Sciatica

First Previous
  • sam_spade 16 Jul 2011 06:08:12 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Has anyone had serious bouts of sciatica?

Back story (badoomtish): had a few episodes that have been cleared up with drugs. But last week it came back with vengeance to the point where I lost consciousness-due to the excruciating pain. A jab later from the paramedics and I was up and about.

Now though I can't sit down for more than ten minutes without my leg seizing up and waking up in the morning is now an exercise in shouting, hobbling, and breathing exercises to try and stay conscious.

I have an appointment in the next week with a physio the rapist, but does anyone who has had this before have any methods to alleviate the morning agony, or ease the symptoms.
  • captainrentboy 16 Jul 2011 08:04:36 1,682 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had it a few years back. I always had slight problems with my back, especially as I was overweight and 6ft6. But I triggered off Sciatica by simply bending down to pull a plug out of the wall. :/ (Just had to lay on the floor and wait to be picked up)
    Sadly there's bugger all you can do about it. The doctor will give you some whopping pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs, both of which did work for me over time. But the first 2 weeks of it was fucking horrible. I know they recommend that you don't lay up in bed all the time and try to move around. But when the simple act of putting my trousers on would usually result in me crying like a 4yr old, it's hard to find the motivation to keep moving.
    It will ease off eventually, as long as you get the good shit off your Doc.
    But I feel your pain!!!
  • sam_spade 16 Jul 2011 16:11:24 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Nice to know someone else acted like a complete baby when suffering from it.

Got a nice heap of drugs from the doc which is keeping me relatively pain free, although quite sleepy - which is contrary to what I need to be doing.

Sorted my home desk into a standing one, so at least I can work from home (and the odd bit of gaming).

Although the missus says it's like living with a bouncer because I'm always standing up.
  • Tom_Servo 16 Jul 2011 16:13:21 18,079 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My mum was out of work for a long time with it, I could ask her some questions about it later.
  • sam_spade 17 Jul 2011 12:34:16 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    That would be great Tom.

I'm thinking of going to the doc's and requesting a scan on my back to find out the cause. I went to bed at ten then woke up at 2am this morning, in agony and had to go on a two mile walk to get any kind of relief in my leg. Then I got back and fell asleep again, woke up at six in agony again and then son woke up and wanted to play (which fortunately consisted of watching steam trains on YouTube) wife got up and I went back to bed for another six hours.
  • chopsen 17 Jul 2011 12:56:30 21,905 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You need stronger pain killers. There's no point arranging a scan unless you're considering surgery, which would not be appropriate at this stage. The risk of surgery are unjustifiable unless medical therapy (i.e. analgesia) has failed.
  • RunningMan 17 Jul 2011 13:08:15 3,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just getting over a bout of sciatica. Right leg was almost numb for two weeks and back pain was terrible. I went to physio and he clicked something in my back, and the pain pretty much went. Although I'm doing back exercises to try and strengthen my back. Your legs will take some time to recover.
  • Deleted user 17 July 2011 14:04:59
    I've just started getting it, too :( Probably something to do with being 6'8" and having recently put a stone on. I can't stand up for more than about 5 minutes without it kicking in.

Getting old sucks.
  • Dr-Strangelove 18 Jul 2011 10:57:23 2,298 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have complete sympathy for anyone with Sciatica, I have heard all sorts of recommended cures though and think that its very subjective.

Back manipulation, Yoga, physio and walking are the only things that helped relieve my Sciatica, no amount of pain killers did the job.

I exercised for about 3 months to get rid of it. Comes back every now and again though, I just get my gym ball out and exercise like mad for a few days and go on very long walks.

I'd also recommend the yoga position called the crocodile for self back manipulation. I get quite a few clicks in my vertebrae when I do that. Only do it if your back is supple though, you can cause more problems if you're not careful.
  • Spanky 18 Jul 2011 11:11:02 15,033 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Is that the crocodile twists? Yeah i got that working pretty well for loosening it up. My sciatica is about .5% of what Sams got from the sounds of it though, discomfort most of the time but that's all. Fun Fact, Matrix Revolutions is where my sciatica originated, wrenching and twisting about in the cinema seat waiting for it to finish... kraaaaak!
  • sam_spade 18 Jul 2011 11:45:53 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I'm feeling a lot better than I did in the first two days. Drugs and being wired up to a TENS machine (as well as massive walks) have done great things. Still a nightmare getting out of bed the first thing, but at least I can get out of bed. Will try out those crocodile twists when I'm feeling a bit more flexible.

Cheers for the help and advice guys. It's why I love you. :')
  • Dr-Strangelove 18 Jul 2011 11:48:20 2,298 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, crocodile twists is what I've also heard the move called.

I also get mild discomfort every now and again, its just a sign that I'm not doing enough physio on my back.

Also, back extension exercises (using a roman chair preferably or gym ball if you don't have access to one) are crucial, take your time doing them. I worked my way up to be able to do 100 of them when I was in peak physical condition. All nice and slow, this was the main exercise that I relied on to fix my lower back pain and sciatica once I'd manipulated my bones back into shape.

Conditioning your back and abdominal muscles once your vertebrae is in shape is very important. I now regularly do back extensions on my gym ball.
  • phAge 18 Jul 2011 12:01:17 25,487 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You probably know this already, but just in case:

"Although sciatica is a relatively common form of low back pain and leg pain, the true meaning of the term is often misunderstood. Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis for what is irritating the root of the nerve, causing the pain. This point is important, because treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms will often be different, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms."

In any case, I hope you get better. Sounds like a shit thing to be carrying around. :/
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2015 09:39:11 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right then. Had a two part spinal fusion operation last Tuesday. For the last 48 hours I am in massive sciatic pain down right leg. Unable to sleep for more than 90 mins at a time without it waking me. Literally unrelenting and unbearable. Recovery progress had been slow and steady up to this set back. Had sciatic pain right after the op but it had subsided and was improving and now - back with a vengeance. Called the hospital and fuck all they can do until tomorrow due to it being a Sunday.

Fcking hurting a lot . Just wanted to post this for something to do to try to distract me for ten mins.

Fuck this - in extreme summary. Any one with any non medical tips please shoot them over.
  • Trafford 25 Jan 2015 09:54:54 9,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got a sciatica last year. During a violent coughing fit I jolted so much I ( thought) I'd put my back out.

Paracetamols and gentle excersice are all you can do. Hopefully you can shake it soon, it took me 6 months of pain.
  • Trafford 25 Jan 2015 09:55:40 9,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does the spinal fusion thing hurt more?
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2015 10:05:29 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No. The fusion site and wound is sore but bearable. If this leg pain was gone, I would be comfortable in managing day to day. Unbearable last night and night before.
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2015 10:06:44 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Op was Tuesday before last - so am 12 days post op at this point
  • mothercruncher 25 Jan 2015 10:11:19 19,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sorry to hear that Youthist, I've had 15 years of back pain and only two things (drugs aside) really help- heat and T.E.N.S. machines.
    If you haven't tried T.E.N.S, they really are great for drug free pain relief, cheapish too these days.
  • onestepfromlost 25 Jan 2015 10:14:58 2,721 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got a horrible bout just now. Never tried a tens machine but maybe its time I do. Could barely move off the spot at work last night.
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2015 10:15:40 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah I had a declining disk in my back for about 15 years. The op was literally a case of "we are out of time and options". There was basically nothing left of the disk at l5 - s1, with a lot of disc matter extruded into spine over those years. So op there to sort it once and for all (and it will, fingers crossed) but this sciatica post op is properly mental. I have had sciatica before due to the disc, but this last couple of days is off the scale.
  • Not-a-reviewer 25 Jan 2015 10:27:59 7,441 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hospitals can't do anything on a Sunday? Not even give you stronger painkillers?
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2015 10:36:03 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They cannot prescribe me anything new, that needs to come from my surgeon / consultant. She suggested I can go to A&E. Erm, I will pass ta.
  • Trowel 25 Jan 2015 10:56:44 24,424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For me, this buttock (piriformis) stretch is the only thing that ever helps my sciatic pain - may not help if the source of your pinching is in your lower back however.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspWFBopAfQ
  • Trafford 25 Jan 2015 11:59:46 9,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was only comfortable when I was up and about.
    I could walk fine. It was just sitting down it ruined me. Felt like I had a rivet punched in my buttock and a fuzzy leg.
  • Trafford 25 Jan 2015 12:00:35 9,279 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speedy recovery by the way Youthist.
  • Youthist 25 Jan 2015 12:02:22 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cheers mate. Not in a good place right now. Can't even concentrate on a game!
  • DevilsKebab 25 Jan 2015 12:24:55 774 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sympathies from me too, I had my first ever bout in August that stayed with me until mid-December. At it's worst it felt like someone was pouring molten metal down the inside of my thigh bone.
    After being given stronger and stronger tablets (They only often worked for a week before becoming innefective)
    To shift it in the end, I went to a private osteopathy practitioner and 6 weeks of sessions helped get rid of it
  • Youthist 27 Jan 2015 06:01:19 14,573 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just ordered a tens machine and seeing my surgeon at 0800. I was fine yesterday afternoon and evening then fell asleep with ice on leg at 0025. Woken at 0345 with massive sciatic pain and been in agony since. Unacceptable
  • mothercruncher 27 Jan 2015 07:24:27 19,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Good luck.
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.