Fortnite - From Epic Page 3

• LittleSparra 27 Sep 2017 23:28:56 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmmm... nah for me so far. It runs like shit, which I don't mind offline but online is not fun, and it doesn't feel very nuanced in any way.
  • JiveHound 28 Sep 2017 00:02:27 9,842 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I like the concept but it's a bit broad in its application.

As an appetiser for battlegrounds it's convinced me of the potential. I don't think Bluehole have much to worry about long term, if anything I think this will switch more people on to the genre.

Edited by JiveHound at 00:03:57 28-09-2017
  • LittleSparra 1 Oct 2017 14:48:07 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gave it another shot. Got to last 2 by hiding in a bush.

Got drop on last guy. Opened fire. Game froze.
    Unfroze. Dead.

No thanks. Byeeeeee.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Oct 2017 15:50:17 31,836 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I tried this out but just found it incredibly dull.
  • mangojoe 1 Oct 2017 15:54:07 1,973 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @LittleSparra what are you playing it on? I haven't had an issue on ps4 pro. Runs with no lag at all. Game is fun if a bit barebones at the moment . It does make me excited for pubg on consoles though
  • Sharz 1 Oct 2017 18:11:43 1,857 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No performance issues here, runs perfectly and appears to be bug free. However cant say it is for me after had a few more games. Just appears to be abit pointless as you can wait around for minutes at a time doing nothing and hope to either find someone not paying attention or hiding from someone that is.

Frankly it needs more of everything. More depth, more goals, more varied weapons and more interesting things to do in general than just wander around.

Edited by Sharz at 18:13:37 01-10-2017
  • cjb_bjc 1 Oct 2017 18:23:01 1,976 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's great. Real risk vs reward style gameplay that will get a lot more tactical once people get the building understood
  • mangojoe 1 Oct 2017 18:49:36 1,973 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haven't done much building and it doesn't seem essential at the moment . Someone did build a wall round them though when I tried to sniper them
  • Reacher 5 Oct 2017 16:14:25 2,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started playing this last night with the Battle Royale mode after getting a bit fed up with PUGB. I really like the presentation and being a bit less hardcore than PUGB while maintaining (ripping off) the same game structure.

Liking it a lot so far.
  • dsmx 5 Oct 2017 16:38:15 8,251 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have this on the PS4 and I've ventured into both modes, to be honest I enjoy both of them.

I know the PvE is a massive grind but I still have fun in it and the battle royale mode is a laugh, the ability to build as well as destroy structures makes for some interesting battles.

Since the Battle Royale mode is free as well as fun to play it's a struggle to say anything other than people should give it a go.
  • Reacher 5 Oct 2017 17:32:13 2,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    Haha. Is it that quick to do?
    Yeah, you can sort it out pretty fast. I built a wall within a building using some bricks and made myself a little den as I was in the middle of the circle, was good fun.
  • Reacher 6 Oct 2017 22:32:29 2,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been on this a lot more today. I've been hitting the top 10 regularly with 5 or more kills, which is nice. I really like the base building at the end when everyone tries to build a hidy hole in the top 10.

I also prefer the smaller map and the increased speed of the game compared to PUBG.
  • TurkeyNeck 7 Oct 2017 00:10:19 158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Never played pubg as I dont have a PC but Battle Royale is fantastic. I play with three other mates in a four man squad and it can get really intense!

I love how we have to come up with tactics on the fly. Tonight we got our first win. Two other squads were fighting it out and we chose to all line up against a cliff wall and wait until they'd finished fighting then charge out and pick off the couple remaining. Worked a treat and it's a great laugh.

It's a no brainer for free!
  • Bambot 7 Oct 2017 10:18:20 1,207 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've not played online shooters for a long time. Really like the sound of PUBG but got a mac sadly. So when this came along I gave it a go. Got through about six matches and gave up. I last for about two minutes max before dying, and then you've got about 3-4 minutes of faff waiting to touchdown on the map for the next game, and it's not enough time to learn the game controls or tactics or anything. Bit frustrating for a newbie.
  • JiveHound 7 Oct 2017 10:39:54 9,842 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It helps if you're in a squad but the early hours are really tough going in this and I imagine PUBR.

I still don't feel like I get combat fully as it's over so quick. I don't have a handle on ttk, the guns different handling etc.. which makes me extremely nervous when a fight breaks out.

I think the learning is part of the appeal and the tail.
  • caligari 7 Oct 2017 13:18:39 17,930 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I keep deleting this game after another 'instadeathfromnowhere'...but then I find myself being drawn back to it (which unfortunately means yet another 14 hour wait as I download and reinstall). I'll have to learn to control my emotions.

My girlfriend is actually really addicted to this game, too - I watched her get her first Battle Royale win last night. Her and one other guy ended up duking it out in the smallest of circles. I think the best I've ever managed to finish is 2nd...so jah, she's having fun reminding me that I'm terrible at 'puter games.
  • DangerousDave_87 22 Oct 2017 23:53:03 5,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Started playing tonight and its ok. Some games are very laggy though and I've seen people just appear in front of me out of nowhere, equally oblivious of my own existence.
  • 1Dgaf 23 Oct 2017 00:06:22 5,065 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found it very frustrating when I started a few days ago. I hadn't played the PVE game.

What helped me was realising the game is about avoiding other people. Minimising risk. Only taking a shot if you think you've got a guaranteed kill.

Other things

Crouch is left shoulder button on the Xbox.

You 'use' items like bandages by pressing Y to pick the one yo want and then holding right trigger. You can move while doing this.

If you pick up a potion, that's an armour boost. Use it immediately.

Whatever item you've got equipped will be swapped with whatever you're trying to pick up. Press Y to swap to an item you don't want before picking up something you do want.

You can also drop items by going into your inventory, picking the one to drop and then (I think) clicking right stick. But this is slower than swapping.

I still haven't figured out how to place traps. I think floor traps have to be placed on a piece of flooring. You can't just put them on the ground.

If you can land on the roof of a building after jumping, you can dig through it to the attic. There will often be a crate in there.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 00:07:25 23-10-2017
  • RelaxedMikki 23 Oct 2017 09:51:46 2,855 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My son and his ten year old mates love this. They play it even more than Rocket League.

I can't see the appeal, personally. Seems really janky? I guess you really need to be in a party of several people to get the most out of it.
  • UKRaver1980 23 Oct 2017 10:27:43 45 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't stop playing this game, I even had a dream about it last night :D

I haven't enjoyed an online game this much in years. I hope they add to it, different maps etc and customisation (which I think they have already mentioned) but it's bloody brilliant. Playing it on PS4 Pro and PC.
  • Reacher 23 Oct 2017 10:28:43 2,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki My lad is 10 and he's teaming with his group of mates on it all the time. They seem to enjoy it, so fair play to them.
  • UKRaver1980 23 Oct 2017 10:31:01 45 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Started playing tonight and its ok. Some games are very laggy though and I've seen people just appear in front of me out of nowhere, equally oblivious of my own existence.
    Check which region it set to if you haven't already. Mine defaulted to America which was over 100ms ping, once I switched it to Europe the ping dropped to 30ms and the lag was non existent for me.
  • DaM 23 Oct 2017 11:14:32 17,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    @RelaxedMikki My lad is 10 and he's teaming with his group of mates on it all the time. They seem to enjoy it, so fair play to them.
    Mine too (13). Keeps going on about it, telling me to play it.
  • DangerousDave_87 23 Oct 2017 11:45:30 5,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @UKRaver1980 Good advice! I did notice this after my first couple of games and bizarrely the lag kicked in after I switched to the European servers. It calmed down enough towards the end of my stint, but there's definitely some instability in some games.
  • Vortex808 23 Oct 2017 11:46:48 12,617 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, a timely thread bump- My boy spent all weekend badgering me to get this for him. I relented yesterday evening and he can't wait to try it out.

He plays too much of that roblox shite, so janky iffy, laggy games will be quite a treat for him compared to that load of bollocks.
  • Bambot 23 Oct 2017 12:35:30 1,207 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't realise you could watch the person who killed you, and the person who kills them, and so on, if you stick around after death. Actually more entertaining than playing the game itself, and you learn how to actually play (and not play!) and that most of the time the person that killed you just got lucky, coz they get real unlucky moments later often! ;)
  • UKRaver1980 23 Oct 2017 12:54:50 45 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    I didn't realise you could watch the person who killed you, and the person who kills them, and so on, if you stick around after death. Actually more entertaining than playing the game itself, and you learn how to actually play (and not play!) and that most of the time the person that killed you just got lucky, coz they get real unlucky moments later often! ;)
    I watch them hoping they die.

I know, I'm not right in the head lol
  • Daz190uk 23 Oct 2017 13:52:12 333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like the concept but was surprised about how quickly games are over.

I might be missing something but it seems very repetitive to me, not sure where the long term appeal is.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.