Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror Page 25

• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 21:13:53 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Having gone the murder path I'd like to see what differences come the other way.

My only criticism would be that I wish I'd seen more of the Son of Rambow and the game itself
  • Jyzzy-Z 30 Dec 2018 21:15:37 3,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Did it make you shake with anger
    No
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 21:21:23 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't get why you feel so betrayed by it, obviously the branching paths are going to lead to a finite number of endings. It's inspired by an Ian Livingstone type structure and plays out a lot like that
  • Jyzzy-Z 30 Dec 2018 21:25:38 3,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't feel betrayed, it was just tedious and incredibly dull.

Finite endings is cool, but the first 3-4 decisions I made ended up in a rerun and linear choice, which just pissed me off.

A noble experiment but a complete disaster and failure imo.
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Dec 2018 21:26:30 4,303 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yeah, I would understand not liking the writing, or acting, but the mechanic it used is pretty much unlike anything we've had before, is (I thought) undeniably clever and it is clearly integral to the whole thing
  • Jyzzy-Z 30 Dec 2018 21:31:51 3,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The worst insult I can give it is that it reminded me of a mid to late 00's RPG where you're given 'choices' which amount to getting a different cutscene or two now and again.

So well done to Brooker for bringing that to TV 15 years later. I suppose that's progress of some sort.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 21:33:13 30-12-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Dec 2018 21:51:12 4,303 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    But it's about an 80s RPG game so that's not an insult and clearly what he was going for...
  • askew 30 Dec 2018 21:52:33 18,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was pretty impressed with the tech. How was there no buffering when you made a choice? 🤔
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Dec 2018 22:03:29 4,303 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    askew wrote:
    I was pretty impressed with the tech. How was there no buffering when you made a choice? 🤔
    I gotta be honest the 80s music got me by the junk and hooked me straight in. Maybe that made it easier to love it but, like a lot of kids in North America in the 80s, I was obsessed with British music, even if I am a little younger than the protagonist / Brooker
  • Frogofdoom 30 Dec 2018 22:24:53 11,264 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hated 80's music but that didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the episode.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 22:27:28 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TellTale converted Minecraft Storymode Season 1 into being a viable interactive Netflix show before they went under. Presumably Bandersnatch is using something very similar if not TellTale's actual TV choice engine/technology.

And considering I always found the "gameplay"/puzzle elements of TellTale or Quantic games annoying as they got in the way of making dialogue and story choices then getting rid of them and creating an interactive narrative TV show was always going to appeal directly to me.
  • ZuluHero 30 Dec 2018 22:30:24 6,927 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    The worst insult I can give it is that it reminded me of a mid to late 00's RPG where you're given 'choices' which amount to getting a different cutscene or two now and again.

So well done to Brooker for bringing that to TV 15 years later. I suppose that's progress of some sort.
    Sounds like you got it to me. The whole choice thing is an illusion. That's pretty much the point it was trying to make.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Dec 2018 22:43:55 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Getting away from the structure of the show I'm having a fun evening diving back into bedroom coding 80s British gaming.

A real YouTube rabbit hole starting with stuff like Kim Justice and deep diving from there.

I was slightly too young to have been anything other than a schoolboy consumer but it's so nice going into a more innocent age of weird creativity.
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2018 23:11:23 16,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just "finished" Bandersnatch. Thought it was pretty great. Not sure I totally got all the implications in the dialogue, but I enjoyed my time with it thoroughly. Very interested to watch my GF try it out and see how it pans out for her.

Credit to Netflix for giving this kind of stuff the greenlight.
  • wizbob 31 Dec 2018 02:12:58 903 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Tuckersoft website is clearly a labour of love. Some of the game inlay cards and descriptions had me crying with laughter;

Tuckersoft Softography

Developers Wanted

I haven't seen Bandersnatch but it all makes me think of that moment from 'The Rise and Fall of Imagine Software' where a nervous young Joffa Smith demos Pud-Pud to some Thatcherite sales guys in shiny suits.

Incidentally, here is Bandersnatch.
  • hedben2013 31 Dec 2018 09:31:52 904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wizbob That documentary looks great, will give it a watch later thanks

I've seen enough of Bandersnatch now to give it a rest for a couple of weeks... seen all the endings but I stupidly selected "Reset" once when I wanted to go back to the start, and skipped past the warning about it forgetting what I'd already seen, so now I'm not sure which paths I need to revisit to properly 100% it.

Still convinced there's more to that numeric entry bit than just the doctor's number....
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2018 09:33:45 6,927 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If its any consolation nobody else has found anything yet, any other numbers (even if they seem significant) just goes to the other path.
  • hedben2013 31 Dec 2018 09:37:52 904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, maybe I'm just sore because I thought I'd found something before anyone else but it didn't work. Or maybe it would have worked but only on certain choice paths leading up to that bit...
  • cowell 31 Dec 2018 10:36:24 1,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not classic BM but still a very worthy and lovingly crafted piece of work.

Wonder if EG might give it any sort of coverage? It feels significant enough to cover but I suspect it will be old news by the time they get back in the office
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2018 11:04:16 6,927 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't everything old news by the time EG report it? Zing!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2018 11:23:13 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Isn't everything old news by the time EG report it? Zing!
    HAY-OH
  • JamboWayOh 31 Dec 2018 11:40:26 10,768 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    Not classic BM but still a very worthy and lovingly crafted piece of work.

Wonder if EG might give it any sort of coverage? It feels significant enough to cover but I suspect it will be old news by the time they get back in the office
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a long, rambling rant on the forum or the front page by someone bemoaning why there aren't an abundance of articles during the Christmas period. There's always at least one poster.
  • Frogofdoom 31 Dec 2018 12:28:31 11,264 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would do I but I'm not back from Christmas break until Wednesday. If it's not sorted by then there will be hell to pay.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2018 14:11:36 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Would love to see Ian Higton doing a video remembering the games and culture of the Speccy and Commodore days with this as a jumping off point
  • hedben2013 31 Dec 2018 14:22:29 904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't normally post links to Reddit but this is useful for anyone wanting to skip around or see particular bits of Bandersnatch without the faff:

Reddit forum post on Netflix timestamps

Also, the Tuckersoft website linked above apparently changes according to what you've seen- eg. the Nozedyve game says "based on real life events" if you made Colin jump
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Dec 2018 15:13:46 8,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It said that for me but I was using a device that had never had Netflix installed. Unless it's an IP thing somehow.
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2018 15:29:02 6,927 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @hedben2013

I never actually linked the game to the event, such an obvious one! Doh!
  • hedben2013 31 Dec 2018 16:17:30 904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I doubt it's an IP thing but some folks in the thread I read at That Other Place said it might be randomised if it doesn't find anything on the device being used to view it
  • hedben2013 31 Dec 2018 16:24:29 904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ZuluHero There's so much going on it's easy to miss obvious stuff, I hadn't twigged about Pax sounding like P.A.C.S. (Program And Control ?System? I think it says on one one of the folders... until this morning
  • FWB 1 Jan 2019 17:16:52 55,499 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I liked it. The jumping back to parts which then made references to things you had just done did make it a little difficult to identify if you'd really hit an ending or not, but all becomes clear after reading online.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.