SONY VS EG.the hacking aftermath. both credibilty in decline? Page 10

• Feanor 5 May 2011 19:41:33 14,272 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I really liked the old Wipeout sites you used to run.
  • nickthegun 5 May 2011 19:48:01 77,543 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    Stuff

I would love to see your ignore list if the criteria for getting on it is 'not mentally unstable fanboy'
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 5 May 2011 20:05:47 47,496 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I think the problem with why nobody is taking this seriously is that in order to prove a bias against a certain entity, you would have to prove anti-bias against another... which hasn't been done here.

I feel as though if MS had this happen to them, EG would equally be all over it - and I don't see evidence to the contrary. I don't remember all of what EG wrote about the RRoD fiasco, but I don't remember them saying it was a good thing.

So, yeah, maybe EG, like many other publications, have taken the hacking thing too far, but where is the proof that they wouldn't hammer another company equally? Maybe the fact that there have been more negative Sony articles over the course of this gen is purely due to Sony having more overall negative publicity from their own doing?
    You've saved me some time there ronuds, because that's largely what I was going to write.

EG has been very critical of MS in the past, what with the RROD stuff, and I seem to remember them not being too chuffed at the original Xbox's short life span. Equally they have been very fanboyish about Sony's output with the "PS3 is the real next gen" probably being the most memorable article.

Now in regards to the latest fiasco, you've got to bear in mind two things:
    1. This is probably the biggest fuck up in gaming history. It definitely eclipses the RROD shit that went down (and boy did all that royally piss me off at the time). After all ten of millions of people's credit card details were potentially compromised. Now I haven't seen any REAL guarantee from Sony that my CC details aren't in the possession of a criminal, and my personal details definitely are. At least MS haven't done that.
    2. Sony were so miserly with keeping us updated with any real details, and when they did update us all it was via blog post using vague language. So while the likes of you and me worried about our money, EG and many other news sites (including the BBC, Sky and CNN) latched on to what little details they could get and speculated, often wildly. Fact checking fell to the way side for sure, I won't argue that.

I mean how are EG supposed to put any kind of positive spin on this situation when there is nothing to work with? Even the "Welcome back" package is still being questioned... Do we all get PS+ or just current subscribers for instance. Is this enough? Have Sony apologised sufficiently? Kotaku for one suggested not. They announced they were appointing a Chief Information Security Officer - why did that post not exist before all this went down? If not that post then why not an equivalent?

Expect it to be banner news on EG when PSN is back up, but again Sony are leaving us in the dark with no clues when that would be. I suspect if EG tried to defend Sony at the moment they would be laughed off the Internet for being damned ridiculous, and for that same reason you've caught shit from myself and others on here.
  • infoxicated 5 May 2011 20:06:13 1,504 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    I really liked the old Wipeout sites you used to run.
    Assuming you're not being sarcastic; me too.

I regret having left before work was completed on WipEout-game.com, as it was tough convincing Sony to go for that kind of site as opposed to some Flash brochure, but the limitations of what data we could mine with the PSN at the time meant it ended up a bit flat.

Still, it was the first online site to use PSN login credentials and had been built on the basis that PSN login would never be allowed on the internets. We got the clearance to do it in late November 2007 and the site launched with WipEout Pulse in mid-December that year. Worked our socks off to make that happen, but it was a great feeling being first to the table with it. :o)

Just a shame Sony chose to promote the Flash brochure site that had been done alongside it instead... but you can't win 'em all against a corporation that's pretty much set in its ways with some things.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 5 May 2011 20:08:30 47,496 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sidenote: I know the guys and gals who made the latest Wipeout site(s).
  • dunts 5 May 2011 20:13:50 4,342 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    Yeah, I've done this too, but I've only got your posts left.
    Heh! Sorry about that... I do go on a bit. ;o)

Lol, methinks you just completely missed the joke :D

Irony overload.
  • infoxicated 5 May 2011 20:15:51 1,504 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks for taking the time to put together a well worded response, DDevil.
    DDevil wrote:
    Expect it to be banner news on EG when PSN is back up, but again Sony are leaving us in the dark with no clues when that would be. I suspect if EG tried to defend Sony at the moment they would be laughed off the Internet for being damned ridiculous, and for that same reason you've caught shit from myself and others on here.

That's a great point, DDevil - in that regard I can't blame EG for playing to the crowds because most of the audience wouldn't have wanted to read it any other way. Damned if they did, damned if they didn't.

With regard to appointing a Chief Information Security Officer, in a company like Sony, very little gets done unless there's a man at the top shouting about it. For example, back in 2003/4 none of the studios were really thinking about "user created content" until Phil Harrison somewhat optimistically announced that it would "drive our games forward" or some such E3/TGS crowd pleasing rhetoric! Suddenly we were all concepting games that had UCC behind them... until the next big thing came along!

So I'd imagine having someone near the top of the food chain who's preaching security is the best move they could think of for getting every Sony studio & third party to take it seriously.
  • infoxicated 5 May 2011 20:17:14 1,504 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    dunts wrote:
    Lol, methinks you just completely missed the joke :D

Irony overload.
    Maybe I did - I guess my guard was down and I gave someone the benefit of the doubt.

Won't happen again, promise!
  • infoxicated 5 May 2011 20:18:20 1,504 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Sidenote: I know the guys and gals who made the latest Wipeout site(s).
    Really? Which one?

WipEout HD/Fury?
  • Randomlampy 5 May 2011 20:20:07 580 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Stuff what makes sense. (As did Ronuds)

/applause

Genuinely interesting article on bowing too.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 5 May 2011 20:23:38 47,496 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    With regard to appointing a Chief Information Security Officer, in a company like Sony, very little gets done unless there's a man at the top shouting about it. For example, back in 2003/4 none of the studios were really thinking about "user created content" until Phil Harrison somewhat optimistically announced that it would "drive our games forward" or some such E3/TGS crowd pleasing rhetoric! Suddenly we were all concepting games that had UCC behind them... until the next big thing came along!

So I'd imagine having someone near the top of the food chain who's preaching security is the best move they could think of for getting every Sony studio & third party to take it seriously.
    I think really you're talking about something different there though, the user created content thing is more of a business direction or strategy, security should be an absolutely vital day-to-day business role especially when such important information at stake.

And yes, the sites for WipEout HD/Fury. Make by Splinter.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2011 20:35:15
    @infoxicated More Wipeout talk less Sony Defense League.

Sony had soft skin, Anonymous opened the wound, journalists and gamers twisted the knife for the hits and the lulz. But its a big issue, a big screw up and we're talking about online blog journalism at a time when there is nothing else going on pre-E3.

Now lets all hope PSN is back up with free sweet swag soon so all these threads can die away and we get back to the games instead...I've got an online gaming itch that needs scratching.
  • Dirtbox 5 May 2011 20:41:20 91,073 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • infoxicated 5 May 2011 20:47:54 1,504 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    And yes, the sites for WipEout HD/Fury. Make by Splinter.
    Ah yes, I was there when the Splinter guy would come in for meetings, as they did the brochure Wipeout Pulse site that had to be done to appease marketing so that we could do the community site in-house. Studio Liverpool's graphic design team did their bit and Splinter did the Flash build.

Nice folk - we were apprehensive about getting an external agency involved after fighting tooth & nail to do it in-house, but they were great to work with from what I heard. :o)

@Vertical Stand - whatever you say. Not really. ;o)
  • JBlokeUK 5 May 2011 23:08:46 2,310 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    My main issue with eurogamers "reporting" is that is was tabloid journalism, there wasn't proper fact checking and everything was exaggerated far beyond what actually happened.

While they didn't lie, they misrepresented the facts and twisted the truth.
    Was tabloid journalism and still is, but yeah great post and completely agree.

Saying that though I don't think it was like that, say 2 years ago?

The whole negativity towards Sony since the hack is deserved, unfortunately as far as EG goes, the trolling has increased 10 fold.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2011 23:11:22
    It was entertainment journalism really, same kind of levels as all the other entertainment industries.
  • HyperTails 5 May 2011 23:18:08 63 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DDevil is right in his/her points. EG haven't had an entirely lot to go on and have been far less critical than some other websites i've read.

I'm hoping that the old 'Sony bashing' doesn't rear its ugly head again. We all remember how it used to be... and the press kept the wheel turning. I don't expect EG to jump on the old fanboy bandwagon anytime soon, and it may not even happen, but it quite possibly might.

*Sigh* Just put PSN back up Sony. I haven't played Homefront online yet, and my sodding codes will have run out at this rate!
  • abot 6 May 2011 00:16:15 139 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We should all be very critical of Sony...

In US congressional testimony Dr. Gene Spafford of Purdue University said that Sony was using outdated software on its servers and knew about it months in advance of the recent security breaches. According to Spafford, security experts monitoring open Internet forums learned months ago that Sony was using outdated versions of the Apache Web server software, which "was unpatched and had no firewall installed." The issue was "reported in an open forum monitored by Sony employees" two to three months prior to the recent security breaches, said Spafford.

So...

No firewall
    No encryption
    No software updates
    No monitoring
    No listening to their own forum
    No to quality control on their hardware

Certainly trust in Sony is very lacking.

Makes you wonder how many *other* companies we do business with on a day to day basis are just as incompetent in their business practices without us knowing it. Until something like this happens that is.

http://bit.ly/l23xiT

Watch Testimony Here:
    http://bit.ly/lofVdV
  • Retroid Moderator 6 May 2011 02:36:04 45,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    If the moderators can get away with being abusive to regular members then that makes it open season for everyone else.
    Thing is, we *are* just normal users with more buttons. I clocked up over 30,000 posts or so on here well before I was made a Mod, most people know me. I haven't caught much in the way of flack either, apart from some comments trolls who seem to think I'm an employed representative or something.

I don't make purchasing decisions based on EG reviews; I read as many as is required to make a decision.

EG's news reporting *is* tabloid in nature but that doesn't support an inherent bias against Sony. Witness my link to the laughably bad "Real Next Generation" PS3 unveiling article where the writers were utterly and truly suckered by the Sony PR machine in full swing. Take a look at the launch 360 game reviews to see some truly underwhelmed reviewers playing half-arsed games.

Is EG perfect? No.

Is it biased against Sony? No.

Are we moderators against proper debate? No. We just, like a lot of people on these forums, call a spade a spade.
    I don't believe I was alone in thinking there was a debate worth having, but when the moderators set a negative trend and the "EG Fanboys" (as I could easily call those branding me a "Sony fanboy" if I wanted to stoop that low) smelled the blood in the water and that was that.
    You're painting this as 'reasonable debate being spoiled by people who can't stand EG being attacked. That's not what happened.

It's a fanboy point being attacked for lacking substance.
  • spamdangled 6 May 2011 02:44:01 31,738 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    We just, like a lot of people on these forums, call a spade a spade.

Racist ;)
  • infoxicated 6 May 2011 07:25:03 1,504 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And once again, Retroid, you can't help but throw an insult in there to discredit someone you're addressing.

//stoops

Such is the way with you EG Fanboys.
  • warlockuk 6 May 2011 07:41:27 19,491 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The reality, I reckon, is stupidity will prevail. In a week nobody will give a toss, the lawsuits will probably come to fuck all and as soon as PSN is fully operational battlestation people will be back on there as if nothing ever happened. Meh. :)
  • Psychotext 6 May 2011 10:16:35 64,944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No way they can charge for it now. At least not this gen.
  • Retroid Moderator 6 May 2011 13:14:21 45,463 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    And once again, Retroid, you can't help but throw an insult in there to discredit someone you're addressing.

//stoops
    Where? Seriously.

I mentioned "comments trolls" but this isn't the comments section and I wasn't talking about you. Christ's sake.
  • nickthegun 6 May 2011 13:19:56 77,543 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really wouldn't bother. He seems genuinely mental.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 6 May 2011 13:22:04 47,496 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aw don't say that about poor Retroid. He can't help it.
  • nickthegun 6 May 2011 13:24:05 77,543 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you seen his loft? Nutter!!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.