Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 322

• planktonic 12 Nov 2020 14:41:55 19 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Startup (S1)

Street gangs, dodgy finance, and a tech start up. I wasn't sure at first, but it gradually sucked me into the set up. And the poor bastards have some hard luck, although to be fair, a lot of it was deserved. I did end up enjoying it, and I'm straight into the next series.

7/10
    Startup is fantastic! Loved all three series.
    Yes! Always got the impression it didnít get the love it deserved.
  • nickthegun 12 Nov 2020 15:48:25 83,748 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Leftovers - S1-3

Individually, possibly some of the greatest hours of TV ever made. Collectively... you could probably argue that the whole thing is a bit less than the sum of its parts.

I found it absolutely gripping, the acting is great, the writing is sharp and the soundtrack is absolutely on point.

But its very much about the journey, not the destination which for some people (like myself) can be a bit frustrating. The show and its characters dont really care why 2% of the population vanished or why weird, portentous things keep happening to them, its more worried about how they cope with them.

It is odd. Every episode had me absolutely hooked and I couldnt wait to watch the next one but at the same time, something was leaving me a bit cold. I think I was wanting more from a something that looked and quacked like genre show but the real supernatural mystery were the friends we made along the way.

9/10
  • RawShark 12 Nov 2020 22:43:42 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blood of Zeus

It seems a bit simplistic to say ďIf you liked Castlevania youíll like this.Ē But... yeah. Itís a solid, satisfying, if unsurprising romp. If anything I wish the art style was more separate to Castlevania. Anime is in dire need of diversity as it is so if were to look more like Greek hydria paintings that would have been cool. But I did appreciate how they didnít just shoehorn in all the Greek mythology and monsters by the bucketload at you in the series, instead taking time to tell the story it wanted to tell. Itís God of War 1 style, compared to God of War the rest of them.

7/10

Edited by RawShark at 22:44:13 12-11-2020
  • nickthegun 12 Nov 2020 23:00:16 83,748 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was pretty good but the magic bident is the laziest, most annoying animation cost save since the repeating backgrounds in scooby doo.

Every fucking action scene has the bad guy sat remotely on his griffin thing, flinging it about like a happy shopper Yondu.
  • RawShark 13 Nov 2020 08:53:26 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But it chops people up good.
  • freddymercurystwin 13 Nov 2020 12:51:06 2,296 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    The Liberator
    7/10
    Rotoscoped series set in WW2 following an American officer and his men around Europe. The visual effects make the whole thing look like it was filmed inside Company of Heroes II, with an Italian level, a mountain level and a destroyed city level. Apart from that, standard self-important war storytelling with a few interesting bits.
    I gave this a whirl last night, thought it was pretty run of the mill story and I have to say the animation (or whatever it's called) jarred with me quite a bit. Don't know if I'll watch any more. Wasn't there some weird Keanu Reeves film filmed like this a few years back. I didn't like that much either.
  • RawShark 13 Nov 2020 13:40:38 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're thinking of A Scanner Darkly.
  • brokenkey 13 Nov 2020 13:47:28 10,657 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    There's only been one episode so far but..

Industry. If you remember the 90s and This Life, then this is the updated version. But everything is shitter for the millennials. It's on BBC iplayer.
  • Dougs 13 Nov 2020 13:48:34 96,721 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Fucking Egg.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Nov 2020 14:00:49 18,077 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Startup (S2)

Continues from the first season nicely, and wraps things up by thed, so much so that I'm curious what season 3 is all about. They're not very nice people (especially Izzy), but the balance of their motivations keeps you engaged. And adding Ron Perlman to the mix always makes things better.

8/10
  • Darth_Flibble 15 Nov 2020 10:26:32 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Farscape S1

Have not seen it in ages and for 20 year old show, it has not aged that badly but it was made when shows had to have 22+ episodes and the one off epsiodes. The show does not get going till they do the over arcing plot about wormholes.
    Also started on s2 now and it has early one off eps that are average but quickly get going

s1 7/10

Stargirl
    Was bored of the DC super hero shows but managed to get through this as its not a 22 ep season of the flash. Most of the main cast are good apart from the little brother, the awfully dull beth and "hour man" and also the bellend who thinks he is king arthur Knight.

the costumes look bad, star girl looks like Capt america fangirl in shorts and the rest look like bad fanmade outfits but I enjoyed the show overall. Not melodramatic like the other DC shows

8/10 ish
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Nov 2020 12:26:23 15,395 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    You're thinking of A Scanner Darkly.
    Ooh Iíve not seen that in years. Good movie.
  • JoeBlade 15 Nov 2020 19:25:38 5,390 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Queen's Gambit
    Sublime.

It's a short one but I binged it without even realising, it's that good. All of it is fantastic but I daresay that if ATJ particularly manages to keep up this level of acting - or surpass it - she's going to be one of the greats one day.

But yeah, all in all it's just phenomenal, by far the best series I've seen in recent times.
    9/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Nov 2020 22:37:03 15,395 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Farscape
    Where are you watching this?
  • Jono62 15 Nov 2020 22:44:55 26,002 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Farscape - watch tv series streaming online https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/farscape?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android

It's on Prime.

Edited by Jono62 at 22:45:28 15-11-2020
  • Nanocrystal 16 Nov 2020 04:42:55 2,268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Nazo 16 Nov 2020 11:00:51 1,518 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hanzawa Naoki S2 (streaming site)

Financial drama. I love these top tier Japanese dramas, there's no room for the postmodern shades of grey approach taken by so much Western TV here. The bad guys are larger-than-life self-serving corrupt bankers and politicians who cackle maniacally in people's faces when they think they are untouchable and grovel pathetically when they get their comeuppance. Our virtuous hero gives eloquent speeches on the importance of trust and using power to do good in the world, while building the support of those around him and sometimes converting opponents to his cause.
    It's all so wonderfully overacted and over the top, it's basically a modern version of Kabuki theatre.

9/10
  • RawShark 16 Nov 2020 12:47:13 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Vow

At nine episodes long this is quite a slow, gruelling, but in depth examination at the NXIVM movement, the people who were a part of it, and those who left and blew the whistle on allegations of sex trafficking within it. One thing that I found immediately alarming me is that these people must literally record every conversation they have ever had, as the series uses hours and hours of them - there is a lot of obsessive behaviour on display here that gets increasingly disturbing.

My girlfriend got a lot more gripped by this than I did, bingeing the whole series over a weekend. And while I watched most of it, I petered out at points and had little sofa naps during episodes. Towards the end there are blocks that I missed, so donít feel I took enough in to give it a score. But if you want to see the inner workings of a cult and how one man can basically coerce hundreds of people to do his every bidding and even get an audience with the Dalai Lama, this is worth investing your time.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Nov 2020 13:39:20 18,077 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Startup (S3)

They effectively manage to ramp up the stakes in this season, although they mostly remain a pack of awful bastards. The conflict does work well and it's still an enthralling watch. Unfortunately the ending is unsatisfying - especially as there doesn't appear to be another season. Still worth watching though.

7/10
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Nov 2020 18:25:52 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Farscape
    Where are you watching this?
    as mentioned on Prime, just checked it has Peacekeeper wars as well but its tacked on to season 4 section
  • Kay 16 Nov 2020 19:11:51 20,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ted Lasso

I'll admit, I was sceptical. The sketches from a few years back were amusing, but the prospect of a full TV series of the same old shtick seemed like it would get annoying pretty quickly, and the launch trailer didn't exactly look great too. But people kept going on about it in this thread, so I decided to give it a shot.

And I'm glad I did. Yes, it's pretty cliched and often has the feel of a quaint ITV comedy drama, but it's also incredibly charming, uplifting, emotional and genuinely funny too. I already love the Ted Lasso character and can't wait to see more of him. The best comparison I can think of is it's like an adult, football-ey version of the Paddington films, if that makes sense? Or maybe that's just me. But yeah, just fuckin' watch it.

9/10
  • drhickman1983 16 Nov 2020 20:11:04 7,228 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The End of The F**cking World (season 2)

It was fine. Okay.

I rather liked the first season, which has a very definite forward momentu

Here... it just never really gets going for me. It all just feels a bit contrived, and tries to replicate the feeling of the first season and just misses. There's a few nice moments here and there but ultimately it doesn't really add much.

6/10
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Nov 2020 20:11:53 1,608 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Kay I still don't trust any of you on this, it looks really crap.
  • Tomo 16 Nov 2020 20:14:06 18,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey

Agree...
  • Jono62 16 Nov 2020 20:16:24 26,002 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Be careful or you'll get the wrath of Ultrasoundwave.
  • chopsen 16 Nov 2020 20:24:28 21,350 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hate football from the depths of my rectum, and thought ever single thing about Ted Lasso stunk of absolute shit from a mile away.

But it's actually really good. Watch it you pillock.
  • Ultrasoundwave 16 Nov 2020 20:27:27 6,219 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    @Kay I still don't trust any of you on this, it looks really crap.
    No wrath from me today, there is a common trend with Ted Lasso though : the people who havenít seen it think itís crap, and the people who have seen it think itís great.
  • Kay 16 Nov 2020 20:37:13 20,851 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah I think it's one of those "if you watch it and don't like it you probably have no soul" type deals, I'm afraid.
  • Tomo 17 Nov 2020 00:47:20 18,478 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Mole: Infiltrating North Korea - 9/10

Was browsing iPlayer and stumbled upon this. Compelling two-part documentary about a Danish ex-chef who spent ten years as an infiltrator constructing a fictional arms deal with North Korea. He looks a bit like Jonjo Shelvey, albeit with a hidden camera strapped to him at all times Ė the most innocuous bloke to ever become a spy. Highly recommend it if you enjoy reading about crazy goings on in DPRK, or you have an interest in spy activities.
  • RawShark 17 Nov 2020 03:05:24 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím watching Ted Lasso now. Havenít finished yet, but spoiler alert, Iím finding it impossible to hate.

I mean one scene moved Richmond about a mile north of St Paulís, and I still donít care. Maybe because Crystal Palace win. I donít know.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.