Shmups! Page 8

• Samildanach 6 Apr 2021 13:05:27 631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Thanks! I've been looking at Thunderforce IV and will get that as soon as it hits a sale again (the Sega Ages games are frequently discounted, so I have patience :)).

The Konami arcade classics are currently on sale, but I've already played most of these in the past (Twinbee!) (though not the arcade versions).

Neo Geo Strikers looks interesting, thanks for that one!

There's just so much choice for shmups on the Switch!
    Thunder Force IV is magnificent. Buy it!!!
    Thunder Force AC is well worth a go too. It is quite similar to Thunder Force III, but has two completely different levels as well as altered regular enemy sprites and often placement, making it different enough to surprise, even if you have rinsed TFIII previously.
    I admit, the games have their imperfections, unlike the likes of Ketsui, but they a rocking, adrenaline-infused experiences not to be missed if you are a fan of the genre.
    Even TFII and V are very good, although their flaws are a little greater.
  • souvlaki 6 Apr 2021 13:58:26 1,190 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I prefer III to IV, AC (III) specifically.
  • Samildanach 6 Apr 2021 15:37:11 631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    I prefer III to IV, AC (III) specifically.
    III is a tighter game than IV certainly, but loses points on being a little on the easy side. All versions of III have great bosses that are under utilised by having too low health and they melt under your weapons far too quickly. The original Japan release of III gives them the most health (as opposed to the US release of III, AC and especially Spirits), so is definitely the way to go to get the best experience of that game.
    IV could do with a couple of its levels not being wide, although it adds the potentially for more routes, some of the intensity is lost in that big playing field. Strite (St 1) and St 7 (the lava one) would have been better narrow, possibly with auto-scrolling diagonally like a some of the stages in III.
    V would probably look great if it were ever to get the forthcoming G Darius HD treatment from M2. Sadly it is hampered by its low res., polygonal enemies and missing background effects on the PS version.

Edited by Samildanach at 15:38:16 06-04-2021
  • Dirtbox 6 Apr 2021 22:40:01 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    All this talk about shmups made me look up a couple of the mentioned titles.

I was never particularly good at them, but when I loved playing stuff like Super Aleste, Axelay and Parodius on the SNES and M.U.S.H.A. on the Mega Drive (never got Thunderforce, might get that on Switch). Before that it was older stuff like Gradius and Zanac Ex on the MSX(2).
    I had Raiden 2 and Raystorm on the PSX, but since then I've never really played any.

So now I'm looking for a reasonably beginner-friendly shmup on the Switch.
    Raiden V is on sale atm... (given that I liked Raiden 2)
    Someone mentioned Crimzon Clover... That looks like madness! 😮 (yet somehow intriguing)
    I would tend away from the Switch, it's currently enjoying a bit of a wild time with new and old releases and it's the perfect form factor, but the input lag on all of them is no beuno.

Mileage may vary tho, being somewhat of a newcomer to modern shmups you might love them anyway. This is a pretty good list, tho a little out of date. All the Cave titles (is there only ESP Ra.De. Psi?) and anything ported by M2 is worth a look.
    https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/feature-best-nintendo-switch-shmups

Clover is brilliant btw.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:45:33 06-04-2021
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 7 Apr 2021 18:13:40 4,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If anyone cares, Dangun Feveron is getting a Limited Run Games physical (and a CE) this Friday. Open preorder I believe. Not one of the shhmups I have played but I will probably get it at the end of the month. Hopefully means we will get the digital only Sorcer Striker too (and possibly localised copies of Ketsui Deathtiny and ESP Ra. DE)
  • Dirtbox 7 Apr 2021 18:50:45 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I forgot about that game, it's one of my old favs and I can 1cc it pretty easily. The collecting thing really tweaks my OCD tendencies though.
  • Dirtbox 12 Apr 2021 13:14:34 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I really enjoy this guys channel, he's one of very few people who exclusively creates content around the genre and, while he might not be everyone's cup of tea, has a very progressive and inclusive attitude toward the games and how to play them. He's very dismissive of the original hardware zealots and he preconfigured an emulator specifically for the games called shmup arch which is worth playing with. Just a decent sort of anti-elitist bloke who can waffle on about it all endlessly while you drink your morning coffee and consider the day.

He's also got a how to shmup series for people just picking up the genre, which is worth a watch for new and old players alike. He's a pretty good player in his own right.
  • Red_Bool 12 Apr 2021 15:24:14 2,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I watched that this morning (while drinking coffee :)). He's great!
    I discovered his channel last week after I got it into my head to try if my 48 year old brain and reflexes can still handle shmups.
    Haven't bought anything yet though, I'm still 'evaluating my options' (read: watching way too many youtube vids).
  • Phattso 12 Apr 2021 15:26:45 27,343 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That was a fun watch, even if the boring drone of a voice made me want to stab my eardrums by the end.

Great to see a bunch of games I was thoroughly addicted to back in the Dreamcast days. That was probably the last time I truly loved the genre and devoted serious time to getting good. I never succeeded, mind you. I've always been awful and that will never change.
  • Dirtbox 12 Apr 2021 18:03:10 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, I can see him being a bit marmite. Few can drone on about the subject like him, but I've grown accustomed to it and quite like his delivery, unfocussed as it is.

Shmup Junkie is the one who annoys me, he talks like he's presenting a kids TV show. I feel like I'm being taught the alphabet.

His history of R-Type video is a thing of beauty though, and I'm not even a fan.

Edited by Dirtbox at 18:14:26 12-04-2021
  • Samildanach 12 Apr 2021 19:10:10 631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dirtbox
    Shmup Junkie's manner of speaking is rather irritating. Its odd, the way he speaks comes across as if he is speaking to someone a bit thick, but the content that he presents is not condescending or elitist. Once you get over the way he speaks, I have found his videos informative and interesting.
    His shmup likes also seem to align quite well with mine, which is helpful. He is solely responsible for me dropping silly money on the Aleste Collection when I initially looked at it and thought 'pfah! Sega Master System and Game Gear games? Why would I bother?!' He was absolutely
    right though, the Collection is awesome!
  • richarddavies 12 Apr 2021 19:12:54 8,297 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:He is solely responsible for me dropping silly money on the Aleste Collection when I initially looked at it and thought 'pfah! Sega Master System and Game Gear games? Why would I bother?!' He was absolutely
    right though, the Collection is awesome!
    I really want that, but I don't know if I can justify the price for it. Fingers crossed it gets released over here at some point.
  • Samildanach 12 Apr 2021 19:17:38 631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @richarddavies
    It's difficult to judge, because the M2 Shottrigger releases (that the Aleste Collection is one of), seem a bit hit and miss as to whether they get a release outside of Japan.
    To be fair, the physical Aleste Collection will sell for as much or likely more than you pay for it, so think of it as an investment. A really fun investment!
  • Samildanach 12 Apr 2021 19:21:41 631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To add to everyone's wallet pain, Limited Run Games has a pre-order for Dangun Feveron (another M2 Shottrigger release, in English) up now.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/limited-run-398-dangun-feveron-ps4

If you live in the UK, it will cost about 45 for the standard game and postage included. There is a Collector's Edition too, but I felt the extras didn't justify the cost.

Edited by Samildanach at 19:22:11 12-04-2021
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Apr 2021 21:46:31 4,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Samildanach I told evereyone about that 5 days ago (albeit without a link) :p

I will get it towards end of the month in case anything else interesting appeara to share shipping with it (otherwise I will juat buy it like I did with Garegga). I will be sticking with the standard edition too. Ialmoat thought we were getting Ketsui too but it is just the OST. I probably should have imported that one already but waiting for it and ESP Ra De in case...

I may have to watch the Aleste vjdeo mentioned above as it really isn't on my radar for similar reasons of original format...
  • Dirtbox 12 Apr 2021 23:06:53 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's just a shame it doesn't include the best Aleste game.
  • Samildanach 13 Apr 2021 00:55:04 631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx
    Oops sorry, didn't see that. Or maybe I did and that's how I know? I'm probably losing it.
  • burning_ranger98 13 Apr 2021 06:19:11 6 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    You people should try Download for the PCE. You'll be surprised at the game over screens lol
  • Dirtbox 18 Apr 2021 21:54:13 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've been rummaging around in the world of romhacks, and found some arranges for Ketsui that fix some of it's slightly jankier issues and make the game more fun in general. 1.51, an arrange based off of it and even a 1.7 exist. And if you're a fan, you should try them.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 18 Apr 2021 22:04:22 4,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I've been rummaging around in the world of romhacks, and found some arranges for Ketsui that fix some of it's slightly jankier issues and make the game more fun in general. 1.51, an arrange based off of it and even a 1.7 exist. And if you're a fan, you should try them.
    Arcade version or one of the home ports? I assume the former.

In other news finally tried out the R-Type Final 2 demo on PS4 (as I heard the Switch version looks poor) and was distinctly unimpressed and I like the original game. It just felt boring and slow paced. Saves me preordering I guess...
  • Dirtbox 18 Apr 2021 22:49:14 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, Mame. Speaking of which, DOJ has been popping an error for several versions of mame when you try and play it, so anyone experiencing that can fix it by getting the ddpdojt.zip from the mame-0.221 romset. In fact, if you're having problems with any roms running on mame that you've been able to run previously, seek that romset out. From that version onward, they changed how the roms are processed (or something), so it created a lot of issues.

Edited by Dirtbox at 23:11:22 18-04-2021
  • voden 19 Apr 2021 02:07:27 807 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for that, was trying to get a working DOJ rom the other day and gave up. I had managed to get working roms of everything I wanted except that. I remember having issues getting a working DOJ rom years back as well.
  • Dirtbox 19 Apr 2021 03:49:32 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The PS2 version is universally acclaimed as the best port of DOJ, has the white and black label versions, and is very simple to emulate with PCSX2. Worth looking into if you're having issues, and it'll save your scores and so on.
  • voden 19 Apr 2021 11:12:13 807 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll take a look, I have pcsx2 installed for Gradius 5 anyway.
  • bone-on 19 Apr 2021 20:40:47 788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of the best indie shmups you can buy and one of my faves. Battle Traverse.

https://youtu.be/E9dq8lPy6S4

Edited by bone-on at 20:41:53 19-04-2021
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 19 Apr 2021 21:56:34 4,436 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The PS2 version is universally acclaimed as the best port of DOJ, has the white and black label versions, and is very simple to emulate with PCSX2. Worth looking into if you're having issues, and it'll save your scores and so on.
    I thought the PS2 was just the white label with the 360 version being the only Black Label (and obviously took years to be patched into a good state). Never played the PS2 version personally.
  • Dirtbox 19 Apr 2021 22:14:36 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yes, you're right. I was thinking of it's death label mode for some reason. The 360 port is not great, the game timings are off with some missing slowdown and the loading times without the patch take the piss. No way to apply the patch on xenia, which sucks. It's fine with the patch.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:15:30 19-04-2021
  • bone-on 19 Apr 2021 22:43:15 788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I really enjoy this guys channel, he's one of very few people who exclusively creates content around the genre and, while he might not be everyone's cup of tea, has a very progressive and inclusive attitude toward the games and how to play them. He's very dismissive of the original hardware zealots and he preconfigured an emulator specifically for the games called shmup arch which is worth playing with. Just a decent sort of anti-elitist bloke who can waffle on about it all endlessly while you drink your morning coffee and consider the day.

He's also got a how to shmup series for people just picking up the genre, which is worth a watch for new and old players alike. He's a pretty good player in his own right.
    Interesting he has DDP DOJ as his No.1

Could never get into it I always found it a bit depressing, strange but true.

He obviously knows his stuff but my top 30 is very different.
  • Dirtbox 19 Apr 2021 22:50:38 92,530 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    bone-on wrote:
    One of the best indie shmups you can buy and one of my faves. Battle Traverse.

https://youtu.be/E9dq8lPy6S4
    I'd love to play it, but you can't buy it from anywhere. Stupid fucks in Japan think people still buy boxed games and have optical drives in their PCs. I nagged the rolling gunner dev into releasing the game on steam a few months back, but the message is never going to penetrate their obsolete business model idiocy unless you fax them or some bullshit.

Edit: haha wtf https://www.ebay.com/itm/283933696915

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:58:21 19-04-2021
  • voden 20 Apr 2021 00:32:53 807 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yea I have DOJ on 360 and it's fine with the patch. I enjoyed it even if the timing is off. I don't have the 360 hooked up though at the moment and it's nice to have these on mame for the convenience.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.