Following The FA Cup Page 318

• Blackmarsh63 27 Jan 2019 16:33:51 2,504 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @beastmaster its about to be 2
  • reddevil93 27 Jan 2019 16:35:40 14,965 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The ridiculous non call on Sanchez’ pushing Zaha over worked out pretty well for Palace.
  • robc84 27 Jan 2019 16:38:41 13,683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is going well then.

I’m out but was hoping to catch the second half. Not sure i’ll be rushing back now!
  • reddevil93 27 Jan 2019 16:41:02 14,965 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The ref really not giving a yellow there for the foul on Lucas?
  • Blackmarsh63 27 Jan 2019 16:45:19 2,504 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cracking penalty that Keiron :lol:
  • DakeyrasUK 27 Jan 2019 16:46:05 2,909 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lmao, this game is funny. Spurs proper fudging it!
  • SnackPlissken 27 Jan 2019 17:17:49 1,096 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Spurs just doing an Arsenal. Out of the domestic cups. Just knocked out of last 16 to go.
  • reddevil93 27 Jan 2019 17:21:35 14,965 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spurs doing a Spurs surely. Arsenal have won a few FA cups in recent years.
  • SnackPlissken 27 Jan 2019 17:22:57 1,096 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @reddevil93 nah. I’ve witnessed the baron spell before the f.a cup wins. Definitely doing an Arsenal.
  • robc84 27 Jan 2019 17:49:44 13,683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well this season has unraveled really fast. :(
  • mangojoe 27 Jan 2019 17:58:19 2,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just waiting for Poch to say how proud he is and how he is very chappy with the squad
  • Syrette 27 Jan 2019 18:26:16 50,288 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    'Lawro' is just awful.
  • Trowel 27 Jan 2019 18:44:36 22,625 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mangojoe wrote:
    Just waiting for Poch to say how proud he is and how he is very chappy with the squad
    Just waiting for Levy to tweet a photo of his cock.
  • spurslol 27 Jan 2019 18:57:01 94 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Sorry I'm late

Twice in one week

spurslol
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Jan 2019 08:04:43 16,324 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Well this season has unraveled really fast. :(
    It’s been a bad week, but we’re still six points better off than any other PL season ever. The most important thing for this season was always top four so we’d be in the CL when the new stadium was open, and most were assuming we wouldn’t even manage that. We still might not, but we’re still overachieving right now despite the media’s desperation to paint the opposite picture.
  • robc84 28 Jan 2019 08:50:53 13,683 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

Don’t get me wrong, we are doing ok all things considered, but with the loss to Utd, injury to Kane, then Dele, then out of both cups it’s really taken a turn for the worse.

Perhaps not unexpected really as challenging on 4 fronts was not realistic given our resources, but disappointing nonetheless.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Jan 2019 08:57:59 16,324 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I get it. Again, a bad week. And going out to Palace hurts. It’s more irritating when losing to teams like Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United etc is painted as the wheels coming off, whereas in fact the fear and respect those teams have of us should be painted as punching above our weight.

I’m also annoyed that this current situation is being painted as a result of not spending. 14 injured players, almost all of which are first team, would be a crisis for any team. If we’d have bought we’d have also had to sell, so it’s nothing to do with the squad. It’s mostly bad luck and partly still related to the World Cup.

Not that I wouldn’t say no to some signings right now...
  • cowell 28 Jan 2019 09:06:28 1,946 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Game of the round tonight. Fake Bees vs Real Bees.

Come on!
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2019 09:53:27 89,892 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

It’s been a bad week, but we’re still six points better off than any other PL season ever. The most important thing for this season was always top four so we’d be in the CL when the new stadium was open, and most were assuming we wouldn’t even manage that. We still might not, but we’re still overachieving right now despite the media’s desperation to paint the opposite picture.
    For the club, top 4 is everything, but having been in the very same position, as a fan (and I suspect the players), winning cups is far more satisfying. I get why it's so essential for both Spurs and Arsenal but all it does is highlight how money has fucked everything.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Jan 2019 11:21:55 16,324 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think one position your fans haven’t been is a sustained amount of time outside the CL. It’s not a nice place to be and a tricky one to dig yourself out of. Same point you’re making about money fucking the game, but I would expect our fans to have better perspective on this. This is why Pochettino talks about top four being the real goal. He’s right.
  • nickthegun 28 Jan 2019 11:48:00 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was listening to Danny Kelly a while ago and he had someone on doing an interesting segment on the irony of Arsenal moving to a big stadium to ensure their mediocrity.

It's quite interesting to hear about how much the stadium move backfired when it's spelled out.
  • THFourteen 28 Jan 2019 11:52:27 52,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I was listening to Danny Kelly a while ago and he had someone on doing an interesting segment on the irony of Arsenal moving to a big stadium to ensure their mediocrity.

It's quite interesting to hear about how much the stadium move backfired when it's spelled out.
    The point of the new stadium was to ultimately compete financially with teams like Manchester Utd on a level playing field.

Unfortunately, Abramovich and Sheik Mansoor and Kroenke came along, and now no amount of competing financially makes a difference. Not that we can even do that properly thesedays.
  • nickthegun 28 Jan 2019 11:55:46 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's the excuse but spurs and Liverpool have edged you out and they aren't owned by nation states.
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2019 12:01:57 89,892 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Timing, as ever, is everything. We moved to enable us to keep pace with Utd. Then Chelsea and City came in with £££ (and LFC to a lesser extent), new TV deals negated a lot of the benefits of increased match day revenue and our hopeless commercial Dept have hamstrung us even further (both with the deals we had to lock ourselves into to get the stadium built and underperforming since).

Twitter is always full of "Highbury died for this" kind of melodrama, and whilst we might have won more had we stayed, I think longer term, we'd be even further behind Utd, Chelsea and City - it's why Spurs have built the new WHL and LFC are trying to increase Anfield. What has changed though is the atmosphere and who attends though. Way more day trippers and the old guard priced out. Some of the change isn't all bad but it's not the same as it used to be.

@Kal - even 2 years out and it's abundantly clear how hard it is to break back in, when on a budget. Swiss Ramble's latest analysis is pretty damning. And none of this is mutually exclusive of course - it's a vicious (or virtuous) circle. If you get CL, more cash, attract better players, more squad depth, stand a better chance of winning things etc. But as a fan I can't say I miss the CL (aside from not being able to go to as many games).
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2019 12:04:48 89,892 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    That's the excuse but spurs and Liverpool have edged you out and they aren't owned by nation states.
    Spurs have been very savvy in their recruitment and have a great manager. Challenge is keeping that together. Fenway Sports have invested quite a lot in Liverpool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ac47ra/premier_league_clubs_source_of_funds_last_10/
  • THFourteen 28 Jan 2019 12:05:54 52,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ten years of bad management of youth players, transfers and the squad i guess.

WENGAAAAAH
  • nickthegun 28 Jan 2019 12:56:20 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think the wenger wilderness years were the biggest contributing factor. The dude did touch on that saying he was thought of as on par with fergie and that he would also be able to work miracles with massive under investment.

Spoiler: he couldn't.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Jan 2019 13:09:03 6,519 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You'll pardon us if fans of established PL teams talking about how money has fucked the game doesn't involve at least a slightly wry smile

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.