Unofficial Eurogamer Android App V2 Page 61

• freakybun 7 Mar 2018 10:50:18 641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've had no recent correspondence from the EG team, which is a bit frustrating. However, I was warned this would happen, I just didn't think it would take them so long.

As for the forums, I switched to scraping the mobile site because the team disabled the forum APIs due to performance issues a few years ago.

When the upcoming redesign hits, I can guarantee you the forums on the app will stop working.

Should anything change, I'll let you know but for now, I've unpublished the app on the play store.

Bear in mind that although we were getting a nice clean fast experience from the app, it had no ads. As intrusive as they are, this is a primary source of revenue for EG so if you enjoy the content on this site, please support them by unblocking them.

Over the years, you guys have been really kind and supportive and I appreciate that.

Here's hoping that the web redesign goes smoothly and looks great on mobile.

Edited by freakybun at 10:51:01 07-03-2018

Edited by freakybun at 10:51:56 07-03-2018
  • Bowzer43 7 Mar 2018 11:54:27 1,891 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Massive shame this has finally happened, really enjoyed the app big thanks to freakybun.

By far the best part of this site is the forums, really good crowd of people who are both supportive and piss taking bastards but ultimately care for each other (cancer thread, charity support etc).

The main site is pretty poor and for the last few months has felt like it was being run part time with very little interesting news, lots of reposts on shit we've all moved on from (destiny, PUBG, zelda, COD etc, and links to etailers.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see this site disappear into a bigger ad filled site elsewhere.

Hope the forums remain intact in the future, but for me it's looking pretty grim.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Mar 2018 12:16:26 4,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Again, thanks for the effort and time you've spent over the years on this freakybun - in all honesty as soon as the forum part of the app stops working I can't imagine I'll visit the site too often which is a shame as it's probably the best forum I've been a part of.
  • eleven63 8 Mar 2018 16:49:06 2,186 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sad to see this happen, been using your app, Freaky, since day 1! Many thanks for a brilliant app, one of the best, clean, clear, quick - thank you for your hard work.

And, OI, Eurogamer, pull your finger out and sort this. A major gaming site, that incudes mobile phone/game reviews and no Android app?! Really? it's 2018 ffs...
  • theguy 8 Mar 2018 19:32:10 952 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got to echo the sentiments and say thanks a bunch freaky for the work on the great app. Glad to have been able to use it all this time. Still find myself launching it instinctively to check the latest, but alas, there's no updates.
    Not really sure what to do now, the mobile site is nowhere near as good, and cumbersome in comparison.
  • mothercruncher 8 Mar 2018 19:53:19 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíve not had an Android phone for quite a few years, thus never used this. Nevertheless, ahem, M4D PR0PZ for putting it together.
    Who knows, depending on the redesign, there may still be a solid reason to make a MKII app.

And bring it to Apple.
  • Trowel 8 Mar 2018 21:35:24 22,031 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RIP :(

What makes the app great is the access to all the Eurogamer content, and the ease of storming the forum on the bog.

However, what makes the app brilliant is the simple and intuitive UX, seemingly minor but relevant customisation options, absolute rock-solid stability (except the whole "could not log you in"-gate...), and most of all it's brilliant because freakybun is brilliant.

I genuinely think my use of EG will halve at least without it. I only hope the powers that be have something up their sleeve, or that they at least consult with the whizzkid that is freakybun.
  • eleven63 8 Mar 2018 21:50:26 2,186 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    RIP :(

What makes the app great is the access to all the Eurogamer content, and the ease of storming the forum on the bog.

However, what makes the app brilliant is the simple and intuitive UX, seemingly minor but relevant customisation options, absolute rock-solid stability (except the whole "could not log you in"-gate...), and most of all it's brilliant because freakybun is brilliant.

I genuinely think my use of EG will halve at least without it. I only hope the powers that be have something up their sleeve, or that they at least consult with the whizzkid that is freakybun.
    This x100
  • Dirtbox 8 Mar 2018 22:03:01 90,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Real shame. I haven't used it for a while after the login stuff, but it shits all over anything EG has done design-wise. Why they can't find it in themselves to offer some support is beyond me, it's not like they have the ability to come close to anything like it.
  • Vortex808 9 Mar 2018 12:22:02 12,366 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't delete the app just yet,mine appears to have updated a bit.
  • philreeduk 9 Mar 2018 12:40:50 474 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Don't delete the app just yet,mine appears to have updated a bit.
    Just to echo this, the app is now showing all the latest stories (currently sea of thieves beta being the top).
  • Rhaegyr 9 Mar 2018 13:25:34 4,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have EG ever actually thanked this guy for the work he's done, never mind thrown some money his way?
  • freakybun 9 Mar 2018 13:26:14 641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well well well, it's alive again!

As I was told the API would be removed at some point in the future, I thought this was it.

Seems more stable, no more random 500 errors :)
  • mrpon 9 Mar 2018 13:32:06 34,430 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Woo woo woo!!
  • Captain_Toad 9 Mar 2018 13:36:11 582 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    REJOICE BRETHREN, REJOICE!
  • freakybun 9 Mar 2018 13:41:48 641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trowel wrote:

However, what makes the app brilliant is the simple and intuitive UX
    Did I ever tell anyone that if you swipe up or down with two fingers, it takes you to the top / bottom of the page?

Edited by freakybun at 13:42:14 09-03-2018
  • Captain_Toad 9 Mar 2018 13:49:34 582 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    freakybun wrote:
    Trowel wrote:

However, what makes the app brilliant is the simple and intuitive UX
    Did I ever tell anyone that if you swipe up or down with two fingers, it takes you to the top / bottom of the page?
    No you damn well didn't :D
  • Captain_Toad 9 Mar 2018 13:50:53 582 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Also, it's lovely being forever immortalised (until the API is turned off) in the beta testers list in the 'about' page :)
  • Jono62 9 Mar 2018 16:39:33 20,120 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great stuff! I've been using the mobile site in preparation and it's rubbish.

The only thing is it doesn't have the sticky thread at the top.
  • Syrette 9 Mar 2018 16:48:14 49,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    I've been using the mobile site in preparation and it's rubbish.
    Why do you think it's rubbish?

Not trying to be argumentative, just think it's perfectly adequate myself!
  • Deleted user 9 March 2018 16:53:16
    Syrette wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:

I use the mobile site most of the time. I'm not a daily visitor anymore anyway so its perfectly fine for my needs.
  • Vortex808 9 Mar 2018 17:12:41 12,366 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:

I'd agree with Jono. The mobile site is adequate, but to my mind, it's just not nearly as fast and as easy to browse threads with as the app is.

Personally, I am really happy the app is working again.
  • mrpon 9 Mar 2018 17:17:46 34,430 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can get 9 threads on screen on the app as opposed to 7 on mobile! On my phone anyway.

One of many things.
  • Dougs 9 Mar 2018 17:29:36 85,761 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Everything is just so much smoother and better designed. The mobile site has the return to forum buttons in weird places, back button is hopeless as it doesn't refresh. No gestures. No dark mode, great for night time reading and not waking my wife. And no ads.
  • Jono62 9 Mar 2018 17:34:40 20,120 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:

I should have said in comparison to the app. It's fine, but the app is so much better.
  • theguy 9 Mar 2018 20:46:38 952 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holy shit, this is a nice treat.. Glad things are back, not sure what EG are doing on their end but I really do hope the app manages to stay up
  • neilka 9 Mar 2018 21:08:07 21,414 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PRAISE REEDPOP
  • Dirtbox 9 Mar 2018 23:29:42 90,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maybe the staff were listening after all!
  • Dirtbox 9 Mar 2018 23:30:59 90,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can even post from it again. Look!

I'm posting!

From the app!
  • Dirtbox 9 Mar 2018 23:41:26 90,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If they do a redesign, I hope it looks exactly like this. They should be taking notes because it's the most usable app for any site and forum I've seen.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.