Fellowship Collectors Ed Page 3

Next Last
  • Gestalt 17 Nov 2002 09:16:21 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Let's face it, John Woo's unlikely to win an Oscar, but as action movies go, some of his films are works of art. Yes, they're pretty silly, but they're a blast to watch and the choreography is marvellous. If you can't dial down to that level then you shouldn't be watching the film. :) They're not supposed to be intelligent (or at least, I hope not) - they're supposed to be fun. The same's true of a lot of Hong Kong movies, and a lot of Hollywood movies for that matter.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2002 12:53:41
    Gestalt wrote:

If you can't dial down to that level then you shouldn't be watching the film. :)

No - I'm afraid I can't dial down to that level. I am an intellectual giant and I crave a more sophisticated level of entertainment to engage my brilliant mind.

Now, if you will excuse me, Hong Kong Phooey is about to start...
  • Khab 17 Nov 2002 14:46:25 6,583 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    Woo does not make films. He makes art.

Yeah. So does Lucas. :p
  • Deleted user 17 November 2002 14:59:16
    Gestalt wrote:
    Let's face it, John Woo's unlikely to win an Oscar, but as action movies go, some of his films are works of art. Yes, they're pretty silly, but they're a blast to watch and the choreography is marvellous.

I find it a little difficult to believe that you've swallowed that one. Woo is a producer of snazzy moves done better elsewhere, wrapped in camera work that befuddles the senses.

If you can't dial down to that level then you shouldn't be watching the film. :) They're not supposed to be intelligent (or at least, I hope not) - they're supposed to be fun. The same's true of a lot of Hong Kong movies, and a lot of Hollywood movies for that matter.

Since when has fun become a metaphor for dumb?
  • Gestalt 17 Nov 2002 15:47:41 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah - "Woo is a producer of snazzy moves done better elsewhere, wrapped in camera work that befuddles the senses."

Well, I guess you can't please everyone. :) I've got over half a dozen John Woo movies in my collection, and most of them are a lot of fun to watch. Personally I love the action sequences in stuff like Hard Boiled and The Killer, and even some of his American films like MI2 are a blast to watch on a purely visual level, however crazy the "plot" behind the stunts.

Having said that, the prize for most stylish shoot-out ever filmed in Hong Kong probably has to go to Johnny To for the one in the shopping mall in The Mission. Absolute work of art, and the complete opposite of the leaping-through-the-air-in-slow-motion stuff that John Woo does.
  • terminalterror 17 Nov 2002 18:49:31 18,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    Woo is a producer of snazzy moves done better elsewhere

You find me a better couple of action movies than 'The Killer' and 'Hard boiled', and I might believe you.

I would have to agree with Errol on this one, short of computer effects, there is simply no beating Hard boiled for action. I personally thought that the meat locker club fight at the beginning of Blade came close, but only because of the superb dusting effects.

My taped version of Hard Boiled got overwritten, can someone tell me the cheapest place to get it on DVD?
  • Deleted user 17 November 2002 18:52:18
    One sunny day maketh not a summer.
  • terminalterror 17 Nov 2002 18:58:45 18,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    One sunny day maketh not a summer.

It does here in the UK ;)

To be fair with John Woo, it's really a few suny days, and quite a lot of slighly overcast ones.
  • Deleted user 17 November 2002 22:55:45
    Well - I've not indulged in the entire John Woo back catalogue but what I have seen has ben.. well.. unwatchable shite, tbh.

MI2? The trailers were enough to put me off? They're the BEST bits? ROFLMAO!

Hard Target? Drop dead. Please.

Haven't seen Hard Boiled (only seen a couple of the shoot outs - slow-mo, multiple replays, natch) so can;t offer a fair opinion but I can;t see any of his films topping, say, Aliens, Total Recall or T2. Those three films pretty much seemed to have put the full stop at the end of the action genre IMHO. The problems are two-fold;

1: slow mo action replays kill a film for me. Even Tomb Raider only resorted to this desperate ploy once.

2: Chow Yun Fat (spelt correctly?). Not knocking him as an actor and I'm sure he's a lovely bloke and everything... but... in my book action heroes SHOULDN'T look like fat bank managers. It's just me, obviously... (and FB)

God help us when T3 comes out - it's just going to be embarassing isn't it?
  • Gestalt 18 Nov 2002 09:07:09 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ah, well there you go. MI2 is a lot of fun and very stylish, but it's hardly the best of Woo. As for Hard Target, it's a Jean Claude van Damme movie FFS, what do you expect? ;) Check out Hard Boiled or The Killer if you want vintage Woo. If you've got something against Chow Yun Fat, Bullet In The Head doesn't have him in it and is supposed to be really good, although I've not seen that one myself.
  • Nemesis 18 Nov 2002 09:10:22 19,742 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    MI2. Please don't get us started on that one. The original Cruise film was superb, WTF was MI2. Did anyone else feel they overdid the face mask thing ever so slightly?
  • JabbaDaHut 18 Nov 2002 11:49:00 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sorry to go back on post but I've just seen the DVD SE with the 30 extra mins and I thought it was fantastic! Really rounded out the story well and added stuff that was criminal to leave out in the original...Best DVD ever released!
  • Gestalt 18 Nov 2002 16:58:56 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just wait 'til you start digging through the extras. There's some really fascinating stuff on there, and it goes on for hours and hours and hours. ;) Even the menus are a work of art - beautifully animated and yet remarkably neat and quick to navigate, unlike some discs where the menus are so over the top as to be tedious, difficult to make out, or both (hello Red Dwarf).
  • JabbaDaHut 18 Nov 2002 17:01:32 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gestalt wrote:
    Just wait 'til you start digging through the extras. There's some really fascinating stuff on there, and it goes on for hours and hours and hours. ;) Even the menus are a work of art - beautifully animated and yet remarkably neat and quick to navigate, unlike some discs where the menus are so over the top as to be tedious, difficult to make out, or both (hello Red Dwarf).
    Hehehe - funny you should say that! Just got the Red Dwarf DVD yesterday as well! The menus are quite good the first time but get quickly boring...
    And I'm really looking forward to after work tonight - Going to delve deeper like you suggest Gestalt..Cheers.
  • Fozzie's_bird 18 Nov 2002 18:22:34 81 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gestalt wrote:
    If you've got something against Chow Yun Fat, Bullet In The Head doesn't have him in it and is supposed to be really good, although I've not seen that one myself.

Nothing against Chow Yun Fat really - he just seems about as credible an action hero as Les Dennis (for example). Suppose I'd better give Bullet in the Head a go though, hadn't I?

edit: Goddamit! That bloody woman! Got me posting under her id!

Edited by Fozzie's_bird at 18:23:49 18-11-2002
  • Deleted user 18 November 2002 18:58:59
    duc wrote:
    I think Bullet in The Head is Woo's best movie. Better than The Killer.

I'd like to see "the killer put a bullet" in John Woo's head.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2002 19:28:04
    But would you want to see it once or from a variety of different angles?
  • Deleted user 18 November 2002 19:34:54
    Fozzie_bear wrote:

Hmmm. Shoot him twice to make sure. That would be enough.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2002 20:03:39
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    Fozzie_bear wrote:

Hmmm. Shoot him twice to make sure. That would be enough.

Spot the techie - shooting the bloke once isn't enough - he has to have a 'backup' system in place :)
  • Polymath 19 Nov 2002 10:16:41 121 posts
    Seen 13 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    For all of you that are arguing about John Woo's material, you should watch his earlier, pre-Hollywood film's to see him in his natural environment. FB, for a person who has argued for the rather unsavory affect of hollywood on a person's creative genius, isn't it odd that you seem to only discuss his movies post-migration?

In any case, most of his fresh ideas were used pre-hollywood and redone post hollywood. I would argue that Bullet in the Head is probably his most powerful single work, despite my inability to ever find his director's cut.

There are maybe 6-7 versions out in different markets, but the director's edition is by far the longest.

That being said, A David Lynch LOTR... hmm... after Mulholland Drive, I might wonder if it were all a dream... ;)
  • Polymath 19 Nov 2002 10:34:30 121 posts
    Seen 13 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    True.
    I think Face/Off is probably his best Hollywood work.

I think Windtalkers borrows themes from Bullet in the head.
  • Gestalt 19 Nov 2002 14:22:22 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Polymath - "That being said, A David Lynch LOTR... hmm... after Mulholland Drive, I might wonder if it were all a dream... ;)"

"This is the hobbit". ;)
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just brought home Spaced Series 2 and Black Books series 1. A far more worthwhile investment imho. If you like Tolkien, reread the books. Polystyrene bookends ffs?!?

Mind you I did like the Two Towers trailer I saw at Harry Potter the other day. Thought I was bloody SHOCKED at two things: firstly, the massive plot spoiler *snip - you know the one I'm talking about*, secondly the absurd assertion that the eponymous two towers are Orthanc and Barad-Dur. As any fule kno, TTT are Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul.

Edited by otto at 10:46:15 12-11-2002
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ah... yes, I see

Sorry

Forgot that I was posting a spoiler myself. Naughty me for assuming that everyone's read the books.

Sorry bout that
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.