Fellowship Collectors Ed

First Previous
  • Nemesis 11 Nov 2002 13:32:10 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Morning Morning.

Rite, here we go there. I'm sitting here with the Collectors Edition and, as I know some of you are gonna get it, I'll give you some details to whet the ol' appetite. First thing to remember is that the actual DVD within the boxed set is the same as the SE sold seperately.

Box.

Big. Alan Lee design, very nice. This has been out on the stands for a while, so you've probably seen it already. The back of the box is covered with a paper slip detailing the DVD contents, remove this and there's a brilliant picture on the back of the lake, the sides are of the Argonath Kings. Open the box and we get...

Packing.

Big block of plastic holding everything in. Give it a tug and then....

Bookends.

These are the babies you're spending the money on. Polystone bookends, sculpted and made by Weta. When dismantling the packing, there's a cardboard slip behind the bookends which is a mountain backdrop, were you to use these as ornaments. WELL worth the money, beautifully sculpted. They are about 16cm high, 13cm in length and 7cm in width. WICKED. Now we move onto the...

DVD.

This comes in a deep green case, which resembles a leather hardback book. Back cover is the doors of Durin. Slide out the case and you get another Alan Lee drawing, just a small design. The DVD case opens out into 5 sections, one for the book, one for each of the DVD's. Inside DVD cover has a Fellowship map detailing the journey. Cool.

Book.

Quite small about 7 pages, containing a foreword, scene index, and Appendices maps.

DVD.

Each disk has pencil artwork on it, ranging from Bag End to Lothlorien and, taking the disk out, behind it is more pencil art. Very nice.

OK, let's get this thing loaded up. I'm testing on a component based Tosh 220 DVD player, Sony DTS 5.1 surround and a 32" Tosh Pictureframe TV. Both the Theatrical and Collectors come on anamorphic widescreen.

The SE introduction is different, a Tolkien style book opens with your options to play, special features, scene selection and setup. All the introduction sounds are using the surround. Setup options are DD EX, DTS ES, Stereo, English Subs. We'll go with DTS.

Wahoo! You're gonna love this. Comparing the TR with the SE is like WOW. Listening to the Last Alliance battle is like listening to it for the first time. Much clearer definition of speech, much more sounds coming through the rear speakers, and much more going on. Arrows going from from to back, the defeat of Sauron will have your neighbours knocking on the walls!

Jesus, this thing'll keep you going for a while. The film is split across 2 disks and has FOUR commentaries from the Director, writers, design teams, post production, cast.

The last two disks contain all the fancy stuff which I guess we'll have to cover at another point, but it's got stuff like documentaries, interactive maps, images, storyboards, principal photography, editing, music.

Anyone reading through to the end of this well done - now go get it!
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2002 13:35:48 23,487 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Can I comment on how crap the film was here? ;)
  • DocX 11 Nov 2002 13:37:32 1,963 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nice post Nem. Consider it ordered & yes, I am getting it for the bookends.
  • Alastair 11 Nov 2002 13:45:10 24,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just checked my Play account and it was despatched on 8th.
    Note - that's the 4 disc director's cut jobby rather than the collector's edition.
  • Nemesis 11 Nov 2002 13:46:18 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Sleep - if you want to, not everyone would agree, although I know some that would ! ;-)

Doc - Cheers mate. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Bookends. They are sitting either side of my screen and COOL OR WHAT. Love 'em.
  • Khab 11 Nov 2002 13:49:04 6,583 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well, I ordered mine a long time ago (well, alright, two weeks ago then), and I sure am hoping it'll be here by tomorrow, or there'll be words.

It sound luvverly, tho. Can't wait to play with my new bookends!
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 13:51:17
    Nemesis wrote:
    First thing to remember is that the actual DVD within the boxed set is the same as the SE sold seperately.

The same?

Comparing the TR with the SE is like WOW. Much clearer definition of speech, much more sounds coming through the rear speakers, and much more going on.

Not the same.

The SE introduction is different, a Tolkien style book opens with your options to play, special features, scene selection and setup.

Ummm, did someone put a film in the box?

The film is split across 2 disks and has FOUR commentaries from the Director, writers, design teams, post production, cast. ... The last two disks contain all the fancy stuff which I guess we'll have to cover at another point, but it's got stuff like documentaries, interactive maps, images, storyboards, principal photography, editing, music.

This is no different to what is in the Extended version.

Lord of the Rings 16.99
    Lord of the Rings Extended Version 24.99
    Lord of the Rings Collectors Edition 39.99

Personally, I'd rather just buy the film and have the fluff as a seperate purchase. I somehow doubt the polystyrene bookends are worth 15.00, and I can't see the additional material being worth 8.00.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2002 13:56:06 23,487 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's crap imo, nuff said :D - I will expand on that when I get a second :)
  • Nemesis 11 Nov 2002 13:57:33 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The same?

With the huge box, you're basically paying for the bookends and the designed box. The actual Special Edition DVD and the Collectors Edition are EXACTLY the same.

This is no different to what is in the Extended version.

As the man says, this is correct.

I somehow doubt the polystyrene bookends are worth 15.00, and I can't see the additional material being worth 8.00.

Well, that depends. I like 'em, I think they are worth the outlay, but you don't have to buy the collectors edition so if you don't want 'em, don't buy 'em.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 14:06:35
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    It's crap imo, nuff said :D - I will expand on that when I get a second :)

I'm of the mind that the popularity of LotR and merchandising has more to do with the effects of marketing than any particular merits of the film and spin-off products.
  • Gestalt 11 Nov 2002 14:37:40 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Alastair wrote: - "Just checked my Play account and it was despatched on 8th. Note - that's the 4 disc director's cut jobby rather than the collector's edition."

Git. They only sent mine out yesterday, so it could be a couple more days before it arrives. Oh well, I've got my Band Of Brothers tin and Red Dwarf Season 1 discs to go through in the meantime. :)
  • terminalterror 11 Nov 2002 17:05:06 18,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gestalt wrote:
    Alastair wrote: - "Just checked my Play account and it was despatched on 8th. Note - that's the 4 disc director's cut jobby rather than the collector's edition."

Git. They only sent mine out yesterday, so it could be a couple more days before it arrives. Oh well, I've got my Band Of Brothers tin and Red Dwarf Season 1 discs to go through in the meantime. :)

Hehe, my copy was also sent out on the 8th, it's all a conspiracy.

The extended version is supposed to be 29.99 (see gameplay for example), so the book ends are 10 extra
  • Khab 12 Nov 2002 00:15:44 6,583 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    [Lord of the Rings Collectors Edition 39.99

w00t! I bought mine for 37. *sniggers in the dark* :D
  • clapton-is-God 12 Nov 2002 00:51:34 47 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    saw the se version in hmv for 25 quid.
    but can anyone honestly say that the se version is better than the standard version, or are fans being conned ?

Edited by clapton is God at 07:54:49 12-11-2002
  • Khab 12 Nov 2002 01:27:39 6,583 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think we'll have to wait 'til someone has actually SEEN the Extended Version(TM) until we can make a judgment on that...
  • Alastair 12 Nov 2002 08:46:50 24,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gestalt wrote:
    Git. They only sent mine out yesterday, so it could be a couple more days before it arrives.

Didn't say it had turned up yet though!
  • Gestalt 12 Nov 2002 09:22:05 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    clapton is God - "saw the se version in hmv for 25 quid."
    Bought mine from Play.com for 22.49, including shipping. :p It pays to shop around.

Alastair - "Didn't say it had turned up yet though!"
    Yeah, that's the one problem with Play.com - they seem to ship everything by carrier pigeon. :(
  • ssuellid 12 Nov 2002 09:26:17 19,141 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've been moaning about Plays delivery times quite often - then this Saturday VC and Attack of the Clones turned up. Maybe they have sped up the delivery times again?
  • Nemesis 12 Nov 2002 10:32:33 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think we'll have to wait 'til someone has actually SEEN the Extended Version(TM) until we can make a judgment on that...

I watched Clones instead, as I wanted to look through the extras and stuff.

The problem I found with the TR version of Fellowship is that within the documentaries there is alot of repetition. Interview material is placed in more than one 'feature' section; which can be a pain in the arse to wade through.

Errrrrrrrrrrm I'll see if I get a chance to sit down with the film tonight; feeling very sicknote today.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Nov 2002 10:42:06 40,158 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Black Books

For a moment, I misread something here...

the massive plot spoiler with Gandalf coming back

Thanks, otto. Now I'll save those 7 EUR for the ticket... :p

Edited by UncleLou at 10:42:36 12-11-2002
  • Nemesis 12 Nov 2002 10:49:31 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Polystyrene bookends ffs?!?

Oi! They are wicked, they are either side of my TFT screen at home and they really look cool.

secondly the absurd assertion that the eponymous two towers are Orthanc and Barad-Dur. As any fule kno, TTT are Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul.

Yeah, I know. Tch eh. Tch. The trailer looks very VERY cool and there's a preview of it on the FoTR DVD should you want to learn a little more. You could probably download it from Apple should you want.
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Nov 2002 10:51:41 40,158 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Btw, I saw this LotR game in action yesterday, and it looked bloody brilliant (technically). Shame it's such a mediocre game apparently. If I had had this at the time I first read LotR, I bet I would have freaked out...
  • Nemesis 12 Nov 2002 10:54:48 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    On what system Lou?
  • Nemesis 12 Nov 2002 10:55:44 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 12 Nov 2002 11:04:40 40,158 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    On the PS2, to my own surprise, cause when approaching the screen, I was convinced it must be on the Xbox or something. Hordes of detailed enemies, hi-res textures, great looking fog (on the ground, not to hide the draw distance). Looked really cool...
  • Nemesis 12 Nov 2002 11:30:33 19,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's getting an average rating of 60% across all the released platforms.......so I think I'll carry on with AOM for a while.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Nov 2002 11:30:55 23,487 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    My LoTR complaints:

The shire scene at the beginning was too long, they could have shortened that by at least 15 minutes and we would have lost nothing, personally I thought they should have used Gandalf's travel through the Shire as the main illustration of it's beauty.

More complaints later ;)
  • Deleted user 12 November 2002 11:48:42
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    The shire scene at the beginning was too long, they could have shortened that by at least 15 minutes and we would have lost nothing, personally I thought they should have used Gandalf's travel through the Shire as the main illustration of it's beauty.

While I've heard some people say LotR should've been longer, I find the argument it could've made better use of the same time compelling. Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed with this aspect of LotR. It was no more than a workmanlike attempt.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Nov 2002 12:01:43 23,487 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    While I've heard some people say LotR should've been longer, I find the argument it could've made better use of the same time compelling. Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed with this aspect of LotR. It was no more than a workmanlike attempt.

It at times just wasn't cinematic and felt more like a TV movie, a great deal of it felt rushed while at other points they spent far too much time on pointless scenes that didn't add anything, it comes as no surprise to me that the director was practically an amateur.

The fight scenes was another of my problems...one other film that does it so much better; 13th Warrior.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2002 12:13:23
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    It at times just wasn't cinematic and felt more like a TV movie, a great deal of it felt rushed while at other points they spent far too much time on pointless scenes that didn't add anything, it comes as no surprise to me that the director was practically an amateur.

Television movie is a description that I nearly used in my previous post. Like Besson, and Verhoeven before him, Jackson lost his spark when he took Hollywoods coin.

The fight scenes was another of my problems...one other film that does it so much better; 13th Warrior.

I have issues with interpretation across the whole film and at all levels. This is not indirectly related to use of time.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.