Xbox One Page 1637

• Vortex808 24 Dec 2018 09:14:47 13,070 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I forgot to check if H5 was in the sale. May need that for once the MCC is done.

Played it already, but the MP was great and I'd quite like to see how it looks in 4k.

H4 looks lovely in MCC.
  • Malek86 24 Dec 2018 09:55:58 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Downloaded Snake Pass too, just to see if I like it. It's often on sale, so eventually I can just buy it later.

Already played Halo 5, Ori, MCC, Gears 4, and most of the other big titles.
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Dec 2018 11:54:09 3,323 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Halo 4 Campaign is really dull, it looked amazing when released on 360 and still looks great on the MCC but didn't like the new enemies (but 5 tweaked them to make them a bit more fun to fight against. The opening of 4 was great, will give it that.

Thought campaign of 5 was an improvement over 4 but have not gone back to since release (also my xbox deleted the game when the patch update failed)
  • Vortex808 24 Dec 2018 15:08:45 13,070 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The new enemies were a bit bilge in 4, for sure. Only replayed 4 up to when they're about to re-appear in my MCC replay.
  • Ror 24 Dec 2018 15:30:20 18,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite liked 'em, myself. The Crawlers almost make me think of the Flood, the way they're able to swarm and overwhelm you, and I like the Watchers the best, given they can do a few different things (fire on you, shield or resurrect enemies). The Knights were a pain until I realised you can just get up in their face with a Suppressor and utterly shred them.

I liked the way they reworked them in 5 though, to be more like mini-bosses. And I really like the Soldiers in 5.

Reach's Elites are still the best though.
  • Pierre2k 24 Dec 2018 15:30:31 1,087 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Halo 4 Campaign is really dull, it looked amazing when released on 360 and still looks great on the MCC but didn't like the new enemies (but 5 tweaked them to make them a bit more fun to fight against. The opening of 4 was great, will give it that.

Thought campaign of 5 was an improvement over 4 but have not gone back to since release (also my xbox deleted the game when the patch update failed)
    To be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything (opinions and all that), but it's funny just how far our opinions contrast here. Halo 4's campaign was pinnacle of the series stuff for me (think I gave it 9/10 on the completed games thread). Loved it. I've never really understood the interest in Master Chief as a character.l as he's just incredibly bland and generic. The quality of the story in the Combat Evolved is massively overrated IMO and Halo 2's campaign was a complete mess. Halo 4 turned it round for me. The relationship between Cortana and Chief in particular really had me hooked. Halo 5's story was just a bit dull and never went anywhere. It felt a bit like one of those book series, turned into a movie, where they split the movie and release it as 2 parts. Part 1 feels like an overly long prologue to a bigger story, which is how Halo 5 felt to me.

I actually liked the Promethians in both H4 and H5. Coupled with the Covenant they provide a bit more variety. The gameplay of H5 was fine, but without a remotely interesting narrative to push it along, i might has well have been shooting paper targets. Found it all a bit boring.

Edited by Pierre2k at 15:30:55 24-12-2018
  • askew 24 Dec 2018 15:31:16 18,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been enjoying 5. Missions seem shorter than previous games. While it runs buttery smooth on the X, it looks a bitÖ plain. The first time it's impressed me has been the Jordan-esqu San Helios(?) mission to find the Arbiter. I seem to remember 4 looking rather shiny. Those Prometheans (or whatever they're called) seem easier this time around too, and they certainly have the best weapons. All that neon makes me long for Tron 3.0.

That said, I've not got the foggiest about what's going on these days. Could have done with a recap as to why the Chief was on the lam, and I vaguely remember Nathan Fillion from ODST, but who knows if it's actually the same characterÖ
  • Pierre2k 24 Dec 2018 15:37:51 1,087 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I've been enjoying 5. Missions seem shorter than previous games. While it runs buttery smooth on the X, it looks a bitÖ plain. The first time it's impressed me has been the Jordan-esqu San Helios(?) mission to find the Arbiter. I seem to remember 4 looking rather shiny. Those Prometheans (or whatever they're called) seem easier this time around too, and they certainly have the best weapons. All that neon makes me long for Tron 3.0.

That said, I've not got the foggiest about what's going on these days. Could have done with a recap as to why the Chief was on the lam, and I vaguely remember Nathan Fillion from ODST, but who knows if it's actually the same characterÖ
    This is a bit of an issue in every Halo game to my mind. Bar the first, I've found them all hard to follow. I tend to play them up to a point where I think "what the hell is going on", and periodically refer back the the plot/synopsis info on Wikipedia, being careful not to read past where I am in the game. Just to ensure I'm still up to speed without spoiling anything. Too background and unexplained lore at this point.

Oh, and Buck (Nathan Fillion) is the same character. He's no longer an ODST, but a Spartan 4. Where, when or how this happened, God knows. When the hell did the series even introduce Spartan 4's as a concept, where they no longer have to be genetically altered at birth?
  • Ror 24 Dec 2018 15:40:49 18,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think people remember CE's story fondly as it took great inspiration from the likes of Aliens and Starship Troopers, and told a fairly simple, but engaging story. There was plenty of mystery in there too, to make you wonder at the depth beneath the surface.

The problem with mystery is that you have to answer it at some point, and then it's gone. Halo 2 was an attempt to do just that, but it got so chopped up during development that it ended up being a bit of a fudge. Whole levels were removed, including one before the cutscene that just suddenly introduced the Gravemind, which would have served to properly establish it. I think you have to at least admit that pulling the view out to show the Human-Covenant War from the other side was a pretty ballsy move, even if you didn't like it in practise. I massively appreciate what they tried to do, even if I don't think the story was a total success.

I agree about the Chief-Cortana relationship, though. There's that cutscene at the start of the level 'Shutdown' that is one of my favourite moments of the entire series.

• Ror 24 Dec 2018 15:47:03 18,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spartan-IVs were introduced in Halo 4. They're adult conscripts drawn from the other branches of the UNSC rather than kidnapped/conscripted kids. The augmentation procedures are much safer than the ones used for the IIs and IIIs (which makes sense, given the IIs were augmented about 30-odd years before the events of Halo 4 and the IIIs about ten years after that). They do go into more detail in the expanded universe stuff though - you see Commander Palmer, who was formerly an ODST, becoming an S-IV in the graphic novel Halo Initiation.

EDIT Also, Chief going on the lam happens at the end of Halo 5's second mission :D He sees what appears to be Cortana saying "Meridian is next," so he heads off there thinking he might find her.

Edited by Ror at 16:04:18 24-12-2018
  • Vortex808 24 Dec 2018 15:53:13 13,070 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cortana-Chief relationship was certainly well done in 4 and I do agree the prometheans were much better in 5.

I still prefer fighting covenant though. Gimme some Brutes, jackals or Elites to fight any time!
  • pixelwinx 24 Dec 2018 20:41:21 6 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Just a question about the DVD playback on the X. Bought my new console last week and zero issues apart from a total inability for the blu ray player to play ball with any of my DVDís. Game disc and blu ray all good but a DVD just doesnít load and I just get the unrecognised message and error code. A glance on
    One suggests this isnít unknown and in all likelihood itís related to one of the latest firmware updates. I really donít want to return the thing if thatís the case and if a new one will have same issue. Can anyone else confirm if theyíd had the issue and if itís solvable at this moment in time?
  • Malek86 24 Dec 2018 22:17:02 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm surprised that people here seem to have already forgotten about the terrible Guardian fights in H5.

If you are trying to complete the game on legendary, those battles are going to be your nightmare. They are the reason why I haven't even attempted to play the game again after completing it once.

Edited by Malek86 at 22:17:48 24-12-2018
  • Ror 24 Dec 2018 22:33:19 18,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You mean the Warden Eternal fights. They patched them some time after release, and you can cheese the last one as well.
  • Malek86 24 Dec 2018 23:15:33 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've heard the three Wardens were slightly nerfed, which doesn't really sound like it should fix the problem, because they needed to be massively nerfed.

That said, if that was enough, maybe I oughta try it out someday.

Edited by Malek86 at 23:15:43 24-12-2018
  • FIFAfan 27 Dec 2018 21:20:33 218 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I think people remember CE's story fondly as it took great inspiration from the likes of Aliens and Starship Troopers, and told a fairly simple, but engaging story. There was plenty of mystery in there too, to make you wonder at the depth beneath the surface.

The problem with mystery is that you have to answer it at some point, and then it's gone. Halo 2 was an attempt to do just that, but it got so chopped up during development that it ended up being a bit of a fudge. Whole levels were removed, including one before the cutscene that just suddenly introduced the Gravemind, which would have served to properly establish it. I think you have to at least admit that pulling the view out to show the Human-Covenant War from the other side was a pretty ballsy move, even if you didn't like it in practise. I massively appreciate what they tried to do, even if I don't think the story was a total success.
    I appreciate what they've tried to do in Halo's 2-5 in expanding the story/universe. Problem for me is it's either been executed poorly as you said (Halo 2) or entire necessary backstory has been missing from the game, making it a hard-to-follow, dis-engaging mess (4 and 5).

So all-in-all the simple but engaging intro to the Halo story (Reach and CE) is where I loved and left the series really.
  • askew 27 Dec 2018 22:59:24 18,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror Right ( :p ) but he seems to be off doing his own thing right at the start too. The first mission with Osiris has you capture Dr Halsey and the implication is that chief has gone rogue.

Anywho. Sci-fi mumbo jumbo aside, itís been fun. Up until this boss battle against the Warden that I think has been mentioned above.
  • H1ggyLTD 27 Dec 2018 23:01:07 11,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't the Warden battle the one you can just jump past?
  • Ror 27 Dec 2018 23:11:15 18,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @askew I think the first two missions are happening more or less concurrently. Blue Team's first level is them on a mission to secure the space station Argent Moon (which they blow up instead, because big space explosions are cool and stuff). It's only at the end of the mission that Chief decides to go off-script and look for Cortana.

The story is a bit of a mess anyway, there are some signs that things got chopped and changed partway through development, a la Halo 2, like one of the missions each on Meridian and Sanghelios, which feel like the bones of something more involved (and, as an aside, it's kind of annoying that they start the game off with grabbing Halsey, when most players probably didn't play Spartan Ops in Halo 4 and were probably thinking, "wtf was she doing with the Covenant anyway?!?!?!").

You fight the Warden a few times. The last one you can just bypass.
  • askew 28 Dec 2018 11:00:21 18,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This one where he keeps replicating himself and spawning continuously? (After the Guardian escape)
  • H1ggyLTD 28 Dec 2018 11:07:51 11,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes. Run up the structure then Jump to be next area.
  • askew 28 Dec 2018 13:44:09 18,648 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers! Got bogged down with the knights he spawns.
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Dec 2018 13:52:49 5,489 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wait, you can skip that fight? well that sucks.
  • H1ggyLTD 28 Dec 2018 13:59:08 11,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D
  • Malek86 30 Dec 2018 10:46:59 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just noticed that the 1 month of Gold for 1 euro ofer is back (again). I might pick it up just to play Celeste. Difficult platformers are right up my alley. Far Cry 2 could be a bonus too.

And if I wait until January to pay (the offer expires in six days), I can nab a free 360 game for February too. I'll take that.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:50:21 30-12-2018
  • JamboWayOh 30 Dec 2018 11:58:19 11,836 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I've got my xbox back after leaving it in Brum and I've updated it, however the OS has become ridiculously slow and unresponsive. Wtf is going on? Is this the normal xbox experience now?
  • H1ggyLTD 30 Dec 2018 11:59:08 11,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah my launch day ONE is slow these days.
  • kentmonkey 30 Dec 2018 12:20:10 22,881 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've tried to add the one month for £1 offer for gamepads but it's not taken it. It's just taking me to the gamepass page.

However, I've added the 30 day code I've got with my Xbox on Christmas Day and it's saying I won't be charged until February 27. Which is two months.

It hasn't charged a £1 either and it's not showing on my order history.

I don't understand, but I seem to have got an extra month somehow, but can't add the month for £1.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.