Sciatica Page 2

• Deleted user 27 January 2015 08:19:55
    A couple of years ago I would go to bed and would feel like my calf muscles were going to cramp up. Went to see an acupuncturist, proper Chinese doctor, who treated me. Almost all sorted after a couple of treatments.

Needles next to the effected vertebrae to encourage the blood flow to fix the problem. Then needles in the actual nerve itself back of knees, ankle etc. Felt like an electric shock down my legs when the needles went in. But it worked like a charm.

Also saw a physio who gave me some exercises.

I've heard good things about osteopaths and chiropractors. My caution with pain medication is that it's only masking the problem rather than solving it. But with alternative medicine you have to see someone who is good to get the most benefit.

Edited by malloc at 08:20:56 27-01-2015
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 08:23:46
    But acupuncture is pain medicine?
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 08:37:52
    It helps the nerves and whatnot heal and so fixes the pain. But it doesn't just dull it whilst your back is still messed up.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 08:38:56
    Hmm.

Anyway, best wishes Youthist, hope you get some relief from the pain.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 08:44:52
    I bought a book by Robin McKenzie on the back which I found useful.

At the risk of sounding like my parents a good diet and exercise will help your body look after itself.
  • mothercruncher 27 Jan 2015 09:12:16 19,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And definitely none of those pesky blood transfusions, eh?
    You come from a very particular angle though, don't you malloc?

Painkillers can be the thing that allows your bodies pain response mechanisms to calm down, relieve tension and begin top right themselves, in just the same way the quack stuff can.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 09:16:17
    Eh? Clearly I'm just encouraging caution about relying on pain meds, not saying they're wrong or evil or anything. I found acupuncture helped me. Even the physio I saw was trained up on it.

Not sure how it relates to blood transfusions or anything else.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 09:20:53
    Attention!

Please be advised that this thread is shortly going to devolve into an argument about science vs pseudoscience, if you suffer from problems related to the sciatic nerve or other related back complaints then please seek alternative threads.

Thank you.
  • Youthist 27 Jan 2015 09:24:54 14,569 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    malloc wrote:
    I bought a book by Robin McKenzie on the back which I found useful.

At the risk of sounding like my parents a good diet and exercise will help your body look after itself.
    I have both of those already - and I think many people know that good exercise and good diet is good for you!

I had a major back op two weeks ago today and this is just part of the recovery process. Fucking painful though.

Anyway new plan - got my tens machine on order. Met consultant. He showed me the xray of the back - Mental seeing all that scaffolding around my lumbar spine. He says from looking at wound I have had allergic reaction to the stitches which has created inflammation recently hence flare up over the weekend down the legs.

The plan now is to set alarm to wake me every two hours and then I walk around the room for 15 mins to make sure the sciatic nerve isn't resting for too long (which is creating the pain after I sleep for a few hours).

This morning was a joke. Took 4 hours to settle the nerve back down.
  • Dr.Haggard 27 Jan 2015 09:25:36 4,640 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Youthist It may not be any use since I assume you can't put pressure on your back at the mo, but one of those curved plastic back stretchers was what finally did the trick for me. At least I think it was that.

I had terrible sciatic pain for several months a couple of years ago and the only thing that would relieve it (after the first few weeks pain killers were virtually useless) was lying on my back on a hard floor or lying on the back stretcher, but only for as long as I stayed in that position.

After a few months of this we were going away for a weekend and I decided to drive with the back stretcher behind me in the car. A two hour drive later and I was feeling ok and had very little pain for the rest of the evening, but when I woke up the next morning it was just gone. Mornings were always the worst, but the pain had completely disappeared and hasn't come back since.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2015 09:26:20
    Ooof. Hope things improve mate.
  • Youthist 28 Jan 2015 12:28:08 14,569 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So I have my tens machine on my leg. Any recommendations on setting? I am thinking as high as I can handle right?
  • Youthist 28 Jan 2015 12:50:44 14,569 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't know how it starts I think it depends on the cause. Mine didn't build up it was just intense from the off. Sciatica can be caused by many issues related to the back, neck and nerves.
  • sickpuppysoftware 28 Jan 2015 12:59:12 1,486 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    So I have my tens machine on my leg. Any recommendations on setting? I am thinking as high as I can handle right?
    Start low and then increase it until it becomes too much then drop it back one.

Depending on the settings your machine has I found it easier to start with continuous rather than pulses of power.
  • Youthist 28 Jan 2015 14:36:32 14,569 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ta sick. Had it on for last 90 mins. While feeling odd and slightly uncomfortable, it has certainly deflected from the acute pain. Let's hope that continues!
  • Deleted user 28 January 2015 14:46:29
    One thing that can identify issues with a persons back is to lie face down and prod up each vertebrae gently along your spine. If one of them hurts, then that's it. Might be too subtle to notice otherwise. When I had issues with my sciatic nerve, my back was fine, someone did the above exercise for me and I noticed it straight away.
  • mothercruncher 28 Jan 2015 17:20:47 19,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The TENS stuff is personal and also depends on exactly what you're trying to treat- I find I can whack it on high when the pads span my lower back, but the same setting would have me twitching like weirdo if they were on my arm.

It is a weird sensation, depending on the frequency you're using. Anything from someone lightly tapping you to a prickling sensation through to a (for me, comforting) mellow buzz. I can start it up and then tune the sensations out in seconds and just get on with my day now, but it was hard to forget about initially.
    Experiment through the ranges on offer and see what's most comfortable- as far as I know no on frequency is better than another, if you're gettign pain releif and it's fairly comfortable, keep at it :)
  • mothercruncher 28 Jan 2015 17:28:16 19,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, and the machines tend to recommend short bursts of use (I've had three now) but they're basically hedging their bets. I've worn them for days at a time and even overnight so I can sleep sometimes. The machine is just disrupting some of the pain signals before they get back to the brain, nothing drastic.
  • Youthist 28 Jan 2015 17:58:52 14,569 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks MC. Been up and down this afternoon but definitely helping.

How long does a battery last approx? I have a regular dual channel job from med-fit.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2015 18:19:27
    Unfortunately sciatica for me as a scaffolder is a occupational hazard, my back has been bad now for four years now and the pain when having an attack is beyond imagination, for me it has left some permanent nerve damage where as I'm unable to lift my left foot from the heel upwards, it tends to make a slapping noise when I walk, it has improved but I find my leg when working in uncomfortable positions locks up through the calf down to my knee in a cramp like effect. I've spent thousands with different private clinics and the only thing that seems to alleviate it as a deep sports massage with a heat lamp through my left buttock, it hurts when done and leaves bruising but after a day or so it's almost back to normal.
    My sympathies for anyone who suffers with this.
  • mothercruncher 28 Jan 2015 20:27:12 19,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ouch, that's sounds bad Reggy :(

good choice Youthist- same as mine! And it's lasted ages now, decent quality leads etc, which, incidentally, you can get cheaply along with pads from ebay if you need. I use rechargables because I can chew through a 9v battery in a few days!
  • Youthist 30 Jan 2015 12:12:37 14,569 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pain update : It is no exaggeration to say the TENS coupled with ice packs has saved my sanity. While still in pain, I can control it better with the combo of those two and regulation pain killers. I even slept for about 5 straight hours last night. I have had the TENS on throughout the last two nights.

Thanks all for advice earlier this week
  • Trafford 25 Feb 2015 05:41:07 9,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How you doing Youthist?

I can feel this fucker coming back.
    Must be due to being inactive, prolonged bouts of sofa activity recently.
    I have a dull pain in my right buttock and a funny click on my right ankle when I turn it.
    Not sure what what the ankle click is about, but I had that symptom with the sciatica last year.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2017 13:16:06
    Bumping thread, hope nobody minds.

Always suffered with my back/pain down back of leg and bum since working for Royal Mail many moons ago. A few weeks ago though I fell off a ladder, nothing too dramatic and I was sure I 'handled' the fall well. But since then the pain in my leg has gotten worse up until the weekend just gone where the pain was absolutely unbearable. Nothing like having to get the missus to knead your bum at 2AM while you're crying with pain to induce laughter the next day!

I've never actually been diagnosed with Sciatica (partly because I could manage the pain OK, and also because of my general dislike of going to the doctors) but I've always suspected I have it. Last night was however the tipping point, and I am finding that my foot and calf appear to have gone numb following hours of searing pain and being unable to sit, stand or do fuck all. This is new to me and a little worrying.

I've taken the day off work and have the docs in the morning. Should I be worried about the numbness? The internet doctor is inconclusive so far lol!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Mar 2017 13:53:35 33,825 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like you've fucked a disc that's trapped a nerve. Go see a doc.
  • KD 20 Mar 2017 14:10:44 3,430 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes That's what I did and had constant pain in my back and left leg for just over 12 months, I had to build up a muscle (gluteus maximus?) to push the nerve back in, 6 months of physio at the hospital and rest doing certain exercises.

Feel sorry for anyone with similar.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2017 14:24:07
    Thanks for the replies folks. Lots to look forward to then. I thought it could be more than Sciatica as my leg kept going out from under me, taking me to the deck toot-sweet.

I'm in an office job now, after years of manual work. I love the job but it's more sedentary than I'm used to. I've never been a particularly thin person but I have put on a little weight and not been as active. I think this may have contributed.

Docs in the morning. But for today I'll console myself with a little Animal Crossing in between groans of agony.
  • captainrentboy 20 Mar 2017 18:08:52 1,682 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've had full on Sciatica twice, basically from being a tall fat bastard, and yeah it's not great.
    The numbness in the feet and thighs was something that I had both times, and whilst it is weird and pretty scary it does ease off as the Sciatica fades away. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do to speed up the recovery process bar keeping as mobile as possible (as much as it fucking hurts), and doing certain stretches/weird position holds. (Went to a chiropractor a couple of times too, which provided temporary relief)
    I've lost a load of weight since the second round of it, I don't ever want to go through that shit again.

Edited by captainrentboy at 18:09:53 20-03-2017
  • papalazarou 21 Mar 2017 05:52:16 138 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had sciatica on and off, mainly when in my teens playing football. Was off work recently for 2 weeks, couldn't sit for a week due to the pain from a trapped nerve which was awful. The high point was making the mistake of trying to get in the car to go to the doctors and took about half an hour to get back out. One thing to watch out for, I took ibuprofen for 2 weeks, and that combined with the back pain meant I didn't have a poo for a fortnight...which was extremely painful when normal service was resumed.

I think part of the reason for the trapped nerve was slouching on the sofa for a few hours the night before, nothing else could've caused it and I'm now a lot more conscious of my posture.

Went to a chiropractor who said, probably like most people I was out of alignment in most places, and have focused on getting core strength up by some swimming and a bit more exercise generally.

My sympathies to anyone with any type of back pain as it is fucking murder.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.