Connecting an N64 to a hdtv

First Previous
  • hypernova 17 Nov 2011 20:43:15 1,965 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hi,

I've googled this, and it seems it's a known problem. I dug out my N64 (which I know works). I only have the enclosed RF cable, and when I plug it in to my plasma RF socket (Panasonic PX 4280B), I get "no signal". Anyone got an N64 working? I've also tried it on the sdtv downstairs, and again I get no signal.

Cheers.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Nov 2011 20:48:00 9,263 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Channel 8. Those were the days.
  • darrenb 17 Nov 2011 20:49:38 992 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It works fine if a little washed out looking on a Sony HDTV. It works much better with a Gamecube RGB scart lead if you can get hold of one..
  • Deleted user 17 November 2011 20:49:53
    You can't tune in an N64, the games are supposed to be slightly blurry.
  • hypernova 17 Nov 2011 20:51:19 1,965 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tried tuning in ecu, but all options refer to the digital tv (we have cable). I can't find a way to see the N64 :(
  • darrenb 17 Nov 2011 20:54:22 992 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    try switching your tuner from DTV to ATV, the analogue tuner might just be turned off in the menu
  • SG 17 Nov 2011 20:56:17 1,896 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Did you tune it in?
    This.

/facepalm

I'd get ah old of a composite or scart cable though (doesn't matter which as it only outputs in composite (unless modified)).
  • mal 17 Nov 2011 21:13:30 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    You can't tune in an N64, the games are supposed to be slightly blurry.
    That's why you buy a US N64, which doesn't suffer from that problem. The blurriness is only because of the aerial input. US N64s supported S-video, which is far crisper.
    I'm pretty sure the blurriness is a deliberate masking by Nintendo to hide the blockiness of the textures. There are a few games which use the N64's 2d mode, and those modes are far sharper than anything shown in 3d, even over the box-in RF cable (assuming it's tuned in).
  • Thecunce 17 Nov 2011 21:16:01 114 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My n64 looks shit on both my tellys a shame really as it makes it hard to play
  • Dirtbox 17 Nov 2011 22:23:38 91,175 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 17 November 2011 22:36:17
    rebot it
  • Deleted user 17 November 2011 22:39:29
    darrenb wrote:
    It works fine if a little washed out looking on a Sony HDTV. It works much better with a Gamecube RGB scart lead if you can get hold of one..
    Which will only work if your n64 has been modified for RGB
  • neilka 17 Nov 2011 23:40:28 22,592 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just buy a Wii, the drop in visual fidelity from the N64 isn't all that noticeable after a while.
  • Cappy 18 Nov 2011 00:43:24 14,098 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got an RGB modded NTSC N64 and I've never managed to get a usable picture on my Samsung HDTV.

I've tried every lead I've got, RF, S-Video, a SCART lead, the only lead that gets me any sort of picture is the official Nintendo Gamecube SCART. Unfortunately the contrast and brightness are totally wrong making most games undecipherable dark murk.
  • Mayhem64 18 Nov 2011 18:56:06 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that was my suggestion too, you need to use the analog tuner side of the menu, not the digital one if you want a picture from the RF.

Bit surprised that you don't have any composite cables for Nintendo consoles though, I thought they were bundled by default?
  • Deleted user 18 November 2011 19:00:23
    I get motion sickness from playing Perfect Dark on my HDTV..
  • SG 18 Nov 2011 21:47:27 1,896 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I've got an RGB modded NTSC N64 and I've never managed to get a usable picture on my Samsung HDTV.

I've tried every lead I've got, RF, S-Video, a SCART lead, the only lead that gets me any sort of picture is the official Nintendo Gamecube SCART. Unfortunately the contrast and brightness are totally wrong making most games undecipherable dark murk.
    This always happens with the RGB mods, the cable needs to be modified as well (I think a resistor is put in or something) - it's something that needs a lot of research put into it.

Mayhem64 wrote:
    Yeah, that was my suggestion too, you need to use the analog tuner side of the menu, not the digital one if you want a picture from the RF.

Bit surprised that you don't have any composite cables for Nintendo consoles though, I thought they were bundled by default?
    Only in Europe, not the UK. Definitely worth getting them over the RF tuner though.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2011 11:24:07
    Cappy wrote:

Once they're modified they'll only work on RGB, sounds like you also need to do the capacitor modification on your scary lead too.
  • hypernova 20 Nov 2011 17:57:59 1,965 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers guys, it works on my massive old Toshiba crtv downstairs, but for some reason the Panny plasma analogue tuner only offers me the 5 channels.

Long time since I've had to tune a console in, so forgot. Now to get my Dreamcast working on the plasma :eek:
  • hypernova 20 Nov 2011 18:07:29 1,965 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    heh, I'm sure my fluff won't be as infamous as phage's.
  • Cappy 20 Nov 2011 18:25:37 14,098 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    scary lead...
    Very good.

Thanks, I'll take a look at how difficult it is to modify the leads, it depends if it works with a third party lead which was never much good with the Gamecube in the first place, I'll willingly sacrifice one of them.

It's times like this when you wish you're an electronics and soldering genius who can assemble custom leads after studying the pinout.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Feb 2015 13:39:35 8,013 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apologies for bumping a 4 year old thread. I've been moving some stuff from my parents attic into my own and stumbled across Star Wars Rogue Squadron, which I thought I'd sold long ago. Tried to connect it all last night, the N64 works but when I've plugged the RF cable into the aerial socket, there's 0 feedback and just says 'no signal'. Is there anyway to get it working or is it just a case of buying a composite AV cable?
  • Malek86 9 Feb 2015 13:45:38 8,578 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A composite AV cable is your best bet, and it will look better than RF anyway.

And you can use the cable from the GC if you already have it, since it's the same.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2015 13:46:59
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Apologies for bumping a 4 year old thread. I've been moving some stuff from my parents attic into my own and stumbled across Star Wars Rogue Squadron, which I thought I'd sold long ago. Tried to connect it all last night, the N64 works but when I've plugged the RF cable into the aerial socket, there's 0 feedback and just says 'no signal'. Is there anyway to get it working or is it just a case of buying a composite AV cable?
    Dont forget that a modern TV is set up to look for digital channels which the N64 output isn't within. You'll need to plug it in and do a "standard" non- digital aerial scan and hopefully it will pick it up.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Feb 2015 13:53:45 8,013 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers chaps. I've no idea how to get the TV to go non-digital. I'll have a look at the manual and just get a AV to go with it anyway as it's only a couple of quid.

Thanks again.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.