Following Neil Gaiman's American Gods (HBO)

First Previous
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 18:29:30
    I'm just back from one of Neil Gaiman's (many, many) talks at the Edinburgh International Book Festival. He mentioned that HBO had confirmed American Gods yesterday.

Bob Richardson will direct and co-write, with Neil writing the first and last episodes, and perhaps one in the middle of the run.

I'm pleased that this is not being crammed into a cinema release, and think that HBO is a tremendous fit for a series of this sort. Apparently they are also excited by the plot for American Gods 2.

I loved the book, and have high hopes for the adaptation.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 18:37:48
    Good book, should be interesting.
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Aug 2011 18:51:06 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah good news. If only every book adaptation could get a HBO treatment.
  • RyanDS 21 Aug 2011 19:01:48 12,685 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually Neverwhere was an adaption of the TV series,
  • Ged42 21 Aug 2011 19:22:51 7,985 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Glad it's a TV series, it would be horrible mushed up into movie.

I liked the idea of Neverwhere rather than it's execution, I know Gaiman has been trying to get that remade as well. Along with an adaptation of the Death graphic novels.

Trying to think of casting, I keep thinking of Richard Attenborough as Mr Wednesday, for some reason
  • StixxUK 21 Aug 2011 19:28:40 8,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can't wait to see some of this coming through... Ged42 - I had the same thought re Wednesday!
  • TechnoHippy 21 Aug 2011 19:28:53 14,761 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Colour me interested in this.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 19:29:16
    He said his ideal casting for Shadow would've been The Rock. Seriously.

His justification was that he sincerely hoped the character would be mixed race, as in the book. In his view, this is an issue that American television is often uncomfortable with. He also said that the character's bulk might well lead to people assuming, wrongly, that he was thick. He seemed to think that The Rock was one such example. I dare say he's right.

I'd have Harry Dean Stanton for Wednesday, assuming he's not brown bread.
  • President_Weasel 21 Aug 2011 19:31:55 12,355 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Am intrigue.
  • MrDigital 21 Aug 2011 19:42:09 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HBO

Edit: I wrote a whole post... What the hell.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 19:42:23
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Given the abortion that was the TV adaptation of Neverwhere I think we're due a decent Gaiman series.

I didn't think there was too much wrong with the TV series. Sure, it had that cheapo BBC thing going on, but it was enjoyable enough. And as others have said, it came before the book. Expecting a lot better from HBO though, for certain.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Aug 2011 19:43:49 32,585 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn didn't know Gaiman was at the book festival! How was he dutch?

Never read American Gods, really should get round to it. Neverwhere was good though.
  • MrDigital 21 Aug 2011 19:45:05 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MrDigital 21 Aug 2011 19:45:48 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HBO ♥

Are there any other companies that can do this kind of thing as well as HBO? It would be quite worrying if HBO were the sole, consistent creator of these fantastic conversions.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 19:48:44
    dutchspeededup wrote:
    He said his ideal casting for Shadow would've been The Rock. Seriously.
    I would seriously be very good with that.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 19:49:14
    Edit- @Geesh
    Well there's that company (AMC?) that did that superb first season of The Walking Dead, which struck just about the perfect balance between understanding the medium it's in and still respecting the source material. By all accounts, they're trying really hard to spectacularly ruin stuff for season two. That's what sets HBO apart imo, they know how to support things properly.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 19:50:20
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Given the abortion that was the TV adaptation of Neverwhere I think we're due a decent Gaiman series.
    Erm. There wasn't a Tv adaptation of Neverwhere - there was only a novelisation of the TV series which he started writing when they had to cut a lot of stuff for budgetary reasons.
  • Oldest_Ancient 21 Aug 2011 19:52:10 92 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd be happy with Vin Diesel in terms of looks but I just don't think he could pull of that sort of role.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 19:58:35
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Damn didn't know Gaiman was at the book festival! How was he dutch?

Never read American Gods, really should get round to it. Neverwhere was good though.

I loved American Gods. It was packed with ideas.

He was interesting and engaging. The format of these things (an academic interviewing, slightly ineptly, the author is often a bit frustrating.)

If you're interested, he's got at least one more event planned here.
  • localnotail 21 Aug 2011 20:02:45 23,072 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Very excited about this, thanks dutch. Often wondered if they would make it into a film, and hoped they wouldn't.

I want Idris Elba. I think he might make a good Shadow too. I'd be happy with an unknown though. I think the Rock would be a bad choice, he cannot reign his charisma in. Vin Diesel is far too short.

As for Wednesday, well... he needs to be old yet dynamic. Would it be wrong to ask for Ian McShane? I always secretly hoped for Jack Nicholson on form, but it's been a while since he's managed it.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 20:04:25
    McShane is a great shout. He has HBO pedigree too...
  • Tonka 21 Aug 2011 20:07:47 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didn't like the book that much but for some reason I think it could make for a good TV series. Don't know why exactly.

The book was a bit too dry and I guess HBOs standard fare of tits and ass will spice it up till it's bearable
  • Tonka 21 Aug 2011 20:09:09 29,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Max von sydow should do wednesday.
  • localnotail 21 Aug 2011 20:10:01 23,072 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are two versions of the book, I think the longer one is a bit meatier - it didn't seem to add new plot particularly, more flesh out the original story.

Is Max Von Sydow still alive? He was old when I was a kid.
  • Ged42 21 Aug 2011 20:13:32 7,985 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jeff Bridges as Wednesday maybe, if he can reign in the dudeness?

I always imagined Shadow looking kind of like the Nameless One in Planescape Torment of all people. HBO will want someone for the woman to drool over like Erik in True Blood or one of the guys from Supernatural.
  • Deleted user 21 August 2011 20:56:07
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Nup. It's more of a 2001 situation where they were written in tandem.
    No no - it's in the into to the book and everything. He wrote the tv series first, then started on the book when the series couldn't match his vision.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.