Eurogamer SUKZ ROX

  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 11:36:51
    Eurogamer, as with many other game review sites, tends to focus on games produced by the smokestack military industrial complex. While it has dabbled with Japanese and Eastern-European games, it struck me rather hard today that free games are rarely given exposure at either the preview or review level. Given the quality of many free online games and the excellent quality of many so-called mods, why has Eurogamer ignored this potentially rich vein?
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 11:40:16 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Maybe because they're free and so we stand nothing to lose by trying them out.

    40 is a lot of cash to be forking out and I know which ones I'd rather be warned about.

    Maybe an article once every six months wouldn't go amiss.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2002 11:45:33 23,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Perhaps that is where the forum will come into play?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 14:27:10
    sam_spade wrote:
    Maybe because they're free and so we stand nothing to lose by trying them out. 40 is a lot of cash to be forking out and I know which ones I'd rather be warned about. Maybe an article once every six months wouldn't go amiss.

    Funny, I thought a review was supposed to flesh out what a game is about and its level of quality. While relevant, price is a secondary consideration. Just because a game is free doesn't mean it isn't any good. In some respects free games are of equal or better quality than commercial releases. A little heat from the free games might light a fire under the companies that think games as tiresome as NOLF2 are good enough.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2002 14:32:17 23,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    A little heat from the free games might light a fire under the companies that think games as tiresome as NOLF2 are good enough.

    I enjoyed NOLF2, it was well put together and entertaining, perhaps a little short.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 14:36:27
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    I enjoyed NOLF2, it was well put together and entertaining, perhaps a little short.

    Hum-drum and low density level design made for an experience that was less than interesting and contributed to the experience being short. In other words it was subjectively perceived as short because it was empty.

    Edited by Feersum Boundah at 14:36:49 11-11-2002
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 14:38:27 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FB, so which games do you enjoy/like/admire etc? Or even currently play?
  • gizmo 11 Nov 2002 14:38:59 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    In fact, only last night I switched off GTA Vice city to play my favorite freeware game, 'shoot the red blob with the green dot'
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2002 14:39:45 23,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    I enjoyed NOLF2, it was well put together and entertaining, perhaps a little short.

    Hum-drum and low density level design made for an experience that was less than interesting and contributed to the experience being short. In other words it was subjectively perceived as short because it was empty.

    Edited by Feersum Boundah at 14:36:49 11-11-2002

    Well no, it was short because I completed it in a short period of time and didn't exactly feel like playing through again, however while I was playing it I did enjoy it.

    Not quite Thief but it was quite a good sneak-em-up and the technology was good and I liked the fact that head shots were instant kills regardless.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Nov 2002 14:43:08 40,158 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum, links please, if there are really mods and free games better than Nolf2, I shall refrain from buying games from now on. I am (admittedly) not quite up to date with the mod scene atm, as I experienced in the past that even the most ambitious free games/mods (They Hunger, for example) don't do it for me usually.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Nov 2002 14:46:55 40,158 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    gizmo wrote:
    In fact, only last night I switched off GTA Vice city to play my favorite freeware game, 'shoot the red blob with the green dot'

    How dare you! "Shoot the red blob with the green dot" $uxx0rs!

    "Save the green dots with your fantastic Flying Red Dot" is the game to play!
  • jaa 11 Nov 2002 16:44:00 962 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    FB, so which games do you enjoy/like/admire etc? Or even currently play?

    Yep, that's the million dollar question that he never answers...
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 16:58:17 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Apparently he's a *games designer* so of course he doesn't play games.
  • DocX 11 Nov 2002 17:01:46 1,963 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I doubt he has any interest in games; he just looks for forums in which to drop tedious pearls of wisdom. Lucky us, eh?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 17:12:50
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    Well no, it was short because I completed it in a short period of time and didn't exactly feel like playing through again, however while I was playing it I did enjoy it.

    Short does not always refer to absolute time or spatial characteristics. Lack of interest and density provides for a more diluted experience and less replayability.

    jaa wrote:
    ssuellid wrote:
    FB, so which games do you enjoy/like/admire etc? Or even currently play?

    Yep, that's the million dollar question that he never answers...

    Not true. I've answered that on a number of occassions. As for what games I enjoy, I think enjoy is less accurate than endure. Aside from Deus Ex 2, nothing of any real consequence has come out since Tombraider 2.

    Edited by Feersum Boundah at 23:56:52 11-11-2002
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 17:14:01 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Why bother with games then?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 17:17:12
    ssuellid wrote:
    Why bother with games then?

    Why bother with anything? A partial answer would be I find elements of some games interesting and enjoyable, even if the overal experience is an exercise in filtering mediocrity.
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 17:21:52 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I dont generally bother with anything I don't enjoy - seems like a waste of life to me.

    I suppose it depends on what you want out of games - personally its enjoyment. I know most games are derivative but I don't care as long as I enjoy them. Games that have been intended to be innovative have generally turned out to be highly disapointing - e.g. B&W

    Edited by ssuellid at 17:22:45 11-11-2002
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 17:33:11
    ssuellid wrote:
    I dont generally bother with anything I don't enjoy - seems like a waste of life to me.

    It's a matter of perspective. Mine is that I enjoy "reverse-engineering" a games design and speculating about how it might've been better. It is an aesthetic and intellectual exploration. Again, I'm only giving you a partial answer. But, in assuming I don't like games, you're using too broad a brush. While I don't like games because they're crap, I like the idea and potential of games. It's a shame they don't live up to it.

    Games that have been intended to be innovative have generally turned out to be highly disapointing - e.g. B&W

    Yes, I'll agree with that. In part I believe the reason is that people don't take time to polish their ideas or implementations. Just because a technology allows you to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. In that respect most games can be considered beta.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Nov 2002 20:47:58 40,158 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mine is that I enjoy "reverse-engineering" a games design and speculating about how it might've been better. It is an aesthetic and intellectual exploration

    Holy, I fear you take games too seriously. I prefer aesthetic and intellectual exploration in other areas rather then wasting them on videogames, but to each his own. Games are so far behind literature, for example, that it's not worth bothering with them on the same intellectual level. You seem to me like someone watching Top Of the Pops and complaining Britney Spears doesn't have the depth of a Schubert string quartet.

    edit: I understand this (games being somewhat shallow) is what you complain about - but why then bother with games at all, when you'll find all the fully used potential and intellectually and aesthetically satisfying content in other media? Why not rather study Bach? Goethe? Shakespeare? Coltrane? Cervantes? Dante Alighieri? Vermeer? Goya?

    Edited by UncleLou at 21:05:48 11-11-2002
  • eviltobz 12 Nov 2002 10:14:55 2,511 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    I like the idea and potential of games. It's a shame they don't live up to it.

    I tend to feel the same way. Its a strange feeling to be really interested in so many games, and yet know that they will fall far too short in the overall enjoyment that they provide. Still, it doesn't stop me getting em :)
  • Deleted user 12 November 2002 11:56:06
    UncleLou,

    As I mentioned in two previous posts, I've only given a partial answer. Neither games nor the finer arts are mutually exclusive. What is lacking is the mediums ability to carry content.

    eviltobz,

    More and more people seem prepared to articulate such statements. This can only be a good thing for games and gaming.

    duncan,

    Keep 'em coming! Potted reviews of about a paragraph long tend to spark a little more interest.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:50:19
    Post deleted
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.