The Brave Little Soldier thread Page 31

• BreadBinLidHero 6 Nov 2020 21:00:06 10,587 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Fucked my wrist. Yesterday morning I slipped over and, as you do, put my hand out to stop the fall. The irony is that I was actually already on the ground by the time I put my hand out.

No real pain until mid-afternoon, but it became excruciating. No fracture but lots of swelling. Prescribed codeine and ice packs.

I am a brave little soldier.
    Tbf my friend had that same thing this summer but she ended up with a broken wrist, you were lucky.
    I am. If my reactions had been quicker and I'd put my hand out before I hit the floor it would have much worse. As it happens I've merely 'rolled' my wrist.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Nov 2020 22:13:28 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I'm sure you'll be back to shaking your fist disapprovingly at people in no time.
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2021 01:36:59 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Found out I have a brain tumour (benign) called an Acoustic Neuroma. My eyesight is going and my tinnitus might as well just be me standing next to Mogwai 's amps all day.

Oh, and because I had to take a few weeks off to deal with this and scans etc, my firm fired me on Thursday, as i was in my probation period and hadn't filed an upto date Fit note for last week.

I have £0,19p in ny bank account, as i was four days off signing my permanent contract, which included a 16k signing bonus.

So, migraine all day, every day, tinnitus, going blind, and i keep falling over a lot.

All this occurred on the anniversary of my son's funeral.
  • Your-Mother 21 Mar 2021 01:54:30 7,368 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus. No words, aside from really sorry to hear that.
  • Trafford 21 Mar 2021 02:48:40 9,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's all incredibly messed up, really sorry to hear this.
  • fontgeeksogood 21 Mar 2021 05:52:05 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm really sorry to hear this. Do you have a GoFundMe?

You also should get legal advice, as reading this (and assuming you are in the UK) you have been dismissed based on a protected characteristic and might be able to file for unfair dismissal. Probationary periods do not matter in this case
  • challenge_hanukkah 21 Mar 2021 05:56:45 14,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really sorry to hear about all that, Reacher.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 05:56:56 21-03-2021
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2021 06:43:02 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I'm really sorry to hear this. Do you have a GoFundMe?

You also should get legal advice, as reading this (and assuming you are in the UK) you have been dismissed based on a protected characteristic and might be able to file for unfair dismissal. Probationary periods do not matter in this case
    No GoFundMe. I wouldnt even know what that is.

Ironically, I am a lawyer.

Edited by Reacher at 06:44:49 21-03-2021
  • TechnoHippy 21 Mar 2021 06:59:06 19,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sorry to hear your troubles Reacher :-(

I'll chip in if you set up a GoFundMe.
  • LegendaryApe 21 Mar 2021 07:34:48 2,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So sorry to hear that Reacher
  • JoeBlade 21 Mar 2021 07:35:34 6,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm really sorry to hear that Reacher :(
  • Frogofdoom 21 Mar 2021 07:40:53 17,497 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking hell bud, thats just brutal. Is there no surgery or treatments that can help?
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2021 07:40:58 99,066 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sorry to hear this Reacher Are they able to remove it? And Yes, get some employment law advice....
  • Jono62 21 Mar 2021 08:01:22 26,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry to hear that Reacher, so fucked up.
  • robc84 21 Mar 2021 08:21:32 15,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mate, thatís awful. So sorry to hear it. Iíd chip in to a gofundme.
  • Frogofdoom 21 Mar 2021 08:25:10 17,497 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty sure the employer would state performance related issues rather than health for the reason for the failed probation though. Its hard enough fighting a dismissal within the first 2 years let alone a probation period.

Although as a lawyer I imagine reacher will know more about it than me!
  • The_Goon 21 Mar 2021 08:35:38 1,455 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís proper shit. Sorry to hear. Would chip in for a GoFundMe!

Location and type of law? Could have a look at any internal vacancies at my firm, if youíd like.
  • Jono62 21 Mar 2021 08:40:39 26,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Reacher Have they written to you with the reason? IMO I would appeal this stating that the santion is too high and ask for a copy of your contract (if you don't have it already), sickness policy and dismissal policy.
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2021 08:53:38 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Pretty sure the employer would state performance related issues rather than health for the reason for the failed probation though. Its hard enough fighting a dismissal within the first 2 years let alone a probation period.

You are correct. I was registered via a third party agency, so they judt retuned me to that

Thr tumour is safe-ish for.now as it 's quite small. Im due for another CT and an MRI asap. Other than that it's pain management via migraine style stuff, Sumatripam etc.Thst does nothing for.me.though, so im also on a mix of tramadol and diazepam too.

As i type this, i csn barely see it. I":ve had to get three new pairs of glasses (ehich as a 45 year old father, embarrassingly my mum paid for). It takes an hour or so before my vision settlesaftervwaking up, to make even my strongest glasses work. All the time i have very, very bad tinnitus, which i can't hear anything.

Oh, and the DVLA wany to take my licence away.

Sorry to moan on, it's good to have a platform to moan on, that isn't my wife..

Further, those who remember my son passing away, which we posted about on here st the time? It was the third annibersary of his funeral yesterday
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2021 08:59:10 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Thatís proper shit. Sorry to hear. Would chip in for a GoFundMe!

Location and type of law? Could have a look at any internal vacancies at my firm, if youíd like.
    I'm in the North West, but travelling is difficult. I'm a former conveyancer. However, spent a few years in RTA/Employers Liability. Now I do (or did) Finance, especially in arrears wlth vulnerable clients in the HRTT dept.
  • Frogofdoom 21 Mar 2021 09:05:34 17,497 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not moaning mate, its venting which is important. You have already been through things that noone should have to with your son.
  • fontgeeksogood 21 Mar 2021 09:08:49 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:

I don't know if it helps Reacher given his employment arrangements but:

1) there is no difference, legally speaking, between a "probation period" and your first two years in a job. Probation periods are irrelevant; meaningful job protection doesn't start until two years of continuous employment
    2) this does not include protected characteristics, of which nine exist, including disability. It is right that it is up to the employer to prove poor performance, but it is incredibly difficult to prove that in cases where protected characteristics could contribute to the reason (again, depending on whom it is Reacher actually works for in this case - unclear), and would most likely be ruled unfair dismissal.

Not a lawyer, but have had plenty of interactions with them for dismissal cases as part of jobs when I lived in the UK
  • ZuluHero 21 Mar 2021 09:53:50 10,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Reacher yeah I remember, I still can't imagine what you must be going through, even 3 years on. And now all this on top, how many mirrors did you break as a child? Sounds tough. Really sorry to hear about this latest development.

Don't feel bad with your mother helping you, I'm sure she wishes she can do more. I had a spot of trouble a few years ago and my mum helped me, she told me even though I'm in my 40s, I'll always be her little boy.
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2021 10:46:39 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took a few minutes to type this up. Please, understand that I am not begging or asking, I'm following suggestions from a community of people that have been amsxingky supportive in the past.

https://gofund.me/970cd7f5
  • Jono62 21 Mar 2021 10:49:55 26,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I will put some money in when I get paid Friday.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Mar 2021 10:54:19 23,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking hell, just read this thread. Reacher, my heart goes out to you man. I'm in a fortunate position and sometimes I forget that when I have bad days, I will gladly donate. Hope everything turns around for you. Genuinely.
  • Jono62 21 Mar 2021 10:57:33 26,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll share it where I can also.
  • Psychotext 21 Mar 2021 11:11:02 70,054 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Motherfuckers. Makes me painfully angry, I'll help where I can.
  • Reacher 21 Mar 2021 11:47:45 3,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I get back on my feet, I will return the same amount to a charity of the forums choice.
  • challenge_hanukkah 21 Mar 2021 11:51:19 14,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    When I get back on my feet, I will return the same amount to a charity of the forums choice.
    I like you.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.