Bitcoin Page 3

Next Last
  • mal 19 Dec 2013 03:32:24 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And there's also Terracoin. God knows if any of these others will take off though.
  • Load_2.0 15 Feb 2014 14:00:56 29,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Another hack, another vulnerability exploited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26187725
  • senso-ji 19 Feb 2014 16:52:59 9,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bitcoin has dropped to $250 a pop at Mt Gox amid fears the company will go bankrupt. If you're feeling brave, now is the time to snap some up (assuming you'll be allowed to withdraw them, of course). Bitstamp is trading a coin for $640 each.
  • DarmokJalad 25 Feb 2014 13:06:33 63,703 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nope. MT.gox isn't the be all and end all of bitcoin. A lot of poeple lost disgusting amounts of money, but from what I've read the feeling is that bitcoin is better off without MT.gox.
  • Benno 25 Feb 2014 13:08:34 11,721 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I wouldn't put too much stock on what's posted on the bitcoin reddit. Anything slightly negative about bitcoin gets downvoted to oblivion. Its a massive circlejerk there if I ever saw one.
  • senso-ji 25 Feb 2014 13:11:24 9,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd remain cautious about Bitcoin until we find out why exactly Mt Gox decided to go offline and close all it's communication channels. If it's amajor hack, then it deserves to be made public so that other Bitcoin exchanges can fix the bugs in the system. It might be something more sinister, though.
  • Benno 25 Feb 2014 13:12:38 11,721 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It reads like some sort of addicts page. Really is quite embarassing. A personal favourite from someone who lost some coins on Mt Gox:

About 14 coins. And it happens to be the last 14 coins my wife will ever let me invest in bitcoin. She wants nothing to do with it now. Not for investing, not for spending -- nothing. And it's a damned shame.

I love how all the other bitcoin companies got together to say that their money was safe. Did they think that would help people like me? Do they think my wife cares?

I love this community - I've been an evangelist since the early days - but no amount of guarantees or proof of solvency is ever going to win her trust back. And it kills me - because I know I'm not the only one who will be affected in this way.

Edit: And let me add that this was her money, from her savings acct. $8,500 gone.
  • Load_2.0 25 Feb 2014 13:21:23 29,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The problem is that it is a community that by it's nature shies away from interference from government or established regulation and diligence.
    Coupled with the fact that it now has ties with and the interest of criminal organisations thanks to sites like Silkroad.

The police don't seem to have taken much interest in these massive thefts so plenty of dodgy basement dwellers feel they can have a crack with relative impunity.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Feb 2014 13:53:02 22,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    huh_what wrote:
    Why would they?

A bunch of idiots lost their glorious Fake-O-Bucks which they used actual bucks to by. Why would the law give a shit what fools do with their money?

Their magic beans turned out to be magic beans.
    What makes all of the money we use any more legitimate than Bitcoins? As long as vendors will accept them then they are a completely legitimate form of payment. These thefts are no different to someone robbing a bank through electronics means, really.
  • crazy-mac 25 Feb 2014 13:57:06 5 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

What makes all of the money we use any more legitimate than Bitcoins? As long as vendors will accept them then they are a completely legitimate form of payment. These thefts are no different to someone robbing a bank through electronics means, really.
    Absolutely, currency is based on trust alone, but with all the news and media buff we're seeing here, the trust base is kinda shaky I'd say
  • brokenkey 25 Feb 2014 14:18:27 10,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    crazy-mac wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

Absolutely, currency is based on trust alone, but with all the news and media buff we're seeing here, the trust base is kinda shaky I'd say
    I'm going to write to my MP demanding a bail out like that time my savings in Iceland were similarly stolen.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Feb 2014 14:29:53 22,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    crazy-mac wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

Yeah, it is. It's currently the equivalent of a bank being given a drop in ratingby the (stupid fucking useless pointless) rating agencies.
  • Trowel 5 Nov 2018 09:24:28 22,645 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago

Edited by Trowel at 09:41:10 05-11-2018
  • richarddavies 5 Nov 2018 09:26:36 6,808 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has your account been hacked?
  • Zomoniac 5 Nov 2018 09:34:51 10,034 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Elon Musk is genuinely giving away Bitcoin right now.

http://spacex.plus/
    He really isn't. As much as it seems like the kind of PR stunt you can imagine the cockweasel doing, that site is registered to an anonymous entity in Panama, and the recent transactions on the page is literally a typed out, hard-coded table.
  • Trowel 5 Nov 2018 09:40:23 22,645 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, ignore that - Twitter were pushing it as genuine sponsored content.
  • Tonka 5 Nov 2018 11:49:49 29,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bitcoin, like all pyramid schemes, works best if you got in early. Can be a real shitter if you didn't.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.