"The Ring" Page 2

Next Last
  • MrWorf 15 Nov 2002 00:16:54 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
    ok guys... I've just watched ring 0 with d[-_-]b. I have no idea what the film was about. Please can someone enlighten me on a few things:

a: What is Sadako?
    b: Why can't she die
    c: how/why does she split in two?
    d: Why does her father kill her?
    e: Is the dream about the well an predicition about her death?
    f: What happens at the cliff?

Thanks in advance. :)
    SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Edited by Razz at 01:36:36 15-11-2002
  • sam_spade 15 Nov 2002 00:17:49 15,745 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I thought I told you to watch Ring.
  • MrWorf 15 Nov 2002 00:22:13 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I know, I know. But I couldn't find it for a decent price... *ahem*. Please enlighten me on the previous things mate. Please!!!! :)
  • sam_spade 15 Nov 2002 00:42:51 15,745 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Okay people, there will be spoilers in here for those who haven't watched the Ring series. So I suggest you stop scrolling down now.

Ok Razz, I really recommend watching Ring for some enlightenment on some of these points, some of it is explained in Ring although some of it isn't. But I will answer your questions. These may be wrong because I ain't going to sit through it to discover some of the answers especially late at night (I'm a big scaredy cat - I know).

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
    A)She's a goblin but not in the Tolkein sense, more of an evil spirit with human form. B)She can't die because the two parts make the whole, if the one lives, so does the other. C)Her father did it on her birth presumably realising one part was potentially evil and one was potentially good. D)Because she is whole again and has just slaughtered a whole troupe of actors (no bad thing in my book) so he decides to put an end to it (although the presence of Ring and Ring 0 tell you isn't over yet).
    E)Yes the well is premenition, it's also part of the video that kills people in the follow-ups. F)Something very nasty ;)SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Dunno whether you've played Half-Life Razz but did you notice that the music playing when Sadako turns up it is the first track off the Half-Life CD playing. Really tenses up Half-Life for me now.

Edited by sam_spade at 00:43:35 15-11-2002
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 15 Nov 2002 00:48:28 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    "The Ring" is not a typical Hollywood scary movie...although I haven't seen the old ones I get the feeling from you guys comments that they are very similiar-- not a "jump out of the wall" frightfest but rather much more psychological.

There wasn't a single part of the movie where I said "That was stupid!" or "What the fuck is stupid dinosaur doing here?" like I did so many times with Episode 1. The main gripe I have with the movie is that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense at the end. Not sure if the original ended with such a huge question mark, but it only makes me want even more. It was a scary-ass movie, that's for sure.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2002 01:02:45
    SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
    Hi Sam,
    Cheers for that. But one thing, does Sadako truely die at the end? o_0
    Cheers in advance
    SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Edited by d[-_-]b at 01:33:51 15-11-2002
  • sam_spade 15 Nov 2002 09:15:47 15,745 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    You'll have to watch the rest to find out.
  • Polymath 19 Nov 2002 09:42:10 121 posts
    Seen 13 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Greetings all.

Gestalt, I remember having this very conversation on an earlier thread. Too bad we can't simply cut and paste the recommendations.

Re: the Ring.

Original is a Japanese horror film filmed in 1998, I believe, which was monstrously successful.
    Director Hideo Nakata:
    - Joyuu-rei (aka Ghost Actress, aka Don't Look Up)
    - Ringu (aka Ring)
    - Ringu 2 (aka Ring 2)
    - Garasu no nou
    - Kaosu (aka Chaos)
    - Sadistic and Masochistic
    - Honogurai mizu no soko kara (aka Dark Waters) (based on another novel by Suzuki Kji: official site here: http://www.honogurai.com)

Taken from: http://www.mandiapple.co.uk/snowblood/nakatahideofilmo.htm

Most of the people I know who have seen both the original Ring and the current release agree that the original is better. I still say localization makes a great deal of difference. A number of elements that the critics criticize in the american release are to be found in the original. I find those objections to be less glaring in the original, because stylistically, they are elements common to japanese cinema and story telling... and very different from more typical Hollywood horror.

I dare say Japanese Horror retains the essence of the macabre. Blair Witch attempted this. I would say Session 9 retains the sense of mystery true horror demands.

Try Session 9 if you want something different in your horror... after the Ring of course.

Gestalt: did I mention Audition that last discussion? Your thoughts mirror my own. When I rented it, I was expecting a romantic comedy. au contraire!

Re: Beat Takeshi.

Anyone notice how thematically similar sonnatine and brother are? The main difference is the setting, no?

Anyone watch Gonin? =)

He's amazing.
  • quantumsheep 19 Nov 2002 10:14:01 3,128 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    In a sort of related note, I watched Donnie Darko the other night and would recommend it. It does seriously fuck with your head, and would probably reward you more on a second viewing.
    A brief synopsis: How a disturbed teenager comes to terms with the forthcoming end of the world. With time travel. And a freaky bunny...
  • Ciaran 19 Nov 2002 10:23:12 1,070 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I found the original Japanese version of Ring in my local video rental store last night, watched it, and I have to say it's great! Not a droplet of blood to be seen in the whole thing (which is good) but it's a really unsettling and scary as feck movie. I probably shouldn't have watched it alone though. (Had to pop in a Buffy DVD and watch that for half an hour before I went to bed. -Yes, you may all snigger now.)

SPOILER
    ***spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler Sadako coming out of the tv had shivers crawling up my spine like you wouldn't believe! And the well scene was bloody creepy too. spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler***
    END SPOILER

I'm going to try to catch the US remake as well. I'm really curious how that'll turn out.

Cheers,
  • Gestalt 19 Nov 2002 14:20:33 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "Anyone watch Gonin?"

Yup, and Gonin 2. Takeshi's only in the first one IIRC, but they're both directed by Takashi Ishii, who also did Black Angel. I've not seen any of his other films yet, but all three that I've got are really good.

As for Beat Takeshi, apart from Johnny Mnemonic (gnggghhh) pretty much any movie with him in it is worth watching. And yes, I do have Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. ;)
  • Polymath 19 Nov 2002 19:51:39 121 posts
    Seen 13 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Do you include Kikujiro?

I do like the movie, but it's so very far afield of his typical material.

Plug for anime: Anyone watch .hack/sign or Hikaru no Go?
  • Gestalt 19 Nov 2002 20:02:42 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, Kikujiro's really good as well. It's a far cry from his normal gangster movies, but it's got the same twisted sense of humour and slightly surreal edge to it. Not to mention the obligatory beach scene. :)
  • Gestalt 19 Nov 2002 22:07:14 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, well, that goes without saying. ;) But it's still a crap movie, even though it has got Henry Rollins and Beat Takeshi in it.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:38
    Post deleted
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.