Shmups! Page 2

• Beetroot_Bertie 10 Jul 2011 22:08:28 549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had quite a soft spot for Gunbird 2 on the DC for some reason, along with Ikaruga.

I picked it up (Gunbird 2) cheap from Electronics Boutique and it appealed to me because it was comical, kinda quirky with the anime characters and reminded me of the 16 bit era. I liked the 2D-ness of it (still fond of 2D artwork today) and the transforming bosses, something that Psikyo continued with in Zero Gunner 2 (also very good, but underplayed on my part). It's the sort of thing I can just pick up and play for a few minutes.

As for Ikaruga, I remember seeing some screen shots of the arcade version in Edge magazine and thought there and then that a: I wanted it, and b: it looked beautiful. Needless to say it became my first DC Import after pay day. I still thinks it looks great. The glow of the bullets and trails of your released energy projectiles had me transfixed. The polarity thing is genius too, such a simple idea executed so well. Never finished it though.

Shoot 1 Up on XBLIG is pretty decent for 80pts too.

Ironically, despite mentioning the games I have, I probably favour horizontal slightly as they fill the screen better (wishes my TV could be rotated for Ikaruga TATE mode).

Anyone remember Flying Shark and Prehistoric Isle? Used to like them when I was younger too. I know it's not to be mentioned as a shmup but Super Probotector on the SNES was awesome, loved it to bits!
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 22:11:52 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mrpon 10 Jul 2011 22:12:19 37,320 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh how could I forget Xenon 2 Megablast on the Amiga, just loved that intro music! That buttery biscuit bomb the bass!!

Ahh ah ah yeah!!
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 22:20:07 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mrpon 10 Jul 2011 22:22:34 37,320 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When you look at back at it, it's pretty pedestrian! Same could be said for Blood Money as well.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 22:25:59 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 22:30:05
    Yeah the Xenon games really haven't stood the test of time very well. There aren't too many western shmups that play as well today as the Japanese ones tend to. I definitely enjoyed both Uridium and its Amiga sequel when I last played them (a few months ago), but I can't think of any more.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 22:33:09 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 22:37:29 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • darrenb 10 Jul 2011 22:38:26 1,176 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Battle Squadron was a good one on the Amiga..

Staray was the first thing I ever saw running on the machine and that was one of the more enjoyable ones too.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 10 Jul 2011 22:41:44 549 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I always thought R-Type was pretty sweet on the Amiga, but maybe I have my rose tinted specs on.

SWIV was rather good too from what I recall. Can't think of any others right now. Too busy being filled with warm and fuzzy feelings about the Amiga :)
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 22:45:20
    Don't think there were any good ports of R-Type.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 22:51:45 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 10 July 2011 23:03:28
    My PC Engine knowledge goes as far as Rondo of Blood sadly.
  • Obiwanshinobi 10 Jul 2011 23:05:37 870 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The Gunner games were actually inspired by the much earlier Strike series by EA of all people.
    If there's any hard evidence behind it, that's fine, but I don't see why couldn't it have been inspired by some way older shmups at that. ZG2 is mechanically more of a multidirectional arena shooter not quite unlike NOVA2001 and Ark Area by UPL. As for the way lock on works in the first ZG, if memory serves me right, the utterly baffling Strike Gunner S.T.G. had something along those lines in 1991 (before Desert Strike).
    Sonic Wings Special is VERY likely to be a direct inspiration because, well, Psikyo folks were responsible for the original Sonic Wings (before they formed Psikyo) and would most certainly follow that series' evolution.

Dirtbox wrote:
    Gunhed was an odd one, it was basically Aleste and almost all of it was copy/pasted almost entirely years later as Super Aleste. Sound effects and all. Compile were lazy bastards.

Come to think of it, Zanac on the Neo Geo took the formula and improved on it quite well some years after that.
    Zanac was neither on Neo Geo, nor any other coin-op machine while we're at it. The first one came out for the MSX in 1986 - three years before Gunhed and two years before Aleste. Zanac Neo came out in 2001 for the PSX, bundled with NES and FDS versions of Zanac, as well as Zanac Special Version (pretty much nobody plays Special Version but me, which is a crying shame).
    Claiming that Compile copied and pasted almost all of Gunhed as Super Aleste is a weird thing to say. The graphics and music of Super Aleste are way different from Gunhed's, the weapon system is way more complex in Super Aleste, and last but not least the programming... They squeezed the blood out of each and every 8-bit and 16-bit console they worked with. Lazy they were not. I don't know the details, but apparently The Guardian Legend remains a poster child for funky things than can be done with the NES, but wouldn't be possible with 8-bit computers of the era.
    If you wanna make a fair comparison between Gunhed and Super Aleste, play the former on higher difficulty level (requires entering a code) and the latter in one of lunatic modes (featuring suicide bullets).
  • Dirtbox 10 Jul 2011 23:18:57 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Obiwanshinobi 10 Jul 2011 23:43:19 870 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't have many opportunities to rant on about Compile, so bear with me. It's just that GunHed is a weird example of Compile's "laziness". The 8-bit Aleste/Power Strike games and Gun-Nac, where they had indeed recycled a lot of stuff, would be a more becoming choice in my book.
    I do feel that their PCE(CD) shmups had somewhat unique flavour to them. Like, arguably the most punchy explosion sound on consoles back in the day, or - in case of GunHed - [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhbf99ZrH3E">the music (same tune resynthesized with the NES chip to be heard
  • Deleted user 11 July 2011 07:42:07
    Every time I post about games on here, it's immediately made apparent that I've only played a miniscule fragment of what's out there.

Grand stuff, carry on. ;-)
  • Deleted user 11 July 2011 07:57:37
    redcrayon wrote:
    Every time I post about games on here, it's immediately made apparent that I've only played a miniscule fragment of what's out there.

Grand stuff, carry on. ;-)

I know, it's fascinating isn't it :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2011 07:58:59 47,501 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm trying to think of good Amiga shoot em ups. So far I've got:

Apydia
    Project X
    Agony
    SWIV
    Disposable Hero
    Banshee

The Amiga was just fine for shooters :-)
  • Deleted user 11 July 2011 08:01:05
    SWIV!!!! I'd completely forgotten about that!
  • Deleted user 11 July 2011 08:17:12
    My brother and I always used to argue over who would be the helicopter, the jeep always seemed to get a raw deal with having to jump chasms as well as dodge bullets.
  • DiamondIce 11 Jul 2011 09:52:29 1,185 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thunderforce IV
    Super Parodius
    Super Aleste
    Axelay
    UN Squadron
  • BeebleB 11 Jul 2011 11:15:49 1,340 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gradius, super star soldier, dragon spirit. Have a soft spot for fantasy zone on the master system too
  • Stevas-mkII 11 Jul 2011 12:51:00 3,848 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm a bit behind the old *cough* emulation lark, but I just got *cough* hold of Ketsui...

OMGIlovesit

Also: how are you DB, you big daft shmuploving cunt, you?
  • Dirtbox 11 Jul 2011 13:36:56 92,530 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.