jump the shark and becomes 24. But it nothing less than entertaining. Maybe let down by character issues being nothing more than plot devices rather than offering any exploratory insight and a few 24 style plot contrivances but especially mid season, it really kicks in to gear and I binged 4/5 episodes in one sitting which I rarely do these days

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 14:10:26 10-11-2020
  • leekuti 10 Nov 2020 21:19:10 35 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Ted Lasso 10/10

Simply brilliant... joyous, light hearted magic and just perfect to escape from world

Thanks to those that recommended
  • Ultrasoundwave 10 Nov 2020 22:50:04 6,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    leekuti wrote:
    Ted Lasso 10/10

Simply brilliant... joyous, light hearted magic and just perfect to escape from world

So happy that others are watching (and loving) this....absolutely fell in love with it, canít wait for season 2!
  • TechnoHippy 11 Nov 2020 20:55:07 18,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Startup (S1)

Street gangs, dodgy finance, and a tech start up. I wasn't sure at first, but it gradually sucked me into the set up. And the poor bastards have some hard luck, although to be fair, a lot of it was deserved. I did end up enjoying it, and I'm straight into the next series.

7/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2020 22:51:42 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Midnight Diner Tokyo Stories s2

I donít know why its taken me so long to get around to finishing this (yes, I do, Baby Maybe) but like the first season it is just the most heartwarming beautiful television. Everything about it is just perfect.

10/10
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Nov 2020 22:59:59 26,339 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Witcher. Excellent, 10/10
  • Immaterial 11 Nov 2020 23:00:06 2,460 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Liberator
    7/10
    Rotoscoped series set in WW2 following an American officer and his men around Europe. The visual effects make the whole thing look like it was filmed inside Company of Heroes II, with an Italian level, a mountain level and a destroyed city level. Apart from that, standard self-important war storytelling with a few interesting bits.
  • Syrette 11 Nov 2020 23:10:08 50,935 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    leekuti wrote:
    Ted Lasso 10/10

So happy that others are watching (and loving) this.... absolutely fell in love with it, canít wait for season 2!
    WE KNOW
  • Rum_Monkey 12 Nov 2020 00:40:44 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Immaterial

Are the battle scenes any good?
  • Immaterial 12 Nov 2020 07:53:20 2,460 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Some of them are extremely well choreographed- the director's CoH game must have been strong.
  • Saul_Iscariot 12 Nov 2020 09:07:34 3,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I am regretting every decision that I have made in the last twenty four hours. From not thinking fuck it and walking out on my job. To having two Carolina Reaper chilli quarter pounders, that are too bad yard hot for me. To cooking the potato waffles that I cooked in the oil from said burgers. Too finding out my sour cream was out of date. I could have bought some more the other day, but thought no need. So my waffles and burgers were too bastard hot to eat. To turning on Truth Seekers. I wasnít planning on staying up this morning, but I am now three episodes in, and thinking chuff going to work tonight. Get some beers in, and binge the whole lot.
  • Zerobob 12 Nov 2020 12:28:53 2,656 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Barbarians - 7/10

It was OK. Very much in the same vein as The Last Kingdom or Vikings. The story was interesting enough and managed to stay focused on the most interesting character, thankfully. The costumes were great, and the fight scenes were fairly well done.

The dubbing didn't help though. A little too much double-crossing here, there, and everywhere made it feel like a bit of a pantomime, and dumb character decisions ultimately took the menace out of the Roman threat, which was handled very well in the earlier episodes.

On a side note, I thought I knew the real life Roman massacre the story was alluding to, but it didn't seem to depict it correctly, if it was based on this.
  • Zerobob 12 Nov 2020 12:32:12 2,656 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    leekuti wrote:
    Ted Lasso 10/10

So happy that others are watching (and loving) this....absolutely fell in love with it, canít wait for season 2!
    It was a good comedy with a few great characters and a lot to like, but I thought it went a little "Hollyoaks" in the latter episodes.

I'd recommend it too though, and it wise enough to focus on the characters rather than football action.
  • jaxon58 12 Nov 2020 12:39:11 2,532 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Startup (S1)

Street gangs, dodgy finance, and a tech start up. I wasn't sure at first, but it gradually sucked me into the set up. And the poor bastards have some hard luck, although to be fair, a lot of it was deserved. I did end up enjoying it, and I'm straight into the next series.

7/10
    Startup is fantastic! Loved all three series.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Nov 2020 13:23:29 18,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Indeed - the second season is shaping up nicely.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.