Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror Page 24

• DakeyrasUK 28 Dec 2018 23:05:02 2,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Holy cow, this is great.

So there's got to be more endings than I have seen, but the best (or funniest batshit crazy ending) was definitely from choosing to explain Netflix and fuck yeah to wanting it have more action

Think I had four endings before the credits rolled, though I could be wrong about the first one being an ending ( choosing to accept the job offer and the game getting reviewed 0 stars out of 5 )

My other endings were 1. bat shit crazy fight scene at the shrinks, 2. kill dad and game never gets released, company goes into liquidation, final shot is at prison watching the game show discuss the murder and company shutdown and 3. Kill dad, game gets released unfinished, ends in prison with game getting 2.5 stars out of 5.

Gotta be an ending where it gets 5 out of 5 right?
  • DakeyrasUK 28 Dec 2018 23:24:18 2,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I just did some googling, apparently there are 5 main endings, though another source detailed 8, one of mine wasn't described, but have found that apparently there are over one trillion possible combinations....

Of course you wouldn't have to do all one trillion to see all recorded footage, but with the way it edits on the retries and alters what can be done etc there is a huge amount of variation.

Will give it another go at somepoint, but having to start again is kind making me need to leave it for a while.
  • chrisp 28 Dec 2018 23:39:34 1,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Like the San Junipero reference in the name of the clinic.
  • ZuluHero 29 Dec 2018 02:05:04 7,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK

There's definitely an ending where it gets 5/5
  • ZuluHero 29 Dec 2018 02:11:37 7,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't read any of my spoiler tags if you want to figure it out yourselves. The choice is yours, or is it? 😀

I'm not sure what I make of it. I like how it makes you think you have control, only to flip it so that it's making you pick the choices that will get the proper ending. There are loads of loops as well, but often with ever-so-slight changes. You have to watch out for this as it can change some of the options you get to choose from at those pivotal scenes.

I reached the end where he listens to the game cassette instead of music on the bus which is supposed to signal that you've seen everything. The only thing there might be a different outcome is if you put in different numbers into the phone which I never did, but I feel like I've seen everything and all threads were wrapped up.

Edited by ZuluHero at 02:18:29 29-12-2018
  • ZuluHero 29 Dec 2018 02:16:57 7,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't read any of my spoiler tags if you want to figure it out yourselves.

There may also be another ending when future self puts the rabbit back under the bed of child self but you still choose not to go with the mother on the train, but I suspect that it's just a variation on losing the mother in the train crash outcome.

I also really liked the ending which ended on the black mirror film set, with all the actors on their modern phones, but with Stephan locked into character. This tied in really well with the first false ending where Pearl, Colin's daughter, remaking the game for Netflix.

Edited by ZuluHero at 02:28:13 29-12-2018
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 29 Dec 2018 02:43:26 1,880 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is amazing
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Dec 2018 03:40:22 3,480 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, odd that Netflix started us on season 3, have to check it again and see if they have messed up (or we did). It does explain the difference in expected tone. I don't actually mind Star Trek (not a super fan but it is generally entertaining, even TOS which that ep was 'parodying') but that ep had a horrible first twenty minutes. I will investigate again and see if we can start at the right place. Thanks
  • chrisp 29 Dec 2018 09:23:58 1,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think USS Callister is actually the first ep of series 4.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Dec 2018 09:42:10 10,229 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Callister is in series 4.

There's such an obvious jump in production values between the ones Channel 4 made (1&2) and the Netflix originals (3, 4 and Bandersnatch) but I like it. I doubt think a lot of the later stories would work if they looked like British telly nor some of the early ones without the domesticity of looking so English.
  • hedben2013 29 Dec 2018 09:50:59 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want to read behind the spoiler tags for stuff I've already seen, but not for anything I've yet to see, and it's nigh-on impossible to know which are which. Going to have to blitz it tonight and try to see everything before reading anything about it.

Basically someone needs to do that branching path diagram for all the choices, and the optimal routes to see everything. I'm sure the internet will deliver
  • up_the_ante 29 Dec 2018 10:29:14 1,019 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed it to start with, and I was fully on board for the first two thirds, but by the end it just turned in to a frustrating mess.
  • chrisp 29 Dec 2018 10:35:29 1,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Once you see the post-credits scene with Stefan sitting on the bus listening to the Bandersnatch tape that is, I believe, an indication that you’ve seen all the main content (but not every possible minor variation of course).

The only ending that seems to take you out of the episode without the option to retry anything is the one where you join your Mum on the train. I got that on my first playthrough before I had seen a lot of the alternative content whereas on my second playthrough I saw a lot of new stuff before triggering that ending, and then I got the scene referred to in my first paragraph.

The more I think about Bandersnatch, the more I think it’s really quite brilliant (although still not in the same league as something like White Christmas).

Edited by chrisp at 10:36:43 29-12-2018
  • ZuluHero 29 Dec 2018 11:30:22 7,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Amazed you got that ending on your first go!

Having slept on it, I think that is the proper Black Mirror 'ending'.

The reason I think that is; everything stems from that moment, where his life fractures into multiple choices. If you imagine he is like the game himself, when he goes back in time and returns his rabbit and his child self goes with his mother, he crashes (or dies) in the psychiatrist office exploring that path, both literally and figuratively, like his game did on so many occasions. It's an unfinished path, one that can never be finished because he should have died as a child. That's why the crashing game featured so heavily, for the viewer to draw a parallel (something black mirror does all the time!) I didn't think it was possible to get to that ending without exploring all of the options that explains what is going on though?

The rabbit, I think, is also a homage to Alice in Wonderland, this rabbit hole is deep. There are other similarities, Colin's white hair for instance, and if you follow him he basically fills you in with a lot of what is going on. He also tells Kissy (or Missy?) that Stefan is "in the hole" which cements it in my mind.

I really think that trying to complete the game and give it 5/5 is a red herring, it isn't really about the game, but people who want to game it can try and get that ending, which is why you get the 'false' ending with credits and stuff. The reason I think that is because the game actually gets pulled from sale when they discover his dead father. Its only when Colin's Daughter, Pearl, is tasked with making it (for Netflix) does it become a bit like a documentary - a bit like the one on the creator of Bandersnatch (Jeff Minter no less!) that Colin taped for Stefan to watch. Which incidentally has loads of subversive whispering in the background saying how there is "no choice".

The more I think about it the better it gets. I love how they managed to get all the different threads into the show that was supposed to be in the Bandersnatch book; such as The conspiracy thread and the PAX demon worship thread

I also loved how the mirror featured as well, as Colin says, mirrors are a bridge between realities and by touching the mirror you could change the outcome, just like we were doing on our own "black mirrors" (or our phone / tablet screens) to 'control' the episode. There are loads of meta references!

Really great Episode!

Edited by ZuluHero at 20:44:21 29-12-2018
  • arty 29 Dec 2018 12:59:01 544 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got a few endings but don't think I had the bandersnatch music on the bus.

On a retro note. Can't help feel Colin Ritman is a reference to Jon Ritman. And Stefan Butler is a reference to Simon Butler. Maybe? And then there was the cameo by Jeff Minter.
  • HairyArse 29 Dec 2018 15:54:38 1,254 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can someone tell me what happens when you choose Stefan instead of Colin in the flat balcony scene?
  • McGeeza 29 Dec 2018 16:10:47 1,963 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @HairyArse You die and get to rewind to the visit doctor/follow Colin choice.
  • ZuluHero 29 Dec 2018 21:01:00 7,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Basically someone needs to do that branching path diagram for all the choices, and the optimal routes to see everything. I'm sure the internet will deliver
    And it does!

https://m.imgur.com/a/bQeXSYm
  • chrisp 29 Dec 2018 23:25:25 1,141 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hadn’t spotted that the glyph/White Bear symbol is hidden in the window formation of Stefan‘s house.

So many Easter eggs in this!
  • SnackPlissken 29 Dec 2018 23:42:13 970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I would have been happy with the daughter doc ending everything else didn’t seem as satisfying for me. I don’t know why it just like that was a good twist. The dad and pax stuff was interesting though.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2018 01:34:11
    Brilliant in some ways but frustrating in others for me.

Played through, first trying not to murder dad and then trying at least not to chop him up, always ending in failure and Stefan striking off the branch as a dead end on his chart. Finally did all the horrible things, the game gets 5/5, and he’s shown happily finishing off his code with the severed head on his desk, before declaring the key to his success was giving the player the illusion of choice while only he decided the ending. At that point it felt like a dark, satisfying, complete conclusion.

But then it wasn’t over. There was the post credits bit with Pearl remaking the game, nice little Easter egg, fine. But then it started getting me to go through every possible ending, which destroyed the finality of the first one.

First it got me to redo the computer screen so I chose Netflix and ended up with a pretty amusing scene - would have been fine in a different order but just felt weird following up what felt like the “real” ending before it.

Then it got me to redo taking the photo to bed - slightly different dream sequence then the exact same scenes from there to the ending as the first time around (including the modern day remake bit) - maybe there were some subtle differences but I didn’t see any at all.

But then came the pay off - having seen both versions of the book / photo dream, a new option appeared putting the two together to allow him to fetch the rabbit from the safe and ultimately join his mother on the doomed train journey - once again a proper conclusion that would have been a fine ending.

But it didn’t stop there as I ended up on one final run through choosing PAC on the safe and finding out his whole life was a big science experiment, before ending with a middling 2.5 star review after being arrested for murdering dad again. And that was the deeply unsatisfying final final ending I got before the bus journey with game music.

I wish I’d clicked “go to end credits” after one of the properly satisfying endings, or that the choice was formatted differently at this point to really emphasise that this is the end, but if you want to see what could have happened with different choices you can go do that. Instead it kind of pulled me through every possible ending in no particular order, which detracted from the impact for me.
  • Razz 30 Dec 2018 02:03:13 598 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I did not expect that to be good at all. Silly me. Body hell that was good.

I saw almost everything but the kill dad path and completed with the "go with mother" option on first palythrough like some others.
    I want to play again to see murderous path. Netflix path was hilarious, want to do again to jump through the window.
  • hedben2013 30 Dec 2018 08:19:30 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was convinced I'd found some more 5-digit codes to enter apart from the main one it makes really obvious.

There's binary numbers on a scrap of paper on Stefan's wall, shown just before he talks to the computer, that convert to either 20436 or 20485 depending on whether you include or exclude one that's also bender's apartment number/an ascii dollar

...but I entered them and nothing happened. Maybe I have to have seen all the endings first?
  • drhcnip 30 Dec 2018 13:08:20 6,233 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    this is just brilliant...quite, quite awesome....

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a25705831/black-mirror-bandersnatch-easter-egg-secret-ending-nohzdyve-playable-game-nosedive/
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 15:50:02 10,229 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've had a few endings so far

1.game flops
    2.kill dad, get busted go to jail, no game released, daughter works on game
    3.kill dad, game released, jail, daughter
    4.show Netflix, to studio, get confused trying to climb out of window

I've no idea how earlier choices will effect what else opens.

It's brilliant.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 16:21:48 10,229 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Since it kept winding me back I got another few variations of the above including PACS but eventually got to an ending where the rabbit is retrieved and Stefan goes with his mam on the train and dies in the therapist office.

That last one felt most like a real full stop (canonical?) ending and it gave me listening to the game tape on the bus and a full set of credits with no option to rewind.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2018 20:20:44
    This is fucking awful. Has about the same level of choice and freedom as Fable 1 or your average Bethesda game.

Actually made me angry watching it. Complete shit.

70% of the shit I selected resulted in a rewind and linear choice.

Bored most of the time.

Like the last series, it's gone well downhill.
  • Deleted user 30 December 2018 20:31:54
    Thank fuck it has finished.

Pretentious wank. All the depth of a puddle of Stephan's piss.
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Dec 2018 21:04:14 6,043 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Did it make you shake with anger

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.