Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 333

• TechnoHippy 10 Jan 2021 19:38:56 18,357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Wire (S1)

Always a great show to revisit, although I think they should rename it to 'McNulty is an Asshole'. Fantastic mix of characters, strong story, and an amazing attention to detail that binds it together. There's also some lovely character development, although McNulty remains an asshole to the end.

10 people pissed off by McNulty/10
  • spindle9988 10 Jan 2021 19:53:19 5,190 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    In a sort of reverse rating, there are two series that are generally very rated but I can't get into for the world of me.
    It's not the 'oh look at me being all edgy disliking something popular' thing, I'm not that kind of person; I genuinely couldn't get into these shows.

First: The Good Place
    I've tried it twice, watched as many as 6 episodes but... just no. I don't find it funny or entertaining in any way, even though I can see it's well made.

Second: The Big Bang Theory
    I couldn't even bear one episode. The laugh track completely killed it for me.
    Now, I think laugh tracks generally don't improve a show but I've watched many that had them and that I did enjoy. Say, Father Ted, The IT Crowd or Friends.
    With TBBT though, it seems so overboard it completely removes all my suspension of disbelief and, therefore, enjoyment of the show.

Um, well, that's enough venting for now. Sorry.
    The good place took me a while. I absolutely loved it though.
  • Anthony_UK 10 Jan 2021 22:09:23 3,053 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jack Ryan S2 5/10

The first season wavered towards the end, but was entertaining for the most part. Felt current and pulled just shy or making the islamist "baddies" sympathetic or at least gave them a reason and purpose. The international cast are what made it shine against the likable but bland hero.

Season 2 takes all that was great about season 1, throws it away and puts America firmly back into playing the role of honorable world police. Black Ops guys are unquestionable hero's offing countless legal soilders from another country, all kinds of internal laws are broken which is fine because America is the good and the foreign land needs to be saved by the CIA.
  • anephric 10 Jan 2021 22:17:52 4,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, S2 of Jack Ryan was the embodiment of meh. A shame, considering the first season was semi-decent and I like Krasinski as Ryan.

I could've written a better second season than that. See also: The Punisher.
  • RyanDS 10 Jan 2021 22:53:57 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Life on Mars. Series 1

Just as good as I remember, probably even better. Weird thing is I am nostalgic for a series that is all about nostalgia when it was made.

9/10

Looking forward to 2nd, never got into ashes to ashes.
  • Tomo 10 Jan 2021 23:18:18 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A Teacher - 8/10

Very good. Manages to avoid a lot of cliches you might expect. There is a lot of quite subtle detail in here - it covers a lot of ground and the script is generally great. Wasn't a fan of the final scene. Felt it would've benefited from more episodes/second season.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2021 08:45:06 31,560 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anne with an E S02
    Strange season. First few episodes feel very off, like they're just ticking off boxes from a list of things that made season 1 so great, without knowing how to properly implement them. But then it finds its feet again and it ends up being another fantastic season. Pure dopamine.

I'm looking at houses on PEI as we speak.

A must watch
  • Nemesis 11 Jan 2021 16:48:37 19,876 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Staged2

Thought Id watch a few episodes a day and just sat and watched it right through in one go.

Still funny. Still miserable. Quite a few new faces. Very well done start to finish.

10/10
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Jan 2021 17:05:37 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mandalorian s2

Really enjoyed it, even the one off stories tend to flow a bit more than s1. Some don't like it because its fan service etc but so what its enjoyable and very well done, and there is many shit shows in sci-fi realm at the minute like turd trek discovery. BIG spoiler for the end the deepfake on luke was not good compared to what some at home did and also compared other examples

9/10
  • Dougs 11 Jan 2021 22:30:10 97,448 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Staged2

Thought Id watch a few episodes a day and just sat and watched it right through in one go.

Still funny. Still miserable. Quite a few new faces. Very well done start to finish.

10/10
    I concur. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish (penultimate episode the best imo) and some great cameos.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jan 2021 23:22:04 16,065 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    Staged2

10/10
    I concur. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish (penultimate episode the best imo) and some great cameos.
    I know I reviewed a few pages back but just want to third this. Easily the straight up funniest new tv show Ive watched in ages.
  • RedPanda87 12 Jan 2021 08:08:24 2,103 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lupin

Some good scenes and cons but a lot of it really doesn't hang together with more than a moment's scrutiny, and there was at least one major plot point that required the lead to be unbelievably stupid. Fun though if you're after some light heist/conman entertainment.

6.5/10
  • Zerobob 12 Jan 2021 09:58:10 2,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    Staged2

10/10
    I know I reviewed a few pages back but just want to third this. Easily the straight up funniest new tv show Ive watched in ages.
    Well if 3 people agree, I'm definitely putting it on the list.
  • Jono62 12 Jan 2021 10:44:21 26,345 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not THE LIST!
  • RawShark 12 Jan 2021 11:00:14 1,495 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm currently working my way through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I've gotten to the bit where an ancient entity starts calling everyone "dickhead" (in the dub at least). Can't fault it so far.
  • Jono62 12 Jan 2021 11:05:40 26,345 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cobra Kai S3 - 8/10

Still very enjoyable. Johnny being an 80's throwback is always entertaining.

Would have been 10/10 if Daniel got beaten up more.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jan 2021 14:56:00 16,065 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hilda - seasons 1 & 2

The super wholesome nordic inspired and strangely poshly British voice Netflix cartoon. Its a rewatch of season 1 and a fresh one for season 2. Loved the concept but bounced off the voice acting first time around. This time maybe Im in a better mood or something but everything fell into place. Lovely cosy winters viewing.

8.5/10
  • TechnoHippy 12 Jan 2021 15:58:17 18,357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Wire (S2)

Fucking Ziggy man. McNulty manages to not be the leading asshole in this one, but only just. The change of scenery with the port works well and mixes things up. The procedure is mostly the same, but the new characters and set up makes it all just as interesting as the first series.

10/10
  • Rhaegyr 12 Jan 2021 16:12:09 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even thinking about Ziggy's 30-second 'moment' in the car gives me goosebumps.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Jan 2021 16:14:57 18,357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    He's an asshole, but has some memorable scenes. I still feel sorry for the duck.
  • Rhaegyr 12 Jan 2021 16:29:08 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently Ziggy was loosely based on a real life stevedore who also brought a duck to a bar and used to get his winky out all the time.

David Simon dubbed the character "the angry king of goofs". Perfect.
  • RyanDS 12 Jan 2021 23:24:31 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Life on Mars. Series 1

Just as good as I remember, probably even better. Weird thing is I am nostalgic for a series that is all about nostalgia when it was made.

9/10

Looking forward to 2nd, never got into ashes to ashes.
    And series 2 is another 9/10.

Sam, Gene and Annie are just a perfect trio with some great supporting characters.

Ashes to Ashes worth watching? I really want to know the lore at least.
  • RGeefe 12 Jan 2021 23:30:14 1,623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ashes is so, so difficult to properly like. On the one hand, it makes complete sense and carries on the story logically.

But on the other hand Keeley Hawes is insufferable and the whole show feels far too self aware.

I say do key eps from series 1, completely skip series 2 (or do the last one if you have to) but series 3 really takes it somewhere good towards the end. Daniel Mays absolutely steals the show and it ends as well as you can hope for.

It's a shame because you can see that series 3 of Ashes was supposed to be series 3 of Mars and it would have been fantastic.
  • RyanDS 12 Jan 2021 23:31:44 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Ashes is so, so difficult to properly like. On the one hand, it makes complete sense and carries on the story logically.

But on the other hand Keeley Hawes is insufferable and the whole show feels far too self aware.

I say do key eps from series 1, completely skip series 2 (or do the last one if you have to) but series 3 really takes it somewhere good towards the end. Daniel Mays absolutely steals the show and it ends as well as you can hope for.

It's a shame because you can see that series 3 of Ashes was supposed to be series 3 of Mars and it would have been fantastic.
    Series three of Life on Mars in production apparently. Although I am not sure it will still have the magic now.
  • Daeltaja 13 Jan 2021 00:16:56 1,977 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TechnoHippy if you have access to All4, they have all seasons.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 00:30:46 16,065 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Wire is on All4?

Man for such a nightmare platform to navigate its got a hell of a library
  • Tomo 13 Jan 2021 09:44:40 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah All4 is brilliant. Insane amount of content. UI is pretty bad but still somehow manages to irritate me less than Prime Video.

Edited by Tomo at 09:44:58 13-01-2021
  • Decks 13 Jan 2021 09:53:10 28,417 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Adverts though. In a streaming service. It's tantamount to abuse.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jan 2021 09:55:43 18,357 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Decks That's pretty much why I don't use ALl4 or ITV Hub. The stupid thing is I have them all on DVD, so no excuse except laziness of having to swap disks out :-)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2021 10:02:57 16,065 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I use ITVHub to watch AEW Dynamite and theyve inserted extra ad breaks on top of the frequent ones the original American broadcast had

Its like every five minutes and almost no match or interview goes the distance without being interupted by another break
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.